Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Already done and returned to berryjon with 255 turns of orb for desired exploration. :v:

You were right about it being 8-bit, but not right about what number range that is - specifically, it looks like the orb counter is an 8-bit unsigned int, and therefore goes from 0 to 255. 8-bit signed would be -127 to 128.

Also, there appear to be some things you can't do while the orb is active. I suspect that "entering a town" or "entering a dungeon" are two of those things.
(edit: Oops, didn't notice this last one was already said.)
:downs: I put down the range for a 16 bit int.

Entertaining that it is unsigned but the one for gold isn't. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Parts Kit posted:

:downs: I put down the range for a 16 bit int.

That might just be to make it safer to do calculations when the party is nearly broke. You can just subtract money and then set to zero if the quantity is negative, instead of having to muck around with sign bits or do other special logic.

Plus 30k gold should be more than enough for anyone. Gives you an incentive to spend it.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That might just be to make it safer to do calculations when the party is nearly broke. You can just subtract money and then set to zero if the quantity is negative, instead of having to muck around with sign bits or do other special logic.

Plus 30k gold should be more than enough for anyone. Gives you an incentive to spend it.
It's not too bad, but of course we have no way of knowing what was going on in Jeff's head in the 90s. And I've been pouring over this sort of stupid poo poo lately while working on a sensor so it's pretty obvious to me.
code:
if(partyGold < itemCost)
	printf("You don't have the money, numbnuts.");			[or in special events, set partyGold = 0]
else
	partyGold = partyGold - itemCost;
Still you got a legit point there. :shobon:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

That will only get you, what, 10 Skill Potions and enough change left over to do some actual training? MUST SPEND FASTER! ;)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

berryjon posted:

That will only get you, what, 10 Skill Potions and enough change left over to do some actual training? MUST SPEND FASTER! ;)

11 potions. :v: I should know, I did that run a couple of times in my most recent playthrough.

Speaking of, the math on Knowledge Brew. You need 40 skillpoints (and 2000 gold) to max Alchemy on one character, and while maxing isn't strictly necessary I believe it improves your success rate; at max rank you still fail to make Knowledge Brew fairly frequently. Mandrake root, the only ingredient, can be bought for 400 gold per unit. Each Knowledge Brew potion is worth 2 skillpoints. So that's 20 potions (and 8000 more gold) just to break even on the Alchemy investment, assuming you reload every time you fail to make a potion. If you don't, add another few thousand gold to the cost. Conversely, for 10400 gold you can buy 4 Knowledge Brews outright.

I did one solo playthrough during berryjon's Exile 2 LP, where I got and used the recipe...and dumped all those extra skillpoints into Luck, because I make bad decisions sometimes. I eventually got tired of making potions and just went and finished the game, but if I'd had more tolerance for tedium I could easily have maxed everything on that character. In my most recent playthrough (finished last week or so), I completely ignored Alchemy altogether and instead purchased Knowledge Brew potions with my spare cash. This was just barely enough (in combination with every other source of free skillpoints I could find) for the character to max STR/DEX/INT/mage/priest/bladed weapons/mage lore/assassination by the time I hit endgame. It was also a lot more fun.

Granted that two of those "other sources of free skillpoints" are worth around 50 skillpoints between them. One of 'em is praying at the Tower of the Magi for free INT (10 points of INT = 30 skillpoints). The other is taking the starting party, kicking everyone out except for Frrrr, and then reallocating Frrrr's skills (and changing its name, graphic, and traits...). For some reason -- probably the only way Jeff Vogel could make an archer/skills bitch that wasn't useless -- the nephil starts with 80 skillpoints instead of 60.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Speaking of, the math on Knowledge Brew. You need 40 skillpoints (and 2000 gold) to max Alchemy on one character, and while maxing isn't strictly necessary I believe it improves your success rate; at max rank you still fail to make Knowledge Brew fairly frequently. Mandrake root, the only ingredient, can be bought for 400 gold per unit. Each Knowledge Brew potion is worth 2 skillpoints. So that's 20 potions (and 8000 more gold) just to break even on the Alchemy investment, assuming you reload every time you fail to make a potion. If you don't, add another few thousand gold to the cost. Conversely, for 10400 gold you can buy 4 Knowledge Brews outright.

You also need Ember flowers, which are a bit easier to collect, and cheaper to buy.

But yeah, it took putting Skill Potions into Alchemy to make people even consider the skill to be useful past making the Salve in E1. And it still isn't worth it.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Parts Kit posted:

Funny you mention that though. Now that I'm sitting down and thinking of it, I can't think of a lot of situations where a 2-byte unsigned int has been used, at least in old games I've messed with. I wonder if it's a quirk of some old programming languages.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Huh... so... Berryjon. With those reactions... And some of the earlier ones from earlier threads...
Is Art the Empress's mother?

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Zebrin posted:

Huh... so... Berryjon. With those reactions... And some of the earlier ones from earlier threads...

I suspect we won't get a confirm-or-deny for this until it's plot-relevant, but... drat. Okay, yeah, I can see where you're getting that.

I'm really looking forward to the epic meltdown Art has at Rentar-Ihrno, myself.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Zebrin posted:

That's what I've been assuming since sometime during the Exile 2 LP.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

idhrendur posted:

Yyyyyep. It would dovetail with the redaction of Prazac's mother's name, since berryjon was writing to this conclusion throughout the trilogy (or at least most of it).

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

idhrendur posted:

Same, it's one of two possibilities I also thought of.
Needless to say I'm pretty interested in seeing where berryjon is going with this. :munch:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My guess is you're close, but...let's say, adjacent to the mark. :v:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

The worst part is, I have Art's entire backstory in my head - and it's all fanfiction. I created it to help guide my characterization of her and to help keep it consistent. Everything from her joining the Imperial Army to her Exile.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
I don't see the problem with that - it's highly doubtful that Jeff will come by and say "Nope, not canon" for the original version of a series that's been remade twice over (so far).

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

berryjon posted:

The worst part is, I have Art's entire backstory in my head - and it's all fanfiction. I created it to help guide my characterization of her and to help keep it consistent. Everything from her joining the Imperial Army to her Exile.

The iceberg theory of writing at work! Well, not precisely, but close enough - if your backstory material is cohesive enough, you can get away with showing a fairly small minority of it, just so long as you've actually done all the rest of it behind the scenes to ensure that it hints at a cohesive whole.

