Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

mycot posted:

Didn't that thread end up exploding because people got really mad the main character got a love interest? Or something like that?

I'll read KSBD someday I swear.
It's a running gag to shitpost about a different (terrible) webcomic whose protagonist is named Allison in that thread. And by "running gag", I mean "forced meme".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Clevin is not a meme

"Clevin is not a meme" may become a meme if this keeps up.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

one man meme machine

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

mycot posted:

Didn't that thread end up exploding because people got really mad the main character got a love interest? Or something like that?

I'll read KSBD someday I swear.

The thread had to be locked down for a while because people got really mad at Zaid and also Clevin. Most of the time it's just a duller version of the comments section of the webcomic itself. (duller because the regular commenters on the webcomic's site at least have the gall to post in-character as their own K6BD ocs, which is entertainingly weird)

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Nuns with Guns posted:

(duller because the regular commenters on the webcomic's site at least have the gall to post in-character as their own K6BD ocs, which is entertainingly weird)

Double weird because the some of the ocs are also characters in the comic.

Yes I did it with mine too once come at me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Never forget 419 Burn Without Hesitation Or Remorse

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nuns with Guns posted:

their own K6BD orcs

what I read

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Why does John Allison hate us, and want us to suffer?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Personally I am more entertained by People Complaining About Desmond Fishman than I am upset about the Fishman himself, so bring on as much Des as you want, Mr Allison.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Yeah, I have never understood the hatred of Desmond Fishman and am already greatly enjoying this fill-in series. I'm a Yank but I chuckled long and hard at using a photo of The Master for Corbyn.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Do people still read Questionable Content? What's the general opinion on that nowadays?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

The Shortest Path posted:

Do people still read Questionable Content? What's the general opinion on that nowadays?

It's a reasonably good mild comedy webcomic about twenty-somethings living in apartments.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its inoffensive and updates every week day, so some folks read it

also there's a weird clique that mostly posts in the other webcomics thread that hates questionable content and its author with a creepy fervor, they read it too

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
We still have another thread? I lost track of it last time it played musical subforums.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Yeah, it's in the chat threads subforum in BYOB.

I honestly can't tell you if it's good or not because the regulars like putting 10 pages of whatever they're reading in a single post and it makes reading the thread on mobile an incredible pain in the rear end. I'm sure it's cool and chill and stuff but the sheer amount of images means you have to scroll waaaaay more than I'm willing to put up with since each non-timg gets put on a new line.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Questionable Content has a pretty low bar set in terms of being disappointing, but even by that standard...

...this storyline is kind of annoying. The idea of Faye and her Robot Girlfriend trying to open up a business together seemed like a pretty great avenue for telling stories of them trying and struggling to make do. Instead, though, they basically get gifted a business by Dora, basically allowing them to attain their goal with no real work involved. I guess maybe it's because Jeph is all woke on twitter and loves to talk about political poo poo that this annoys me the most, but I feel like anyone who has tried to start a business would likely start their story of that business with their struggle to even get it going.

Not everybody has a "rich coffee shop owner" with the right friends to call up and get you a loving storefront, especially in a town with property values as high as loving Northampton, MA. It feels lazy, it feels unrealistic, and above all it smacks of a sense that he doesn't actually care about that part, which seems like a massive indication of how out-of-touch he is with anyone who isn't a "self-made" (read: started a webcomic in the late 90's and early 2000's and managed regular updates for it) cartoonist. It sets my teeth on edge.

It wouldn't be bad if this wasn't like the second or third consistent time this has been done. They had another story arc end with a "mysterious" character basically solving everybody's problems for them, easily, and for no cost. I don't...it's like...it's really really bad.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

JethroMcB posted:

Yeah, I have never understood the hatred of Desmond Fishman and am already greatly enjoying this fill-in series. I'm a Yank but I chuckled long and hard at using a photo of The Master for Corbyn.

Des is the perfect, uh, creature to represent Tackleford in Parliament

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I don't...it's like...it's really really bad.

Then stop loving reading it, and lead a happy life.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Just Offscreen posted:

Then stop loving reading it, and lead a happy life.

There's lots of good comics out there, no point in anybody reading stuff they don't like.

