Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Breath of the wild but all the horses are replaced with atvs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

LethalGeek posted:

In not Zelda games this is true.

Except for all the Zelda games that came before that were linear and good, which is pretty much every Zelda game except arguably the DS entries, Skyward Sword, and definitely the CDi games. Revisionist bullshit about how bad linearity is in Zelda games is worse than linearity in videogames ever has been. Linear Zelda games that are considered "bad" aren't bad because they are linear, they are bad because they are Not Great Zelda Games. And even the ones that goons have decided are 'bad' are still pretty fun to run though at least once.

The 'im getting rewarded for exploring' is nice if you need a constant drip feed of endorphins every time you find the exact same thing that ultimately is worthless to your actual success in the game. Korok seeds are a dumb reward. Spirit Orbs are a dumb reward. They are dumb rewards because they are everywhere and the only thing that actually counts as a real treasure in the games because they are the only things that possess anything close to permanence. They don't approach anywhere near the same level as finding an actual key item you can use in multiple ways, and part of that problem is that you have an iPhone with you constantly that DOES all that from essentially the start of the game.

Finding a sick sword in BotW doesn't mean much because it's in your inventory for a very short time unless you absolutely refuse to use it unless you 'need' it, and that alone is the single best argument against the durability system in the game. I know the counter argument is that it 'forces' variety except that weapons all have the same combos within their own type no matter what it is you are using, and the biggest attribute differences are 'hit harder', 'how many bokoblins can it survive before breaking' and 'does it have an element'.

Shrines suck rear end compared to actual dungeons. The actual dungeons in BotW are weak compared to the best dungeons in arguable the worst Zelda games people like to rag on all the time.

All this said, it's a fun game and I'm glad I played it but I'll probably never go back to it again, much less bother with any of the DLC. I'm tired of slowly climbing up a mountain and trying to pretend it's exciting I found another korok seed for the hundredth or so time.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Patter Song posted:

Change is only good if what is replacing something is better than what that thing was before. This is not true of Breath of the Wild.
I'm sorry you have no imagination. Thankfully this is the minority opinion cause if they made another OoT/TP/SS style zelda game that held my hand the whole time, didn't challenge me, and was the same tired set pieces between lame cutscenes I'd be joining the folks saying Nintendo is dead.

^^ assume I meant this for that wall of text too.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Breath of the Wild is a rare 10/10 game and if you don't like it I honestly feel bad for you. It's​just stuffed with design and polish and thoughtfulness at every turn. Every five minutes when I'm playing it some little detail happens that blows me away. Doesn't mean it could not be improved but it's just a master class in game design that puts pretty much every other open world game to shame.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Hey guys the switch is good and fun

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I never played earthbound is it good?

If you like RPGs its something you should definitely check out. Its weird, its different, and for that reason I avoided it as a kid when I was into fantasy RPGs, but if you want something weird and different its pretty amazing.

It also does some clever things that other RPGs of the era didn't do.

Its like a Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy game, but instead of Dragons and Sorcery, its The Goonies.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yeah I'm about an hour in to the switch version of BotW and it is juuuust not doing it for me at all. I don't get the same pleasure from exploration that most folks do, it seems--I just get bored.

I guess I could play it and rush through the four beasts and Ganon, as you all say, but... ehn. :geno:

Oh well! I guess even 10/10 games can't be good to everyone.

(edit) Definitely seems like a good portable timewaster, I suppose, but I've got Kamiko and BoI+ for that.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah I'm about an hour in to the switch version of BotW and it is juuuust not doing it for me at all. I don't get the same pleasure from exploration that most folks do, it seems--I just get bored.

I guess I could play it and rush through the four beasts and Ganon, as you all say, but... ehn. :geno:

(edit) Definitely seems like a good portable timewaster, I suppose, but I've got Kamiko and BoI+ for that.

It's actually insanely good.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

The dlc is going to be about Zelda's story right

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

:same:

Finished Blaster Master Zero with the good ending in one sitting, great game. Has-Been Heroes is next!

What exactly is Has-Been Heroes anyway? I couldn't get a sense of it from the trailer.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Patter Song posted:

I've gathered as much. I guess I'm just coming to terms with Zelda maybe not being the series for me from here on out. This game stripped away basically everything I actually liked in the series.

🙄

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

"Hey guys I'm being contrarian for attention."