My guess is you're close, but...let's say, adjacent to the mark. :v:

Ahahahaha! Assuming I understand you correctly, that would allay some of the concerns I had with this theory back when I reread the first two LPs - specifically, that Art was too young in Exile 1 for my theory to work properly. (Although I don't think the LPs were ever explicit about how old she is in any of them, and I have no idea how long it is between games.)

vdate fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 15, 2017

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

vdate posted:

Ahahahaha! Assuming I understand you correctly, that would allay some of the concerns I had with this theory back when I reread the first two LPs - specifically, that Art was too young in Exile 1 for my theory to work properly. (Although I don't think the LPs were ever explicit about how old she is in any of them, and I have no idea how long it is between games.)

She's in her 50's now, right? So she'd have been in her 40's when she was exiled.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 062 – Vahnatai Ruins and Erox

“You know, this isn't a place we've been to yet either.”

“Well, we must be heading in the right direction.”

“This certainly looks like the right way.”

“And most certainly not cursed.”

“wait a minute...”

“Someone's here?”

“Hello.”

You meet a Vahnatai. Very strange considering they rarely ever leave their deep caverns. He looks extremely ill, like being near the surface doesn't agree with him. He pants. “I am Abra. I greet you, Art-Iktah. It is an honor to meet you. Though I wish it were under better circumstances.”

“Everyone, relax. What are you doing here?”

He looks up at you, eyes glazed over. “I and Bohen do missions for our people.”

“What sort of missions? Rentar-Ihrno told me you were up here.”

“For many years, she and I have been going from place to place, reviving sleeping Vahnatai, killing Hydras and the such. But this mission has been being the worst.” He has the usual Vahnatai syntax when speaking, and his voice is weak.

“What makes this one the worst?”

“The surface is awful, no place for one of us. Worse, we want to find what is in these caves, but there are many monsters.”

“The surface isn't that bad.”

“For humans? And the Nephil? Perhaps not. I will not conjecture for the Slith. But for us, the people? It is the heat! The lack of pressure in the air! The oddness of the air. Every movement is a difficulty for us. We wish to return home.”

“Be that as it may, what are the monsters?”

“There are Vahnavoi and Hraithes here. Evil undead, though you already know that, Iktah. I speak for the benefit of your companions. They are the undead of the people, and have been in these ruins for many centuries. We don't know who made this place, but we suspect it was as a prison for dark souls. But we can go no further. It is with shame that I must ask for your help, mighty Iktah.”

“Laying it on a bit thick there? But fine, we'll help.”

“Please, be speaking to Bohen. We cannot fight the monsters ourselves. Not as we are. But you might.”

“Delilah, Ni'aurrl, do what you can for him.”

“On it.”

Abra also makes reference to the events of Exile 2 for those who never played it. But given that Art was there, doing those things, I skipped that branch of the conversation.

“{I greet you, honoured elder.}”

“Please, let us use the language of your people, Honoured Iktah.” You meet a Vahnatai, carefully studying a book written on mica sheets. She stands and bows elaborately to you. “I am being pleased to meet you, honoured Iktah, and to see your companions. Again, I am named Bohen-Ihrno.”

“Uh... Ihrno? Iktah?”

“Ihrno transliterates as 'sage' or 'wise leader'. There's no real equivalent in Imperial Common. As for the other, I'll explain later.”

“Know that is is a mark of honor, one not given lightly. I am being pleased you be having you here. We were knowing Exiles were up here, but not expecting them to visit this site.”

“I am glad to know there is cooperation between Exile and the people. How did you find this place?”

“We were having much pleasure in knowing our allies were returning to their homes. In fact, it was Exile spies who were detecting this site, and reporting it to us so we could visit.”

“Makes sense. We're not the only team up here, nor are you the only Vahnatai we have encountered. What can you tell us about the site?”

“It is being a great mystery. It is a Vahnatai ruin, but here, at the surface of the world. Where our people are thought never to have been. It is greatly ancient, and greatly interesting.”

“Yes, this is a mystery. My initial theory is that it was an old research outpost on the Surface since before the last Great Sleep.”

“Wise, indeed. Such is the thoughts of many Ihrno who were told of this place. But thoughts being not knowing. We of the people are always having a great need to know of our ancestors. For them to have being here is one of the things we are wanting to be knowing. But you have been told of our problems by Abra, yes? I will not ask for your help without offering reward.”

“Aside from the undead, what is your problem?

“This ruin may be invaluable to us, helping understanding our ancestors and give us incredible new knowledge. We are supposed to report it back to our people, but alas, we can cannot get inside. Please, Iktah, for the people, go in there, kill the undead and find if there is anything of value to us in there.”

“Alright.”

“You sure this is wise?”

“Destroying the undead is always the moral choice.”

“It looks like they put up Fire Barriers to keep the undead contained.”

“I don't wanna walk through that!”

“owwie”

“So, Iktah?”

“Wait! I already explained this, back when we first went into Ghirka! Why are we doing it again?”

“Because she forgot?”

“No!”

maybe.

“I would totally understand that if it hadn't been worn away by time.”

“The style is definitely different here.”

“I don't recognize it.”

“I could dig through that in a couple days with the right tools.”

“Which we don't have.”

“Come on, I see broken walls to the south.”

:supaburn:

“Oh. Right. Undead.”

Hilariously overpowered by the party.

“Let's kill zombies!”

“I can agree to that.”

“But first, structure damage.”

“Oh, hey, more of them!”

Just as outgunned.

“Let's see if anything was left here.”

“This looks important!”

“This appears to be some sort of keying mechanism, to identify those who step on it.”

“Harmful?”

“No. At least, not directly.”

“Nothing else here, just passages to the south if the magic map is right.”

“Which it always is!”

“Anyone else here that?”

:supaburn: :supaburn:

“Argh!”

“There are lines all through these passages that will trigger defences like this!”

There is a safe way through. Not that I bothered to plot it out until much later.

“We just have to be careful.”

“And now that we're far enough away, I have to question whether Abra and Bohen are part of Rentar-Ihrno's group.”

“Probably not. The group of Vahnatai responsible for investigation of old ruins like this report directly to the Olgai Council, and not to Rentar-Ihrno. For her to corrupt that organization would have resulted in sanctions against her by her people. And she's the kind of person to not need to control everything, trusting in the competency of people – once they've proven they are that.”

“When did you first meet Rentar-Ihrno?”

“In the mage-town of Egli. It's the Vahnatai Olgai's version of the Tower of the Magi. I met her after rescuing one of the Bok's from Imperial captivity, and got her aid in rescuing others. Then she helped organize the assassination of Garzhad. Apparently I impressed her with my ability to get the job done.”

“These statues should move out of the way. And what is it with you and gaining the confidence of powerful mages? You're on a first-name basis with the Archmage Redmark, and Rentar-Ihrno is willing to be helpful and informative, when she's not planning genocide.”