Here's one I found recently: https://tapas.io/series/Evil-Witch-Allie and one I've been reading for a while: http://www.ghosthunterorg.com/comic/the-ghost-dog-000/

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Edit: nevermind

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

questionable content is basically dominic deegan with a much larger fanbase

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Does anyone else read Back? It's a collaborative effort between KC Green and Anthony Clark and it's consistently been pretty good in terms of both art and storytelling. I don't think I've ever seen anyone here post about it though, so I was wondering if it's on anyone else's radar.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I read it, it's good

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

I'm not a big QC fan but let's not say things we can't take back.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cowcaster posted:

Now come on

That's not nice

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dominic deegan had a backstory w heroic rape

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Cowcaster posted:

Questionable Content is boring, bland and inoffensive at worst, whose greatest sin is frequently hitting the well of "by complete coincidence, *person close by* solves the problem" because it's deathly afraid of commitment to arcs that last more than a few months.

Dominic Deegan was a comic about a Mary Sue that fought a giant spaghetti monster, took itself insanely seriously at all times, and featured a character whose backstory had him "forced" to rape a girl that'd just had her family murdered so she wouldn't get killed herself, who in the future goes on to fall in love with her rapist, so what he did was actually cool and good.

I would take a thousand Questionable Contents if it meant no one ever made a webcomic with a heroic rapist again.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I would take a month of Desmond Fishman over another week of Shelley Winters

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

And even ignoring the rape(how's that for a sentence?), I have one word for everyone who doesn't remember DD as well as they think they do.

SuperGreg.

Edit ...and the 'poor people are insane idiots'... and white-savior racism ... and all that business with how the worst possible think that could happen to Luna is being made infertile ...

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 14, 2017

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

And even ignoring the rape(how's that for a sentence?), I have one word for everyone who doesn't remember DD as well as they think they do.

SuperGreg.

Edit ...and the 'poor people are insane idiots'... and white-savior racism ... and all that business with how the worst possible think that could happen to Luna is being made infertile ...

But then she had magic donor eggs iirc.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Questionable Content has a pretty low bar set in terms of being disappointing, but even by that standard...

...this storyline is kind of annoying. The idea of Faye and her Robot Girlfriend trying to open up a business together seemed like a pretty great avenue for telling stories of them trying and struggling to make do. Instead, though, they basically get gifted a business by Dora, basically allowing them to attain their goal with no real work involved. I guess maybe it's because Jeph is all woke on twitter and loves to talk about political poo poo that this annoys me the most, but I feel like anyone who has tried to start a business would likely start their story of that business with their struggle to even get it going.

Not everybody has a "rich coffee shop owner" with the right friends to call up and get you a loving storefront, especially in a town with property values as high as loving Northampton, MA. It feels lazy, it feels unrealistic, and above all it smacks of a sense that he doesn't actually care about that part, which seems like a massive indication of how out-of-touch he is with anyone who isn't a "self-made" (read: started a webcomic in the late 90's and early 2000's and managed regular updates for it) cartoonist. It sets my teeth on edge.

It wouldn't be bad if this wasn't like the second or third consistent time this has been done. They had another story arc end with a "mysterious" character basically solving everybody's problems for them, easily, and for no cost. I don't...it's like...it's really really bad.

Huh, so is Faye actually a robot lesbian now or are you just joking about there being any kind of change in character?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Vonnie posted:

But then she had magic donor eggs iirc.

Yep, being the white lady that saved the orcs made her barren, but she also got magic eggs that would copy the genetics of any mother they were put in. Also the gay man with a death fetish nursed a massive crush on Dominic and fantasized about graphically murdering Luna so they could be together. But he was the good guy and his ex-wife was the bad guy, so she was the one that got strangled to death and everyone laughed at her corpse-butt sticking up in the air.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Dangerous Person posted:

I would take a month of Desmond Fishman over another week of Shelley Winters
Same, but every time I see Des I wish Moon and Earnest were there, too.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yep, being the white lady that saved the orcs made her barren, but she also got magic eggs that would copy the genetics of any mother they were put in. Also the gay man with a death fetish nursed a massive crush on Dominic and fantasized about graphically murdering Luna so they could be together. But he was the good guy and his ex-wife was the bad guy, so she was the one that got strangled to death and everyone laughed at her corpse-butt sticking up in the air.

