Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I mean, the best part of Berserk imo is the golden age where all of this back story happens, but to give you the short version

Griffith rolled around with the band of the hawk, picked up Casca, she loved him
Guts is a beast and merits Griffith's eye, Guts gets jumped into the squad, Casca doesn't like that Griffith actually cares about Guts
bunch of stuff happens, Guts and Casca get together, it owns
Griffith rapes her brains out with Satan power
Guts goes berserk!!!

GA is definitely not the best part of Berserk imo but also it's a fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Well, that description sounds rad as hell. Anywhere I can (legally) read it? Crunchyroll doesn't have it. I'd probably be willing to spend like 5bux a month to read some manga if there are any subscription sites out there.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

P.S. I've never even heard of Berserk until this anime.

Those bullet points are about the gist of it, but I have to parrot everyone else - the manga is exquisitely drawn, and very compelling. I'm sure you'd like it if you like this anime.

It's so well drawn that sometimes the artist will just delay poo poo to get it right.
Or to play ... what was it, Love Live?
Either way it makes everything super high quality.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Well, that description sounds rad as hell. Anywhere I can (legally) read it? Crunchyroll doesn't have it. I'd probably be willing to spend like 5bux a month to read some manga if there are any subscription sites out there.

It's been published in paperback volumes, you can find it on amazon. Not sure if there are any legal sites that have digital version.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
this guy doesn't wana read the manga cuz it's gonna spoil the show :wtf:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

this guy doesn't wana read the manga cuz it's gonna spoil the show :wtf:

No, I don't wanna google "Casca" because odds are I'd spoil the hell out of myself. I googled a minor character once and ruined myself.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Arrgytehpirate posted:

No, I don't wanna google "Casca" because odds are I'd spoil the hell out of myself. I googled a minor character once and ruined myself.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I just watched an episode of the new season, and I gotta echo what everyone else has said, that having better camera work and just improved direction all around is making this a lot better. Not close to ideal yet of course, and the CGI is always going to be bad, but at least it's getting about as good as it can be with what it has.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Arrgytehpirate posted:

P.S. I've never even heard of Berserk until this anime.

Okay, so, to recap:

There's the manga. It's about 300 odd chapters long. It's REAL GOOD.

Then there's the 1998 anime series. It covers the Golden Age arc of the manga, which is around the first 100 or so chapters but really it's a 70 chapter long flashback explaining what's going on. It's bad in different ways than the current CGI show, but a lot of people liked it regardless. Cut some of the plot out but kept all the key scenes, so it's an incomplete retelling with a cliffhanger ending.

There's a couple of video games, one on the Dreamcast with an original story, it's bad, the other on the PS2 covering most of the events up to where the current anime is going, which for a long time was the only animated version of those events. Also looks and sounds better than the current anime despite being on the PS2, if you wanna know just how low standards are for this adaptation.

Then there were the three movies, retelling the Golden Age arc again only with a much improved budget and more merciless cutting, to the point where entire episodes of the '98 anime are skipped. I happen to like these movies for being so brisk, with good editing and music and direction and poo poo, it's a good way to catch up on everything without rereading like 70 odd manga chapters, but a lot of people don't like them because the CGI is bad and some of the cuts are fan favourite bits, including one that got a shout out in the newest manga chapter.

Next came the current anime. I watched like seven or eight episodes and just checked out completely. Bad direction, bad pacing, terrible editing, horrendous sound design, awful music, no sense of tone or weight or drama, quite possibly the only way to make Berserk 2016 worse is to do it on purpose.

There's also the Berserk Warriors game which I'm still waiting for a sale to pick up but the only reason I'm gonna is cause I'm a sucker for warriors games.

So, that's the '98 anime and the 2010 movies that both cover the Golden Age arc, a bunch of video games that look and sound better than the new anime, and the new 2016 anime. All of them, whether small or large, cut content from the manga.

Like, entire arcs have been skipped over, like the Black Swordsman arc hasn't been fully adapted yet, Lost Children hasn't even been acknowledged yet, and while I'm not watching the new anime I'm pretty sure there are several parts of the Troll arc that will be getting the axe, plus tons of other stuff I'm forgetting.

Which means that, if you want the complete Berserk experience, you should read the manga. It's REAL GOOD. All the anime and game adaptations lose something in the process, and while some of them keep the same tone as the original, none of them match it.

EDIT:

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Should I know who the silver hair guy is? He seems like a big deal but there is literally zero context on who/what he is besides "Griffith" Is he like a big bad back from the dead or their friend or....?

Oh. Uh. Watch the 2010 movies. It'll take an afternoon and catch you up on everything you need to know. After that you can decide if you want more.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 14, 2017

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
read it "illegally"

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I feel there should be an anime thread because reading about someone who has only seen berserk '16-'17 while I'm waiting for new chapters is an unbearable development.

If this freakshow doesn't bother you, watch the movies. They are at least pretty in parts.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The 90's anime at least tells a coherent story unlike the movies. And has much better music.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Happy Mother's Day Shisu

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

The 90's anime at least tells a coherent story unlike the movies. And has much better music.

As someone who is watching the blurays, I agree. There may not be a lot of animation but the paintings are pretty, the pacing is good, and the story is more intact.

But for a guy who has only seen '16/'17 the movies are clearly fine.

