Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Curada is great on a BSB healer, especially when you can get it to R2 (it'll happen eventually) and get 6 casts. At R1, yeah, it's better as an off-heal. You can put it on something like a Knight and still get good healing because you always get 2000 HP on top of whatever the initial cast heals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Schwartzcough posted:

Curada is great on a BSB healer, especially when you can get it to R2 (it'll happen eventually) and get 6 casts. At R1, yeah, it's better as an off-heal. You can put it on something like a Knight and still get good healing because you always get 2000 HP on top of whatever the initial cast heals.

It's not a huge pool on Knights who have 6* White and can make use of it, but it's really nice if you have one. I think it's just Beatrix, Minfilia, and Ceodore, but if you have one of their BSBs, gearing their abilities like a White Mage can be really useful, especially in Multiplayer.

There's also Tyro, both Gogos, and some darkness sages with sorta low MND, like Kuja and Exdeath (who can have fun with Grand Cross if you have it). I think Rubicante got White 5 too?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean the hope is i'll knock out all the nightmares eventually (i've literally done all the dungeons, just the one stamina bosses left) but i only get around to them every once in a while when i've got the patience to deal with learning the gimmick. that said, i've picked up meltdown, ultima, and curada so far, what should be next on the agenda? affliction break, valigarmanda, and omega drive are all solid right?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

pichupal posted:

There's also Tyro, both Gogos, and some darkness sages with sorta low MND, like Kuja and Exdeath (who can have fun with Grand Cross if you have it). I think Rubicante got White 5 too?

speaking of gogos, FF6 gogo is my jam and i want to squirrel away some bits for him, he's not showing up until like octoberish in global, right?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Cowcaster posted:

i mean the hope is i'll knock out all the nightmares eventually (i've literally done all the dungeons, just the one stamina bosses left) but i only get around to them every once in a while when i've got the patience to deal with learning the gimmick. that said, i've picked up meltdown, ultima, and curada so far, what should be next on the agenda? affliction break, valigarmanda, and omega drive are all solid right?

Meltdown, Affliction Break, Omega Drive and Curada are the big four.

Valigarmanda has niche use if you have a summoner with an ether burst command or just only need to hit butan once in a fight for some reason (I put it on Wrath-spamming OSB Terra sometimes as a whatever).

Neo Bahamut is strictly worse than Valigarmanda until it gets buffed and then in the same boat as it. In general, don't sweat either other than the crystals.

Dervish is actually quite good once it gets buffed in the distant future. Northern Cross isn't awful now but it's time has mostly passed. Quadruple Foul, Crushdown, and Arise are bad.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Crushdown is just lackluster; it's not actively a waste of crystals the same way Quad Foul and Arise are. I'd put it on par with Ultima now, or slightly behind NC when Ultima gets buffed.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Ugh, gently caress. I forgot about the dungeon fight. Didn't get to beat the 1stam version. RIP vitality motes, I actually really needed you.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
it was tough to find a consistent group over the week, and I was gone for most of today. welp.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alright, it's decision time. I have almost zero FFX relics, and even fewer water soul breaks. Would it be better to pull on banner 1 or banner 2? Assuming I only pull once.

e: I'm leaning towards banner 2 because Kimahri's BSB looks pretty good

ee: although that's a terrible reason because Kimahri is a terrible character

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 15, 2017

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Fister Roboto posted:

Alright, it's decision time. I have almost zero FFX relics, and even fewer water soul breaks. Would it be better to pull on banner 1 or banner 2? Assuming I only pull once.

e: I'm leaning towards banner 2 because Kimahri's BSB looks pretty good

ee: although that's a terrible reason because Kimahri is a terrible character

Kimahri is fine and has been fine for a long time. He was terrible back when dragoon basically meant "combat five but has spears" but he didn't have combat.

That said if you can beat this event don't pull on this banner wait for the next one with rikku USB

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
In other morenimportant news:

:siren:It's Rank 2 Curada day!!!!!!!!:siren:

If you haven't missed any white crystals, today's the day you get six casts of that sweet sweet Curada. Hone it and don't even think twice about doing so.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why the gently caress are blitzballs in their own weapon category rather than just thrown weapons?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
They wanted to give Dolls and Hairpins company.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

AegisP posted:

They wanted to give Dolls and Hairpins company.

And Gambling Gear. They had some really weird ideas about gear early on. At least there's a few characters who can use blitz balls.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
dolls hairpins and gunarms are loving stupid. at least they gave up on gambling gear after one. blitzballs are whatev because a bunch of the ffx cast can use em

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
A lot or the worst design decisions of the game come from the early days when there wasn't really a plan in mind and they were very much hey do whatever.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It seems like it'd be pretty trivial and logical to make gunarms guns, dolls rods, hairpins into fists or something, and gambling gear and blitzballs into throwing weapons. I guess there's no reason for them to buff a handful of rare items that they aren't obliged by regulations to change or anything and that (in some cases) don't really reoccur on newer banners anyway.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
If you have a couple sources of magic blink and lots of water users, MP Yunalesca isn't bad. If you have Arc you might as well bring along Renewing Rains because it seems like it's still bugged and sapped characters can still eat it. Since you don't need to fear Ultra Cure, you might as well go for holy resist

edit: I guess it's just the second phase that's bugged, the third phase should be fine if you keep Sap on.

MikeSevigny fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 15, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah blitzballs are fine-ish because enough people use them that theyre functional synergy weapons.