:shrug: “It's just me, I guess?”

To remove these statues, you have to find two hidden switches in the maze. One is in the upper left, here:

And the other is in this loop here:

“The final chambers.”

“I love having the right keys.” :smug:

“Of course there would be more undead.”

Naturally, the game starts out by putting us behind a transparent barrier to allow the enemy spellcasters access to us before we can rush them in melee.

So, naturally, Art rushes ahead. Because she's awesome.

And reached LEVEL 50 in the process! She's reached the level cap! Huzzuh! Except I don't do any training until after this little shopping trip is over.

“I suspect this will be more tedium than excitement.”

“I agree.”

“This passage is activated by magic – we cannot pass right now.”

“Not much here.”

“Then I'll just blow down this wall here.”

“And there's nothing in these pots either.”

“More undead.”

“Well, there's another glyph here.”

“It is the twin to the one we found earlier. Triggering this one now will enable, I believe, that wall to the south to open up.”

“And that should do it.”

“Like that!”

“This isn't a normal resting cell. But we've done what we can here. Let's report back.”

“Hello again, honoured elder. We have completed the mission.”

“Thank you! Now that we know something here is truly valuable, it is time for us to report to our people. We must depart. You have done us a good deed, honoured Iktah. You may keep what trinkets you found in this place. But for you, something more important is in order. What being it..?”

“Yes! That shall do! I shall teach your companions the Word of Recall spell!”

Word of Recall is the same as the Amulet of Returning we already have. It's a nice contingency piece should you never have gotten that in the first place.

“Nice to know that there are non-hostile Vahnatai out here.”

“HORSIES!”

Free source of Ember Flowers up here along the north-western coast, should I make Skill Potions. It's almost directly west of the previous dungeon.

This encounter is roughly on a line half-way between the previous two locations, on a tangent to the north about an equal distance. Which means nothing to you guys because I've given up on mapping the overworld. But trust me, it's there.

“There are five of us. Really?”

“He says he can. And honestly, it's not like we have to kill him.”

“I feel conflicted about this.”

“Die!”

“Suddenly, I feel less conflicted.”

:catholic:

I love specialized tools! That was a one-shot on the Demon by exactly 1 HP over it's max HP!

“We can sell this later.”

“There is a peninsula to the south.”

“And a road!”

“I feel we should visit.”

“And at least sleep in a real bed.”

:ohdear:

“HELLO?”

“Anyone here?”

“Greetings?”

“Where is everyone?”

“This is wrong. We need to find out what happened here.”

“I think I hear something...”

“RAKSHASA!”

Oh hell no! These guys are a pain, even at the best of times due to their magic immunity. And they love to summon Demons. :sigh: Well, time to drop Anti-magic fields, and let my physical brawlers do their thing.

Drop Anti-magic fields any time now...

No, seriously past me. Antimagic is the best spell in Exile 3 at this point. USE IT MORE!

Much better.

“And that's the last of them.”

“The evil kitties killed everyone!”

“Excuse me!”

“You're not evil!”

“Nor am I a xenocidal Rakshasa!”

I love the implied intensity of combat in this room. Blood, craters, the works!

“I'll be careful.”

“Not much.”

“That's enough. This town is dead. Let us leave the dead to their avenged rest.”

“Hey. Unicorns! Can we get them, for old times sake?”

“... yeah. Lets.”

:black101:

More Ember Flowers should I make Skill Potions.

This fight really isn't worth it, as the enemy usually won't leave you with enough SP to cast the required Antimagic fields.

“WHAT IS THAT?”

“Incredible...”

“A WALL? It reaches from the Coast to the Mountains!”

“There is no escape.”

“And it even extends along the coast to prevent people from flying around it.”

Behold, the wall at the top of the world. You can't go north from here, as the map simply ends. It's all south from here, and to the east in this particular case.

On the right side you can see the path I took, hopping from empty space to empty space in the mountains. There's nothing there that I can find, save a little bypass to reward the persistent and daring. Or those who have a full map cheat on, looking for new things.

“This doesn't look good.”

“It's ominous!”

NEVER SHALL I BOW TO THE GREMLIN MENACE!

This little forest is home to three encounters with Gremlins. At this point, they are not a problem, even with Gorgon reinforcements in the last fights.

“Yoink!”

“And now we know it has to be in these mountains!”

“After how many detours?”

“We'll have to leave the horses behind, and fly further up.”

“Watch out!”

“Eh, we can take'm.”

“That was a bust.”

“Aww... well, let's keep looking then.”

Uh oh.

I ... uh ... just screwed myself over. I can't leave this little alcove of mountains. I can't pass by the higher white-capped mountains, and I can't move past or land on the horses!

I hate to do this, but I'm going to have to use the Amulet to get back to Fort Remote, and write this set of horses off. Let's land, and do that.

SUNNOVABOTCH!

There is a RANGE LIMIT on Word of Recall and The Amulet of Returning. I'm outside that range here.

I cannot leave this little area. At all.

Unless I cheat. :sigh: Back to Fort Emergence with me. Oh well. So, just a warning to you all. You can fly away from your horses, but you can't fly back to them.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 21, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

berryjon posted:

I ... uh ... just screwed myself over. I can't leave this little alcove of mountains. I can't pass by the higher white-capped mountains, and I can't move past or land on the horses!

Funny, we were JUST talking about this... :v:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Funny, we were JUST talking about this... :v:

I know. I recorded this a couple weeks ago, which led to me mentioning it. ;)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm almost positive that Word of Recall has a longer range than the amulet does. The amulet is automatically given to you when you check in with Anaximander after...I think after you get to Lorelei, so it's damned near impossible to miss.

Also, you skipped the NPC in Erox. I liked him. He was funny. :( He lounges around in the inn waiting for drinking buddies. He'll tell you the town was abandoned after Valorim's shipping industry collapsed, which is plausible enough for such a remote town.

Too bad the wine he offers you is drugged. Breaking into that bedroom is definitely the tactically-preferable way to trigger the rakshasa ambush. It's just less interesting.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I'm almost positive that Word of Recall has a longer range than the amulet does. The amulet is automatically given to you when you check in with Anaximander after...I think after you get to Lorelei, so it's damned near impossible to miss.

Also, you skipped the NPC in Erox. I liked him. He was funny. :( He lounges around in the inn waiting for drinking buddies. He'll tell you the town was abandoned after Valorim's shipping industry collapsed, which is plausible enough for such a remote town.

Too bad the wine he offers you is drugged. Breaking into that bedroom is definitely the tactically-preferable way to trigger the rakshasa ambush. It's just less interesting.

