Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The Gunslinger posted:

The sort of weird PR groupthink that you can always find when companies make massive campuses and insulate themselves from their customers.

Stuffy Suit: OK, shitfuckers. The good news, we finally fixed the "Halt And Catch Fire" bug in Windows 10. The bad news, it's a 37 gig download that forces users to reboot eight times and deletes all their cat videos. We need to put a positive spin on this. Let's brainstorm, and remember, there are no bad ideas.

Microsoft Marketing Drone #1: The 'sunlight edition'. Motto: why not go outside for the next six hours?

Stuffy Suit: That's a horrible idea, you're fired.

MMD2: The Super Awesome edition. All the cool kids are downloading it!

SS: Fired.

MMD3: The hot dog edition. Roast weenies over your GPU!

SS: You're less fired than those other two.

MMD3: ..but still fired?

SS: Bingo.

MMD4: Um... er.... Windows Maker Edition? Because... we all like to make stuff?

SS: That's also horrible, but it's five minutes past five and I want to do blow off a hooker's rear end. Let's run with it.

Six weeks and fourteen focus groups later, the Maker Edition is rebranded the Creator Edition and released. MMD4 gets a lucite brick as an award, the first three are rehired at consultants at twice the pay, and Ballmer buys himself another gold-plated toilet seat. Everyone wins.... except the 943 million people who can't play their MOBAs for six hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Today the creator's update forced itself on me like a rapist in a dark alley. It finished installing, then when I restarted the computer later in the day it hung up on a black screen after bootup everytime without allowing me the option of choosing boot modes or windows repair.

I have to reformat. I'm so loving sick of Microsoft's stupid gently caress ups like this.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Got a weird random STOP/Bugcheck on boot up. I had just restarted after quickly dual-booting Mint to run its package updater, and the STOP happened about half a second after the Windows 10/Macrium Reflect selection screen. Booted fine on the restart, but still a bit worrying. Event Viewer thinks I didn't shut down Windows properly last shut down even though I did. CrystalDiskCheck says the hard drive is fine, and its a Western Digital I just installed it fresh a couple years ago anyway (yes, I was a moron who didn't upgrade to SSD when I had the chance).

Not looking for help, just posting the anecdote in case there really is a random STOP thing going around in Creator's.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

After getting back from shower, my HTPC had a message on screen asking me when to install Creators update: Restart now, Schedule restart, Snooze.
I'm just letting it install right away, even if it bombs there's nothing of value stored/installed on that machine.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Praise Allah that my HTPC is still running a sane MS OS: Windows 8.1 Pro.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nielsm posted:

After getting back from shower, my HTPC had a message on screen asking me when to install Creators update: Restart now, Schedule restart, Snooze.
I'm just letting it install right away, even if it bombs there's nothing of value stored/installed on that machine.

Trip report: Nothing interesting happened.
The update installed like a much larger regular monthly update package, except I got the pulsing "Hi!" screen after logging back in.
It pinned the Mail app to my taskbar, but otherwise did not touch anything pinned in my Start menu.
I think it added one new app, "Mixed Reality Experience" or something like that, but did not re-add any Candy Crush or similar advertising.
It's a Home edition and I have not done any "app hacking" with PowerShell or other tools.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Yeah they don't slip in apps like that on upgrades.

On a new/clean/zero-drive/whatever install, first-run apps are requested by those empty new app tiles on the Start menu. To avoid, disconnect the computer from the network before installing (or at least before it can finish the first stage and reboot) and in-pin them all before re-connecting.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Today the creator's update forced itself on me like a rapist in a dark alley.

:yikes: Your 2017 Hyper Bowl champion, ladies and gentlemen. :yikes:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I'm sorry for causing offence by my wording but having to reformat twice in as many weeks was irritating as hell. I barely just downloaded and recovered everything I had from the last time.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I'm sorry for causing offence by my wording but having to reformat twice in as many weeks was irritating as hell. I barely just downloaded and recovered everything I had from the last time.

There is a high chance you have something wrong with your hardware. Might be worth a look.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

redeyes posted:

There is a high chance you have something wrong with your hardware. Might be worth a look.