>makes farting noises with mouth

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTsgWepH3GY
This guy put to words/video why I had to slog through Twilight Princess, almost forcing myself to finish it over a year. It is nearly the same exact thing over and over again. Like him I didn't fully pick up on this in my brain but something was dragging the game down for me in a big way, when at that point I would have been all "whatever it's zelda they're all good right?"

Excellent Dungeons they are not.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 14, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I hope I'm not attention-whoring! I just don't seem to like exploration games much anymore, is all.

(edit) oops or were you talking to Patter Song :ohdear:

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

"An opposing opinion, in my comfortable circlejerk thread?! MODS?!"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I'll shill for anything if I like it enough!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
The switch is chill, and this thread should be chill too

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Different people like different things in their Zelda games? Shocking!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

:laugh:

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Ciaphas posted:

Minimise the HUD by setting it to pro mode and look for something interesting and head in that direction!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

a.lo posted:

The dlc is going to be about Zelda's story right

I loving hope not.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Zaphod42 posted:

Its like a Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy game, but instead of Dragons and Sorcery, its The Goonies.

drat, I've never been able to come up with a really good description for Earthbound, but that's perfect.

Ciaphas posted:

This is very true. I was the odd man out when Horizon Zero Dawn (if that counts) came out who enjoyed the game but couldn't stay interested in the gameplay itself. I thought the main plotline was really cool but unlike a few of my friends I couldn't get into the combat at all and as soon as I started to get pieces of the backstory I lost what little interest I had in fighting things or collecting garbage or seeing the world in favor of beelining toward the resolution.

I've definitely found that open world RPGs fall into two categories for me, ones where I spend tons and tons of hours farting around and exploring (e.g. BotW, Bethesda games), and ones where I'm super interested in the plot and would really like the gameplay to stop wasting my time so I can advance it (e.g. HZD, Witcher). I think I prefer the former by kind of a lot.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I've been a zelda fan since I was a kid with the first game on the NES. I played and loved ALL of them up until Twilight Princess which I despised and kind of fell out of love with the series after failing to finish it. Enjoyed Phantom Hourglass and LBW (didn't like Spirit Tracks) and have never touched Skyward Sword.

I got BOTW as my first Switch game and really enjoyed it. I beat it at around 46 hours played. Did a good smattering of shrines and exploring, didn't grind bits and pieces for crafting or anything. I feel like I sampled all that the game had to offer. It was a very enjoyable game, but I was definitely getting pretty tired of the formula by the end. I knew after a certain point that if I didn't just go straight to Hyrule Castle and finish it that I'd get bored/burned out pretty quickly. So I went to Hyrule Castle and found that I didn't feel like exploring any of it. I just found any way I could to beeline straight for the top and face Ganon. I still don't even really know what Hyrule Castle is like - I just swam up the waterfall and used the bird move to fly up to the last boss ASAP because I was growing tired of playing. Beat Ganon on my first try and just haven't played it since.

I don't think that there's anything exceptional about the game design of BOTW - it's just an exceptional example of the open world exploration game. It does what it does super well and exploring is a joy in it. It's also a very repetitive and tedious game at times, and there's nothing particularly deep or interesting about the combat. I still really enjoyed my time with the game and there are certain things about it that I think are fantastic. I'll definitely replay it some day. I don't think it's "The Greatest Game Of All Time", and the near-religious fervor exhibited by people over it is kind of weird to me, but I understand why it's like that with how Nintendo people can be and all

Anyway that's my take on BOTW thanks for reading seeya

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

If that's what you want to think, fine. I've discussed my problems with this game since literally the week of release. This game is far too large and roomy for the tight, consistently-progressing experience I crave in a Zelda game that, say, Minish Cap or Link's Awakening delivers, where you can be in the next dungeon and moving on with the story 10-15 minutes out of the last one. It doesn't give you any sense of progress or checkpoints that make you feel how far you've come in your quest or how much closer you are to the resolution. Even the main story dungeons feel incidental to the actual quest against Ganon, probably because they literally are incidental to the fight against Ganon. The size of the world does nothing but give you far too much time on the road between story quests. Nothing feels like it matters because all of the game's content is optional except killing Ganon.

