Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ofaloaf posted:

The KR panel was great, half the "history of KR" presentation was about modder drama and every fight for control since 2006. They barely talked about any development milestones except for when they moved to a new game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think we've found the ur-goon.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

uPen posted:

It should have been a 19th century industrialization/colonization simulator.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

MEIOU presentation was legitimately great by contrast, they're insane but they're competently insane, and they operate as a legit team without visible modder drama.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shame about their map mod looking like a schizo went to town on the provinces, though. Representing historically important city states and exclaves and stuff would be a fantastic idea if the freaking provinces weren't static, which they are, so its totally retarded

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!

Larry Parrish posted:

Shame about their map mod looking like a schizo went to town on the provinces, though. Representing historically important city states and exclaves and stuff would be a fantastic idea if the freaking provinces weren't static, which they are, so its totally retarded

Actually it's a terrible idea and being able to click on things in a game is in fact good.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Meiou looks like the game I want euiv to be, maybe a few steps past it in complexity honestly, but I have a feeling it'll be cripplingly slow, unwieldy, and be extremely buggy. I really hope paradox is looking at some of the things they've modeled for internal development because with a whole studio behind them I really think eu5 could finally be the game where building a smaller country that's more centralized and economically developed can finally be as fun as the giant blob empires.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
So is anyone else excited for the new battle tech game?
It's got me positively moist

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Actually it's a terrible idea and being able to click on things in a game is in fact good.

I liked that the DH map had little name tags protruding from places like Gibraltar so the province's proportions were realistic but you could still click them easily.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

corn in the bible posted:

it should have been ck2 in space

It's probably too late to get there without completely redoing everything, but yeah.

Maybe Stelaris 2 can go that route.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Meiou looks like the game I want euiv to be, maybe a few steps past it in complexity honestly, but I have a feeling it'll be cripplingly slow, unwieldy, and be extremely buggy. I really hope paradox is looking at some of the things they've modeled for internal development because with a whole studio behind them I really think eu5 could finally be the game where building a smaller country that's more centralized and economically developed can finally be as fun as the giant blob empires.

From what Johan said at the con it seems like E5 is not even on the radar.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

There's nothing EU5 would really accomplish at this point- they'd rather develop more content for 4 and have their new games be, well, new.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ein Sexmonster posted:

There's nothing EU5 would really accomplish at this point- they'd rather develop more content for 4 and have their new games be, well, new.

EUIV has already turned into enough of a bloated clusterfuck over the years, I'd actually be really excited for a clean slate EUV.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
No new grand strategy games announced?

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
https://clips.twitch.tv/TangibleSavagePhoneWOOP

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Koramei posted:

There's something big under production there, led by Henrik (the current CK2 director) but they don't want another HOI4 situation/a premature announcement.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Ah fair enough, at least there's something.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Koramei posted:

Not really. ***Edit*** Jon Shafer is putting together a team, and they will do a grand strategy game, but I get the feeling it will be something new/different. They said they couldn't talk about it yet. My Longshot theory is an asymetrical grand strategy based in the battletech universe.

Edited to include correct name.

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 14, 2017

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Not really. Tim Shafer is putting together a team, and they will do a grand strategy game, but I get the feeling it will be something new/different. They said they couldn't talk about it yet. My Longshot theory is an asymetrical grand strategy based in the battletech universe.

It would be fantastic if Paradox managed to get the Battletech license off Microsoft (worth way more than White Elephant that is White Wolf) but there would obviously be a lot of noise if that had happened.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Alchenar posted:

It would be fantastic if Paradox managed to get the Battletech license off Microsoft (worth way more than White Elephant that is White Wolf) but there would obviously be a lot of noise if that had happened.

I have no idea what the Battletech rights are like but Paradox is publishing Harebrained Battletech game so it's not out of the question for them to publish more.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Gaius Marius posted:

As someone who's played the version of MEIOU for the previous DLC/patch, M&T, while suffering from those things to some extent, is probably not as "slow, unwieldy, and extremely buggy" as you imagine it to be. Its single greatest sin is not communicating things to the player as well as it should. It has a shitton of its own mechanics, which generally work well enough and are not utterly impenetrable, even if they're not always integrated well enough into the base game mechanics. But you have to go through the interface, clicking buttons and reading event descriptions to get a grasp of what those mechanics actually are. Once you actually accomplish that, the workings of the mechanics are more or less intuitive, but there's a wall for the player to climb to get to that point. Somewhat like a player that starts up EU4, or Dwarf Fortress, for the first time, everything will feel like a confusing mess until you work yourself to achieving familiarity with the mod.