Yeah, I missed it. I knew that the Inn would trigger the fight, so I poked around the other places first, which caused the fight instead. Oh well.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

berryjon posted:

“Destroying the undead is <i>always</i> the moral choice.”
Unclosed tag here.

quote:

I was too young to pick up on this when I played the game, but this sign actually manages to work a *double* Easter egg in the first sentence. Very well done, Mr. Vogel. :golfclap:

"You reach a maze of narrow twisting passages, all alike" is a reference to Colossal Cave Adventure...but replacing the usual word "maze" with honeycomb makes it also a reference to the famed Honeycomb found in Exile 1/2.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I have a love hate relationship with the honeycomb.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That was a pretty spooky crypt. Well done.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

I was too young to pick up on this when I played the game, but this sign actually manages to work a *double* Easter egg in the first sentence. Very well done, Mr. Vogel. :golfclap:

Triple Easter Egg! Ember used those words to describe the Honeycomb back in my Exile 1 LP, and she used the Colossal Cave Code as a marker of where they had been.

Oh, and I fixed those tags, thanks.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 63 – A Sharp Stick, and a Long Walk

"This will be the last mountains, I promise!”

Yeah, mostly because we've been everywhere else!”

“Right here! Please!”

“Fine!”

“This looks important.”

“No, this looks relevant. Where did I put that map...?”

“Here we go!”

“It says White mushrooms first.”

“Why here, I wonder?”

“Because these stalagmites aren't really here? Though I sense some poor results had we tried to go around.”

“The next note is that the crate should go on the rune.”

“Well, there's the rune. Now, where's the crate?”

“Probably at the far end. Hey, I could carry it back here!”

“Ooof! This is heavy!”

“I'll just have to push it.”

As a note, please remember that you can move boxes and barrels on a diagonal, and when you press up against the wall, you switch places with the object. It's vital to get through here.

“I wonder what would happen if we tried now?”

“Guess not.”

“Done! Let's go through the door!”

“WHAT?”

“Let's check the box again.”

“Where did that come from?”

It only appears while the box is on the rune. Move it off, and it vanishes from the box.

“Really? Thank you!”

“And through we go!”

“Now, what was the next part again?”

“Uh, hold on, the person who wrote this, did so in the wrong direction. Or turned it on its side. Let's see. Two tiles south, two west. Two south, One West.”

“I can't help but notice we are standing in the middle of a pillar.”

“Two south, four west, two North.”

“That brings us here.”

“Ugh! A teleporter? In the middle of a pillar?”

“ONWARD!”

“So, there are seven here. Notes say we need six.”

“Hrm, this could be interesting.”

“Try each in order, to see what they do. Then we can determine logically which runes to activate and in which order.”

Or, you could just step on the rune that is second from the right, and the puzzle is solved.

“That was easy!”

“WHO MAKES A PUZZLE THAT IS SOLVED WITH ONE SWITCH?”

“Next, we check the rocks, then go down the middle path.”

“What guards are there, I wonder?”

“Probably further down, past the end of the map.”

“Let's see here...”

“Just a click!”

“Middle path.”

“Where does this leave us?”

“And one last note – East First. I think that means we need to go in that direction.”

“But which way after that?”

It doesn't matter. One just leads to more fights than the other, and both paths meet up.

“Argh! Eyebeasts! Kill them!”

“Come on!”

“Caution is needed. These hairs are ... familiar.”

“You're right. Someone seems to be living here.”

“OH COME ON!”

“Even the cats are hostile!”

“Anti-magic, coming down!”

Much better. And thank goodness for the Burning on Bronwyn's weapon – the damage is based on the base of the weapon, and isn't reduced by the target's armor value.

“More to the south!”

“Ugh! So many!”

“And this door leads back to the way we came from.”

“Let's at least check out their library before we go.”

Except I already know all these!

“And naturally, we are accosted by more feral felines.”

“Being a cat person does not make you a good person!”

“This is the only way forward.”

“Once we deal with those behind us.”

“This is too easy! Where are the guards?”

“Sometimes, the lack of guards is a guard itself. Who would think something valuable would be unprotected? No, better to seek the path of most resistance to find the greater reward at the end.”

“Well, there are no traps.”

“Oh. There they are.”

“Everyone knows what to do.”

“Hey, does this count?”

No. This does not count as a Random Basilisk.

“LOOT!”

“Normally, that would be my line, but I'll let you have it.”

“Especially as I'm the one who is going to have to open all this.”

“Ooops.”

So, I triggered the chest, and only Bronwyn and Sass survived. :sigh: Reload!

“Phew! I thought that was going to blow up in my face for a moment there.”

“Wow!”

Ladies and Gentlemen of the thread, may I present to you, the fourth of the five Great Artifacts in the game. Weighing in at 100 pounds, or 45 kilos, I present to you the single most damaging weapon in the Exile Trilogy.

The Black Halberd is a 20/+5 weapon, compared to Sass' previous 18/+3 that he has been carrying around since the exploration of southern Valorim and got augmented. It also boasts 3/+5 Defence, making an excellent substitute for small shields. I don't know about the 'inspire fear' descriptor, but in terms of raw damage, only now has Sass overcome Arth-Tsss.

“I LOVE THIS! Listen to how it swings! How it moves! It shimmers!”

“At least we took out the home of the Rakshasa that destroyed Erox.”

“That we did.”

At this point, I went back to Lorelei. There, I sold off excess equipment and stuff, and headed back into Hawke's Manse to see if the final event had triggered yet. Over thirty days since I started it. And guess what?

“You know what, it's about time we really, properly, dealt with this guy.”

“Alright, what is it this time?”

You see a translucent middle-aged man. He's standing next to a statue, staring at you.

He says nothing.

He just points to the statue.

“Fine. Let's see what's so special about this statue.”

“what”

And here is the final reward for buying Hawke's Manse. He somehow has come into possession of the most powerful single-handed weapon in the game. I cheated the two Art has been using this whole game into her inventory at the start, to reflect the ones she has collected in the previous games. Now, she has a third, the one from this game.

Never going to equip it though. Everyone is already well-equipped for weapons.

“what”

And now it's time to begin the last Artifact Quest. This one is the hardest by far, as the next hardest – the Black Halberd – can be resolved by being massively overleveled. This next one though? It requires prep work.

To start it off, we have to go all the way back to Krizsan. In a small side-room by the Mayor's offices, there is sometimes a man who moves between here and Delan to the west. He is here today.

“Greetings.”

