Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Some lady is trying to carry on FIVE bags: one regular roller bag, one laptop roller bag, a backpack, a HUGE purse, and some take out.

She's being really aggressive... maybe I should start filming lol

E: now she's stacked everything in her little aisle and has her feet on top of her poo poo, knees up to her chest

E2: everything's checked but now security came to talk to her to make sure she's not gonna murder us in the air or something hope I make it to chicago

taco show fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Some day Americans will stop carrying their entire goddamn lives on board with them and I'll cry with joy.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Noctone posted:

Some day Americans will stop carrying their entire goddamn lives on board with them and I'll cry with joy.

Just got back from Vegas. Those fuckers have the largest goddamn bags I've ever seen. Only thing that would fix that would be some kind of purge.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

On the subject of bags. Are Tumi's great as they say?

I typically go on 3-4 days trips and would like to be able to shove everything into one large carry-on backpack. Is that even a thing?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I do that with my Tom Bihn. But my work attire is casual.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I bought the overpriced carry on from Away. My suit bag barely fits but I can squeeze it in! I hate packing for rain and cold and suit and tie and shoes.

First time in downtown Orlando. Aloft upgraded me to a suite. The room isn't dirty but it also doesn't..feel clean. Can't put a finger on why.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
You've probably put your finger on "why" several times without realizing it by now

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Tab8715 posted:

I typically go on 3-4 days trips and would like to be able to shove everything into one large carry-on backpack. Is that even a thing?

I prefer a duffel, but yes, Tumi is excellent. I like them so much I bought my girlfriend an a set and have also converted several coworkers.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

sellouts posted:

I do that with my Tom Bihn. But my work attire is casual.

Love my Tom Bihn laptop bag. Pondering getting a small duffel/backpack. Which one do you have?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Tumi is fine but it's fairly pricey.

B&R is good too.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Tumi is fine but it's fairly pricey.

B&R is good too.

Trick /w B&R is to keep the box it comes in somewhere (attic, closet) so you can drop it in and ship it back for repair whenever you want without having to find another big-rear end box.

Did about a half-million BIS miles with my B&R carry on, developed a tear in one handle and a "click" in the wheels. A few bucks to send it in and they replaced the handle and wheels. Good for another half million miles in my mind.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

devoir posted:

Love my Tom Bihn laptop bag. Pondering getting a small duffel/backpack. Which one do you have?

Tri star with packing cubes, and the 13" messenger for meetings.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I got my B&R backpack at Nordstrom Rack. Nicely constructed, comfy, and holds more stuff than you'd expect from its size.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Tab8715 posted:

They are low end price-wise but the Ebags TLS Motherlode Weekend is excellent as a single bag. I have that and some much more expensive Red Oxx bags but I probably use the Weekender more. The build quality isn't amazing but mine has survived a good 40-50 trips over a couple of years and is still going strong.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

Yes. And expensive but you already know that. However I'd put Tumi in the "get what you pay for" category and not "paying extra just for the brand name".

I have had one of their soft-side carryons and backpacks since 2012 and they have gone around the world with me several times as well as innumerable domestic trips. The only problem I ever had was the zipper pull broke off one of them; I took it to a random Tumi store in an airport and they fixed it on the spot for free, and also replaced a wheel that seemed to be working fine but they thought had a bearing problem. Didn't even ask for the latter nor did they charge for it.

They both still look almost new. And I am not picky about babying my suitcases. I don't think I've ever even cleaned them.

As for your other question, I am a die-hard one-bag (1 + personal that is) who never checks bags. My wife and I went to Australia and NZ for 2 weeks over New Years and didn't check for example. Laundry on the go is key but you can fit quite a bit if you learn to pack correctly. https://www.onebag.com/

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FunOne posted:

Just got back from Vegas. Those fuckers have the largest goddamn bags I've ever seen. Only thing that would fix that would be some kind of purge.

Fly from Miami to Brazil some time. There're import taxes in Brazil that, for certain sizes and classes of family, that make flying to the US, buying clothes enough that you have to raid one of the dozen discount luggage shops at the Dolphin Mall to fill up everyone's maximum checked allowance with your spoils, and flying all that nonsense home make financial sense. I'm not sure if that's related to Brazil having special case checked bag rules on DL and AA but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Just get packing cubes and you are good to go.

But I'm a bit biased towards tumi. It's like wearing the north face khaki hiking pants and a pair of sketchers when you are just inside the airport all day long.

