Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

Ever gain made in America in the past 100 years is hanging by a loving thread, and there's no one trying to save it. People a few pages back were complaining about people not voting for Clinton, inequality went up under Obama. Clinton wouldn't have stopped this, she would've at best delayed it a bit. and when it falls, guess what, we are all still alive. The people talking about how they were gonna die under Trump were indulging in childish fantasy that society would end along with them. We will live through this, and life will just be lovely for us all. Nothing ends, America doesn't collapse, it just gets lovely, and we live our lovely lives in it until we die older than any of us wanna think about, but still younger than we should be

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Oops, you didn't end your nihilism with LMBO so you get dinged! Night crew! LOL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Epic High Five posted:

Correct, and just like how most people on food stamps and welfare and disability are rural white single moms, nobody will believe it except for some dorky statistics majors who spend all day yelling at clouds

hey, im pretty happy the gop has not destroyed fafsa yet

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

Correct, and just like how most people on food stamps and welfare and disability are rural white single moms, nobody will believe it except for some dorky statistics majors who spend all day yelling at clouds

a welfare queen for the new century

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

AHAHAAHAHAHAHahahahahahahahahahahahaha *dies*

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

We're ripping up our renewable infrastructure at the same time they're investing in it bigly. We backed the right horse during the industrial revoltuion, but this time it's our turn to be exploited as we die to heroin overdoses shipped in from overseas with the blessing of our elites who want to milk us for everything we have

...but we'll get back the coal mining jobs right?

RIGHT?! :ohdear:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

Employers check credit scores. If the economy gets hosed again, and people with college debt can't get jobs and miss payments, then they'll be unemplyable forever.

Everything is so loving bad, oh my god

we are facing a hiring freeze and collapse because of standards set by the boomers and gen x peeps willingly shoving loans down their throats to get pieces of paper that they largely don't remember the education behind and it's gonna own when the entirety of skilled labor collapses because work experience doesn't translate as well on a resume as a degree

I've been laid off twice from companies that promised to pay for a two-year in tech because of budget constrictions and didn't get hired at several new jobs because a 35-y/o who needs help setting up his email on his phone got my job with a BA in obsolete computer science and zero experience working in managed services for companies

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Al! posted:

lol when
the most apparent event horizon towards that right now is when america defaults and is no longer able to borrow

in the long term, our GDP will end up being as good as how much the proles are paid and there's no optimistic outlook on that here.

Addamere posted:

If you're going to go the doomsaying route then at least be a pragmatic doomsayer: if, as you say, everything is going to hell in a handbasket, then history shows us that defunding the military is like the last thing an oppressive government would do.
when things get to that point they never seem to recover economically

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the most apparent event horizon towards that right now is when america defaults and is no longer able to borrow

in the long term, our GDP will end up being as good as how much the proles are paid and there's no optimistic outlook on that here.

no i mean i was laughing at "when" and not "now that"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I am so, so insanely happy that I got out of the private sector before TRUMP took over

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

AHAHAAHAHAHAHahahahahahahahahahahahaha *dies*

this is the ideal male body

you may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Al! posted:

no i mean i was laughing at "when" and not "now that"
:hai:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

when things get to that point they never seem to recover economically

plenty of latin american and middle eastern countries have gone through multiple coups over the past century and recovered just fine, though i mean i guess i see your point in trying to apply that logic to the largest gdp in the world

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Jazerus posted:

like a fundamental part of the current abusiveness in the american employment dynamic is that a bunch of small protections have either been stripped away or simply were never created when they needed to be as technology and society changed, due to right-wing and neoliberal interference in regulatory agencies

there's a light at the end of the tunnel because millenials are having absolutely none of this poo poo

turns out an issue with churning out a well-educated, digitally-adept workforce is that they're entirely mobile in ways unseen in previous generations and the company loyalty that was abused in previous generations doesn't exist

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Business Gorillas posted:

there's a light at the end of the tunnel because millenials are having absolutely none of this poo poo

turns out an issue with churning out a well-educated, digitally-adept workforce is that they're entirely mobile in ways unseen in previous generations and the company loyalty that was abused in previous generations doesn't exist

White Millennials voted for Trump by a very comfy margin

e - and they were the only ones voting for Johnson and Stein as well

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Addamere posted:

realpolitik realtalk: legitimacy is and always has been the lie people with power or the appearance of same tell to each other and agree to repeat

there is a really great game of thrones quote about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuyouZVeiUM

VARYS: A thousand blades taken from the hands of Aegon's fallen enemies, forged int he fiery breath of Balerion the Dread.

LITTLEFINGER: There aren't a thousand blades. There aren't even two hundred. I've counted.

VARYS: I'm sure you have. Ugly little thing.