Victim blaming IMHO

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Anybody all playing with this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh0be6z-Zl8

It's available on the fast ring or whatever apparently - looks a lot like Google's auto video creator only with a lot more control, basically a replacement for movie maker. The auto green screen bit looks fun too if it works well

Also promo-wise this is a nice contrast with the Songsmith family :frogbon:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

baka kaba posted:

Also promo-wise this is a nice contrast with the Songsmith family :frogbon:

Hey, Songsmith gave us a great thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZWTfrW3gEo

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

redeyes posted:

It's alright now, after the reformat everything is updated and works perfectly. With all the drivers refreshed and brand new it must have done the trick.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Hey, Songsmith gave us a great thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZWTfrW3gEo

lmfao I loved these

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg0l7f25bhU

and the horrific thing that started it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oGFogwcx-E

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Well, Creators is the first major update that didn't drop me into a busted desktop on the first boot up, so already we're ahead by leaps and bounds.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So say 5 to 10 years from now, will Windows be subscription only? Will the win32 API be gone? MS is pushing pretty hard for this to happen.
I feel like I should be looking more closely at competing OSs for my own machines.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Win10 is being sold as Win10 like any other OS.
There's no reason to suspect they're moving to a subscription model, but then most people who try to desktop-linux do it because of things they think MS are/will do, so it'll be a good fit.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Khablam posted:

Win10 is being sold as Win10 like any other OS.
There's no reason to suspect they're moving to a subscription model, but then most people who try to desktop-linux do it because of things they think MS are/will do, so it'll be a good fit.

Well Windows S just came out. Microsoft is moving most their products to subscription only.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

redeyes posted:

Well Windows S just came out. Microsoft is moving most their products to subscription only.

That's MS' answer to chrome OS so I'm not sure why that, a non-sub OS, is some sort of evidence they will go subscription?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Well a big indicator of a subscription model might be that they gave it away when it first came out, which is similar to the subscription model that crack dealers use.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

Well a big indicator of a subscription model might be that they gave it away when it first came out, which is similar to the subscription model that crack dealers use.

hahah, this

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

redeyes posted:

So say 5 to 10 years from now, will Windows be subscription only? Will the win32 API be gone? MS is pushing pretty hard for this to happen.
I feel like I should be looking more closely at competing OSs for my own machines.

I'm confused.

What other operating system do you think will run your Win32 apps?

In your experience, does WINE really count?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

dont be mean to me posted:

I'm confused.

What other operating system do you think will run your Win32 apps?

In your experience, does WINE really count?

We've already established he doesn't know poo poo about Windows, you can hardly expect him to understand WINE.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Windows S doesn't stand for Subscription, you plank.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

fishmech posted:

We've already established he doesn't know poo poo about Windows, you can hardly expect him to understand WINE.

I give people the benefit of the doubt; it's a personal failing and I'm working on fixing it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

dont be mean to me posted:

I give people the benefit of the doubt; it's a personal failing and I'm working on fixing it.

I'm happy to do that. And yeah it does look like Windows 7 does trim fine. It doesn't schedule trim passes like 8 and 10 but its plenty good enough.

gently caress you fishmech.

quote:

Windows S doesn't stand for Subscription, you plank.

Windows Suck edition.

https://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2016/07/07/empower-your-employees-with-the-secure-productive-enterprise/

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

redeyes posted:

Unlikely,

But it's clear Microsoft invested in UWP Apps but if shell out an extra $50 then you're free to do whatever.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

redeyes posted:

I'm happy to do that. And yeah it does look like Windows 7 does trim fine. It doesn't schedule trim passes like 8 and 10 but its plenty good enough.

gently caress you fishmech.

Windows Suck edition.

https://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2016/07/07/empower-your-employees-with-the-secure-productive-enterprise/

You should probably stop talking out your rear end.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Today the creator's update forced itself on me like a rapist in a dark alley.
This is the quality posting I expect from SA, thank you for this :D

Anyway, Creators Update is the first major update that was totally painless, didn't reset any default application settings and didn't gently caress with my normal workflow at all. It's crap on new features but I guess Microsoft finally got the hang of their update process.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Windows 10 S is a subset of Windows 10 Pro, just like Windows 10 Home but with different features. It has the same button to upgrade to Pro that Home has. It's basically for bad IHVs making Internet of poo poo devices they will never, ever provide updates for (and college students are a great market for them!).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Hi, is this the thread where I can bitch about what Creators Update did to my computer? Good.

I had thought the update went through okay, so I didn't pay much attention to how all my file preferences got wiped or how Windows wouldn't let me reset them without huge hassle. I can live with that. Windows has done worse to me before, so my standards of "successful update" are set pretty low nowadays. I'm just happy if my computer doesn't burst into flames, you know.

Then I noticed other things. I couldn't save images in Firefox without it crashing. I couldn't open files in Notepad. Photoshop crashed on opening files, too.

