Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
This Gobbo release seems to be aimed at orc players that want to throw something during the game, so it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

JcDent posted:

This Gobbo release seems to be aimed at orc players that want to throw something during the game, so it seems.

Theres a full team available as well - the secret weapons are going to be forgeworld.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Marmaduke! posted:

Four placcy gobbos for £10, thank you GW for your commitment to me not getting back into the miniatures game!

That's the expansion, not the full team.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I was not under the impression that 4 goblins makes up a full team, actually...

(Lol autocorrect)

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 13, 2017

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Marmaduke! posted:

I was not under the impression that 4 goblins makes up a full team, actually...

(Lol autocorrect)

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/BLOOD-BOWL-SCARCRAG-SNIVELLERS-GOBLIN-TEAM-2017

The 4 goblin pack is for orc teams, which can take 0-4 Goblins.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm in favour of the four pack, as that's all I want for my Orcs.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I'm in favour of the four pack, as that's all I want for my Orcs.

Taking Goblins on an Orc team? Just hurl those points harder into the trash.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Goblin is basically the only thing orcs can hurl.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
With the right skills orks have a surprisingly decent passing game. They're no elves but it can definitely be done.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Taking Goblins on an Orc team? Just hurl those points harder into the trash directly into the endzone an opponent.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I've never been crazy about goblins on my ork team. Not sure if I'll pick them up or get a full goblin team or what. Never played straight goblins before. Seems kinda suicidal.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

That booster pack is definitely a really merciful idea though. Goblin teams are always super awesome to play against.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
One goblin for emergency "I really should score in this one-turn-left drive" situations can be nice.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah I'm glad GW is at least offering a booster pack option rather than saying "buy the gobbo team if you want 2-4 gobbos lol"

Blood Bowl really calls for them selling blister packs of every model individually so you can kit your team as needed.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I'm glad GW is at least offering a booster pack option rather than saying "buy the gobbo team if you want 2-4 gobbos lol"

Blood Bowl really calls for them selling blister packs of every model individually so you can kit your team as needed.

Yeah, but good luck getting game shops to stock them like that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, but good luck getting game shops to stock them like that.

GW sells tons of stuff that's only available online. If kits are sold in stores and individual blisters are online only, I'd be cool with that.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So, I played my third game of Necromunda in our campaign. I had settled on a moniker for the gang: The West Sump Mad Dogs. I was keen, I was ready, I had my ducks in a row, my birds in the hand, my ants in my pants, the time was ripe. I got absolutely hammered in the funniest way possible, which was great but may scupper my campaign entirely. Here's what happened:

It all started when I arrived for a game. My opponent, who is my fellow Necromunda novice and whom I managed to beat last time, had hired a Bounty Hunter. We marveled at this mountain of a man's statistics and heavy armament. My friend had managed to roll +1T and +1W among other advances, so I knew he would be a very tough cookie.

My opponent then deployed said bounty hunter, along with 2 shotgun gangers, via the Tunnels rule, essentially infiltrating right into the rear of my force, in my deployment zone, as close as allowed to my models. I thought he'd rather made a tactical blunder, because models which deploy via Tunnels can't act that turn, they are vulnerable. I successfully pinned down his other tunnel rats and moved to isolate the Bounty Hunter, since I couldn't immediately draw a bead on him. I figured he'd probably down one of my guys, but then I could rush him. I slyly moved a Juve into a tempting position for this purpose.

His turn, his Bounty Hunter charges my sacrificial lamb. Fine, the rest of his army is still maneuvering toward me and I will be in a position to clear him up next turn. The combat is actually a draw, since I roll better than him - but his higher Initiative means he wins, capturing my Juve.

My turn, I charge his other tunnel rats, taking them out, and charge the Bounty Hunter with my gang Leader and my toughest Juve. Both equipped for close combat. The Bounty Hunter rolls high in both successive combats, putting down and capturing both models over two rounds, covering his next turn.

My next turn, three models try and take that goddamn bounty hunter out, but can't even scratch his high T.