Another thing, which the M&T guys talked about in their presentation, is that there is a difference in philosophy between vanilla EU4 and M&T, in that vanilla gives the player the role of a sculptor over their country, who has near-total control over what it becomes, whereas they described the role of the player in M&T as more of a gardener who is more hands-off and makes the game more about creating the conditions for your country to prosper than anything. That is, of course, a massively idealised vision, and it doesn't always work out great because the base game is built around the player having total control and being a constantly active spirit of the nation pushing it in specific directions. But it gets the difference in what a player coming in should expect across, so if you feel like trying out M&T out of curiosity but that sort of thing isn't what you want from your game, it's probably not going to tick on a fundamental level.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
That's all well and good, but does it still run at 1/5 the speed of vanilla, like it did back in EU3?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The distance between EU3 and EU4's release dates is smaller than the distance between V2's release date and now. :smith:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

That's all well and good, but does it still run at 1/5 the speed of vanilla, like it did back in EU3?

My game already runs at like a third of the speed at speed 5 than people with actual decent modern computers, so I'm deathly afraid of what M&T will be like.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 14, 2017

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

My game already runs at like a third of the speed at speed 5 than people with actual decent modern computers, so I'm deathly afraid of what M&T will be like.

If you're at that point, probably, yes.

GrossMurpel posted:

When I played a game with it I was surprised that it wasn't literally chugging, so I feel people generally think it runs slower than it actually does. For the next version of the mod they also literally found ~one little trick~ in optimising event scripting that supposedly makes a gigantic difference. At the same time however, they're doing a development/estate/stability overhaul that will itself have a lot of overhead so there's a good chance those gains will be cancelled out.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I would be excited if they ever figure out how to make one of their strategy games work on a phone in some way. It'd be great to whip out the ol' iPhone or whatever and play a quick generation of ck2:phone edition while on the subway.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
If only Europa Universalis 2 for Nintendo DS had been released

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Now they're producing "immersion packs" there is still a long, long tail of DLC to be mined.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

V for Vegas posted:

Now they're producing "immersion packs" there is still a long, long tail of DLC to be mined.

Not calling those Nationalism Packs is the worst mistake Paradox has ever done.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ZearothK posted:

Not calling those Nationalism Packs is the worst mistake Paradox has ever done.

Balkan Immersion Pack to be called Historically Accurate Pack.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Vicki 3 is going to be a mobile, free to play competitive strategy game where the world map consists of infinitely repeating continents that continue to the east and west, i.e., the America to the west of Europe is a different continent than the one wast of China.

Buy 20 machine parts for only 200 prestige! Get a machine parts factory for 50,000 prestige! New player offer, get a machine parts factory, a concrete factory, 2 capitalist pops and 30,000 prestige for only $59.99!

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Balkan Immersion Pack to be called Historically Accurate Pack.

HAP? I don't think the Balkans have ever been halfway happy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

YF-23 posted:

As someone who's played the version of MEIOU for the previous DLC/patch, M&T, while suffering from those things to some extent, is probably not as "slow, unwieldy, and extremely buggy" as you imagine it to be. Its single greatest sin is not communicating things to the player as well as it should. It has a shitton of its own mechanics, which generally work well enough and are not utterly impenetrable, even if they're not always integrated well enough into the base game mechanics. But you have to go through the interface, clicking buttons and reading event descriptions to get a grasp of what those mechanics actually are. Once you actually accomplish that, the workings of the mechanics are more or less intuitive, but there's a wall for the player to climb to get to that point. Somewhat like a player that starts up EU4, or Dwarf Fortress, for the first time, everything will feel like a confusing mess until you work yourself to achieving familiarity with the mod.

Another thing, which the M&T guys talked about in their presentation, is that there is a difference in philosophy between vanilla EU4 and M&T, in that vanilla gives the player the role of a sculptor over their country, who has near-total control over what it becomes, whereas they described the role of the player in M&T as more of a gardener who is more hands-off and makes the game more about creating the conditions for your country to prosper than anything. That is, of course, a massively idealised vision, and it doesn't always work out great because the base game is built around the player having total control and being a constantly active spirit of the nation pushing it in specific directions. But it gets the difference in what a player coming in should expect across, so if you feel like trying out M&T out of curiosity but that sort of thing isn't what you want from your game, it's probably not going to tick on a fundamental level.
That's reassuring to say the least, the reduced speed is expected but still slightly annoying I probably came off a bit down on it's prospects because the one live stream I saw of the main dev had him confronting a major bug with estates that didn't fill me with much confidence.