I would go for Tom Bihns, they look better and not as well known. Or Red Oxx.

Or just be like me and get a big rear end duffel like an Osprey Transporter 60. I just came back from a 4 day trip to Japan and managed to stuff 20kg of souvenirs and alcohol into it no problem.

taco show posted:

Some lady is trying to carry on FIVE bags: one regular roller bag, one laptop roller bag, a backpack, a HUGE purse, and some take out.

She's being really aggressive... maybe I should start filming lol

E: now she's stacked everything in her little aisle and has her feet on top of her poo poo, knees up to her chest

E2: everything's checked but now security came to talk to her to make sure she's not gonna murder us in the air or something hope I make it to chicago

I'm always guilty of this if I go to Japan :ohdear: Not only do I have my hobo sized carryon, I have 3 bags of duty free and souvenirs. But I stash all my poo poo underneath the seat!

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I like my Red Oxx Skytrain bag as my primary and the CPA bag as my carry-on. I can generally pack about 5 days of clothing in the Skytrain, and I probably could get more if I got packing cubes. The construction tends to border on overkill. All of the metal bits are pretty thick, and you can see the extra effort on stitching. I've done a year with about 35 weeks travel on it and no signs of fraying or damage. The downsides are two fold. The CPA bag meets airline requirements for a personal item but if you fill it up, you're gonna struggle to get it under a seat with an IFE unit. It will fit, it's just gonna take some effort. And the colors that Red Oxx uses can be a bit on the bright side for some people. This can be great if you want a bag that looks different than every other bag, but for others that can be garish.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

caberham posted:

Just get packing cubes and you are good to go.

But I'm a bit biased towards tumi. It's like wearing the north face khaki hiking pants and a pair of sketchers when you are just inside the airport all day long.

I would go for Tom Bihns, they look better and not as well known. Or Red Oxx.

Or just be like me and get a big rear end duffel like an Osprey Transporter 60. I just came back from a 4 day trip to Japan and managed to stuff 20kg of souvenirs and alcohol into it no problem.

I'm always guilty of this if I go to Japan :ohdear: Not only do I have my hobo sized carryon, I have 3 bags of duty free and souvenirs. But I stash all my poo poo underneath the seat!

They don't just sit in the airport all day though. Tumi's got their rep because they are rugged as poo poo while still looking nice. That said I have heard good things about the other two you mention as well.

For duty free I recommend a small collapsible backpack. Makes for a good day bag as well if you get a chance to sight-see on a business trip (or if your trip is to sight-see). My wife and I use ours for duty free/etc. - return legs being the one exception I occasionally make to check a bag, especially if it is the last long haul leg.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
who the gently caress tries to carry a birthday cake on the plane in the overhead compartment

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm on week 8 of a 15 week run of straight travel, and I'm starting to lose my goddamn mind. I'm also in NYC for 6 of the remaining weeks. Someone recommend things for me to do to stop from going crazy.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Lyft scheduled ride trip report: works as advertised will use to commute to airport again

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

I'm on week 8 of a 15 week run of straight travel, and I'm starting to lose my goddamn mind. I'm also in NYC for 6 of the remaining weeks. Someone recommend things for me to do to stop from going crazy.

Go for a run and go hang out with goooons int he NYC thread

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Rimowa or bust :frogc00l:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

who the gently caress tries to carry a birthday cake on the plane in the overhead compartment

a terroist

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I was kind of wondering that too.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

caberham posted:

I always see you recommending hanging out with goons. Maybe goons have collectively mellowed with age and my stereotype information is old but the last thing I'd ever want to do while traveling is roll the dice and end up hanging out with weirdo goons.

If you're on a six week deployment maybe even weirdos are better than being endlessly lonely or sitting at the hotel bar hoping someone will talk to you.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

caberham posted:

I'm pretty sure all the goons in the NYC thread hate me after I said Hoboken was basically part of NY. :haw:

Barry posted:

I always see you recommending hanging out with goons. Maybe goons have collectively mellowed with age and my stereotype information is old but the last thing I'd ever want to do while traveling is roll the dice and end up hanging out with weirdo goons.

If you're on a six week deployment maybe even weirdos are better than being endlessly lonely or sitting at the hotel bar hoping someone will talk to you.

I've had beers with a few goons. It's true that we're all weirdos in some way, but the ones I've met were pretty chill.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 15, 2017

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I've met shitloads of goons while traveling to different cities and they've all been somewhere between cool and awesome to hang out with. I recommend it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

I'm pretty sure all the goons in the NYC thread hate me after I said Hoboken was basically part of NY. :haw:

hosed up

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

I love my Delsey suitcase, but its starting to show its age a little bit. I plan on picking up a Rimowa while in Germany this Christmas.

