Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

The config file editing going on here is sickening and heartbreaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

trucutru posted:

BTW, they have an updated version of our favorite graph

Unlike a lot of these games which were able to throw everything out and restart development (TF2, Diablo, Fallout, Prey...) Star Citizen has already presold the game, ships and stretch goals to people. They can't shelve the game and move on to something else in the mean time, wait for technology to catch up, or drastically reimagine and refocus the gameplay.They have 150 million dollars worth of promises to keep. Never mind the fact that even if they did try to, they wouldn't have the money to completely start over +5 years into development. Every game on this list belonged to studios with other properties to keep them afloat during development, or were sold off to other studios and publishers to be finishes.

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 14, 2017

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Okay gang, so what would be the realistic ramifications if the whole thing just immediately shut down this weekend? No more development work, no more art assets, no more ship sales, no more refunds, nothing. Just done? I remember years ago we were talking jail time, but I mean, bankruptcy protection laws might be pretty lenient in at least one of the nations they do business in? Asking for a friend.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Lately the dreamin' has been kinda low key. Forget being a space flight attendant or a space janitor, let's keep it real

:smith:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

CubicalSucrose posted:

Okay gang, so what would be the realistic ramifications if the whole thing just immediately shut down this weekend? No more development work, no more art assets, no more ship sales, no more refunds, nothing. Just done? I remember years ago we were talking jail time, but I mean, bankruptcy protection laws might be pretty lenient in at least one of the nations they do business in? Asking for a friend.

thread would be good for weeks

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Daztek posted:

thread would be good for weeks

I think they owe it to the thread to immediately suspend business operations for great justice.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Because of this thread I keep getting SC livestreams popping up on my youtube.

I watched 2 mins of one earlier, and honestly it was just the saddest thing. Two guys in one of the big ships were floating around in space asking each other in the chat what they should do, and if there were any any enemies around or missions they could do or anything.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

DEEDEE-101 on reddit posted:

There are many people outside of the cultist follower group that want the marketing and community management leads not only on vacation but gone. i personally have given up mentioning that anywhere public because you are just granted a million downvotes and angry replies.
The problem has been with the people that make those decisions continuously as much as with the people who fail to communicate them in any acceptable manner for a 150mil Project
  • Ben is absolutely bad at this. Statements so vague they inject more anger than silence would and who seems more obsessed about gathering dusty wing commander swag than getting the facts on his own ships (director of ship production) straight.
  • Disco who outright trolls the community and degrades interactions into a kids show and a series of cheesy references to make stuff look funny, while its a serious topic with millions behind it at times.
  • And Sandy who just looks like she wants to stay VP of marketing to say shes VP of marketing... seriously i have seldomly seen such obvious disinterrest in ones own Project.
let the downvote commence

:lesnick: Star Citizen: Outright trolling the backers :sandance:

The tides have turned a bit though as the post got quite a lot of positive attention.

CubicalSucrose posted:

I think OldSchoolCommando explored that the most accurately:

OldSchoolCmdr posted:

Anyway, I don't believe that they have any legal liability from "false advertising".
This also applies to the game features. It is commonly accepted that game development is fluid, things change over time etc. So if they promised "Feature A", and don't do it, they are well within their legal rights. Even though they promised "Feature A" in crowd-funding, they are not on the liability hook for failure to deliver it because they made it clear in the campaign and in all their TOS revisions, that things are subject to change at any time, and that they offered no guarantee of performance. They are well protected in this regard.

Your recourse for not getting "Feature A" as promised, is to ask for your money back. If you don't get it, then you have a legal claim. This part is where I don't think most backers understand that CIG can fail to deliver on every promise they made, release 3.0 as the MVP, and either shutdown or not do anything new, except maybe bug patches. They would be 100% in their right to do that. The only recourse backers would have, is to ask for a refund.
The flipside is that any backer 1) upset enough to not feel happy about a refund (regardless of the amount) they got, or 2) not get a refund, can take legal action which may lead to legal problems for CIG if there is any malfeasance involved in how backer money was spent. And it won't have anything to do with the games, their failure to deliver, state of delivery etc.

Every legal liability that CIG has, leads back to the money. Everything related to the condition in which the games are released, is not legally actionable. If they hadn't taken money through crowd-funding, that would have been different. In that case, they would be dealing with either loss of their own money, or loss of investor money. Even so, it still doesn't mean that some gamers couldn't sue them for "false advertising" if they claimed one thing, but the game delivered another, as we've seen in some of those videogame cases.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

CubicalSucrose posted:

If in bankruptcy, I'd expect proceedings against the insiders for payments made to them in the last several years as well as an action against the insurers for the D&O policy assuming one exists. At best, I'd think no more than 5 cents on the dollar back to backers. Probably less. Short answer, everyone gets hosed except the lawyers.

