Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Obviously Walt's adventures on the island took a turn for the worse despite Hurley's best efforts and 2% of the population has become unstuck in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Obviously Walt's adventures on the island took a turn for the worse despite Hurley's best efforts and 2% of the population has become unstuck in time.

October 14th retconned to be the day that Jack fought the Man in Black. When Desmond removed the plug from the Heart of the Island, the missing 2% were pulled through both space and time and "seeded" throughout different points in the Island's history. The cast of Growing Pains built the four-toed statue. Nora's husband was the man on the outrigger shot by Juliette.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

October 14th retconned to be the day that Jack fought the Man in Black. When Desmond removed the plug from the Heart of the Island, the missing 2% were pulled through both space and time and "seeded" throughout different points in the Island's history. The cast of Growing Pains built the four-toed statue. Nora's husband was the man on the outrigger shot by Juliette.

It all adds up.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

"Perfect Strangers" seems like an apt description of The Others.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Have you heard of Facebook?

Absolutely!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Leftovers owns. This thread owns.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

I've read some stuff about cosmic particles. They travel at nearly the speed of light, they're so tiny that they don't intersect with even densely packed matter, and the Earth's magnetic field deflects most of them. Given the measurable radiation being the only thing anyone knows about the Sudden Departure, and that Damon Lindelof is big on electromagnetic forces in his shows, I'm surprised the commonly accepted theory among survivors isn't that a super powerful cosmic ray collided with the Earth at just the right angle that everyone on the planet vibrating within a certain frequency range disintegrated on the spot - and therefore is dead rather than missing/taken/raptured/whatever. I'd leap to that way before I figured they're alive somewhere or were taken to [insert favorite religious afterlife].

That's just gibberish technobabble. There is no known natural phenomenon that could've caused the departure and that's the whole point. It's a bonafide, unambiguous miracle and the series is about how modern society would cope with something like this. It's the modern version of a sudden earthquake that buries your entire family in a cave.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The Leftovers is just a prequel to the new hit series LOST 2

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

sticklefifer posted:

I've read some stuff about cosmic particles. They travel at nearly the speed of light, they're so tiny that they don't intersect with even densely packed matter, and the Earth's magnetic field deflects most of them. Given the measurable radiation being the only thing anyone knows about the Sudden Departure, and that Damon Lindelof is big on electromagnetic forces in his shows, I'm surprised the commonly accepted theory among survivors isn't that a super powerful cosmic ray collided with the Earth at just the right angle that everyone on the planet vibrating within a certain frequency range disintegrated on the spot - and therefore is dead rather than missing/taken/raptured/whatever. I'd leap to that way before I figured they're alive somewhere or were taken to [insert favorite religious afterlife].

This is why its important that they took their clothes, accessories, and certain items they were holding with them but chunks of their surroundings did not go missing at the same time. To nature people are just collections of matter and energy, same as anything else in their surroundings. A natural phenomenon would not treat a person along their clothes etc. as a distinct entity the way, say, a video-game's programming might.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Fried Watermelon posted:

The Leftovers is just a prequel to the new hit series LOST 2

gently caress it, I'm in with this.

:munch:

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
My wife suggested that maybe Nora and the guy were rejected because they didn't give honest answers. The woman at the start was part of the test to see what the candidate would do if presented with a similar scenario without knowing it was part of it. Nora definitely wouldn't kill a baby, and that guy talked about the answer like he gave it because that was what he expected hin to say.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Emerson Cod posted:

My wife suggested that maybe Nora and the guy were rejected because they didn't give honest answers. The woman at the start was part of the test to see what the candidate would do if presented with a similar scenario without knowing it was part of it. Nora definitely wouldn't kill a baby, and that guy talked about the answer like he gave it because that was what he expected hin to say.

Killing a baby because you are late for a interview and killing a baby to stop cancer are two entirely different matters.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Her three real options were:
-Hang on to the baby and wait for the next post (downside: potentially miss the interview)
-Steal the baby to make the interview (downside: you stole someone's baby)
-Leave the baby with the mother (downside: the mother tried to avoid this and will potentially not get hired)

I don't think it's analogous to the cancer question at all. Three choices instead of binary, non-lethal stakes, outcomes are contained to the participants instead of helping/dooming a larger group.

The scenario was definitely written to be consonant with the cancer question, what with both being Moral Baby Conundrums, but the "your answers didn't match" theory doesn't work because there's no such thing as a matching answer between the questions.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I doubt their telling Nora she doesn't qualify is actually the end of the qualification process. For the other guy, he was the one who made it the end of his life and thus also the qualification process.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

It's almost time. HBO Sunday night makes the end of the weekend not so bad.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Why is everyone freaking out about this year's anniversary anyway? Is it just that 7 is auspicious?

e: :catstare:

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 15, 2017

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

A new transmission from Rousseau?

E: Lindelof loves submarines

E2: and priests on planes

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 15, 2017

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

A panda goes into what??

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
"I asked Abraham to kill Isaac, just to see if he'd do it"

Sounds legit. :colbert:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

:catstare:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Loved that rando jerk off when Matt ran to the bathroom.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

:confuoot:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
loving Matt episodes never fail to deliver.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Well poo poo, is that dude God or not? This episode made him seem like he's delusional or a conman, but then again Kevin saw him in the afterlife, if that's what it was.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

:rip:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

At least he condensed The Temple stuff down to one episode.