“Your coming was known to me. I will speak with you.” A wizard in dark robes sits crosslegged in front of you. He looks intently at you from under bushy eyebrows and clearly could not be less impressed. “I will not speak my name, for names have power, child.”

“Then what are you doing here?”

He shakes his head in amusement. “I am merely observing. In this age of Fury and Blades, knowledge is a true weapon.”

“I have to agree with you there. But what knowledge do you have?”

Yeah, he's a bit behind the times. This conversation would make more sense if you get him at the start of the game.

“The Vahnatai Rentar-Ihrno. We know. We're looking for her. But if you're the man I think you are, you also have knowledge of a certain Artifact we were told about months ago. I would wish to buy it from you.”

He thinks. “Well, I think 2500 gold is the going rate for true dedication these days. Perhaps you would like to purchase the location of the ring?”

“Yes.”

He gladly accepts your 'dedication'. “The Ring of Endless Magery is in the Tower of Zkal. That legendary tower, I have found, is at the southern end of the island south of the the city of Gale.”

“Thank you.”

“I am glad we got that out of the way. But why does it have to be Gale? I would much rather never have to go back there.”

“We'll be fine!”

“We'll just sneak in, grab that boat, and get across to the island. I think it's too far away for the orb.”

“And anything to thumb my nose at the Mayor there is a win in my book.”

“What book?”

“And just through town again...”

“Oh right, I hate boats.” :barf:

“And here we are. The town of Execa, and a whole island filled with the undead.”

“Joy.”

“There's not much here, but it looks like a hidden passage in the south-east corner of town.”

“Zombies. They're not much of a threat.”

“To us? No. But to civilians? A large one.”

“And we can't forget about the less corporeal versions, that can summon.”

“Let's see here...”

“Spectres? Lovely.”

“Well, that's it for the first town. Let's see what's next.”

Take a look at the damage Sass did with the Kill spell there – and realize that his Int is half that of Ni'aurrl's

“Yeah, we're pretty far from the shore. This island is thankfully isolated enough to keep the undead contained.”

“And for that, we are thankful.”

“I suppose that's our next stop.”

“This place has been savaged. It's like the undead attacked the land itself.”

“Not just that, but this place has barely been touched from a development perspective.”

“But why? We're far to the North – Gale is right there. Why ignore it?”

“A marshland this size doesn't get removed fast or easy. It may be simply better to let it lay fallow.”

“This must be Vila.”

“This place attacked by a horde. It had to be.”

“Nothing here.”

Yeah, I'm going to count this. This island is supposed to be Undead Territory, not Basilisk territory.

”Random Basilisk Count” posted:

“Well, well.”

“You know, if this island was being developed as a recluse for the rich and powerful, a home away from home, that might explain things.”

“Leave it.”

“Oh, that's not a good sign.”

Oh, frak me! There's over a dozen Ruby Skeletons here, and their ranged attack ignores Anti-magic fields!

Like so. Reload!

“Now, this is also a problem. Vampires!”

“Thankfully, we are all familiar with the Dispel Undead spell.”

“Except me.”

“And I'm not practised enough to cast it!”

“I don't like the burning skeletons.”

“And this must be Torria.”

“The last time we saw this, it was to protect its occupant from the lizards outside.”

“But this one looks like it has a temple inside.”

“Another destroyed holy place. Intelligent actions guide these undead.”

“Oooh!”

“Amazing!”

“Argh! This place just intersected the previous buildings, making getting in or out a chore. We'll have to navigate through carefully.”

And honestly, this is an excellent maze. It's not glaring or grating, but rather a simple question of 'how do I get through these buildings to get to where I want to go?'.

And Bronwyn hits level 50 as well, off of some random enemy here. Man, 32 Skill points to spend!

“Evidence in favor of my resort-slash-private island theory.”

“Like the other one, a secret passage in the south-east corner.”

“Except the inner ring is full of undead.”

“Easy enough to take care of.” :flame:

“Now, which way?”

“Oh.”

“Right, the usual everyone. LIGHT THEM UP!

“I am really beginning to like the Kill spell.”

I also do the dumb thing, and not bothered to cast the Ritual of Sanctification on the altar here. Because I'm an idiot.

“I feel like we forgot something. But it couldn't have been that important.”

“Massively overgrown. This can't be natural growth.”

“Shall we oblige?”

“This will be easy!”

“Excellent! A better spell than Fire Barrier!”

“I don't like marshes.”

“Better than sailing over the open water, that's for sure.”

“And I think we're here.”

And I will do this dungeon next time.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 22, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Take heart -- nothing happens if you try to sanctify that altar. Believe me, I tried.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 64 – A Nice Ring

"Sass, if you please."

"Sure!"

"You have to be kidding me."

"I hate mazes!"

"At least it's not one with moving floors."

"Well, I hope this ring is worth it.

Welcome to the Tower of Zkal. The hardest optional dungeon in the game. And the reason for that is actually pretty simple. Here, let me show you.

"As an Undead, maybe. No thanks."

"Well, let's see what sort of welcome we get."

Here it is. The dungeon actively drains your SP. Don't do what I did here. Be prepared with at least a dozen Medium Energy potions (Strong ones will get worn away before you can get full use out of them), and another dozen Piercing Crystals.

"I'm glad I mapped this place first. Imaging walking into the Quickfire!"

"That would be bad. But at least I don't have the weakness you guys have."

"Oh, shut up. The headache is bad enough as it is."

Look how much SP I've lost just walking north to this corner of the dungeon. And it's pretty much a straight line too!

"I wanna pull it!"

"Go ahead."

"Well, let's see what that did for us."

“Excellent!”

“Except all it leads to is a dead end!”

“Well, the other path isn't that much better. Perhaps we have to go south?”

“Oh, ye of little faith.”

“I could do with less faith, and more undead smashing!”

“Impressively natural looking. But why would there be something like this in here?”

“I don't know.”

“But there's still another secret door leading out.”

“Ugh, I feel so drained...”

“I don't.” :smug:

This is why you need the Piercing Crystals. I feel no shame in telling you all that I cheated in those potions and crystals now. Because I'm making this dungeon look easy. But when you can't cast Slow Group, or Major Blessing, or even healing spells, this place becomes astoundingly dangerous.

“After dealing with those, we should check on that chest.”

Four Medium Energy Potions. Literally a godsend if you're not prepared.

“No one say a thing about how we had to go through those barriers when the secret passage was right before them.”

“Knowing our luck, this teleporter will just take us to the other side of this stream.”

“But it's the only way forward!”

“Ugh. Where are we now?”

“Could be worse.”

Another confession time – I'm taking the shortest line to get to the end here. No exploring to the sides.

“Well, at least the rats are a nice change of pace.”

