Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Evil_Urna posted:

I was responding to a more interesting one but ok I guess you can get some attention too. So the people of Europe need to soak up the bullets, bombs, and tyres of Islam to pay reparations for "colonialism"? Is that what your saying? I legit am not understanding. By your logic, the Jewish people should bear the responsibility of Israeli governments actions in the middle east, regardless of their culpability.

Why do you keep using Jewish and Israeli as synonyms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Evil_Urna posted:

I was responding to a more interesting one but ok I guess you can get some attention too. So the people of Europe need to soak up the bullets, bombs, and tyres of Islam to pay reparations for "colonialism"? Is that what your saying? I legit am not understanding. By your logic, the Jewish people should bear the responsibility of Israeli governments actions in the middle east, regardless of their culpability.

We've struck the motherload, gents

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

Party Boat posted:

We introduced much stricter laws on handgun ownership following Dunblane. You Americans should look into it sometime.

Ban Assault semi trucks.

Also we have a constitution here. I know that over there you have no freedoms enshrined for you, but its pretty baller. You should check it out sometime.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The moment you find yourself yearning for pissflaps to start posting polls.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Or we could have a defence pact lead by the EU which isn't a front for US interests.

All of the Ukrainian bodies decomposing in ditches around Debaltsave must be thanking their lucky stars that they had the wise diplomatic influence and formidable economic clout of the EU invested in the Minsk accords to protect them.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Evil_Urna posted:

I'm saying that doubling down on authoritarianism, which is one of the main causes of terrorism won't solve it. You have to address the underlying causes. There's no way to do that while also being more authoritarian, so you would have to soak some casualties in the mean time, yes. It's a lovely situation, but it's one that the state has brought on itself. The Israeli people shouldn't bear that poo poo for the decisions that Israeli politicians make, but I haven't found a way to make sure terrorists only attack politicians instead of civilians yet.

This is in the same vein that every politician that votes for war should either send their family to fight it, or fight it themselves.

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Why do you keep using Jewish and Israeli as synonyms?

I am referring to the Jewish people, and the Israeli goverment. Just as I would not blame all brits (except for Corbyn) for Brexit, I would not blame all Jewish peoples for what goes on in the West Bank. Sorry if that came out clunky.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Evil_Urna posted:

Ban Assault semi trucks.

Also we have a constitution here. I know that over there you have no freedoms enshrined for you, but its pretty baller. You should check it out sometime.

Constitutions are great though yours makes slavery legal so it's a bad one.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Evil_Urna posted:

I am referring to the Jewish people, and the Israeli goverment. Just as I would not blame all brits (except for Corbyn) for Brexit, I would not blame all Jewish peoples for what goes on in the West Bank. Sorry if that came out clunky.

Then just say 'Israeli people', a lot of them aren't Jewish, and there's a ton of Jewish people who have nothing to do with Israel, ya dingus.

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Constitutions are great though yours makes slavery legal so it's a bad one.

Where exactly in the American Constitution is slavery made legal?

In fact it says this:

quote:

AMENDMENT XIII

Section 1.
Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2.
Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

quote:

AMENDMENT XIII

Section 1.
Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2.
Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation

Here, I helped you out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Except as punishment for crime"

Which is to say you just have to create a system whereby a whole bunch of helpfully ethnically distinct people are convicted of crimes and then you can use them as indentured labour for profit. Good thing that doesn't happen!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Good old american justice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHz2Hmq7soo

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Let's not forget all those wonderful non-violent drug offences like having less than a gram of pot on you, that put people in prison for decades thanks to three strike rules and targeted searches.

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004
Is a debt being paid to society for crimes. The criminal owes society for breaking the social contract. Prison labor, which is paid for the most part, is not only good for the prisoner as he is paying off his debt to society through work, it is edifying to the spirit and can make a man better. In exchange society gets low priced goods, and prisons can offset some state funding. Its a win win. Is it without abuse? Of course not, there is always abuse in any system like this. But a few shifty wardens do not condemn the entire bunch.

And if that was not in the constitution then we would not be able to even ask a prisoner to mop a floor or do any work around the prison as that would be considered forced labor and thus slavery.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

drat gotta repay that debt for doing a thing that's legal in several states.

True destroyers of society those potheads.

Gonna address that massive racial disparity in incarceration bucko? I've got even money on it being the inferiority of the black race or a lack of "personal responsibility"!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Haha holy poo poo dude, you're justifying slavery. If the prisoners want to mop a floor, they can, but forcing them is definitely slavery if not indentured servitude. Where is this social contract? Did I sign it? Did you? Can we opt out? Social Contract theories are a load of crap. And then even a 'work makes you a better person' argument. This is the most american paragraph I've ever read. I'm so blown away I'm not even sure where to begin with this other than mock you for being a horrible person?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Evil_Urna posted:

Prison labor, which is paid for the most part, is not only good for the prisoner as he is paying off his debt to society through work, it is edifying to the spirit and can make a man better.

This is high up on the list of the most disturbing poo poo I've ever read

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mmmm gotta read through some of that primo civil war poo poo and find me some bits about how slavery is edifying to the spirit of the enslaved and really the only way to civilize them.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

My favourite thing about america is that their political discourse is stuck somewhere in 17th century england for some reason. Really love their Locke over there.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Evil_Urna posted:

Ban Assault semi trucks.

You're the one that was insisting that something must be done for all these poor victims' families. I'm sure the families of the 5,441 people in the US who've​ died of gun violence so far in 2017 are comforted by their right to a well regulated militia.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Evil_Urna posted:

Prison labor, which is paid for the most part, is not only good for the prisoner as he is paying off his debt to society through work, it is edifying to the spirit and can make a man better.