His turn, Bounty Hunter breaks free of pinning, charges and downs my Heavy, capturing him. This maniac has clobbered and hogtied 4 of my 11 models now. None of the enemy gangers have even engaged my models. The one man army has broken my back on his own.

I fail my bottle check and run, leaving 4 of the Mad Dogs, including the 2 most expensive and important ones, in the hands of my enemy. Now being captured in Necromunda means you have several options:
- Negotiate a ransom. The equipment he can take off those 4 models costs more than the cash I have to offer, so I basically have to give him everything I have, and it's still the better move for him to refuse.
- Sold into slavery. He can get revenue for each model, and keeps their gear. This is his best option and my guys are to all intents and purposes dead, so I'm screwed.
- Play the Rescue scenario, which seems both complex and dicey. We each have random numbers to start the game, but his guys come in at my denuded rescue party as reinforcements, and I wouldn't have any reinforcements, even if I had enough models left in the gang!

God drat, 4 of my 11 are in limbo, and I've still got another guy captured by another campaign participant (I'm trying to Rescue him tomorrow). Can the Mad Dogs chew their way free from their bonds?

Necromunda is fun.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
The Raid (Rescue) is fairly heavily weighted in the attackers' favour - assuming average rolls for the starting gangs. I've seen plenty go either way but I would say it's worth the attempt. You gotta be patient and cautious, spend as much time as you can manoeuvring to get into a killer position before rushing the defenders in a coordinated strike.

Bounty Hunter auto capture is a dumb rule in my opinion though. Also I think it's silly that the bounty hunter captures all these guys and then just leaves them for the hiring gang to do whatever they like, he should be keeping them for the bounty/reward/whatever or at least take a huge chunk of any proceeds from ransom or selling them on.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Zaphod42 posted:

GW sells tons of stuff that's only available online. If kits are sold in stores and individual blisters are online only, I'd be cool with that.

Isn't the issue with this that people need smaller priced stuff in stores to impulse buy?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tarbrush posted:

Isn't the issue with this that people need smaller priced stuff in stores to impulse buy?

Well that's completely some other issue. Its unrelated. Blood bowl by its rules makes you want to hire different positions and change your lineup, that doesn't work if they only have a big team kit, you have to buy an entire second team just to get a couple extra dudes.

I'm not talking about impulse buying, and you don't really impulse buy a major hobby like this anyhow.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Well that's completely some other issue. Its unrelated. Blood bowl by its rules makes you want to hire different positions and change your lineup, that doesn't work if they only have a big team kit, you have to buy an entire second team just to get a couple extra dudes.

I'm not talking about impulse buying, and you don't really impulse buy a major hobby like this anyhow.

Do know how much variety there is in team lists, what with orks being 4 BOBs, 4 Bltzers, a troll, a thrower and a lineman as the Good List.

Meanwhile, in Shadow Wars: Morheim news

Supposedly it will be 250pts, bring whatever you have game. That wizard looks like something too strong for regular Mordheim, right?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'd hope that in a hobby-based game like this if an Orc player wanted a single goblin he'd have better options than to pay £10 for a box of 4. I suppose 12 for £20 isn't so bad though, GW do have to make some money after all.

It's a shame that GW don't seem to have made any improvements to the goblin team in-game though. Maybe something as simple as general skills access would help. Maybe being able to argue the call helps their foulers, at least.

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 14, 2017

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

you don't really impulse buy a major hobby like this anyhow.

Hey fellas, get a load of this guy! A real jokester!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Hey fellas, get a load of this guy! A real jokester!

Don't forget your ForgeWorld items.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
My chaos chosen got destroyed by a goblin team just last night

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

JcDent posted:

Do know how much variety there is in team lists, what with orks being 4 BOBs, 4 Bltzers, a troll, a thrower and a lineman as the Good List.

Supposedly it will be 250pts, bring whatever you have game. That wizard looks like something too strong for regular Mordheim, right?