“And we're right back to the undead.”

“Which one?”

“The one in the back. More hidden, and it seems to lead to new places.”

“Killing!”

“Oh wait, no energy.”

“Well, it can't attack us here, so let's see what we can do.”

“Take another secret passage to what looks like stairs.”

“Down we go!”

“Some 'Tower', that only goes down.”

“Keep the lights down.”

“Yeah, this looks like undead central.”

I'm serious. There are a lot of undead here, and the mana-drain is still in effect. Sneaking by them is a viable strategy.

“It looks like there is a teleporter near the south side though. It should take us into the construction to the east.”

“But first, something in this cavern here.”

“More energy potions. We must conserve these.”

“Do we want to investigate those corpses?”

No, there's nothing on them, or in there aside from the flavor.

“This should be it.”

“It is!”

“Oh great, more of them.”

“No, this is a resonance key. I recognize the layout. The teleporters by themselves do nothing, but when you activate them in a certain order, you can build up enough energy to get to where you want to go!”

“huh?”

“You need to walk through different teleporters in order to get out.”

“Which ones is the question?”

“Give me a few moments. Thankfully, I don't need my mana to do this.”

“Hrm.”

“I see... this isn't a resonance cascade...”

“GOT IT!”

“YAY!”

“This one first.”

“Now, we have to go through it again.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes!”

“We're still here! Now where?”

“The south one.”

“Lovely.”

“And then back to the first one!”

“And here we are!”

“Wait! The walls are moving!”

I hate this room. It's dark, your SP is gone, and the walls are bouncing back and forth and it's next to impossible to get through without setting up barriers of your own, like as shown.

And if you screw up...

Let's do that again, this time with the liberal application of Fire Barriers that I can stand in and not worry about getting crushed.

“THIS IS A HORRIBLE IDEA!”

“But now we're out, right?”

“WHY US?!?!”

“I got this.”

“See?”

“Still hate you.”

“Ugh. This is annoying.”

“And of course the gates leading to the treasure are blocked off.”

“I do have to admit, the presence of Vahnatai undead is a surprise.”

“At least they aren't summoning talking spiders.”

“UGH! Webs everywhere!”

“What's going to try and kill us in this room?”

“ENOUGH WITH THE MOVING WALLS ALREADY!”

“Get to the switch!”

“At least we can't get crushed by the walls here.”

“I think that opened up the exit to the west.”

“But closed the one to the south.”

“Well, only one way to go.”

This is a bad idea. You'd be better off drinking your remaining energy potions now, buffing the party, then charging in.

Like so.

“Going for the Lich!”

“I yield!”

“What? Really?”

“I'm in an Anti-magic field. I don't need to fight you here and now. I will take my leave now that Zkal is dead.”

“I appreciate that.”

“Don't worry, you'll get what is due to you.”

“That was odd.”

“Eh, it's not like I haven't angered the demons enough.”

“Without care, these will safely destroy themselves.”

“Treasure!”

“Come on... there has to be a ring here somewhere...”

“FOUND IT!”

And here is the reward for this hellish dungeon. The Ring of Endless Magery is a 40-use full restore of your SP. That's right, it's effectively 40 Strong Energy Potions on a ring. It's going onto Ni'aurrl.

I also find it hilarious that your reward for getting through a dungeon that drains your SP is an item that gives it all back.
:lol:

“That's enough. Let's get back to Fort Emergence and see what's up. We have a lot of things to catch up now that we've finished being distracted.”

“Right, using the Amulet now.”

Here is a nice summary of the dungeon. Because I hate it.

The Tower of Zkal is Jeff Vogel breaking out his trolliest designs. A good 2/3rds of the first floor is dead-ends and fakeouts. There are cunningly-hidden secret doors that don't lead anywhere useful. There are obvious progression points that are locked off and impossible to unlock. There are teleporters all over the place that take you to a little pocket along the outside wall where your only choice is to leave the dungeon (resetting it in the process). The correct path on the first floor includes taking the correct teleporter in a series of three blind choices -- and each wrong choice forces you to leave the dungeon.

The enemies aren't anything much; mostly ghasts (slowing melee), wraiths (XP-draining melee), and spirits (weak spellcasters), with the occasional spectre (freezing, XP-draining melee) thrown in for flavor. But dealing with them without using magic, in a dungeon comprised entirely of 1-tile-wide corridors, is pretty irritating.

The second floor is much more straightforward. The portal puzzle can be solved by trial-and-error; there's a mushroom patch that changes each time you enter a portal, and you can use that to figure out which portals reset the puzzle, which do nothing, and which progress. The sliding walls do require some way to create an obstruction, whether it be a barrier, a summoned monster, or a web. And the fight at the end is pretty easy, so long as you use Antimagic Field. If you don't...well, sucks to be you, I guess.

Oh, and the treasure room has a cursed ring, a Bronze Ring, a Ring of Serpents (casts Sticks to Snakes when used) with 1 charge remaining, and the Ring of Magery.

And this is where my backlog of images ends. That has been all five Artifact Quests, and now it's time to get back to the main plot as there's not much left to do otherwise aside from incidental stuff. See you all next update!

berryjon fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 22, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The Tower of Zkal is Jeff Vogel breaking out his trolliest designs. A good 2/3rds of the first floor is dead-ends and fakeouts. There are cunningly-hidden secret doors that don't lead anywhere useful. There are obvious progression points that are locked off and impossible to unlock. There are teleporters all over the place that take you to a little pocket along the outside wall where your only choice is to leave the dungeon (resetting it in the process). The correct path on the first floor includes taking the correct teleporter in a series of three blind choices -- and each wrong choice forces you to leave the dungeon.

The enemies aren't anything much; mostly ghasts (slowing melee), wraiths (XP-draining melee), and spirits (weak spellcasters), with the occasional spectre (freezing, XP-draining melee) thrown in for flavor. But dealing with them without using magic, in a dungeon comprised entirely of 1-tile-wide corridors, is pretty irritating.

The second floor is much more straightforward. The portal puzzle can be solved by trial-and-error; there's a mushroom patch that changes each time you enter a portal, and you can use that to figure out which portals reset the puzzle, which do nothing, and which progress. The sliding walls do require some way to create an obstruction, whether it be a barrier, a summoned monster, or a web. And the fight at the end is pretty easy, so long as you use Antimagic Field. If you don't...well, sucks to be you, I guess.