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DamnGlitch posted:

I have a buddy who was over yesterday who was like "You and 'roommate' are the only ones telling me the new berserk is trash, all my other anime friends are going nuts about it" :gonk:

Yeah? Well, I have An Oscillating UltraViolet Spectrum Lamp which scans my furniture at a random orbit, and can detect any foreign substances on my balsawood ikea furnishings and die-cast plamo-tachi..On the right nightstand with my ink ribbon, beretta, and well-manicured green medicinal herb is where I keep the lamp. Second visits, few... :page3:

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
saem

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think the thing to make clear to newcomers is how the timeline works. The manga starts off with Guts fighting demons and being a crazy loner antihero. Then it shifts back to the Golden Age where we find out about Gut's past and it's mostly normal horrifying medieval mercenary stuff. Magic stuff ramps up gradually until the end where we find out why Guts is like he is in the 1st issue. That marks the end of the Golden Age. Eventually post Golden Age catches up and continues past where we were in the first Arc.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Isn't Ganishka dead?

The old dude who built the incubator isn't.
And I'm not complaining. I just think all the Griffith hate might end up disappointed.

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

7c Nickel posted:

I think the thing to make clear to newcomers is how the timeline works. The manga starts off with Guts fighting demons and being a crazy loner antihero. Then it shifts back to the Golden Age where we find out about Gut's past and it's mostly normal horrifying medieval mercenary stuff. Magic stuff ramps up gradually until the end where we find out why Guts is like he is in the 1st issue. That marks the end of the Golden Age. Eventually post Golden Age catches up and continues past where we were in the first Arc.

Volume 1 insinuates Guts had made a mistake in the fifth dimension and jumped four queens in 12-D chess, then got trapped in a wall/floor, and the judges were out, so he was given his queen and subjected to a do-over. Like a New Game+. This volume was printed back when David Bowie still had cool hair on his skull.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I think my favorite early initial reaction to Berserk is this Tumblr post I can't find right now of this girl's posts about watching the 97 anime, and it goes something like,

"11:40pm: Time to watch the last 3?episodes of Berserk and maybe I'll finally find out why my friends keep telling me to stop shipping Guts and Griffith. Yeah right like that'll happen :V"

"1:20am: OH MY GOD NO GRIFFITH WHAT DID YOU DO NOO I TAKE IT ALLL BACK I TAKE IT BACK NOOOO"

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Metal Pink Babble posted:

Yeah? Well, I have An Oscillating UltraViolet Spectrum Lamp which scans my furniture at a random orbit, and can detect any foreign substances on my balsawood ikea furnishings and die-cast plamo-tachi..On the right nightstand with my ink ribbon, beretta, and well-manicured green medicinal herb is where I keep the lamp. Second visits, few... :page3:

???

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Arrgytehpirate posted:

As a non-manga reader in general I'd def recommend you check it out if you can get your hands on it for a reasonable price. I've only liked 3 comic book series as an adult, with Berserk being the only japanese one. It's just that good.

Anyway, is the general consensus that the new series is still garbage? I gave up 3 or 4 episodes into the first season because it looked terrible and some of the camera work was making me mildly nauseous which has never happened outside of 3D movies.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Like someone said in the thread real recently. Berserk 2017 recently has been the best it possibly can be for what it is, but what it is means that it caps out at like 4 out of 10 instead of being able to go up to 10 out of 10

That said, of the anime I've watched from this season, the only one I've dropped has much better pedigree and animation than Berserk 2017 and manages to be worse for other reasons

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

read it "illegally"

n-no!!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

he just meant while jaywalking don't worry

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I've reached the Conviction Arc on my latest read through and every time I go through this dumb series I dislike the Golden Age more and more and like Conviction more each time. The arc with the Count is still my favorite for no particular reason, however.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Funny the way re-reads makes one come around to having Good Opinions

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd probably roll with
1. Millennium Falcon
2. Conviction (Lost Children included here)
3. Golden Age
4. Fantasia, but it's unfinished so it's not especially fair to say. Pimp slapping Griffith and Elfhelm end of it has been better than the Pirate stuff by a long way.
5. Black Swordsman. It's almost not the same manga though, in fairness.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
Black Swordsman gave us the DC game, top 3 for me.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

its in quotes u cant do anything.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Rating arcs is worse than defending Griffith.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I love all of Berserk.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

._.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

mabels big day posted:

I love all of Berserk.

Tell me why

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

With your favorite arcs all in a numbered list

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

https://youtu.be/I2rV8oKWSdM

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

scary ghost dog posted:

Welcome to Trump's America.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I think my favorite early initial reaction to Berserk is this Tumblr post I can't find right now of this girl's posts about watching the 97 anime, and it goes something like,

"11:40pm: Time to watch the last 3?episodes of Berserk and maybe I'll finally find out why my friends keep telling me to stop shipping Guts and Griffith. Yeah right like that'll happen :V"

"1:20am: OH MY GOD NO GRIFFITH WHAT DID YOU DO NOO I TAKE IT ALLL BACK I TAKE IT BACK NOOOO"

That hasn't stopped anyone, unfortunately...

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Guys, I'm feeling kind of weird and out of it so I gotta ask - if the planets aligned to make it perfect, like legitimately good, how the hell would you go about making a live action Berserk movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
"Incorrectly"?