The different design philosophy is the most exciting part of the mod though. I think EUIV is a pretty decent game but basically every game devolves into the same thing. Fabricate claims, take territory, ally the biggest guy you can find. And none of the expansions have touched on what I feel are huge flaws in the game, rather they've tacked on system after system seemingly just to add bulletpoints to the back of the box. Estates are probably the biggest example I see of this in the game they are somehow both extremely annoying, poorly thought out, and easy to game. Meiou's version seems extremely well considered and flavorful in comparison.

Half the reason I want a EU5 is so they can try and roll in some of the better changes we've seen in mods and in the expansions and stick them in the game more organically. Just imagine instead of dozens of event box based map switching like in Meiou if there was a way to easily switch between demographic map modes and see how you emphasizing trade was bringing more people in from the country side into your cities increasing their tax and trade incomes breaking the power of the landed aristocracy, but the growing bourgeoisie populations causing major unrest as enlightenment ideals start spreading.

I also want a prettier map to stare at for hundreds of hours.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

M&T's estate rework is probably the thing they're making I'm most looking forward to. It's the kind of internal politics that I think almost everyone here was hoping for in the run-up to them being first added in the game. At the same time I don't feel entirely too confident on their development and stability rework, but they've thought about it enough that all three systems are pretty strongly integrated with each other and they look like they will ultimately be a well-running whole.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm glad Jon Shafer is going to have a boss that can enforce deadlines on him.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Gaius Marius posted:

That's reassuring to say the least, the reduced speed is expected but still slightly annoying I probably came off a bit down on it's prospects because the one live stream I saw of the main dev had him confronting a major bug with estates that didn't fill me with much confidence.

The different design philosophy is the most exciting part of the mod though. I think EUIV is a pretty decent game but basically every game devolves into the same thing. Fabricate claims, take territory, ally the biggest guy you can find. And none of the expansions have touched on what I feel are huge flaws in the game, rather they've tacked on system after system seemingly just to add bulletpoints to the back of the box. Estates are probably the biggest example I see of this in the game they are somehow both extremely annoying, poorly thought out, and easy to game. Meiou's version seems extremely well considered and flavorful in comparison.

Half the reason I want a EU5 is so they can try and roll in some of the better changes we've seen in mods and in the expansions and stick them in the game more organically. Just imagine instead of dozens of event box based map switching like in Meiou if there was a way to easily switch between demographic map modes and see how you emphasizing trade was bringing more people in from the country side into your cities increasing their tax and trade incomes breaking the power of the landed aristocracy, but the growing bourgeoisie populations causing major unrest as enlightenment ideals start spreading.

I also want a prettier map to stare at for hundreds of hours.

Problem is that Johan sees meaningful internal management as being outside of the game's scope as it's supposed to be a game about empire building (I don't see those as being mutually exclusive, quite the opposite, but his opinion is worth more than mine)

Which is even more reason why V3 needs to become a thing.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Meiou's internal management is definitely the thing I'm looking forward to most. Estates seem really powerful but on the other hand there doesn't seem to be any tradeoff to privileges. From the look of Arumba's stream I got the impression you never ever want to grant an estate a privilege and the very first thing you should do is get rid of them.

The province development stuff sounds great though and the interaction between nations through trade seems ripe for cool exploitation. The implication that actively plundering all your neighbors for their wealth is going to sink your economy in the long term is really cool.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!

Demiurge4 posted:

Meiou's internal management is definitely the thing I'm looking forward to most. Estates seem really powerful but on the other hand there doesn't seem to be any tradeoff to privileges. From the look of Arumba's stream I got the impression you never ever want to grant an estate a privilege and the very first thing you should do is get rid of them.

The province development stuff sounds great though and the interaction between nations through trade seems ripe for cool exploitation. The implication that actively plundering all your neighbors for their wealth is going to sink your economy in the long term is really cool.

I think the reason it looks that way is that Arumba's staying small. The devs said in his interview with them that once you get to a certain size you end up needing to pacify your estates with privileges a lot, or they'll just wreck you.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

From what I remember from a MEIOU dev stream, estate loyalty doesn't move towards an equilibrium in the mod, so granting privileges to estates might be one of few ways to make them happy. There's also the stability system, where your stability increases only once you've accumulated enough "stability points", which is something you can speed up by gaining favour with the estates, so there's that too. But yeah, estate privileges essentially means that you give up authority over the estates in your country, which is bad for you, the state (which is also represented in M&T as an estate, and it fills in the gap when "regular" estates grow weaker).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I don't know the ins and outs of the estate system but it'd be nice if privileges came with bonuses too and weren't just stat sinks and corruption. If you devolve education to the church early on you could get a lead on education that caps out at some level but is cheap to maintain. Giving the nobility full officer rights should remove the upkeep cost of generals etc etc.