In One Ear
Apr 25, 2017

MinorInconvenience posted:

...everyone gets hosed except the lawyers.

I think that's the motto of legal proceedings the world over

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
CR will not go out without a blog post explaining how it was the backers that failed HIM. Most of hardcore fans will fall for it, but pass the blame on to the casuals / leavers / complainers who "didn't understand game development"

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Nellistos posted:

Star Citizen: CCU in the Verse

Star Citizen: CCU in the Purse

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet wagon this one of yours? It's a real beauty

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Is there such a thing as Sci-fi/Body-Horror/Comedy? If not, SC would be the defining example.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Beet wagon this one of yours? It's a real beauty

No, i_will_kill_u is one of Derek's seven alts.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Every new week is getting us closer to the 3.0 update, that huge milestone for our favorite game that will change Star Citizen forever. We also get amazing new info from the developers regarding their progress on not only the Planetary tech but every other feature that will affect this project and help turn it into something else, something more than a game, a living, breathing universe. The planetary tech, that will make its debut in Star Citizen with the 3.0 patch, is very important but not the only feature that will have an impact on the success of Star Citizen. Every little detail, every little feature counts, from the planetary landings and the first set of professions in game to the improved AI, improved mission system and of course the Player Interaction System.

The player interaction system is the feature that will allow us, allow our characters to interact with every object, item and weapon in the universe, in a way we have never seen before not only in Star Citizen but in other titles as well. In reality it is the evolution of the Item 2.0 system, an improved version that will give us total freedom to interact with everything in the Verse and perform various complex actions. With this new system it will be easier to approach an item and choose from many different options the action that we want to perform, very different from what we have right now, which is a single action tied to every interactable item. Instead of one only action we will now have many different options popping up in order to choose the one we want, the one that will help us achieve our goals faster.

With the help of the player interaction system it will be possible to interact with our weapons, attach or detach components from them directly, altering their functionality like this on the go. Something that until now, in other titles, we would have to do through a menu, going to our inventory, picking the weapon or item we want to interact and select the actions we want to perform. It will not affect only items though, the same system will give us much better control over our ships in the verse. We could interact with and control every little screen, every little button inside our cockpit and perform the appropriate action with it. It is a system that gives us absolute control and freedom, that definitely adds immersion to the game. Like this you can control every little aspect of your vessel, feeling like a true pilot in space performing all the necessary actions to take off and start your adventure one by one. I would dare describe this system as revolutionary despite how easy it looks, how easy is to understand how it works.

The way this player interaction system works is very simple actually. It takes into consideration what and how many interactable items are around the player and allow him to interact with them in many different ways, depending on their functionality and purpose. All you need to do is to get closer to these items, press and hold "F" by default, something that will get you into the player interaction mode. Then a cursor will appear, a cursor that you can use in order to interact with the different items in front of you and choose from a number of different options. Such a simple feature that creates so many opportunities for the player. There are of course some concerns regarding how fast this system will be, how easy it will be to use it when you will have to react fast, in a matter of life and death for example. Thankfully the developers have assured us that hotkeys will continue working along with the player interaction system, making it easier to perform certain actions when we need to act super fast, when dog-fighting for example.

In my opinion the player interaction system adds certain adventure elements to Star Citizen transforming it into something more than a simple FPS game in space. It will always be an FPS but with a lot more depth from now on regarding player interactions. The control over everything in the verse and the freedom to perform any possible action is unprecedented and a required step towards a living universe. It will also affect our future in the game as well. With the freedom to grab every item, interact with it and place it in any way we like, this player interaction system could also be a great way to decorate our own outposts, homes even, in the future if and when CIG will give us the option to own or even build one.

One of the best things of participating in the development of Star Citizen is that we get to witness how features like the player interaction system are born and how they evolve over time. From the simple "USE" system we had before for interacting with items, to the Item 2.0 we have right now that is much smoother and better to use, to the player interaction system in the future that will give us absolute control over our environment and the freedom to perform every action we want in the Verse.

Read more
Video here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAPeTVjRkSg

In One Ear
Apr 25, 2017

The times they are a changing...when that username survives the front page :allears:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

In One Ear posted:

The times they are a changing...when that username survives the front page :allears:

Welcome commando, to this pre-wake to Star Citizen's funeral

please share your Star Citizen experience, if you feel comfortable doing so

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

trucutru posted:

one of Derek's seven alts.

