Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Tree Dude posted:

Better Call Saul Insider podcast. Yes it's official. They did it for at least a few seasons of BrBa also.

They've been getting on my nerves lately but there is always some interesting info in there

Thanks! Sounds cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I had to stop listening because it consists mostly of compliments to the cast and crew.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I listen to it while I'm doing something else. So I can ignore all the back patting and then catch some cool things like how they shot a scene or how they found a location or something.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I miss how last season's podcasts they'd have Bob Odenkirk or Rhea Seehorn on.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

To expand on my previous post, attorney client relationship doesn't really have anything to do with payment. The relationship is created when there is a mutual understanding between parties that the relationship exists. I believe the details are jurisdiction dependent (I don't know specifics of New Mexico), but the potential problem is that the "client" may believe a relationship is created when the attorney doesn't. New attorneys are routinely (or should be) cautioned to not give out casual legal advice to friends or acquaintances because they risk creating an attorney client relationship. If someone shows up to court and acts on advice you gave them as an attorney, the judge may pull you in and say "well you're clearly this dope's lawyer, tough poo poo bud."

I'd assume that the reason you see the payment thing in tv shows and movies, and why it would work in real life (although I don't personally know of any situations like you'd see in fiction), is that you now have a clear singular event that created the relationship. It works from a narrative standpoint and is sexier than signing a piece of paper. What's more likely (what actual attorneys do) is have you sign a retainer agreement (which may address billing in varying detail) when you first meet, and you can figure out billing details later. Obviously not everyone can afford to pay an attorney up front. The legal aid and public defender attorneys I've seen also just use retainers that omit billing since they don't bill clients like private attorneys do. Payment of LA/PD attorneys also often works differently depending on where you are since some are government offices or are funded by federal/state/local government. And again, this can all vary depending on jurisdiction.

DISCLAIMER: None of this post should be considered legal advice and I'm not your lawyer

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

maskenfreiheit posted:

Stupid question: What podcast is this you speak of? Is it like offical?

Also, I hope they considered getting the cast to narrate the transcript ala Rick & Morty. It'd be the biggest "funny cause it's boring" hit since that Norwegian log fire.

My question is more about whether it's the payment that establishes the relationship, or agreeing to purchase services.

For example: I tell lawyer I've been charged with shitposting. He tells me he can probably mount a defense for 10bux, but it might be 20bux if there was mod sass. I say yes, there was some mod sass. He says ok, come back next week at 10am with a check and we'll take a detailed statement and plan our defense.

Could they really argue because money hadn't changed hands, there's no privilege? I'm not a lawyer, but as a juror I'd wrinkle my nose at that BS.

It's usually impossible to know how much a case is going to cost at the beginning. so the retainer is paid so that the lawyer can begin work and then you get a bill once the work is finished (minus what you already paid for the retainer.) Not sure how it works for public defenders tho

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

baw posted:

Not sure how it works for public defenders tho

There are salaried positions where you don't get paid by billable hour (govt or semi-govt offices), but also there are assigned counsel lists who are just private attorneys that will get assigned to a case if they're on the list (I think this was Jimmy but I don't remember season 1). The latter get paid by hours billed at a rate set by the court/local govt after they submit certified vouchers.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Every episode of the Insider Pod ending with Kelley Dixon egging whatever guest they have on to say "Better call saul!" as Saul would say it is always very cringey and annoying. Especially when everyone cheers afterward. It would be slightly less bad if they had them do it as their own characters.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I listen to it while I'm doing something else. So I can ignore all the back patting and then catch some cool things like how they shot a scene or how they found a location or something.

It's good for passively listening while cleaning the house. (Or browsing dank memes)

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

baw posted:

It also happens in John Grisham's "The Client." Some form of payment for retainer has to pass from client to lawyer to activate the attorney-client privilege mechanism.

This is not a real requirement. It's something made up so that writers can explain attorney-client privilege to the audience.

In reality:

pre:
A relationship of client and lawyer arises when:

(1) a person manifests to a lawyer the person's intent that the lawyer provide legal services for the person; and either

(a) the lawyer manifests to the person consent to do so; or

(b) the lawyer fails to manifest a lack of consent to do so, and the lawyer
                 knows or reasonably should know that the person reasonably relies on
                 the lawyer to provide the services
So basically if someone says to an attorney "Hey can you be my lawyer?" and the attorney says "K" then the attorney-client relationship is created. To be honest the attorney doesn't even need to say that much.