Oh, and the treasure room has a cursed ring, a Bronze Ring, a Ring of Serpents (casts Sticks to Snakes when used) with 1 charge remaining, and the Ring of Magery.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I honestly never found the dungeon that awful (in either E3 or Avernum 3). The trick is that you just need to realize that spellcasters are near-useless and come prepared accordingly. It also helps that the enemies are all pretty lovely (even Quickghasts and Spectres are pretty meh at this stage of the game, unless they're attacking a wimpy caster).

1.) Swap around your party order so you've got a tanky melee dude in the #1 and #6 positions and let them basically solo all combat.
2.) Have said tanky dudes each carry a few healing potions to take care of themselves.
3.) Bring some kind of ranged attack to handle Spirits so they can't endlessly sling spells at you from out of range. They have crap defense and low health, so basically anything works - bows/crossbows if you've trained those (they kinda suck in Exile, but got a huge buff in the Avernum remakes), Wands, or even a Weak Energy Potion to drink potion->cast Flame.
4.) Bring some Piercing Crystals, as berryjon said.
5.) Whenever you use a Energy Potion, immediately spam the hell out of your healing magic (Heal All or equivalent, probably), since there's zero reason to conserve SP.
6.) Refill your Energy reserves before fighting Zkal and treat it like a usual battle. It's honestly kind of a letdown battle since he's basically a vanilla Lich - dangerous but nothing special.

As usual, you can also make the place significantly easier by just rolling in combat mode the entire way, so you can travel 4x as far in the same amount of SP-drain-time.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
And this is a game where nearly everyone can get magic, too. Oof.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Eesh, that certainly sounds rough for someone going in first time and figuring things out organically.

How quickly would you typically go through energy potions in the larger world that isn't constantly draining you? Since the ring has limited charges, I assume 40 of that strength is normally more than enough?

Update 63

berryjon posted:

In this age of Fury and Blades, knowledge is a true weapons.

It may be simply better to lat it lay fallow.

Update 64

berryjon posted:

Sass, of you please."

Strong ones will get worn away before you can get dull use out of them

I don't need to fight you where and now.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Zagglezig posted:

How quickly would you typically go through energy potions in the larger world that isn't constantly draining you? Since the ring has limited charges, I assume 40 of that strength is normally more than enough?

I tend to avoid consumables in general, but 40 charges is enough for most players across the whole of the game. It's more than enough to last the entire party for the rest of the LP.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Zagglezig posted:

Eesh, that certainly sounds rough for someone going in first time and figuring things out organically.

It depends on your playstyle, but in general you should rarely be in a situation where you can't retreat to the outdoors and rest up, rather than use an energy potion. The most obvious counterexample is getting into a fight that's bigger than you expected and thus outstrips your current SP reserves. Using energy potions is more fun than fleeing to rest, though. Fortunately the game hands out a decent number as loot.

If I recall correctly, my first time playing the game, I managed to empty out the Ring of Magery. But I was doing things like chain-casting expensive spells while passing the ring from one character to another to use it multiple times in quick succession. Assuming you exercise even a minimally reasonable amount of restraint, the Ring of Magery should last you the remainder of the game. It's not a full SP restore; I think it's 50 or 60 points. But that's still at minimum 2000 SP.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 65 – Wandering North

“Before we report in, let's get some training in.”

Art rounds off her Spell Points to an even 65, upgrades her base stats, and pushes up Edged Weapons to 14. These will be her stats until the end of the game as I decline to give her Skill Potions.

Eight more points in Assassination. I know I considered giving her more Defense to deal with her encumbrance, but she has a good balance of gear to give her 5 AP more often than 3 AP.

Sass maxes out his Priest and Mage spells, grabs a few more points of SP, then upps his Intelligence by 1. He's actually well rounded and a good build with five more levels to go.

Ni'aurrl maxes out her Priest Spells, then puts 6 more points into her SP.

Delilah, for her part, invests in 16 more SP, and then 4 more Archery to help make her better with her ranged weapon when casting won't be of use.

“Alright, lets see what the next assignment is.”

“Ah, Art. There you are. How was your ... sabbatical?”

“Productive. The Empire might be annoyed with the results. Oh, and we helped the Vahnatai secure one of their Resting Cells.”

“We were aware. They utilized their Recall spell to come here, and we had to debrief them regarding their interactions with Ghirka. It wasn't pleasant.”

“Were they evil?”

“No. They were exactly who and what they said they were. They aren't involved in Rentar-Ihrno's actions.”

“That's good to know. So, anything come up?”

“Yes. Bronwyn, you will have to take the lead on this.”

“I will?”

“The Thieves Guild in Lorelei has extended an offer of cooperation to Unspecified Services. They want you, as in, the team, to meet with their representative in Lorelei. However, as proof of our commitment, they would like us to acquire something of theirs and bring it back to them. They said you would know what they were talking about.”

“???”

“!!!”

“I take it you do?”

“Yes. But it would be a criminal enterprise, sir. Quite Illegal.”

“You have amnesty should any crime be committed in Exile.”

“Of course sir.”

“So, you're in the lead now.”

“Apprently so.”

“But Art is still Art, right?” :ohdear:

“This is just a temporary move.”

“That is true.”

“Eh, I don't mind. So, what's the first thing we need to do.”

“We need to go back to Shayder, and talk to ... Irving, I think? He would have the package.”

“Alright then! Let's get going.”

“Hello again.”

“Hello.”

“Still in the shipping business?”

“Thank you.”

“This should be it. Be careful, everyone.”

“That's raw Skribbane.”

“I wonder what the potency of that is.”

“It smells bad.”

“So, we just need to get this to Lorelei without being detained.”

“I have a solution to that.”

“What would that be?”

“First, let's go to Fenris Port and from there, take the ferry to Softport.”

“And from here, we go to the mountains to the south of Lorelei.”

“Ah, I get it now.”

“And we just fly over, bypassing the inspectors!”

“Alright, Kendra was in that gloves shop in the nor'west corner of the city.”

“Hello! I have something for you.”

Kendra looks you over. “Do you, perhaps, have something I might be interested in?” Bronwyn hands her the package. She runs to the wall, opens a cabinet and puts the package in. After a minute, she opens it again. It contains a sack of gold, which she hands to you. “Thanks! Care to hear about the Guild?”

“Of course. We're here at the request of the Guild.”

She reaches under her desk, and presses a discrete button. In the far corner of the room, a small door swings open. “Through there.”

“Thank you.”

“Hello.”

“There you are.” This man wears leather armor, with a peculiar eye insignia carefully painted on the breast. He has a sword lying across his lap, and black goo covers the blade. He looks like a tough customer. “I am Geoffrey. Welcome to the Guild.”

“It was the Guild who invited us here.”

He smiles coolly and rests his hand lightly on the hilt of his sword. “I know. I control the Guild of Thieves.”