Speaking of Germany, I could use suggestions on poo poo to do in Berlin since my only experiences so far have been in Bavaria and the Nurburgring. I plan on doing the obvious like the Brandenburg Gate and Berlin Wall, as well as a couple Christkindlmarkts, the German Technology museum, and a couple of beer tours. Anything else that I should look into while I'm in that part of Germany?

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 15, 2017

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DJCobol posted:

I love my Delsey suitcase, but its starting to show its age a little bit. I plan on picking up a Rimowa while in Germany this Christmas.

Speaking of Germany, I could use suggestions on poo poo to do in Berlin since my only experiences so far have been in Bavaria and the Nurburgring. I plan on doing the obvious like the Brandenburg Gate and Berlin Wall, as well as a couple Christkindlmarkts, the German Technology museum, and a couple of beer tours. Anything else that I should look into while I'm in that part of Germany?

I was there for a day in 2015 and went to Five Elephant Coffee (a nice walk from Kottbusser Tor U-bahn), pretty much walked from there to the Computerspielemuseum (computer game museum), had a fun couple hours there, then hung out at the James June biergarten next door. It's not high-octane tourist Fun per se, but I enjoyed the slower pace.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
enjoyed the Deutsches Historiches Museum, the Bundestag (must book in advance, free), and Ritter Sport World of Chocolate. The chocolate and churros at the last stop were amazing.

If you are into WW2, the Topography of Terror museum near Checkpoint Charlie is really intense. Good Syrian casual restaurant around the corner from that too. Enjoyed taking the 100/200 city bus on the top floor as a cheap way to see the city (i.e. not paying for overpriced hop on/off tourist buses)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Barry posted:

Man that's some lost in translation levels of loneliness except everyone speaks English and you aren't in a foreign country.

If you don't like goons you can try couch surfing meet up groups. NYC might be a bit of a miss because of all the transients coming in all the time.

There's also meetup.com and you can sign up for some activity group.

But hey at least you are in NYC. You can go out to the suburbs or for weekends take a bus to dc or Boston or anywhere in the eastern corridor.

Beats being stuck in a factory town out in the mid west or sticks of china

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

NYC poster: When I was in Minne for two months M-F I joined a rec league and made friends that way. It's structured, there's usually drinking, and a lot of people on my team were just meeting each other anyway. I also was in a 6 wk dance class but everyone just went home afterwards.

Berlin poster: There's a really cool market with a ton of GREAT street food and wine: https://www.facebook.com/StreetFoodThursday/

Both cities: the New Museum (contemporary art) in NY and the Neues Museum (Ancient History & Egyptian - home of the Nefertiti bust) in Berlin are both cool.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I was there for a day in 2015 and went to Five Elephant Coffee (a nice walk from Kottbusser Tor U-bahn), pretty much walked from there to the Computerspielemuseum (computer game museum), had a fun couple hours there, then hung out at the James June biergarten next door. It's not high-octane tourist Fun per se, but I enjoyed the slower pace.
Beer garden and computer games? You're speaking my language!

Mandalay posted:

enjoyed the Deutsches Historiches Museum, the Bundestag (must book in advance, free), and Ritter Sport World of Chocolate. The chocolate and churros at the last stop were amazing.

If you are into WW2, the Topography of Terror museum near Checkpoint Charlie is really intense. Good Syrian casual restaurant around the corner from that too. Enjoyed taking the 100/200 city bus on the top floor as a cheap way to see the city (i.e. not paying for overpriced hop on/off tourist buses)
Adding those museums as well. I was also thinking about renting a car for a day so I could go out to Sachsenhausen (although it looks like the S-bahn would get me there too).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

New York? How much can you expense? Food and exercise alone would keep me busy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have a $50/day per diem. It used to be $70 for NY, but they made it so all cities are the base rate.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

caberham posted:

DJCobol posted:

Do itttttt. I love my Rimowa Salsa Deluxe, and I'm thinking I'm going to pick up 2x Topas for checked luggage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

kimcicle posted:

Do itttttt. I love my Rimowa Salsa Deluxe, and I'm thinking I'm going to pick up 2x Topas for checked luggage.

I'm leaning towards the Salsa Ultralight carryon. That Topas looks like it could be used as a weapon!