LITTLEFINGER: Yet it has a certain appeal.

VARYS: I did what I did for the good of the realm.

LITTLEFINGER: The realm! Do you know what the realm is? It's the thousand blades of Aegon's enemies A story we agree to tell each other over and over until we forget that it's a lie.

I think this is the scene you're thinking of-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG1BUXW1-E4

Both are good though.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

gently caress these people god drat. spend one day talking to normal people and nobody loving believes this poo poo. line these fuckers against the wall.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thats even the point of company loyalty when pensions dont exist

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

logikv9 posted:

Prediction: the future belongs to Australia

ever read on the beach

i mean On The Beach, not on the beach

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Addamere posted:

plenty of latin american and middle eastern countries have gone through multiple coups over the past century and recovered just fine, though i mean i guess i see your point in trying to apply that logic to the largest gdp in the world
keyword is "coups" where two significant power structures are clashing, not a fascist-state that's complicit from the top down, like russia. there's no saving russia at this point

but yeah, who the gently caress is going to revive our GDP? :circlefap:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

thecluckmeme posted:

we are facing a hiring freeze and collapse because of standards set by the boomers and gen x peeps willingly shoving loans down their throats to get pieces of paper that they largely don't remember the education behind and it's gonna own when the entirety of skilled labor collapses because work experience doesn't translate as well on a resume as a degree

I've been laid off twice from companies that promised to pay for a two-year in tech because of budget constrictions and didn't get hired at several new jobs because a 35-y/o who needs help setting up his email on his phone got my job with a BA in obsolete computer science and zero experience working in managed services for companies

this is the market unironically working

you company has self-selected itself out of the gene pool, congrats lol

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

I am so, so insanely happy that I got out of the private sector before TRUMP took over

I don't really foresee the public sector being much more stable since the austerity party is in nearly absolute power

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/863965720253681664

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Well educated, digitally adept millennials in blue states are proposing turning homeless people into wifi hotposts

They aren't going to save poo poo. The best thing we can hope for is that they all meet ruin under Trump when the VC bubble pops

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

well you can't rape your wife so i guess you can't rape your daughter either, checks out

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

jezza looks toasted, sure he didn't share?

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Zas posted:

oh man the time is so right for more twin peaks

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

MadJackal posted:

Oops, you didn't end your nihilism with LMBO so you get dinged! Night crew! LOL!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fullhouse posted:

I don't really foresee the public sector being much more stable since the austerity party is in nearly absolute power

I worked for private industry under the so-called welfare party being in charge and it was a poo poo storm of staff cuts and austerity while the C-suite got million dollar raises year after year.

The org I work for now is big enough to buy politicians so I should be fine, and if I'm not (and I'm absolutely planning for worst case scenario mind you) then I'll at least be better off than I would've been in the private sector

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

White Millennials voted for Trump by a very comfy margin

e - and they were the only ones voting for Johnson and Stein as well

i mean right now you're seeing it in the top companies offering their own little fiefdoms of benefits packages and the like but they can't hire everyone

the point i'm trying to make is that millenials are getting hosed and, more importantly, they know they're getting hosed, so companies have to give competitive benefits because if they don't they die

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

Well educated, digitally adept millennials in blue states are proposing turning homeless people into wifi hotposts

They aren't going to save poo poo. The best thing we can hope for is that they all meet ruin under Trump when the VC bubble pops

Millennials are like everyone else but slightly different, there are a handful of broad trends but people are still people and communities still have their own character, as a millennial working a blue collar heavy industry job I see guys my age all day who sure as gently caress wouldn't fit in with Lena Dunham or zuck or whoever else we're supposed to be

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

this is the market unironically working

you company has self-selected itself out of the gene pool, congrats lol

multiple

multiple jobs

this industry is full of loving idiots

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Now look, I am not a father. I do not have any daughters to call my own, but is this something you would say to some random person about your daughter??

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

i mean right now you're seeing it in the top companies offering their own little fiefdoms of benefits packages and the like but they can't hire everyone

the point i'm trying to make is that millenials are getting hosed and, more importantly, they know they're getting hosed, so companies have to give competitive benefits because if they don't they die

Or just nobody offers them and all their employees work side jobs to make ends meet and just resign themselves to never actually retiring

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

a.lo posted:

Now look, I am not a father. I do not have any daughters to call my own, but is this something you would say to some random person about your daughter??

being a father is the final cuckening

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

petition to have dads renamed parentcucks

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

Or just nobody offers them and all their employees work side jobs to make ends meet and just resign themselves to never actually retiring

I feel like a lot of the ppl I know with elaborate side hustles are the ppl whose grandad had elaborate side hustles, we never worked twenty years to a posh union retirement on the assembly line in the South lol

• Locked thread