Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I was making a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Snak posted:

Hitman is just assassin's creed with a modern setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DalyjFKBHvI

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This a serious thread for serious opinions

There's nothing for you here

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
HZD has as many "icons to hunt" as less than a quarter of the average Ubisoft collectathon and the cauldrons, trials, and vantage points are drat cool instead of forgettable things you just pick up. The mugs and flowers are forgettable but skippable and the flowers all have poems written on them.

It's not a perfect game but man the collecting aspect is not part of its problems. That'd be like complaining about all the things to find in New Vegas.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The vantage point story was good, and I didn't know there was more text when you picked them up beyond the audio recordings until like the fifth one. I don't normally read the book items in most games but those ones were worthwhile

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I also really like that collectibles aren't marked precisely and are marked as an area. It cuts down on the "go directly to the icon" aspect that made asscreed get boring.

Edit: ^yeah, I didn't know about the text until it was mentioned in the thread, and reading it completely reversed my opinion of them as a collectable.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

My friend just told me Hitman s2 is cancelled and square Enix are selling the studio 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Depends on who keeps the IP but idk why SE would sell it most companies try to hoard IP even if they dont use it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm pretty sure IO said they still have the Hitman IP in a tweet, unless I'm just making poo poo up in my head again.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm pretty sure IO said they still have the Hitman IP in a tweet, unless I'm just making poo poo up in my head again.

That was a rumor tweet afaik and not official

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Guillermus posted:

I got Armored Cored 4A for my 360 a few months ago and it's really rough around but fun. I'm sure that FROM can make a great robot fighting game with current tech and experience from their more recent releases.

Something like a guy in an exosuit moving really fast, hitting and shooting poo poo that also has tentacles, Vanquish vs Lovecraftian creatures.

From somehow got the idea that moving super fast is what AC was about now and made three of the worst games in the series for the PS3 era. I really hope they step back from that going forward if they revive the IP. And hopefully go back to Ravens.

Thankfully for Answer lucked out by being not only solid but by Another Age and Nine Breaker being pretty tragic.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, and a focus on assassination all the way through which AC kinda drifted away from for a while.

that was really just AC4, tbh since it became a pirating game

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

bloodychill posted:

HZD has as many "icons to hunt" as less than a quarter of the average Ubisoft collectathon and the cauldrons, trials, and vantage points are drat cool instead of forgettable things you just pick up. The mugs and flowers are forgettable but skippable and the flowers all have poems written on them.

It's not a perfect game but man the collecting aspect is not part of its problems. That'd be like complaining about all the things to find in New Vegas.

I liked that they were fewer and more significant.

But I am bewildered that they are not helpful without a set. You cant explore a bit if you feel like it and be rewarded. You have to be in for a long icon hunt to get any reward. Which is just terrible.

I loved everyone about horizon that wasn't open world. The open world was bandaged over Ubisoft bullshit. I wish it was all cauldrons and story mission.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They really aren't helpful after you turn the set in either. The rewards are crap.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

exploded mummy posted:

that was really just AC4, tbh since it became a pirating game

But AC4 had some pretty fun assassin contracts. I love that game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I probably wouldn't have gotten all the cups or flowers except that the platinum seemed relatively doable. I am really glad that there wasn't a trophy for picking up every audio log

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

They really aren't helpful after you turn the set in either. The rewards are crap.
I got them cause I just liked going and finding them but reward in general is not something HZD is good at. Buy purple weapons, slap purple mods on them, and you're about as powerful as you're ever gonna be. It's not a huge deal because the combat is such a good experience (to most people) but this is something other games have managed to make feel better.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The vantage point story was good, and I didn't know there was more text when you picked them up beyond the audio recordings until like the fifth one. I don't normally read the book items in most games but those ones were worthwhile

I'm not surprised that the writer for Honest Hearts worked on this because the text logs are really reminiscent of the Survivalist's journals.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I wandered around HZD just finding random stuff but not putting in effort when it came to collectables. By the time I was mid game I had bought all the purple gear I could need and was making GBS threads on everything the game could throw at me. I didn't realise the collectables unlocked anything else of note since I felt like I was already off the hook power wise.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

veni veni veni posted:

Where did you get prescribed your placebo? maybe it could help me convince myself I'm seeing things that aren't real like you are able to. Or does best buy just give you a free bottle every time you spend $1000?

No but seriously have you gone to the optometrist lately? My dad acted all defensive like you too when his sight/hearing started to go.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

JBP posted:

I wandered around HZD just finding random stuff but not putting in effort when it came to collectables. By the time I was mid game I had bought all the purple gear I could need and was making GBS threads on everything the game could throw at me. I didn't realise the collectables unlocked anything else of note since I felt like I was already off the hook power wise.

I definitely had effectively infinite money way earlier in that game then most games.

After stealth armor and a combat armor and the good weapons. What are you supposed to buy?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

No but seriously have you gone to the optometrist lately? My dad acted all defensive like you too when his sight/hearing started to go.

