Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Gerry casting Grasp of Darkness on a 4/5 lol

Then his opponent paid three mana for a 3/2 flier, 3/2 flier and 3/4, so it didn't end up mattering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
The finals are off to an auspicious start.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Legion is going to sell a lot of these sleeves thanks to GerryT.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Did WOTC make Gerry cover up his SCG shirt?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Did WOTC make Gerry cover up his SCG shirt?

No

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I did tweak the deck so I could play legacy and that helps. I just hate that I can't have my Sol Ring and Balance :mad:

I guess what i was getting at was back in the day, Ray of Command and Swords was a cool combo because you got to abuse someone's creature for a turn and then get the life from it. Now it seems like because they aren't designed to trigger 4 other effects that deal 4 damage to your opponent, let you discard your hand and drawn a new one and create 4x 1/1 token creatures are actually are actually 4/4 because of another triggered effect, it isn't effective.

I feel like I'm trying to play checkers and everyone else is playing chess. And it feels that way because that is basically what is actually happening.

E: And I'm not complaining about it, just observing and trying to figure things out as I go.
This is going to blow your mind, but there was an entire set of articles and such about Ray of Command back in the day that has lingering effects on M:tG even today.

Ray of Command is an instant. The common play with the card in a control shell (or in draft formats) is to steal your opponent's creature during their turn and then block another creature they're attacking with. Best case scenario, you wipe out two creatures of theirs for one card.

We call these types of cards "Threaten" effects now, due to the Onslaught card Threaten that took the exact same template of what Ray of Command was doing and colorshifted it to Red. The mechanics of temporary insanity, stealing a creature for a short period of time, are now purely Red's domain, and almost every set has some flavor of Threaten. However, most of these effects (Threaten, Limits of Solidarity, Wrangle, Hijack, Act of Treason) are considered bad because the card is now sorcery speed, preventing that sweet, sweet limited 2 for 1 blowout. The instant speed versions such as Turn Against, Act of Aggression, Word of Seizing, etc. are still printed from time to time, and are picked higher in draft due to the possibility for these blowouts.

That being said, you can totally make temporary insanity cards work to your advantage in limited, even at sorcery speed. Aether Revolt limited had Wrange/Hijack as well as Defiant Salvager, which would allow you to steal your opponent's creatures or artifacts and turn them into +1/+1 counters on your salvager.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
lol, yuuya is going to win 3 straight isn't he.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

lol, yuuya is going to win 3 straight isn't he.

Yep, being stuck on 2 lands 2 games in a row is not great.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Grab the Reins is one of the best Ray of Command variants.

Next to Spinal Embrace, maybe.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Zombies is going to win the pro tour.

gently caress all the haters.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Yuuya loses the pro tour to not killing a crypt breaker

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The zombies deck looks fun.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Sickening posted:

Zombies is going to win the pro tour.

gently caress all the haters.

I'm okay with this.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

uPen posted:

The zombies deck looks fun.

It looks like it can be hated out by marvel playing sweltering suns in the sideboard, tbh

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
:smug: Can't wait to beat the piss out of this Zombie deck at FNM for the next month with TurboFog :smug:

edit: i also have like 12 diregraf colossus please let them spike to $15.00

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

:smug: Can't wait to beat the piss out of this Zombie deck at FNM for the next month with TurboFog :smug:

How much is your TurboFog list if I have literally no cards? I'm toying with the idea of going to troll FNM.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Some Numbers posted:

How much is your TurboFog list if I have literally no cards? I'm toying with the idea of going to troll FNM.

Very cheap.....your most expensive cards are the 5-8 dollar lands

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I want a Spore Frog reprint so I can play TurboFrog

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

List?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Should have killed that Crypt Breaker while Gerry was manascrewed.

I'm glad that a deck with AKH cards won. Also that it wasn't Marvel.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/pro-tour-amonkhet

Going by constructed wins, it looks like Mardu is still fine. Every GB list that put up any results had winding constrictor in it. This crazy deck went 6-4.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm bummed out that a WU flash deck didn't get enough wins. I wanted to see some decklists, but alas.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

ThePeavstenator posted:

Seriously, gently caress Marvel and gently caress WotC for thinking that grindy value bullshit is preferable to a real control deck existing.

e:

Sorry, anything with reactive answers in the form of counterspells and/or removal should be referred to as the dreaded "draw-go control" prison deck.

