Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm pretty sure more content has been released for ETS2 than ATS since ATS came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm in the mood for trucking and ATS is on sale. Is it worth it over ETS 2?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm in the mood for trucking and ATS is on sale. Is it worth it over ETS 2?

Yes.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Sold.

That said, care to elaborate?

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
ETS2 and ATS are the same game set in different places. It's not like ETS2 is outdated compared to ATS.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Fat Samurai posted:

Sold.

That said, care to elaborate?

It's a good game and it's on sale, what more can I say? :)

Oceanbound posted:

ETS2 and ATS are the same game set in different places. It's not like ETS2 is outdated compared to ATS.

There are some differences, for example, ATS is done using another scale. They did a re-scale but ATS still feels much "bigger". The environments are more open, the roads are wider, the trucks are bigger, faster and more powerful. It just feels very different despite them being pretty much the same game.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 12, 2017

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
For as much as I like ATS, I always end up playing for a day or two and thinking "Welp, that's that, I should really load up ETS2 and tear up a whole continent with a wide range of cooler trucks.

I'd probably feel differently, though, if I weren't a U.S. American who's spent a shmajillion hours on real life U.S. American highways.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Did they add the ATS parking mechanics to ETS2?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

santanotreal posted:

Did they add the ATS parking mechanics to ETS2?

They added it to some of them in the 1.26 patch. As I understand it not all delivery prefabs were possible to upgrade to having several parking spots without having to remake large parts of the map.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

There are some differences, for example, ATS is done using another scale. They did a re-scale but ATS still feels much "bigger". The environments are more open, the roads are wider, the trucks are bigger, faster and more powerful. It just feels very different despite them being pretty much the same game.

That's sort of just Europe vs America though.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Ran across this thread randomly a couple of days ago, saw ETS was on sale on Steam. Bought it and will likely play it so much my butt will grown roots.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Finally decided to buy ATS. I like this so far, but i am really not liking these cops. Witch house radio station is good poo poo

Do they ever plan on making a texas map? I can't imagine if they do, that should be an entirely separate game

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fargin Icehole posted:

Finally decided to buy ATS. I like this so far, but i am really not liking these cops. Witch house radio station is good poo poo

Do they ever plan on making a texas map? I can't imagine if they do, that should be an entirely separate game

As far as I know, they plan on doing all/most states eventually. Here's the next one they're working on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4NBx-O8I7A

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

StrixNebulosa posted:

As far as I know, they plan on doing all/most states eventually. Here's the next one they're working on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4NBx-O8I7A

Yeah I just hope that i live for another 100 years to see it all.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Harminoff posted:

Yeah I just hope that i live for another 100 years to see it all.

If there's a six-month gap between the rescale and the NM DLC, and they keep up the same rate for each subsequent state, they should be done with the whole continental USA somewhere around 2039.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

gtrmp posted:

If there's a six-month gap between the rescale and the NM DLC, and they keep up the same rate for each subsequent state, they should be done with the whole continental USA somewhere around 2039.

I'm hoping that the pace will pick up, and that they're still adjusting to the new scale and probably updating and laying out tools and procedures to make this poo poo go quicker.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Don't they allegedly have two teams for ATS itself? So one's doing New Mexico and the other is allegedly doing Oregon and Washington?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how many years will it take ATS to cross the Mississippi

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Stairmaster posted:

how many years will it take ATS to cross the Mississippi

The team will get stuck and eat itself somewhere around Arkansas

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Once you get east of the Rockies, you can do a whole lot of cuttin and pastin for a while.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Kibayasu posted:

That's sort of just Europe vs America though.

^^ this comment is stupid ^^

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Don't most the american trucks max out at like 500hp anyway? Saying that hp is pretty much irrelevant and you should be looking at the torque figure the engine produces instead.

Has anyone managed to deliver one of the heavy cargo trailers? If so how are the steering axles? The physics seem to have changed in the last update also.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

track day bro! posted:

Don't most the american trucks max out at like 500hp anyway? Saying that hp is pretty much irrelevant and you should be looking at the torque figure the engine produces instead.

Has anyone managed to deliver one of the heavy cargo trailers? If so how are the steering axles? The physics seem to have changed in the last update also.

As far as I know this game only cares about torque.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Do either ATS or ETS2 support Oculus all patched up?

Stopped working a few months ago.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

ElZilcho posted:

Do either ATS or ETS2 support Oculus all patched up?

Stopped working a few months ago.

Kinda, from what I understand you need to use a special branch under the Betas tab in steam. 'Oculus experimental support' or something, but it seems this branch isn't updated as frequently as the main game.
You can see people complaining that the new DLC doesn't work with Oculus and that someone (Komat?) needs to update the branch here: http://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=58686&start=540

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

track day bro! posted:

I'm in the middle of one on my game (the asphalt miner which is 44 tonnes, using the Scania Streamline 8x4 with the 730hp engine and the 12F/2R transmission) and it seems surprisingly nimble.