Glambags posted:

DISCLAIMER: None of this post should be considered legal advice and I'm not your lawyer

EFB

Necroskowitz fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 14, 2017

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Necroskowitz posted:

This is not a real requirement. It's something made up so that writers can explain attorney-client privilege to the audience.

In reality:

pre:
A relationship of client and lawyer arises when:

(1) a person manifests to a lawyer the person's intent that the lawyer provide legal services for the person; and either

(a) the lawyer manifests to the person consent to do so; or

(b) the lawyer fails to manifest a lack of consent to do so, and the lawyer
                 knows or reasonably should know that the person reasonably relies on
                 the lawyer to provide the services
So basically if someone says to an attorney "Hey can you be my lawyer?" and the attorney says "K" then the attorney-client relationship is created. To be honest the attorney doesn't even need to say that much.

Asked and answered move on counselor

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Glambags posted:

Asked and answered move on counselor

My one chance to get some use out of law school and I blew it!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Quote this and I'll become your legally binding lawyer.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

can you trick someone into being your lawyer

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Quote this and I'll become your legally binding lawyer.

Cool from now on you must defend all my posts

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Last Chance posted:

Hire someone to slip a dollar into their breast pocket.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Tree Dude posted:

Every episode of the Insider Pod ending with Kelley Dixon egging whatever guest they have on to say "Better call saul!" as Saul would say it is always very cringey and annoying. Especially when everyone cheers afterward. It would be slightly less bad if they had them do it as their own characters.

It's nowhere near as bad as her saying "let's break bad!" at the end of every Breaking Bad Insider.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

She also talks over the crew a lot nowadays and asks like six questions sequentially without pausing between any of them so they don't get answered.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

baw posted:

Cool from now on you must defend all my posts

how do I defend someone... who I know to be guilty!!!!!!!

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

how do I defend someone... who I know to be guilty!!!!!!!

you just violated attorney client privilege so now I am the lawyer

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've been waiting to see Dr. Tim Whatley go down for months now.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Last Chance posted:

Get them to say mens rea backwards

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I've been waiting to see Dr. Tim Whatley go down for months now.

*cops open the door to Dr Tim's basement as they finish sweeping the house for evidence. They turn on the lights, as the walls are illuminated a rookie cop wretches and pukes. Against the back wall are four Billy bookcases piled high with counterfeit amiibo*

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

*cops open the door to Dr Tim's basement as they finish sweeping the house for evidence. They turn on the lights, as the walls are illuminated a rookie cop wretches and pukes. Against the back wall are four Billy bookcases piled high with counterfeit amiibo*

Bake him away, toys.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Last Chance posted:

be careful your stripper does not have a JD or you may end up on the hook for the rest of her retainer!

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

I had to stop listening because it consists mostly of compliments to the cast and crew.

Someone should really do us a service and make a fan-edit of the podcast with all of the gratitude removed

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
It's like 5 minutes combined out of the podcast and it's actually really nice that the more public-facing creators take time out to highlight the work of people behind the scenes and I never understood why people are so bent out of shape about it every week.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I'd legit pay money for a podcast where they just talk poo poo on the entire crew + industry nonstop.

"Bryan Cranston, loving prima donna, will NOT SHOOT until we get this loving mangosteen. So I uber over to whole foods..."

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Bryan Cranston and Dean Norris did constantly give each other (not present) poo poo on the podcasts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Aw, that's sweet. Walt and Hank are enemies in real life too :allears:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rexides posted:

Overlapping with Breaking Bad means that this show won't get any kind of climactic ending.

I disagree but not real overlap. They've been continuing the snippets of Saul post-BB for a reason, and I'm still convinced the last few episodes will be the resolution to him in "present time."

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I miss how last season's podcasts they'd have Bob Odenkirk or Rhea Seehorn on.

Actors are more likely to show up on podcasts recorded toward the end of the production cycle because they're running around all over the place most of the time but then while they're in the studio doing ADR Kelly or whoever will wrangle a few of them to do the podcast.

I also agree that it's nice how they give shout outs to behind the scenes people and minor actors and stuff, but at the same time yeah for such an excellent writer Vince Gilligan sure does love to repeat the word "wonderful."