U/R could certainly emerge as the fourth deck in the format, it wouldn't surprise me one bit. I think with the rise of zombies Jeskai control might be a thing, with Magma Spray, Cast Out and Fumigate, radiant flames, etc.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

This deck went 8-1-1 and 7-3 and is 105 tickets online, so it'll probably be getting a poo poo ton of results on MTGO in the coming weeks:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/645134#online

Marketing New Brain posted:

U/R could certainly emerge as the fourth deck in the format, it wouldn't surprise me one bit. I think with the rise of zombies Jeskai control might be a thing, with Magma Spray, Cast Out and Fumigate, radiant flames, etc.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/645127#online

This sick deck went 8-1-1, with the only win conditions being 4 Torrential Gearhulk and 4 Wandering Fumerole.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 14, 2017

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
It looks like we're shaping up to have a tier one with zombies, marvel, and mardu (it didn't crack the top eight but it was all over the place and got a lot of constructed wins) and a tier two with GB constrictor (energy or delirium package), URx gearhulk control, and possibly temur midrange or UR emerge. Aside from the Ulamog slot machine problem it seems like a pretty fun format.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

This standard format seems like it would be much more fun without BFZ block. Next rotation kills BFZ and SOI at the same time, right?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hellsau posted:

This standard format seems like it would be much more fun without BFZ block. Next rotation kills BFZ and SOI at the same time, right?

Yes

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Hellsau posted:

So next rotation kills zombie, remove half of BG delirium cards, remove Gideon from mardu and Ulamog from Marvel.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'd love to get into zombies but I'm not dropping $80 on a playset of cards that's going to dive in six months. I'm also really hesitant to pay $35 for Liliana, the Last Hope while she's still in Standard.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Hellsau posted:

This deck went 8-1-1 and 7-3 and is 105 tickets online, so it'll probably be getting a poo poo ton of results on MTGO in the coming weeks:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/645134#online

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/645127#online

This sick deck went 8-1-1, with the only win conditions being 4 Torrential Gearhulk and 4 Wandering Fumerole.

Just the variations within Temur Marvel decks are absurd, the temur energy shell is definitely the most diverse in terms of playable cards in standard, and somewhere in there, or splashing white, is the best deck, if anyone can figure it out. Cat Combo would have ground every deck in this format to dust. That deck has a plan B good enough to 5-0.

I don't think I'll play zombies anytime soon because the cards all spiked and I took an extended break from MTGO until Kaladesh so I don't have a lot of the deck, but I like this standard format with Cat gone, I think it has a reasonably competitive deck for just about any type of player, and some good budget options.

Star Man posted:

I'd love to get into zombies but I'm not dropping $80 on a playset of cards that's going to dive in six months. I'm also really hesitant to pay $35 for Liliana, the Last Hope while she's still in Standard.

Of all the cards in standard right now, Liliana is the one I'm most sure is going to steadily tick up in value post rotation. Both 3 mana Lilianas are insane and are going to be modern staples for the foreseeable future.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 14, 2017

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Oh, wow, Relentless Dead shot up.

Buying a playset for $8 each like a year ago is finally payin' off :v:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Soul Glo posted:

Maro is loving hard to listen to.

This remains one of the better Mark Rosewater things, and it doesn't involve Mark Rosewater.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Maro's douchy voice and personality cuts through everything like a knife. Ugh.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Boxman posted:

This remains one of the better Mark Rosewater things, and it doesn't involve Mark Rosewater.

Holy poo poo Mark Rosewater actually has a good opinion about something. :stare:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Sestze posted:

This is going to blow your mind, but there was an entire set of articles and such about Ray of Command back in the day that has lingering effects on M:tG even today.

No, poo poo. Link?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Sickening posted:

That is very hard to believe. How can one of largest cities int he united states have so little modern support?

there's lots of modern all over chicago. just not on Fridays

also the constructed scene in chicago itself isn't great. It's all out in the burbs, which is consistent with the metro areas I've lived in

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

We got out of oppressive terrible Standard via bans and emergency bans just in time for Lame Duck Standard where no one wants to invest because their cards will be worthless in a few short months.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Willeh posted:

Maro's douchy voice and personality cuts through everything like a knife. Ugh.

there are many words to describe Maro's voice but douchey is def not one of them

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

I am also very interested in cheap trolling decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Mark Rosewater is a funny small man with a weird voice.

He is also pretty drat good at game design, and is blamed for a lot of things that people should actually be shouting at Aaron Forsythe or Chris Cocks for.