I am not going to say that you're wrong for enjoying this game, that's a matter of taste, but it's pretty much the opposite of everything I was looking for in a Zelda game.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Patter Song posted:

If that's what you want to think, fine. I've discussed my problems with this game since literally the week of release. This game is far too large and roomy for the tight, consistently-progressing experience I crave in a Zelda game that, say, Minish Cap or Link's Awakening delivers, where you can be in the next dungeon and moving on with the story 10-15 minutes out of the last one. It doesn't give you any sense of progress or checkpoints that make you feel how far you've come in your quest or how much closer you are to the resolution. Even the main story dungeons feel incidental to the actual quest against Ganon, probably because they literally are incidental to the fight against Ganon. The size of the world does nothing but give you far too much time on the road between story quests. Nothing feels like it matters because all of the game's content is optional except killing Ganon.

I am not going to say that you're wrong for enjoying this game, that's a matter of taste, but it's pretty much the opposite of everything I was looking for in a Zelda game.

Don't bother. Despite your opinion being just as valid as unabashed praise for the game is, this level of "discussion" is the same horseshit moderation has consistently failed to address in the Switch thread and it's not going to change.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
If you don't like things that are bad in retrospect, I'm surprised you have a dangan ronpa avatar

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

Don't bother. Despite your opinion being just as valid as unabashed praise for the game is, this level of "discussion" is the same horseshit moderation has consistently failed to address in the Switch thread and it's not going to change.

nice meltdown

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I liked BotW but I also agree with a lot of the things people didn't like about it, and I'm legitimately sad that it means the end of 'traditional' Zelda games.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Sakurazuka posted:

I liked BotW but I also agree with a lot of the things people didn't like about it, and I'm legitimately sad that it means the end of 'traditional' Zelda games.

As a huge fan of 2D Metroid games I'm pretty used to that feeling by now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:smith: I liked old school Resi games too

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
On a happier note: I finally passed 100% in Puyo Puyo Tetris. I cannot put that damned game down. I love it to death.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Linear and openworld zelda can both be good but they really struggled with making linear 3d zelda consistently engaging after wind waker so I'm not sad to see it go for a bit.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

This is unfair. People are arguing both points here. I don't see the problem in allowing both sides to discuss what they do or don't like about the switch/breath of the wild.

Some people might be more acerbic or pointed but if they step way over the line then they get sanctioned. We have discussed this before. I don't want a toned down discussion because that is boring. If that feels bad to you then I apologise but I am not going to change it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I for one happen to like the Switch!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hey at least it's not the PS4 thread where every good game from this year is now poo poo because the loudest shouters there didn't like them

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sakurazuka posted:

Hey at least it's not the PS4 thread where every good game from this year is now poo poo because the loudest shouters there didn't like them

Tripping over a bar resting on the ground doesn't mean you've cleared it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

LethalGeek posted:

I'm sorry you have no imagination. Thankfully this is the minority opinion cause if they made another OoT/TP/SS style zelda game that held my hand the whole time, didn't challenge me, and was the same tired set pieces between lame cutscenes I'd be joining the folks saying Nintendo is dead.

^^ assume I meant this for that wall of text too.

Holding players hands isn't linearity

Challenge isn't linearity

Same set pieces isn't linearity, hell Botw is probably the least original in terms of set pieces outside of Kakariko

It's possible to go back to a linear style and fix all of these things, instead of completely branching out to open world.

LethalGeek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTsgWepH3GY
This guy put to words/video why I had to slog through Twilight Princess, almost forcing myself to finish it over a year. It is nearly the same exact thing over and over again. Like him I didn't fully pick up on this in my brain but something was dragging the game down for me in a big way, when at that point I would have been all "whatever it's zelda they're all good right?"

Excellent Dungeons they are not.

If you watched his series, hell even that video, he doesn't really poo poo on later zelda dungeon design including TP's as much as you're doing here. He more just laments the focus away from navigational puzzles and the focus on a guided and flowing style, each with good puzzles and pacing and atmosphere that usually get better as the series goes on. They are the same in progression style, but progression isn't everything to what makes dungeons great and Mark Brown has said that himself multiple times.

And even if you aren't willing to engage on the above point, Lakebed Temple owns.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Lol the PS4 thread

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Tripping over a bar resting on the ground doesn't mean you've cleared it.

Baby steps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Sakurazuka posted:

What we need is a "Zelda Generations" game, so you can play as any era of Link that you would prefer.

• Locked thread