UNRELATED: I'm doing a Breaking Bad rewatch and knowing what we know from BCS and future episodes of BrBa, it's loving nuts how lovely Tuco is to Hector. Obviously Hector is paralyzed and can't wield power like he could in the BCS days, and obviously Tuco is a loving lunatic, so it makes perfect sense, it's just really sort of tragic watching him get verbally abused by his dangerous but stupid nephew when we know how fearsome, powerful, and clever he used to be.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Karmine posted:

UNRELATED: I'm doing a Breaking Bad rewatch and knowing what we know from BCS and future episodes of BrBa, it's loving nuts how lovely Tuco is to Hector. Obviously Hector is paralyzed and can't wield power like he could in the BCS days, and obviously Tuco is a loving lunatic, so it makes perfect sense, it's just really sort of tragic watching him get verbally abused by his dangerous but stupid nephew when we know how fearsome, powerful, and clever he used to be.

Really? The shock of those scenes seeing them for the first time was this mean prick murdering rear end in a top hat Tuco taking care of this old man feeding him and I guess changing his diapers. When Tuco thinks Hector is complaining because Tuco has the bigger plate for food, he actually swaps plates with him. When he thinks they did something to Hector, the way he screams "What did you to my Tio?" told me that he cared deeply for him.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

SoupyTwist posted:

I like that even if this is true, they still managed to sneak in a "I'll allow it... but watch yourself" trope.

It may be a trope but that definitely happens and how they used it here was totally realistic. In most shows the judge allows something ridiculous that would never ever be let in.

maskenfreiheit posted:

My question is more about whether it's the payment that establishes the relationship, or agreeing to purchase services.

For example: I tell lawyer I've been charged with shitposting. He tells me he can probably mount a defense for 10bux, but it might be 20bux if there was mod sass. I say yes, there was some mod sass. He says ok, come back next week at 10am with a check and we'll take a detailed statement and plan our defense.

Could they really argue because money hadn't changed hands, there's no privilege? I'm not a lawyer, but as a juror I'd wrinkle my nose at that BS.

It's essentially when the "client" believes there to be a relationship, typically started by the giving of legal advice (if there is no formal agreement for representation already). Lawyers are super cautious to give out what could even possibly be considered legal advice because giving advice forms an attorney-client relationship and can subject the lawyer to legal malpractice claims and grievances.

In your hypothetical they could argue that a lack of payment is evidence of a lack of a relationship, but I think courts would be hard-pressed to buy into that argument.

e: what Glambags said

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

It's essentially when the "client" believes there to be a relationship, typically started by the giving of legal advice (if there is no formal agreement for representation already). Lawyers are super cautious to give out what could even possibly be considered legal advice because giving advice forms an attorney-client relationship and can subject the lawyer to legal malpractice claims and grievances.

In your hypothetical they could argue that a lack of payment is evidence of a lack of a relationship, but I think courts would be hard-pressed to buy into that argument.

e: what Glambags said

Considering that Jimmy and Kim are both lawyers, and also considering the nature of their professional relationship (i.e., they would probably talk shop anyway), would a "token payment" provide any extra benefit that they might want to ensure themselves of--that is to say, a benefit that wouldn't come into play under other circumstances?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If they only talked about it and she advised him, it's still potentially assailable. Money changing hands for legal services creates a clear, no-poo poo attorney-client relationship so under no circumstances can she be compelled to testify against him. Anything less and it's a gray enough area that it's open to attack. (in TV logic, anyway)

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Reywal

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If you don't like Kelly's podcasting tweet at her. Anyone with the constitution to log hours and hours and hours and hours of footage would be psyched to get in a twitter convo.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

some guy on the bus posted:

Really? The shock of those scenes seeing them for the first time was this mean prick murdering rear end in a top hat Tuco taking care of this old man feeding him and I guess changing his diapers. When Tuco thinks Hector is complaining because Tuco has the bigger plate for food, he actually swaps plates with him. When he thinks they did something to Hector, the way he screams "What did you to my Tio?" told me that he cared deeply for him.

Yeah I think it's just a sort of "reverse" shock because my mindset from watching BCS is that Hector is still a top dog and respected, untouchable capo in the cartel, as opposed to just a dude in a wheelchair getting screamed at by an inferior criminal. Tuco absolutely cares about his Tio, but he had a much more gentle relationship with his Abuelita. And he's probably nicer to Hector when he's not all agitated about Walt/Jesse/Gonzo/DEA poo poo.

Frankly a scene of Tuco, fresh out of jail, lovingly and patiently caring for his uncle who's just been paralyzed would fit really well. I can't remember what interactions they've had on BCS though so if he was lovely to him before he got paralyzed then my whole point kinda goes out the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

When we see Tuco in Breaking Bad, I think he's doing a lot more meth

• Locked thread