Dolls are poo poo though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Just like go in and give each rare weapon type half a dozen or more users and they'd be all right, canon be damned.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Nevar forget black cowl farming. Nevar.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm beginning to hate Asylum, aka "gently caress your SB charge", in multiplayer.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012

MikeSevigny posted:

If you have a couple sources of magic blink and lots of water users, MP Yunalesca isn't bad. If you have Arc you might as well bring along Renewing Rains because it seems like it's still bugged and sapped characters can still eat it. Since you don't need to fear Ultra Cure, you might as well go for holy resist

edit: I guess it's just the second phase that's bugged, the third phase should be fine if you keep Sap on.

Nah, both are okay. Regular Megadeath works as intended, but the Ultimate version, which she casts a few times in Phase 2, doesn't focus on unsapped characters. It's a single-target ability meant to do damage equal to the target's HP to kill them, and can be blocked by Mblink, Stoneskin, and Last Stand. But well. When she hits phase 2, she'll start with Hellbiter and then use Ultimate Megadeath 2-3 times. So Last Stand can save you from it, but the character will probably immediately die to Sap right after.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
This fight is practically perfect for showing off Yuna's new USB.

I never felt like such dead weight in multiplayer. My only real contribution was Prayer of the Lost's crit boost. Beyond that, my healer BSB's weren't great and my water soul breaks are nearly non-existent. Got by on Hand of the Crystals since it was either that or Tidus's Jecht Shot.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck ixion

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

Fister Roboto posted:

This. The apoc+ fight is hard as all hell but especially Ixion seems incredibly fast and powerful.

I'd really like to have those Rosetta Stones but this probably isn't happening. Not giving up yet though, still plenty of time to scrape together a working team.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

This. The apoc+ fight is hard as all hell but especially Ixion seems incredibly fast and powerful.

I'd really like to have those Rosetta Stones but this probably isn't happening. Not giving up yet though, still plenty of time to scrape together a working team.

I found Vanille's USB as an RW to be super super helpful for this one. Proshellga + HP Stock + Status Blink is a perfectly designed RW to let your Y'shtola or Rosa or other wrath capable healer with magic blink or BSB spend the first 3-4 rounds of the fight spamming wrath; that gives you the head start on healing you need to get through Ifrit comfortably and ready for Ixion with enough soul juice to slam it home. (Also blinking that slow from Valefor is aces.)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm still trying to work through the Cid's Mission before even thinking of Apocalypse. I can bring him down to about 30% before his AoEs start to wreck me. Having one of Yuna's better Medicas would be really handy about now, but I'm going to try to resist pulling on these banners.

EDIT: And down. The key for me was manipulating his pattern - since he no longer resists any elements and his affinity always goes Water > Lightning > Ice > Fire, Lulu smacked him with Chain Thundaga twice to shift him to Thunder mode, and I just stuck Lightning resist on everyone and kept him there (splashing him with Waterja and Chain Firaga for medals). OK BSB did most of the legwork after that, with Seymour and Lulu going back to regular spells once they ran out. Yuna and Braska pulled healer duty while Wakka debuffed.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 15, 2017

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm an uberwhale with the best top tier SBs and insane synergy in every realm, and Ixion made me go :catstare:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i was able to beat it in one go

i almost died once though and that was on ifrit

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
It's pretty painful, the incessant slow spam from Valefor hurts a shitload when you don't have a shout or Visions of the Past. Plus he's actually pretty beefy. This fight is actually pretty rough

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
Warder's Apocrypha is really solid on that fight, I used it as a RW. Pop it after the first slowga on Valefor then to re-up haste after the first dispel/stop on Ixion and you'll get protected from the next stop at ~40%

e: disclaimer: i have shout, wall, and used both vanille and y'sthola bsbs to survive ixion's stupid aoe damage. lightning resistance helps a ton as well

kerwyn fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 15, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Wow this Yunalesca fight sucks rear end.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Wow this Yunalesca fight sucks rear end.

yeah, does ko resist help with ultimate mega death or no

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I can Rank 2 Meltdown. I cried, a little. It's a joyous day.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm that hilariously bad pubbie in MP. When finishing Hashmal before the deadline in two successive runs I accidentally brought SG Tyro without a RM (or Wrath) and support OK with his default SB instead of Vow.

Which I was punished for doing Yunalesca, by a pubbie who brought front-row support OK without the breaks necessary to activate the medal conditions.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Snazzy Frocks posted:

yeah, does ko resist help with ultimate mega death or no

I don't think so, since it's not actually a KO. It's damage = max HP, so anything that fucks with that will prevent it. Asylum is the big one, but HP stock combined with Last Stand will also work (Last Stand technically works by itself, but your character will just die from sap immediately).

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't think so, since it's not actually a KO. It's damage = max HP, so anything that fucks with that will prevent it. Asylum is the big one, but HP stock combined with Last Stand will also work (Last Stand technically works by itself, but your character will just die from sap immediately).

Isn't it supposed to skip over you if you're sapped though? I agree that the fight sucked rear end though. Took me like 3 pubbie groups before we finally got it down.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Ultimate Mega Death and Mega Death are two separate abilities.

Ultimate Mega Death will get used while she's in phase 2 and just straight up does 100% Max HP damage and doesn't give a poo poo about sap or anything else.

Mega Death is the familiar mechanics where it will only hit people that are not sapped and she starts using it in phase 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i thought most maxHP/curHP attacks were resisted by KO resist

• Locked thread