My main gripe with the game is the heavy loads never seem to spawn in the city I am currently in (drove deadhead from Geneva to Lyon to pick up this one)

EDIT: I'll continue the run at 1700UTC and stream it on my twitch channel.

EDIT2: as far as the ATS map stuff, also as you go east the states start getting smaller. My guess is all of New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI and VT) will be a single DLC, and some of the other Eastern states will also be bundled together (ie, DC, MD and VA; PA and NJ; Carolinas)

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 15, 2017

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Kilonum posted:

I'm in the middle of one on my game (the asphalt miner which is 44 tonnes, using the Scania Streamline 8x4 with the 730hp engine and the 12F/2R transmission) and it seems surprisingly nimble.

My main gripe with the game is the heavy loads never seem to spawn in the city I am currently in (drove deadhead from Geneva to Lyon to pick up this one)

EDIT: I'll continue the run at 1700UTC and stream it on my twitch channel.

Eh, I dunno if I can be hosed to drive a truck with an 8x4 chassis on the offchance I see a heavy cargo available. I wonder if I could get away with just a 6x4, even that I don't usually bother with as I prefer using a taglift cuz it's easier to park than a 6x2/4

If you have the dev console activated you can just find a heavy job in a specific city and use the 'goto <name of city>' and drop your truck in where needed by pressing F9, but I can never be arsed to do that.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
What's it like getting up one of those narrow curving motorway exits with a heavy cargo?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

STREAMING http://twitch.tv/kilonum2

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I caught up on buying a bunch of ETS2 stuff in the sale so I'll have to get stuck into the new France to make it worthwhile.

On the American side of things, it's kind of interesting and probably depends how they'll handle the denser states, whether they increase the amount of roads as they go east or keep it trimmed down. So I have no idea whether it would take more work to do the landscaping, the roads, or the built-up areas (given they do reuse a lot of assets).

But for this exercise we could assume that development time corresponds directly to the area of each expansion. (Bearing in mind the rescale ate a fair amount of time as well.)

If they intend to just do the Lower 48, so far they've covered 13% of the land area with CA, NV and AZ.

New Mexico takes that up to 17%, and if we assume they release Washington and Oregon next (six months after NM if we're optimistic?) that takes it up to 22%. (Of course that expansion might also stretch into British Columbia at least as far as Vancouver, which would be nice.)

After that we're speculating, but to me it seems like Texas would be more attractive as the next cab off the rank. It'll be huge (thought at least it's mostly flat) but that takes the coverage up to 31%. I think even that could be years away, beyond which SCS could go bust or decide to retool their engine or who the gently caress knows. Especially since they'd probably want to fill out the mountain states before getting too far east.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

America is huge, and they made ATS starting over at California when all I wanna do is drive around home state NY. :sigh:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I hope that when they add Boston it's just a series of corners to get stuck on

Seriously this city is not good for trucks

Also the gps should send you under bridges that you're too big to clear. I want to get storrowed from the safety of home

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Who would've thought that 16 tons of toxic gas can't take a relatively sharp right turn at 90 kph? Color me surprised.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
There's a page with 24/7 streaming Art Bell. It goes well with our current desert-only ATS if you set your driver's sleep patterns to night driving.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

ftfy

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I didn't want to get too inside baseball for a non-boston thread but you're right

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

The Deadly Hume posted:

New Mexico takes that up to 17%, and if we assume they release Washington and Oregon next (six months after NM if we're optimistic?) that takes it up to 22%. (Of course that expansion might also stretch into British Columbia at least as far as Vancouver, which would be nice.)

I believe they've said that they are interested in hitting at least the US-contiguous parts of Canada and Mexico at some point, but unless their plans have changed I would expect SCS to at least get past the Mississippi before they start expanding the map out of the US.

Although that does raise the issue of how they're going to sell DLC for areas that don't connect directly to the base map without confusing the hell out of people who want to (for example) buy Canadian Truck Simulator but don't care about Washington or Oregon. And that gets even more complicated once they've added enough DLC that there are multiple paths from CA/NV/AZ to a map expansion - can people buy the Canada DLC if they own the DLC for the mountain states up to the border but don't own WA/OR? Can I buy the Texas DLC if I don't have the NM DLC but I do have all the connecting states to the north of that? etc.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
We've mused over this for months. My own idea is that you'll get the major interstates but none of the smaller highways and none of the cities. That or you just teleport from where you own to the next thing you own.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I still think that when they get that many, they'll sell them in chunks of multiple states so not having magic cross country connections won't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

We've mused over this for months. My own idea is that you'll get the major interstates but none of the smaller highways and none of the cities. That or you just teleport from where you own to the next thing you own.

My guess is they'll do what they do for trains and ferries already in ETS2, so you'd go hit a rail yard and magically teleport to the next bit you own.