Could be characters up to 100-125 points. A Wizard is 100, and a bunch of the smaller fighting characters are 80-100.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Thundercloud posted:

Could be characters up to 100-125 points. A Wizard is 100, and a bunch of the smaller fighting characters are 80-100.

So it's actually FROSTGRAVE!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ineptmule posted:

The Raid (Rescue) is fairly heavily weighted in the attackers' favour - assuming average rolls for the starting gangs. I've seen plenty go either way but I would say it's worth the attempt. You gotta be patient and cautious, spend as much time as you can manoeuvring to get into a killer position before rushing the defenders in a coordinated strike.

Bounty Hunter auto capture is a dumb rule in my opinion though. Also I think it's silly that the bounty hunter captures all these guys and then just leaves them for the hiring gang to do whatever they like, he should be keeping them for the bounty/reward/whatever or at least take a huge chunk of any proceeds from ransom or selling them on.

Funny you should say that . . . turned up, and I ended up playing to rescue my 4 guys (inc leader and heavy) before the 1 guy, which was my first mistake. Would have been better to try the rules in the lower-stakes game first. We were obviously a bit unfamiliar with the rules, and I managed to sneak up close, but not so close that I could charge both his sentries simultaneously. I then took out his leader (the first sentry) but his insanely tough Bounty Hunter (the second sentry) shrugged off the hits. The alarm was raised. That god drat Bounty Hunter took 3 turns to die, taking down 2 more of my own men, while my opponent effortlessly rolled his reinforcements onto the table in a perfect pincer movement. Everything went wrong essentially. By the time I cut my guys free and tried to rush the nearest opponents standing in my way, a net of more numerous and better-armed enemies were closing in. I ended up bottling to save my last rescuers, it was obvious no-one was going to get back to my board edge.

It's an interesting mission and I would be interested to play it a few times. It probably does favour the attacker if you play it just right. Unfortunately the terrain interacted with the edge I came in on and his placement of my guys that I couldn't get quite into melee range easily. A few bad rolls and the resulting delay led me into a death spiral. The game sort of left a bad taste in my mouth because my opponent, while a very sporting guy normally, didn't 'get' the Sentry rules and was visibly not having fun as my guys snuck up. So I kind of rushed in a bit more than I would have under perfect circumstances. Maybe due to the high stakes for the campaign, we just felt a bit tenser than usual. At the same time, it was still a hilarious situation really, everyone in the club was laughing about it.

Because none of my captive guys fully escaped (I cut them all free, but they didn't get off the board) we counted them all as recaptured and sold into slavery. Hope that's right? I was heartily pleased that the accursed Bounty Hunter (named Boba by my opponent) died of the wounds I gave him. His employer immediately hired a replacement, Jango, before his next game! All in all, that put me down 4 blokes sold away, I lost 1 more dead during the rescue attempt. The Mad Dogs currently have 6 members, one of whom is still captured by another opponent! I will look out for the opportunity to play one more Rescue and get my other guy back before I decide whether to retire the gang from the campaign.

Due to this, I shelved them and grabbed out the other gang I've converted, Orlocks. The East Sump Lead Farmers. They had their inaugural match (Gang Fight) against the player with the highest bloody gang rating in the league! I should say, these guys have been playing for a few weeks, some players have had up to 10 games. So my opponent's Cawdor had a gang rating on 1900+, 600 points higher than mine. I still felt a bit wobbly on the tactics but by sheer luck I won the initial gunplay as we closed on each other. He then failed his bottle roll and lost! I raked in a cool 'giant-killer' bonus to my income and XP, and the victory was just big enough (3 casualties caused to 1 casualty taken, and all his went out of action) that I even seized a territory from him, although unfortunately it was a relatively worthless 'Old Ruins'.

A great start, but I can remember being equally enthused when the Goliaths won their first 2 games. They've now played 4 games and hang on the precipice of annihilation. Necromunda is a fun, very random, super swingy bag of tricks.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

JcDent posted:

Where are you finding this?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Where are you finding this?

I dunno where THEY found it, but this appeared on my local hams FB group.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, the birdog has the hosed up wrist thing. Good to know they stuck with that design decision.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

JcDent posted:

I dunno where THEY found it, but this appeared on my local hams FB group.