The most amazing thing about Dominic Deegan is that the author knows perfectly well how to write a good comic. I attended a panel he did at a convention once back when the comic/mock thread was still going strong and I was all ready to hear about his lovely opinions but the worst thing I can say about it was that it seemed like he rehearsed so much he couldn't stop to take a question partway through because he was afraid of getting lost. It was perfectly good advice, insightful and helpful even.

I think Dominic Deegan was his way of experimenting with all the off color concepts and ideas he'd ever thought of or maybe he just wanted to try things no one had ever done, except he never stopped to think about why no one had done those things or if he was a good enough author to pull it off in the first place.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Being entirely honest, you hit the nail on the head.

He's said as much about Sexy Heroic Rapist- that was why he did it. Why NOT contrive a reason for a rapist to be a hero?

Never mind the reasons you don't do that, especially in light weight bullshit like DD.

Another edge to the epic legacy of DD is the fact that it is bound in Mookie's personal interests and fetishes. It's some lovely online comic he did so why not indulge himself?

Cue the sexy posed corpses and loads of other weird fetishy poo poo that kept popping up.

I don't think anyone could ever make a comic quite like Dominic Deegan again. It might be beyond mortal ken to accomplish

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I particularly remember that he got married in real life and in the comic his new in-laws constantly disapproved of him so he had to show them how wrong they were at every turn. That was pretty amazing.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
That's the weird thing about him. He made so many questionable decisions in his comic but he seems like a decent person who could do a good job at comic making. Like he's kinda a textbook definition of good intentions without ever thinking things through leading up to a complete disaster.

I think part of it was wanting a comic that was "light hearted" and golden age super hero-y but also wanting to tackle serious topics that he is no way equipped to handle. So his tone was always all over the place. Also he has this weird thing about having to make sure that his main characters get constant praise and acknowledgment from side characters which is just weird. If a character is critical, it's either they are secretly trying to encourage the hero or they are some evil wrong-headed person. The dude can't just let stuff happen on a page and have people draw their own conclusions. Instead he has to self insert his own judgments explicitly through the mouths of 3rd party characters and draw maximum attention to every single thing his main characters do. It doesn't work so great when he gives his protagonists flaws that aren't really flaws as well. Or if it is a real flaw, he'll find a way to erase it or make it irrelevant soon enough.

Maybe he's just the sentimental type and he gets so close to his characters that he can't bare for them not to be constantly reassured or for truly bad things to stick to them. But if he actually let his characters breathe and deal with the ramifications of their own decisions then he could probably make a good story provided he never talked about sensitive subjects that he knew nothing about.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Every now and again I check on his new comic- not to read it just to see if it's still going. I'm always kind of pleasantly surprised to see it is.

Star Power is just kind of boringly competent from what very little I've looked at it. I'm not sure how good or bad it is, but I remember the thread lost all steam with it because it was Mookie being very professional, possibly due to having a filter of another artist directing his efforts.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Wrist Watch posted:

I think Dominic Deegan was his way of experimenting with all the off color concepts and ideas he'd ever thought of or maybe he just wanted to try things no one had ever done, except he never stopped to think about why no one had done those things or if he was a good enough author to pull it off in the first place.

What I always figured happened was he stopped doing any kind of plotting years ago; beyond a start and end point at least. No scripting or thumbnailing or any kind of thought put into the in-between points. Just all off the cuff, and obviously that led to a lot of stuff that came of poorly if you stopped to think about it at all. And like, clearly that worked for him in its own way, but god what a mess.

JuniperCake posted:

Maybe he's just the sentimental type and he gets so close to his characters that he can't bare for them not to be constantly reassured or for truly bad things to stick to them. But if he actually let his characters breathe and deal with the ramifications of their own decisions then he could probably make a good story provided he never talked about sensitive subjects that he knew nothing about.

Dominic was his D&D character, and a few of the other characters were other PCs in the D&D game, or other rpg characters he played. So yeah, he was way too close to a lot of the DD cast.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Dominic Deegan>>>>>>>Questionable Content because at least it's a fascinating trainwreck.

• Locked thread