This is literally the same argument that the Victorians used to justify workhouses. Also, while you're patting yourself on the back for paying inmates for their work, remember that their "wage" is less than a dollar per hour.

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

Miftan posted:

Haha holy poo poo dude, you're justifying slavery. If the prisoners want to mop a floor, they can, but forcing them is definitely slavery if not indentured servitude. Where is this social contract? Did I sign it? Did you? Can we opt out?

Two points here. Prisons being made to keep the prison tidy is a normal practice throughout the world. There is nothing wrong with that at all. Second, you signed the social contract when you were born, or conferred with citizenship. If you do not like the terms you are more then welcome to work to change the system, or to move to a place with laws that are more to your liking.

That second part is some legit sov cit poo poo.

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

remember that their "wage" is less than a dollar per hour.

Correct. If you want to make more money, you can do so in a proper job outside the prison. They are not too difficult to get if you are not in prison. My suggestion is not committing crimes.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Evil_Urna posted:

Correct. If you want to make more money, you can do so in a proper job outside the prison. They are not too difficult to get if you are not in prison. My suggestion is not committing crimes.

So you actually have no problem with slavery, as long as the slaves are black criminals.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Evil_Urna posted:

Second, you signed the social contract when you were born,
[...]

Pfffpffppffhahaahahahahaahaha

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

So you actually have no problem with slavery, as long as the slaves are black criminals.

Wow man. Not all blacks are criminals. That is a pretty lovely thing to say.

For the record, nearly 60% of American prisoners are non black.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Evil_Urna posted:

Two points here. Prisons being made to keep the prison tidy is a normal practice throughout the world. There is nothing wrong with that at all. Second, you signed the social contract when you were born, or conferred with citizenship. If you do not like the terms you are more then welcome to work to change the system, or to move to a place with laws that are more to your liking.

I'm not too familiar with prisons, I've only ever been court martial'd, but like I said before, forcing people to work while in prison is slavery. It's literally a workhouse.

To your second point, please tell me what country I can move to with my Israeli passport, I'd love to know. Or how to single handedly change the system. I also never signed a god drat thing. You're full of poo poo and you're talking from an incredibly privileged point of view that doesn't take into account a ton of factors that are present in people's lives.

Also love how you ignore all the points that you don't have answers to. A real pound shop pissflaps.

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Pfffpffppffhahaahahahahaahaha

That statement was two steps away from signing things in red ink and screaming at judges that you do not wish to enter joinder with them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Evil_Urna posted:

That statement was two steps away from signing things in red ink and screaming at judges that you do not wish to enter joinder with them.

You're the one talking about people signing contracts at birth buddy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Evil_Urna posted:

You really think that'll save you if you're the wrong colour?

That's before we get into the whole ghettoisation issue, where communities can become so impoverished and abandoned that some degree of criminal activity is necessary for survival. We've actually got a bit of that going on here thanks to welfare cuts.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Evil_Urna posted:

I never realised that 40% of the US population is black. There'd be no other way to explain why 40% of the prison population is black unless their numbers outside matched it, right? (blacks are less than 15% of the US population, so it's your choice whether the US incarcerates black people far more easily and for stupid reasons or if you think black people are more predisposed to crime)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Evil_Urna posted:

For a population that's 87% non-black, that's not a good thing. Why do you think black people are over-represented in the prison population?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Miftan posted:

A real pound shop pissflaps.

Dollar store, if he's American.

But yeah, there's no point arguing with this guy, on the ignore list he goes.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

You really think that'll save you if you're the wrong colour?

That's before we get into the whole ghettoisation issue, where communities can become so impoverished and abandoned that some degree of criminal activity is necessary for survival. We've actually got a bit of that going on here thanks to welfare cuts.

Don't forget wide-ranging and vaguely worded laws that criminalise most of the population, and are then selectively enforced on the minority group you wish to target.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

jabby posted:

Don't forget wide-ranging and vaguely worded laws that criminalise most of the population, and are then selectively enforced on the minority group you wish to target.

Christ, I thought we stopped with the Israel debate?

Julio Cruz posted:

Dollar store, if he's American.

But yeah, there's no point arguing with this guy, on the ignore list he goes.

Yeah, you're right about arguing with him. Might keep him off ignore purely for comedy value though.

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

Miftan posted:

To your second point, please tell me what country I can move to with my Israeli passport,

I would guess all of them with the exception of Algeria, Bangladesh, Brunei, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Oman, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Evil_Urna posted:

I would guess all of them with the exception of Algeria, Bangladesh, Brunei, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Oman, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen.

Cool, good to know I can just get residency anywhere without any problem, thanks for the tip.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Evil_Urna posted:

Wow man. Not all blacks are criminals. That is a pretty lovely thing to say

Between this and your yells of antisemitism it has to be said that your attempts at gotchas are pisspoor.

Boy is it always a hoot when another far right Goon finds the easiest trolled thread and proceeds to rehash the usual weak canards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

For a population that's 87% non-black, that's not a good thing. Why do you think black people are over-represented in the prison population?

Various socioeconomic and cultural factors. I never said that blacks did not get a raw deal in America from time to time. poo poo is not all roses and teacups here when it comes to the law. Things are getting better, just a little too slowly. Once we get of some of the more stupid drug laws it will fix a lot of our prison problems. But to be fair, if weed is illegal where you live, and you have already been in the system, maybe not break the law? Its always an option.

forkboy84 posted:

Boy is it always a hoot when another far right goon...

When did I say I was far right? I am pretty much solidly a centrist.

• Locked thread