It's the force the guy who wrote the Hinterlands unofficial supplement is going to be using to play the new Age of Sigmar skirmish game at Warhammer World. They'll be streaming it on their twitch thing on the 17th.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Genghis Cohen posted:

Because none of my captive guys fully escaped (I cut them all free, but they didn't get off the board) we counted them all as recaptured and sold into slavery. Hope that's right?

No! Fighters that are freed escape even if they don't make it off the table. From the rulebook:

"A prisoner is rescued and free to move and fight once cut free by a friendly fighter."

"The game ends if all the captives and attackers are either down, taken out of action, or leave the table edge that they were deployed from. The game also ends if the attacker bottles out. ... [ details follow about bottle thresholds.]

"If all captives are rescued then the attackers win the game otherwise the defenders win. If any prisoners are not rescued then another escape attempt cannot be made and they may be sold to the guilders."

Sounds like the two more guys being captured by the bounty hunter will have been a lovely next situation to deal with, but you should have got your boys back.

So it probably would have been worth trying to keep them going. Your opponent definitely should not get the cash from selling them as slaves though, that's completely wrong.

Your bounty hunter loving friend needs to be punched in the dick, especially if he's going to gripe about his sentries in rescue scenarios because he'll be playing a lot of them. Wanker.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I'm going to make a prediction in this thread - I believe there will be one more round of Blood Bowl made to order - not necessarily next month (thats the big warhammer 40k release right?) but this year. The teams will be Wood Elf, Norse/Amazon (not both) and Halfling, with a tree man up separate as well.

I ordered the Necromantic team (but i'll order a third party flesh golem and werewolf to complete the team) and caved in and got the goblin team and a troll. I really dig the new fanatic, even if it is resin.

I also finished painting my Chaos Dwarf team, just need to matte varnish the gloss, and base them.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Better keep your head on a swivel, because there's cross posts a-plenty...

The Sex Cannon posted:

Are you ready for some football?

It's a Monday Sunday night party!

This friend seems almost too rowdy...

I went with a classic Gouged Eye color scheme for Varag because he's their team captain. With SRM's help, I found the old, old color scheme for the Chaos All-Stars, and painted Morg'n'Thorg in that dark green and red scheme, because I believe that was the team that made him famous. My team is currently killing it in my BB league, so I don't know if I'll ever actually use these guys, but they were a blast to paint.

I don't like the "pitcher" troll that GW sells for Orc or Goblin BB teams. What is the next best thing to do if I want to make a 2-troll Goblin team? Has anyone converted those sweet River Trolls (or whatever the gently caress they're called now)?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

The Sex Cannon posted:

I don't like the "pitcher" troll that GW sells for Orc or Goblin BB teams. What is the next best thing to do if I want to make a 2-troll Goblin team? Has anyone converted those sweet River Trolls (or whatever the gently caress they're called now)?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/01/12/andys-blood-bowl-troll-conversion/

Its not much of a conversion, but this guy used one. Since they come in a pack of 3 you should have good enough options. Someone on facebook also posted a photo of the blood bowl troll with a slightly better pose that I intend to try to replicate (the arm not being right in front of the face helps a lot)

I'm going to try and find the old Ripper model for my second because I want a stone troll and a river troll on my team. If you're doing a strict GW league then those are your best options but if its not run by GW you could go third party. I'm fond of the Willy miniatures trolls but you can see a good selection of third party models here http://www.comixininos.com/blood-bowl-teams/elfos-oscuros-1/trolls.html

Also your models look amazing.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The Sex Cannon posted:

Yeah, River Trolls work pretty well. You can keep it simple and just nail shoulder pads and a backplate on, or go whole 'ham and add a helmet and stuff.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
So excite!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

nesbit37 posted:

So excite!

Yikes that's gnarly.

*scrolls down a little, snorts at the mace feet*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

When people asked for better representation of the disabled in miniature games, I'm not sure this is what they had in mind.