6. And I saw when Derek registered one of the alts, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four goons saying, Come and see.

2 And I saw, and behold a white spaceship: and he that sat in it had a gimmick; and an account was given unto him: and he went forth trolling, and to troll.

3 And when he had registered the second alt, I heard the second goon say, Come and see.

4 And there went out another spaceship that was red: and power was given to him that sat therein to take peace from the subreddit, and that they should troll one another: and there was given unto him a great blog.

5 And when he had registered the third alt, I heard the third goon say, Come and see. And I beheld, and lo a black spaceship; and he that sat in it had a pair of jpegs in his hand.

6 And I heard a voice in the midst of the four goons say, A measure of pixels for a benjamin, and three measures of fidelity for a benjamin; and see thou hurt not the bugs and the lag.

7 And when he had registered the fourth alt, I heard the voice of the fourth goon say, Come and see.

8 And I looked, and behold a pale spaceship: and his name that sat in him was E.L.E., and Jail Time followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the subreddit, to troll with fear, and with uncertainty, and with doubt, and with the goons of the forums.

9 And when he had registered the fifth alt, I saw under his post the accounts of them that were banned for the word of Derek, and for the testimony which they held:

10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our banning on them that dwell in the subreddit?

11 And discord accounts were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for two weeks, until their fellow goons also and their brethren, that should be banned as they were, should be fulfilled.

12 And I beheld when he had registered the sixth alt, and lo, there was a great server crash; and the sun became as black as a sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;

13 And the stars of heaven clipped through the earth, even as a space ship casteth its untimely passengers, when it is shaken of a mighty bug.

14 And the skybox departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every model and texture were moved out of their places.

15 And the mods of the subreddit, and the great whales, and the rich whales, and the unpaid shills, and the internet tough guys, and every streamer, and every pubbie, hid themselves in their dens and in the basements of their mothers;

16 And said to the ceilings and the roofs, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of Derek:

17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to shill?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

trucutru posted:

Lately the dreamin' has been kinda low key. Forget being a space flight attendant or a space janitor, let's keep it real

:smith:

My dream game involves waiting in line in a space cafeteria to be served my space bologna and space peas.

In the future.

In space.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Looks like OSC is back, but in a different Reddit

Star Citizen - Let's Talk Financial Accountability

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

This is like when they put happy music on the trailer for The Shining

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

thatguy posted:

This is extremely my poo poo.

Watch this video.

Holy poo poo lmao

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Various Meat Products posted:

My dream game involves waiting in line in a space cafeteria to be served my space bologna and space peas.

In the future.

In space.

I could go for a game that allows you to act out Eddie Izzard's Geoff Vader routine.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

D_Smart posted:

Yeah sure Derek.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sandweed posted:

Yeah sure Derek.

:grin:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

D_Smart posted:

as if millions of scrollwheels suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

CubicalSucrose posted:

The more unhinged fans would probably try to murder the more visible players involved, and Bunnyman would get a new plastic tub marked 'Sandi Parts'.

A few die-hards would probably actually toe the line of 'this project failed because we failed it/Derek Smart successfully sabotaged it by saying mean words somehow'.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
My scrollwheel on my mouse actually broke and i blame derek

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Foo Diddley posted:

The Four Horsemen of the Parpocalypse

:perfect:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

this is fantastic

for fans of BODY HORROR

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
it's like he stopped trying to pretend he's not osc.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

starkebn posted:

OldSchoolCmdr is giving them an education they're not willing to take, how long until he is shadow banned?

:smuggo:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Foo Diddley posted:

6. And I saw when Derek registered one of the alts, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four goons saying, Come and see.

This is a great post. The best.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Tarquinn posted:

That's what I like about this Star Citizens man, I get older, it's development stays the same age.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Now I need to hunt out the Eurovision thread and see what I've missed this year.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

2 And I saw, and behold a white spaceship: and he that sat in it had a gimmick; and an account was given unto him: and he went forth trolling, and to troll.

3 And when he had registered the second alt, I heard the second goon say, Come and see.

4 And there went out another spaceship that was red: and power was given to him that sat therein to take peace from the subreddit, and that they should troll one another: and there was given unto him a great blog.

5 And when he had registered the third alt, I heard the third goon say, Come and see. And I beheld, and lo a black spaceship; and he that sat in it had a pair of jpegs in his hand.

6 And I heard a voice in the midst of the four goons say, A measure of pixels for a benjamin, and three measures of fidelity for a benjamin; and see thou hurt not the bugs and the lag.