Then I realised (after much pain and hunting for answers for each program individually) that it was in fact because every single 64bit program on my system is now broken.

I even went and checked that my Windows installation hadn't somehow turned into a 32bit version. Nope, still 64bit.

It's the only 64bit thing on my system which still works.

I mean, I can run 32bit Firefox and Windows even has a 32bit version of Notepad hidden away in the SysWoW64 folder, so I can manage there. It's annoying as hell, but I'll manage.

But.

I really want all my stuff working again.

I even tried downloading new 64bit programs to see if, maybe, it was just something wrong with all my stuff which was installed when I updated and, nope, no go.

I downloaded Notepad++ 64bit and it crashes immediately when I try to open a file. 32big Notepad++ works perfectly. And so on.

The closest I could find to answers online was from people with similar crash experiences and they hadn't had any luck fixing their broken poo poo either. Even doing a full reinstall didn't help them.

Guess I just have to wait for Microsoft :sigh:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Might be worth checking and repairing your system files because it sounds hosed up, and not in a 'whoops we rolled out this major update but forgot to check it works on 64-bit systems, better patch that' way

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Tried that and no luck, sadly.

Got "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Are all of the 64-bit programs you've tried located in the Program Files directory (as opposed to the Program Files (x86) directory)? Sometimes permissions on that folder can get messed up on major OS revisions, and the OS is having issues running programs from there.

There's also an issue with the OS giving proper admin control to the Admin accounts, which can cause issues with some programs. Try one of these and see if that fixes it:

Method 1:
Solution through Group Policy:
Open gpedit.msc (Group Policy Editor)
Browse to Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Security Settings->Local Policies->Security Options
Enable “User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account”,
Restart workstation (Restart the computer)

Can't enter gpedit?
Method 2:
Solution through registry:
Open regedit (Search from start menu)
Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-SOFTWARE-Microsoft-Windows-CurrentVersion-Policies-System
Make sure the value "EnableLUA" is set to 1
Restart workstation (Restart the computer)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I have the Home version so no gpedit.msc for me. I opened regedit and the EnableLUA value was already set to one.

I would have used the Snipping tool to show you this, but you can guess what happened when I tried to save the image.

Looking at the Program Files and Windows directories however, both are marked as read only. I tried removing the attribute but it hasn't seemed to help any.

At this point I'm considering upgrading to Pro and seeing if that helps, but that's $149 and I'm not at the stage where I'm $149 worth of annoyed yet.

But thanks for all the ideas guys.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Now when I start up Windows Mail I get greeted with a promotion for a "New GMail Experience".

It's similar to the image shown on blogs a month ago when this was in Insider builds, but there's no more "No" button to decline the process. You can close the dialog through the X, but it'll show up every time you open Mail.

I still love Windows Mail for it's enhanced notifications with built-in archive buttons, and it's ability to operate quietly as a service discreetly in the background ala iOS or Android apps. Neither Mailbird nor eM Mail nor Thunderbird do that very well. But I guess I have to switch to a new mail client because I don't trust Microsoft with a copy of my GMail.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 15, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You don't trust Microsoft but you trust Google?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You don't trust Microsoft but you trust Google?

Yes, because GMail has been around for a very long time and has had automated scripts, not humans, parse emails for advertising keywords and, while it's at it, product occasional convenience from the metadata (like links if a tracking number is found, the option to make a calendar event out of a flight, whatever.) Human access to other people's GMail has been kept very secure. Microsoft broke into an employee's mail to bust him for leaking tools to assist piracy groups in defeating Windows authentication. And that's just the most relevant of nightmarish account access stories they've had, going back to 15 year olds social engineering their call center people to steal each other's Xbox accounts.

I'm not part of a warez ring, but like everyone who rips their Blu-ray or downloaded a "Linux ISO" I do a little DMCA infringement here and there and wouldn't blame anyone for being suspicious of MS mail. They caught the guy, but they broke trust in the privacy of their services to do it.

EDIT: It seems this is the same procedure that got them a bunch of flack when they bought the app Accompli and renamed it Outlook Mobile. Accompli was copying people's mail to an AWS server they ran. Microsoft since brought it in-house to Azure or something, but it's still a dupe of what sounds like your entire mail history.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Craptacular! posted:

Yes, because GMail has been around for a very long time

You're making me feel old, because to me, Gmail is a pretty new service. I remember when it was invite-only.
Microsoft has been in the online email business far longer...