Maybe I screwed up by viewing it on a TV. I'll try taking a picture of the glorious pro graphics on my phone from 15 feet away and maybe that'll help me see the difference.

E: but seriously, it is a nice piece of hardware I got no regrets.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 15, 2017

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

bloodychill posted:

You could actually say the exact same thing about any AC game but replace cauldrons, trials and vantage points with assassin tombs, contracts, sunken treasure chests etc etc

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's true, but on top of that, asscreed has like 4 other types of collectibles of which there are like 50 each.

I don't really have a beef with that, but I have to turn off the minimap to enjoy the game.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bombadilillo posted:

After stealth armor and a combat armor and the good weapons. What are you supposed to buy?
Metal Wire, and Health Pots because lol gently caress hunting for that one type of meat you never have enough of.

But yeah the item-progression was basically like ok struggle with boring white-blue garbage bows that weren't that exciting, get to Carja as soon as you can and buy bad rear end purple weapons/armor so you can begin having fun, and then a bit later you get purple mods and there theres not much difference between a couple %

Don't get me wrong I'm glad it works like that, I wasn't having much fun up until i got to Carja when I could buy the purple weapons (on Hard anyways), so having the best tools right away was smart and basically got me more interested in the gameplay at that point. But there were probably better ways to handle the equipment system in general.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 15, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The side stuff was better than creed or whatever to me, because aside from the flowers and cups everything was interestingly designed. The world is so meticulously crafted that almost all the places it brought me felt worth checking out in some capacity. The game is great in the visual story telling dept. which is pretty much my favorite thing. Even the flowers and cups will bring you to some cool places on the map you might otherwise miss, but I still would consider them totally skippable.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Is Dragon Quest Heroes and or Dragon Quest Heroes 2 any good?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I liked the metal flowers cause you could spot them by the triangle of real flowers from a distance. The cups sucked except that's actually a decent enough joke for a game and the collector sounded like Will Forte.

Is there ever any explanation of what the metal flowers were, who put them there, why they have lyrics?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There is! It's a story spoiler.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

mutata posted:

There is! It's a main quest story spoiler.
Ok, figured it must be further in the main quest once it didn't come up when I got them all.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Any idea when the Bioshock collection will go on sale again?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Nioh DLC is super good. I would have paid 15 bucks for it by itself.

I almost thought to myself "From did it again, the dlc area is the beat in the game" then I was like "oh right, not From"

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

In Horizon ZD, the only collectibles you really "need" are the Metal Flowers. The rest are just extra, mostly pointless, and take forever. Other than that, do all the side missions and the story missions, and it moves along at a pretty good pace. (Always do the side missions before the main story missions.)

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Crows Turn Off posted:

In Horizon ZD, the only collectibles you really "need" are the Metal Flowers.

You don't "need" any of them, flowers included.

All the collectables have some story in them, though it's not immediately obvious what they are. But none of them are required. It's good flavor, though.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Snak posted:

Nioh DLC is super good. I would have paid 15 bucks for it by itself.

I almost thought to myself "From did it again, the dlc area is the beat in the game" then I was like "oh right, not From"

That's good news. I bought the season pass. I was going to wait for a couple to jump back in. How many dlc's total are coming?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think it says 3 total.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

In Horizon ZD, the only collectibles you really "need" are the Metal Flowers. The rest are just extra, mostly pointless, and take forever. Other than that, do all the side missions and the story missions, and it moves along at a pretty good pace. (Always do the side missions before the main story missions.)

What do you mean? There are only 3 collectables and you don't need any of them but the vantages feel the most substantial imo. and none of them take very long. Flowers being the most time consuming by a long shot.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Snak posted:

I think it says 3 total.

Yeah this one is the intro to the new region/plot (lol) essentially, then it goes to Osaka for two DLC's during a big battle. DLC 1 is really good, I'm hoping they can ramp it up into the next couple.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Horizon: Zero Dawn only has one significant flaw, but it is a very big, potentially crippling one.

So we must turn to fanart to rectify it

https://twitter.com/CritterOfHabit/status/863189792187531264

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Mordiceius posted:

Is Dragon Quest Heroes and or Dragon Quest Heroes 2 any good?

How do you like the Dragon Quest feel in general? 1 was kinda fun from the characters and dialog, the character action was good, but the maps and enemies were pretty boring, and missions bogged down into boring slogs to do some pretty weak tea collection. Haven't checked out the new one yet, which some reviewers put as a step forward and some as a step back. There are demos, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Wandle Cax posted:

You could actually say the exact same thing about any AC game but replace cauldrons, trials and vantage points with assassin tombs, contracts, sunken treasure chests etc etc

By the time you see your first HZD collectible, it's 3 hours in and there are roughly 10 in that entire section of the map, half of which are interesting. After an hour of AC, the game will have vomited 30 icons at me and 2-3 of them are interesting. AC really needs to aim for quality over quantity next time around.