7 And when he had registered the fourth alt, I heard the voice of the fourth goon say, Come and see.

8 And I looked, and behold a pale spaceship: and his name that sat in him was E.L.E., and Jail Time followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the subreddit, to troll with fear, and with uncertainty, and with doubt, and with the goons of the forums.

9 And when he had registered the fifth alt, I saw under his post the accounts of them that were banned for the word of Derek, and for the testimony which they held:

10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our banning on them that dwell in the subreddit?

11 And discord accounts were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for two weeks, until their fellow goons also and their brethren, that should be banned as they were, should be fulfilled.

12 And I beheld when he had registered the sixth alt, and lo, there was a great server crash; and the sun became as black as a sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;

13 And the stars of heaven clipped through the earth, even as a space ship casteth its untimely passengers, when it is shaken of a mighty bug.

14 And the skybox departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every model and texture were moved out of their places.

15 And the mods of the subreddit, and the great whales, and the rich whales, and the unpaid shills, and the internet tough guys, and every streamer, and every pubbie, hid themselves in their dens and in the basements of their mothers;

16 And said to the ceilings and the roofs, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of Derek:

17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to shill?

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Every new week is getting us closer to the 3.0 update, that huge milestone for our favorite game that will change Star Citizen forever. We also get amazing new info from the developers regarding their progress on not only the Planetary tech but every other feature that will affect this project and help turn it into something else, something more than a game, a living, breathing universe. The planetary tech, that will make its debut in Star Citizen with the 3.0 patch, is very important but not the only feature that will have an impact on the success of Star Citizen. Every little detail, every little feature counts, from the planetary landings and the first set of professions in game to the improved AI, improved mission system and of course the Player Interaction System.

The player interaction system is the feature that will allow us, allow our characters to interact with every object, item and weapon in the universe, in a way we have never seen before not only in Star Citizen but in other titles as well. In reality it is the evolution of the Item 2.0 system, an improved version that will give us total freedom to interact with everything in the Verse and perform various complex actions. With this new system it will be easier to approach an item and choose from many different options the action that we want to perform, very different from what we have right now, which is a single action tied to every interactable item. Instead of one only action we will now have many different options popping up in order to choose the one we want, the one that will help us achieve our goals faster.

With the help of the player interaction system it will be possible to interact with our weapons, attach or detach components from them directly, altering their functionality like this on the go. Something that until now, in other titles, we would have to do through a menu, going to our inventory, picking the weapon or item we want to interact and select the actions we want to perform. It will not affect only items though, the same system will give us much better control over our ships in the verse. We could interact with and control every little screen, every little button inside our cockpit and perform the appropriate action with it. It is a system that gives us absolute control and freedom, that definitely adds immersion to the game. Like this you can control every little aspect of your vessel, feeling like a true pilot in space performing all the necessary actions to take off and start your adventure one by one. I would dare describe this system as revolutionary despite how easy it looks, how easy is to understand how it works.

The way this player interaction system works is very simple actually. It takes into consideration what and how many interactable items are around the player and allow him to interact with them in many different ways, depending on their functionality and purpose. All you need to do is to get closer to these items, press and hold "F" by default, something that will get you into the player interaction mode. Then a cursor will appear, a cursor that you can use in order to interact with the different items in front of you and choose from a number of different options. Such a simple feature that creates so many opportunities for the player. There are of course some concerns regarding how fast this system will be, how easy it will be to use it when you will have to react fast, in a matter of life and death for example. Thankfully the developers have assured us that hotkeys will continue working along with the player interaction system, making it easier to perform certain actions when we need to act super fast, when dog-fighting for example.

In my opinion the player interaction system adds certain adventure elements to Star Citizen transforming it into something more than a simple FPS game in space. It will always be an FPS but with a lot more depth from now on regarding player interactions. The control over everything in the verse and the freedom to perform any possible action is unprecedented and a required step towards a living universe. It will also affect our future in the game as well. With the freedom to grab every item, interact with it and place it in any way we like, this player interaction system could also be a great way to decorate our own outposts, homes even, in the future if and when CIG will give us the option to own or even build one.

One of the best things of participating in the development of Star Citizen is that we get to witness how features like the player interaction system are born and how they evolve over time. From the simple "USE" system we had before for interacting with items, to the Item 2.0 we have right now that is much smoother and better to use, to the player interaction system in the future that will give us absolute control over our environment and the freedom to perform every action we want in the Verse.

Read more
Video here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAPeTVjRkSg

I honestly can't tell if this is just a true believer who has internalized CIG's lovely lingo, or a greenhorn from some cut-rate brand management firm.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Can someone explain to me what actual tangible impact the updated "use" system is supposed to have on the way that players interact with the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I've been out of the loop, what did :sandance: do?