“So you say. What does the guild want with us?”

“I will not say details about the guild. I will not let you join. However, it may be to the guild's advantage to assist you.”

“How can you assist us?”

He grins viciously. “Let me count the ways! I have valuable intelligence about access to Blackcrag Fortress. I know useful secrets of certain miscreants. And, most intriguingly, I can sometimes help people pretend to be members of the Anama. And you can even purchase tools from me!”

“Let's start from the bottom then. A miscreant that that you're willing to sell out like that must have done something wrong.”

“A certain, normally successful thief was recently slain. He tried to run off with one of my packages, and suffered an accident. An unfortunate accident. Accidental disembowelling. Very sad. At any rate, I know where he concealed his loot. I'll tell you for 500 gold.”

“Recovering some of your profits? Might as well.”

“He had this weird thing for hiding loot in stables. Heaven knows why. When you find an animal pen, though, take a peek around. You might find something good.”

Yeah, like that narrows things down.

“And what about the Anama?”

“The Anama are freaks. But they're sure to have a massive treasure in their temple. I can sometimes get some rings they used to mark themselves as members. You might be able to sneak into their inner sanctum wearing them. If you ever want a set for yourselves, keyed to your other member, they're only 2500 gold.”

“Seems like a good idea.”

This is how you fake your Anama membership.

“Well, this could be useful, or not. So, Blackcrag Fortress? That is why you called us here, wasn't it?”

“It is well known that the Empire has quarantined off Valorim to prevent the monster plagues from spreading. The gateway from the rest of the Empire to Valorim is Blackcrag Fortress. What is not as well known is that some of us have a tunnel to bring people and goods in and out of Valorim.”

“You have our attention. What is it about this tunnel?”

“There is a tunnel through the mountains to the north. A fork in this tunnel is a secret entrance into Blackcrag Fortress. It is our tunnel, not yours.” He grins. “But I can sell you permission to pass through it. For only a scant 3000 gold. If you want my permission, let me know.”

“Here is your 3000 gold, we'll have your permission.”

He collects the cash. “The tunnel is in a secret valley about sixty miles east of Blackcrag Fortress. Enter, and the thieves there will explain where to go. Good luck.”

“Thank you.”

“So, I, uh, heard you had those special gloves ready for me?”

“Of course! Just one moment.”

“There is nothing here!”

Time to move forward. This is the north side of Lake Timor, the central body of water in Valorim. As you can see, I really only stayed on the road when hitting up the towns, and there are still large sections of the map still blacked out. For the rest of the update, I'm going to be poking around things I missed while wandering northward.

“I have to wonder, what is the source of all this water that is coming from the mountains. It cannot be precipitation.”

“Oh, now this is interesting.”

“Hello?”

“Deserters. Bandits.”

“COME ON THEN!”

“Was that completely necessary?”

“Yes.”

“What she said!”

“Random Golems still attacking Greendale.”

“And we can't find that treasure anywhere!”

“Is that a wall over there?”

“We'll get around to that later.”

“Appropriate.”

South-west of Greendale

“Hold on, we can go west from here, and not just south.”

“Neat!”

“Like we were ever going to pay them.”

“Neat! This is how we get here without flying!”

North-west of Greendale

“I think I see someone!”

“We agree.”

“Gladly.”

“Too bad we couldn't stay and chat.”

“Hey General. This is for you.”

There's actually not a lot up this way. Mostly tight turns in the trees to allow the Golems to ambush you more easy.

“Can't fly there.”

“But we can fly there!”

“Leave them.”

“More life this way.”

“And the other end of the barrier wall.”

“NOW I GET IT!”

“What?”

“This barrier? It's made from the mountains! It wasn't conjured, it was transformed from the base materials present! That's why everyone kept talking about the mountains up here. If they really blocked the whole thing off, the wall wouldn't be needed!”

“Leave it.”

:(

“Leave them. I suspect a trap.”

“Now that we're back on the other side of that river, let's check out that wall.”

“...”

Time to head north from here.

“A whole lot of nothing.”

“They did a good job.”

“They did. They all deserve big statues!”

“???”

“???”

“???”

“?!?!?”

“Guess where we're not going!”

You know, I really get the feeling that a lot of the regions in the north of Valorim were underdeveloped.

“Didn't someone say something about a square of rocks?”

“Maybe? A bird or something?”

“We know that already.”

In the mountains along the north edge of the map.

“Wait a minute!”

“This is where the Church of the Divine Lucre is located?”

No, but just in case...

... eh ... maybe worth it?

“We are too far east for this to be relevant to Blackcrag.”

“Nothing out of the ordinary.”

“No sense in picking a fight.”

“Not when we can do this, and fly around them!”

“We really want to leave this alone.”

“Now I remember! We go east from here to the stone square, then start in the north and go 15 miles north!”

“And this is the metal that blacksmith wanted, right?”

“Oh no.”

“Fight!”

“Well, at least the Beastslayer gets a workout.”

“Might as well see what's keeping these things in.”

“Well, we've come this far.”

“Yeah. Let's find somewhere else to be.”

berryjon fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 22, 2017

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Certainly packing in the updates this weekend.

I was starting to wonder where the Anama theft came in. I half-imagined they'd have one of the legendary items, but it makes sense to not force the player to burn a relationship bridge to get one of those.

...A Burma Shave joke, of all things.

berryjon posted:

“And what about the Anama?”
“The Anama are freaks. But

We go east form here to the stone square

Pretty sure that top question should be Bronwyn.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Zagglezig posted:

Certainly packing in the updates this weekend.
It's a long weekend up here in the great white north. I'd have another one or two done today, but I'm being dragged off to the swimming pool with my family, and then I go back to work bright and early tomorrow morning.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Fun fact: I managed to stumble across that lump of metal without following the directions. I came in from the east -- if you're exploring west/northishly from the golems, you'll enter the Guild lands from the back and then head southwest. My path just happened to exactly overlap the tile that has the metal on it.

Also, someone was asking about the guys with the eye symbol earlier? Here you go: they're members of the Thieves Guild.

Relatedly, if you're reasonably savvy about fantasy tropes and how suspicious Kendra is, you'll figure out that something's up and intuit the most likely scenario (viz. that her shop is a front). You can just ask her about thieving or guilds and she'll let you right in to the back room, no smuggling required.

Are you going to rob the Anama? What about the towns of Sharimik or Gale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

IIRC, the "loot hidden in Stables" thing is actually a fairly useful tip - there's a bunch of different stables with semi-useful loot buried. Nothing super-valuable, but wands, potions and other minor consumables like that.

• Locked thread