Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
:yikes:

That's like the poster child for not riding a bigger bike than you can handle, and having some self control (which I always keep with me on my keyring). What a nightmare of a video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
In less grisly crashes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhlzbInE0Lo
Things to avoid while on track: Dirt!

I knew I was pushing it too hard in that corner, the little crest was enough make my stomach go "nope!"

Duping this because new page and to leave that other poo poo behind.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

ilkhan posted:

I knew I was pushing it too hard in that corner, the little crest was enough make my stomach go "nope!"

Good job keeping it upright.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
*pauses video when leg is a few feet off the ground, pointing mostly upwards*

the ol' razzle dazzle

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

ilkhan posted:

I really think you should have committed and pushed harder on your bars

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Podfilters.jpg

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

For the authentic experience of your vintage bike failing in unexpected ways.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Cindy Shitbird posted:

*pauses video when leg is a few feet off the ground, pointing mostly upwards*

the ol' razzle dazzle
I did stay upright. If you really want the full vid back to the paddock I'll show it. Its just boring once you're already stopped.

EX250 Type R posted:

Probably. But I'd already done the same drat thing earlier in the day when I thought I was gonna drop over that crest and made it through and wasn't gonna push my luck there again.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Take a wider line to get apex near the curb and or watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Wx4YrZ55I

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Gullous posted:

Yeah, just takes time. I've only been riding for 6 weeks. 😃

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ilkhan posted:

I did stay upright. If you really want the full vid back to the paddock I'll show it. Its just boring once you're already stopped.

I as referring to the severed leg in that horrible other video. Good job backing off safely, though! Could have been infinitely worse.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Gullous posted:

This thing looks like it was filmed by the Shaw Brothers, down to the old man Pai Mei goatee poo poo. Still a good view for new riders though.

R-Type fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 15, 2017

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

This was Thunderhill West? Were you there with Can Akkaya?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Ask someone at the track to help you with how and where to shift

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

nsaP posted:

Ask someone at the track to help you with how and where to shift
That I know too. I spent way too much time a gear above where I should have been, too. But at least that was deliberate.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

ilkhan posted:

That I know too. I spent way too much time a gear above where I should have been, too. But at least that was deliberate.

You're over-revving it while shifting up, try to lower the revs a bit so your clutch plate doesn't have to fix your mistakes.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Any issues w/ doing clutchless upshifts on the track?

tjones
May 13, 2005

Jazzzzz posted:

Any issues w/ doing clutchless upshifts on the track?

Are you asking him or the thread in general?

I feel like quick shifters are cheap enough that if you are wanting to shift without clutching you might as well go the whole way so you minimize the possibility of loving up a dog or fork and gain the ability to run flat out through the gears.

But I'd recommend anyone master normal shifting first before thinking of moving to anything else. Clutches are cheaper than transmission rebuilds.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Was more of a general question. If he's over revving on upshift because he's just pulling the clutch and not getting off the gas, clutchless upshifts would force rolling off the throttle. I suppose if you really gently caress up you could bend a fork, but I was wondering more if there were any implications for traction or upsetting the chassis if you're rolling off and back on at high speed and not smoothing things out with the clutch.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Jazzzzz posted:

Was more of a general question. If he's over revving on upshift because he's just pulling the clutch and not getting off the gas, clutchless upshifts would force rolling off the throttle. I suppose if you really gently caress up you could bend a fork, but I was wondering more if there were any implications for traction or upsetting the chassis if you're rolling off and back on at high speed and not smoothing things out with the clutch.

Gotcha. I can't comment there as I use the clutch all the time.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Hammering the next gear in while the revs are high sounds pretty dangerous, I'd say practice clutchless shifting on the street at the mid-rpm range.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

You're over-revving it while shifting up, try to lower the revs a bit so your clutch plate doesn't have to fix your mistakes.
I noted it at the time as something to work on. I was having trouble reaching the levers and the whole range of throttle position without moving my hand position. I'll figure it out.

FWIW this is the whole of the 3rd session, which felt (overall, there were still bad parts) much smoother to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBJpOeQKoOo

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Tangentially related: Is gentle slip-shifting on the street generally safe? I notice a lot of driveline slack in my bike when I slip up (chain is properly adjusted), so I generally don't do it because it feels weird to me. Is slipping down possible too?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Fifty Three posted:

Is slipping down possible too?

Yes, except instead of rolling off the throttle you blip it to unload the transmission and rev match while you downshift. For me, it's a lot harder to get the timing right.

Upshift: load shift lever, roll off throttle, higher gear clicks into place, back on throttle

Downshift: load shift lever, blip throttle, lower gear clicks into place, roll back off throttle if you're still trying to decelerate

If you gently caress up (and don't have a slipper clutch), you're probably going to get some wheel hop.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I rode home about 45 minutes with no clutch once, I think you can do it with very little stress on the transmission if you're careful with the throttle. But why?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I rode home about 45 minutes with no clutch once, I think you can do it with very little stress on the transmission if you're careful with the throttle. But why?

sometimes you get stuck behind some car and you gotta ride sassy with your hand on your left hip

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Sometimes I get stuck in stop-and-go traffic and the grip in my left hand starts to get weak. Slipping up in those situations is slightly preferable. v:shobon:v

EX250 Type R posted:

sometimes you get stuck behind some car and you gotta ride sassy with your hand on your left hip
Also this.

Thanks for the refresher on slipping. That's how I've done it, I was just confirming that it can be done with little stress to the driveline. Once again, the general mantra of "have some mechanical sympathy and you're fine" rings true.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I may be completely wrong here, but if you gently caress this up (especially downshifting) you can wreck your transmission at most or greatly accelerate the wear and limit the life span at the least.

I can't see a good reason to do this with a working clutch.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

The best exhaust mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yncCNEDFsP4&t=46s

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

You'd have to either have the most delicate gearbox on the planet* or ankles like Ozymandias to damage your gearbox with a clutchless upshift.

Every racer on Earth does them (apart from in formulas that allow quickshifters) specifically because it upsets the bike less than using the clutch - done properly they're drat-near seamless. They're even taught in most advanced road-riding courses simply because of how much smoother they are than clutched upshifts.

* helical-cut boxes apparently do wear out quicker with clutchless shifting but you're talking about 80,000 miles rather than 100,000 miles out of them, something else is going to break way before that.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

tjones posted:

I may be completely wrong here, but if you gently caress this up (especially downshifting) you can wreck your transmission at most or greatly accelerate the wear and limit the life span at the least.

I can't see a good reason to do this with a working clutch.

Don't clutchless down-shift, there's no real excuse for that apart from actual clutch failure.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

EX250 Type R posted:

Yeah I agree, this was a bit of target fixation. From your lean angle on the previous turn it's clear you're new to the track thing though, so all good!

And if there's anywhere to clutchless upshift, it's on the track. Since you're revving higher, it means it easier and faster to get cogs to line up, and your shifts are a lot smoother and easier than lower down in the rev range (similar to a quickshifter really). But worry about that when you've gotten more comfortable with the track, it does free up your left hand to worry about other things.

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 15, 2017

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Not a bike but it's actually this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieJUP9O9RG8

tjones
May 13, 2005
I'm partial to this. Pretty sure it's a repost, but:

https://youtu.be/ycfnPIH0yV0

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Barnsy posted:

Yeah I agree, this was a bit of target fixation. From your lean angle on the previous turn it's clear you're new to the track thing though, so all good!

And if there's anywhere to clutchless upshift, it's on the track. Since you're revving higher, it means it easier and faster to get cogs to line up, and your shifts are a lot smoother and easier than lower down in the rev range (similar to a quickshifter really). But worry about that when you've gotten more comfortable with the track, it does free up your left hand to worry about other things.
I've been riding for 6 weeks. :)

Better to start with good habits than have to erase bad ones.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Wow, that's the freshest newbie I've ever seen on the track. Good on ya, just be careful.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Go take a couple classes.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Not gonna lie this looks fun.

https://twitter.com/c0rnhead/status/863719849976975361/video/1

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
It looks like they're riding toilets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Lol