The whistle callbacks were a nice touch.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

El Jeffe posted:

Well poo poo, is that dude God or not? This episode made him seem like he's delusional or a conman, but then again Kevin saw him in the afterlife, if that's what it was.
If that was actually the same actor (I have no recollection of what the hotel guy looked like) then I think it just goes to show that he, like Kevin, is some random guy with the power to return from death. So he would legitimately be special in that way, but probably not any sort of God or Jesus, and while Kevin is sort of compartmentalizing his travels between life and death as something that happened but might be insane, this dude just embraced it and it went right to his ego

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
A bit of narrative frustration with this one. Why wouldn't Matt, who believes himself to be a potential author of the New New Testament, not ask a guy who has allegedly gone through the exact same thing as Kevin about his experience?

Not enough to detract from the episode as a whole, however. (And, given Mr. Burton's demeanor, probably not one that would've gone anywhere productive.) A great character ep, not just for Matt. I loved how he thought he was deploying a big drat truth bomb with revealing Kevin's latest delusion to John - only for John to reveal unanticipated maturity and acceptance by saying "No, she was probably right to keep that from me."

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This episode had some great moments, but it was probably my least favorite of the season.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

If that was actually the same actor (I have no recollection of what the hotel guy looked like) then I think it just goes to show that he, like Kevin, is some random guy with the power to return from death. So he would legitimately be special in that way, but probably not any sort of God or Jesus, and while Kevin is sort of compartmentalizing his travels between life and death as something that happened but might be insane, this dude just embraced it and it went right to his ego

Oh yeah I guess he might "survive" the lion attack. I'm on board with multiple immortals.

JethroMcB posted:

A bit of narrative frustration with this one. Why wouldn't Matt, who believes himself to be a potential author of the New New Testament, not ask a guy who has allegedly gone through the exact same thing as Kevin about his experience?

Because it would mean his messiah isn't as special as he thinks he is. Matt wants to believe.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I agree with being the least favorite.

One thing that I do have questions about is why didn't Laurie show the picture of the person Kevin thought was Evie? Or at least mention it?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

Think of it this way: Matt's writing a book about a man who he thinks is the second coming of Christ, a man who up until this point has vehemently denied that title. Then on this boat, he meets another man who not only introduces himself as God, but does so with what basically amounts to a pithy business card. The next time he sees him, he's murdering someone. And THAT'S when he finds out that this guy supposedly died and came back just like Kevin, already has followers who think that he's God, and is basically allowed to go wherever and do whatever he wants because of it.

In the mythology that Matt is building for Kevin, this David Burton guy fits the role of the Anti-Christ like a glove. I don't think he's really interested in hearing what he has to say beyond confirming that he's a "fraud," and he seems really disappointed in himself for buying into Burton's bullshit after he unties him.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
That was a pretty cool ep but I'm definitely ready for the end of the series. While I love it, there is definitely something exhausting about this show.

Also Matt is playing a pretty cool reinterpretation of Locke.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Loved the episode. This is seemingly going to have two types of groups when the show ends: those that watch for the characters and those who want answers. Exactly like the 2 groups of people that either loved or hated the end of LOST.

"NOT PENNY'S BOAT"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah I really liked that episode. It was so weird and insane. Basically:

tomapot posted:

loving Matt episodes never fail to deliver.

Also, God was bridge guy from International Assassin/I Live Here Now, right? Kevin already met this guy somehow. How the gently caress did that happen??

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Think of it this way:

El Jeffe posted:

Oh yeah I guess he might "survive" the lion attack. I'm on board with multiple immortals.

Because it would mean his messiah isn't as special as he thinks he is. Matt wants to believe.

Oh, it's one of those things that makes perfect sense in character - Matt's peculiarities, temperament and need for meaning have been established since Two Boats and a Helicopter - just one of those moments where we as the viewer are very cognizant of "This guy can probably give you a realer peace, Matt! Just connect the dots that have been loving laid out for US!"

I don't think we've seen in the end of Bill Camp on this show. I can definitely see Kevin returning to the hotel and finding this guy at the bar again, saying "There was this fuckin' nutjob of a 'priest,' so he said, and a...long story short, mate, I've found out that when your body has gone beyond a certain point, you don't go back. So...I Live Here Now."

Anyhow...(Episode name spoilers/speculation) Burton says that Jesus didn't rise from the dead, that his twin brother appeared 3 days later and everyone got confused. The title of the penultimate episode of the series is "The Most Powerful Man in the World (and His Identical Twin Brother)" - Until this point I thought they were going to swerve us, somehow, with a second Kevin. Now I think Kevin's going to the other side only to learn that David Burton was the impostor, that he was abusing his brother's infamy for his own gain.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

JethroMcB posted:

Back when I used to be a Christian my Bible study group took a trip to a mosque to learn about Islam, as a sort of interfaith dialogue thing. We all sat there respectfully as the woman there explained the similarities and differences between her beliefs and Christianity, but on the ride home my pastor ripped into everything she said like "Wow, how do people believe such ridiculous BS?". Point being once people decide to invest their faith into something they tend to still be closed off to anything outside their own dogma, even if there's no rational reason to believe one and not the other.

Also this is a really good interview with Lindelof that touches on that:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/leftovers-episode-inspired-by-matt-zoller-seitz.html?mid=twitter_vulture&mid=twitter_vulture

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 15, 2017

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
That was an excellent episode of TV.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

The gently caress lion is real guys :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus