Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Few questions:

How's the end game PvE content?
What's the twitchiest class?
What's the easiest class to level?
Is this game worth getting into at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Benson Cunningham posted:

Few questions:

1: Actual end game pve is pretty decent I feel. But keep in mind you're automatically level adjusted to each map, so every bit of content you didn't clear while leveling becomes end game. And honestly a lot of that content is pretty ok.

2: Anytime you eat 10% dmg increase while moving food is really twitchy. But uh, thief, ele and mesmer can be twitchy as they have very low hp/armor and a lot of tricks to get away. And need them.

3: I dunno, base game is free with limitations. Try it out!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Few questions:

In its toddler years, but developing well with high prospects.

Engineer for skills, Thief for dodging

Any Non-Mesmer. Probably Warrior.

Very, especially Free to play, which will give you enough to do before the expansion, but I'd say $25 for HoT is quite worth it.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Could someone post a current Minion Master build for my Necro? I just started HOT after boosting him and I want to walk through all of the content with zero effort thanks in advance I love you.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just take RISE and Nova and you'll be good.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

Could someone post a current Minion Master build for my Necro? I just started HOT after boosting him and I want to walk through all of the content with zero effort thanks in advance I love you.

I used pretty much exactly this meta build
https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Reaper_-_Greatsword/X
this as my bars:

honestly you can use whatever minions you want, shadow fiend looks cool but doesn't do anything special afaik, bone fiend can hit breakbars a little, the flesh worm gives you a teleport. Lich form lets you basically use a second Rise for hilarious amounts of small minions that all explode super hard when they die if you can stand giving up flesh golem for it.

E If you don't have the hero points for all the HoT stuff yet, consider staff and dagger/warhorn for weapons, swap rise for another minion, and do whatever with your third specialization. I would swap staff for GS as soon as you get reaper specialization even if you don't have poo poo for traits though, GS 2 really is that good.

The basic idea is run in, hit gs 2, reaper shroud, hit 5, hit 4, everything is dead. if everything isn't fully dead then use greatsword 2 and pretend to be useful using whatever abilities look coolest until one of those things refreshes. you almost can't die since you have 2 giant health bars and healing minions. only falling a million feet and getting rolled over by certain HoT mobs ever posed a threat.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 12, 2017

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I just finished Head of the Snake.

Why are all the boss fights in this game so ungodly terrible? I have never been through a more tedious experience probably ever.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Sorrows Embrace Story Mode has a rather fun boss.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

GW2 bosses often have a thing where you need to figure out it's gimmick (throw shards to stun then damage etc) but then have do do it 6-7 more times, when it should just be 2-3 at most, or the gimmick itself should keep changing (like after the first time he puts up a shield so you have to hit him from behind).

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 12, 2017

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
On endgame content: in the past, I have said raiding is dumb for gw2 and it's casual friendly player base. I still believe that. But, that said, I wound up doing Bastion of the Petient last night and had a lot of fun. I thought it was well designed.

It helped that I got yanked in to fill a spot in a stable group when one of their duders didn't show and a chrono (any chrono!) was needed. And I am good at not standing in red circles/moving to green circles/dodging, which seemed to go pretty far to counter my lazy casual non optimized dps.

So, if you are someone who likes raiding, I think you will like the gw2 raiding endgame.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

welcome to the world of rp

not pictured: rpers (they left)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ralph pls go

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Erdricks posted:

On endgame content: in the past, I have said raiding is dumb for gw2 and it's casual friendly player base. I still believe that. But, that said, I wound up doing Bastion of the Petient last night and had a lot of fun. I thought it was well designed.

It helped that I got yanked in to fill a spot in a stable group when one of their duders didn't show and a chrono (any chrono!) was needed. And I am good at not standing in red circles/moving to green circles/dodging, which seemed to go pretty far to counter my lazy casual non optimized dps.

So, if you are someone who likes raiding, I think you will like the gw2 raiding endgame.

Random rumor: Bastion of the Penitent was designed to be a compromise between the hardest end-game content and being new-raider friendly, only because of some edict from above. The original design basically had the Challenge Motes as the normal fights, and sometimes even harder, i.e. the reason Mursaat Overseer is such a punching bag.

I also feel the final product is much better because of this, even if it cost the challenge modes from being more rewarding.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Avalerion posted:

GW2 bosses often have a thing where you need to figure out it's gimmick (throw shards to stun then damage etc) but then have do do it 6-7 more times, when it should just be 2-3 at most, or the gimmick itself should keep changing (like after the first time he puts up a shield so you have to hit him from behind).

Never did this feel more true to me than the other night when I tried killing the coalescence. Chasing the thing around the map for ten minutes only to fail in the end.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

Jinh posted:

I used pretty much exactly this meta build
https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Reaper_-_Greatsword/X
this as my bars:

honestly you can use whatever minions you want, shadow fiend looks cool but doesn't do anything special afaik, bone fiend can hit breakbars a little, the flesh worm gives you a teleport. Lich form lets you basically use a second Rise for hilarious amounts of small minions that all explode super hard when they die if you can stand giving up flesh golem for it.

E If you don't have the hero points for all the HoT stuff yet, consider staff and dagger/warhorn for weapons, swap rise for another minion, and do whatever with your third specialization. I would swap staff for GS as soon as you get reaper specialization even if you don't have poo poo for traits though, GS 2 really is that good.

The basic idea is run in, hit gs 2, reaper shroud, hit 5, hit 4, everything is dead. if everything isn't fully dead then use greatsword 2 and pretend to be useful using whatever abilities look coolest until one of those things refreshes. you almost can't die since you have 2 giant health bars and healing minions. only falling a million feet and getting rolled over by certain HoT mobs ever posed a threat.

Thanks for this. Gonna try it out.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

They made Victory or Death worse somehow

Instead of pressing 3 once to aim the turret and then spamming 2, it's pre-aimed for you and the only button is 1, to fire

Casuals!!!!!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That'll make it easier to furiously masturbate during that fight, thanks ArenaNet and Tivac!

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
4 years in, your weird fetishes still manage to surprise me Arus.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DonVincenzo posted:

4 years in, your weird fetishes still manage to surprise me Arus.

That sounds like a you problem, mate

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

Random rumor: Bastion of the Penitent was designed to be a compromise between the hardest end-game content and being new-raider friendly, only because of some edict from above. The original design basically had the Challenge Motes as the normal fights, and sometimes even harder, i.e. the reason Mursaat Overseer is such a punching bag.

I also feel the final product is much better because of this, even if it cost the challenge modes from being more rewarding.

Thank God, I'd never run w4 if the challenge motes were the normal fights, simply because Cairn's CM mechanic is one of the most irritating boss mechanics I have ever seen

Context for non raiders, Cairn gives you a button that's a 1200 range targeted dash on a five second cool down. It's awesome! On CM if you don't use it every ten seconds, it shoots you straight forward uncontrollably. It's incredibly annoying.

Aug 24, 2011

Magres posted:

Thank God, I'd never run w4 if the challenge motes were the normal fights, simply because Cairn's CM mechanic is one of the most irritating boss mechanics I have ever seen

Context for non raiders, Cairn gives you a button that's a 1200 range targeted dash on a five second cool down. It's awesome! On CM if you don't use it every ten seconds, it shoots you straight forward uncontrollably. It's incredibly annoying.

all challenge modes should do that imo

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

TeaJay posted:

Biggest issue with TD is that the layout is so confusing. When you leave the first outpost, you'll more than likely end up in various underground passages filled with deadly mushrooms and jam-packed with other monsters, hopelessly lost trying to find your way to Teku Nuhoch. It should've been easier to make it to a central hub like TN where you can use the wallows to travel all over the map.

This exists, though! The map is mainly a 5-spoked wheel, and it's easy to get to the center.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

So I have not done any story stuff since like hot first came out, don't think I even completed it. Is it worth doing? Does trahern die eating a bag of dicks yet?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Trahearne was never as bad as people make him out to be. Especially if you play a sylvari character your character arc with him during the core campaign is actually pretty good. ESPECIALLY compared to the loving mooks they put in your "team" in the living story ('cept for Sylvari Bender. He's awesome).

central
Dec 13, 2003
sup free
Coming back after a long hiatus... just unlocked all the skills for chronomancer.

The builds on metabattle are categorized into raid or pvp. For now I plan on just continuing with the story and HoT map exploration. I'm looking for a good open-world chrono build that will get me used to the profession and will serve as a stepping stone towards one of the raid builds. Any advice?

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

TeaJay posted:

Trahearne was never as bad as people make him out to be.

Trahearne is boring but at least he isn't Braham! Please put both of them into a rocket ship and send them to Mars.

E: forgot about sending Logan to Mars too

dad on the rag fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 14, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

TeaJay posted:

Especially if you play a sylvari character your character arc with him during the core campaign is actually pretty good.

the problem there is that sylvari are only a single option out of a decent handful of them. the main story is kind of a sloppily hacked together mess

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

That'll make it easier to furiously masturbate during that fight, thanks ArenaNet and Tivac!

That's not how the authorities characterized the incident.

e. a word

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 14, 2017

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

where the red fern gropes posted:

welcome to the world of rp

not pictured: rpers (they left)

Sorry about your eventual 1-month ban for just standing there, doing nothing.

How dare you grief like that.

By standing there.

And doing nothing.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I assume the answer is no but is there a story mission that is worth farming?
I recall them changing how rewards work but I can't remember.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

I assume the answer is no but is there a story mission that is worth farming?
I recall them changing how rewards work but I can't remember.

Completing the first level 10 story step rewards you with a Black Lion key, but after the keyfarming of rushing new human commoner background alts through it (rip Lonk) they changed it so that you can only get the free key from the first step once a week, resetting at 8:30am UTC on Monday

So basically the answer to your question is no

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

That was such a bullshit change. If you don't remember, it used to be so that you could get a key every time and you could also do the personal story right from the get-go, not when you're level 10, like now. You could easily do it with starting gear, and people were doing highly optimized key runs (human commoner).

There was even a dev post at one point that the effort/reward - ratio of key farming wasn't big enough to warrant any actions, and then went and changed it anyway. I'm guessing it was a desperate attempt to boost key sales, but they know as well as the players that no one who did key farms would go "hmm, better start buying mah keys from the store now!"

RIP Key Farm Guy.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

That's a pretty cool name for an armour set.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I love that this game's endgame always boils down to pretty princessing. Even if you hate dudes, you gotta respect their looks.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

sabetha with ten thieves using dual quips

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/6ayras/sabetha_quip_challenge/

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rate my Rev.

I like mixing machines with nature but the colors are not exactly what I want.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Twink genie at a gay bar's annual costume party

Aug 24, 2011

Kessel posted:

Twink genie at a gay bar's annual costume party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Rate my Rev.

I like mixing machines with nature but the colors are not exactly what I want.

You look like the colour of my poo

• Locked thread