Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

VikingSkull posted:

Who knows how they accept Facebook in the future but c'mon man, are you saying that kids read the newspaper and watch cable news?

I point out that Facebook sources its news primarily from traditional and cable media output. So, yeah: I'd argue that they essentially do if Facebook is their primary source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
The Dems need to stop chasing racism/sexism and start chasing poverty. That is what wins elections.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Tallgeese posted:

I point out that Facebook sources its news primarily from traditional and cable media output. So, yeah: I'd argue that they essentially do if Facebook is their primary source.

They are also trading rare pepes on Facebook, along with Gabe the dog memes and making fun of Zuck and the flaming duck, so I'm not sure what influence Facebook has on them

oh, wait...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Amarcarts posted:

The Dems need to stop chasing racism/sexism and start chasing poverty. That is what wins elections.

They can't, because they are pretty much entirely sponsored by the people who create and sustain poverty

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

They can't, because they are pretty much entirely sponsored by the people who create and sustain poverty

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

that's one way to put it, I guess

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

VikingSkull posted:

They are also trading rare pepes on Facebook, along with Gabe the dog memes and making fun of Zuck and the flaming duck, so I'm not sure what influence Facebook has on them

oh, wait...

So wait, why does the "youth vote doesn't matter" meme exist again?

Or has that evolved into "youth vote doesn't matter in closed primaries"?

I just seem to remember in Massachusetts that youth vote mostly gave it to Clinton over Sanders anyway.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Yup. Democrat party will only move more towards woke corporate progressivism.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Tallgeese posted:

I thought alternative news sites were going to be rated and marked as unreliable by Facebook.

Do you think this would even begin to stop the "alt right" with the pepes and the Trump memes

It would just mark sites like Infowars and Breitbart as fake, which would just get those fans to scream about information control and whine about why Snopes isn't marked and tbh it would likely not achieve the intent they desire

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

nigga crab pollock posted:

Do you think this would even begin to stop the "alt right" with the pepes and the Trump memes

It would just mark sites like Infowars and Breitbart as fake, which would just get those fans to scream about information control and whine about why Snopes isn't marked and tbh it would likely not achieve the intent they desire

I don't think Facebook is snart enough to know that

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I don't think Facebook is snart enough to know that

I'm snart enough. :colbert:

Exactly how snart do you have to be?

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Edit: i too am snart

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I was under the impression young people don't even use Facebook anymore.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Who the gently caress uses Facebook for news anymore??

https://www.bustle.com/articles/103264-hillary-clinton-got-a-snapchat-finally-shes-already-sending-silly-snaps-to-her-supporters

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
yeah to win elections you have to appeal to the youth vote, so when they reach voting age by the time they graduate high school they will vote for u

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I would just like to go on the record that reverse image searching that picture returns 'hillary clinton memes' and my entire google results page was 'checkout these awesome hillary memes' or 'check out hillary's new haircut! wow' or 'hillary's best social media posts'

they seriously have no clue how much people loving hate her and thats not even considering the election fuckup

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hilldog is writing her own book. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38835770

And going around giving speeches.

Gearing up for 2020? Absolutely. lol

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Jimmy Dore killing it lately

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

What's wrong with this guy? Doesn't he get a tingle up his thigh when he hears Obama speaking?

Seriously though, I'm rather pleased that nobody is trying to make Obama out to have been a great president. Yet. It'll probably happen after a few years where they'll try and re-write history to say the Obama was one of the greatest.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

hmm this guy is pretty good for a talking head

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
he a white man tho. probably straight. definitely racist.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soup du Journey posted:

he a white man tho. probably straight. definitely racist.

I thought he was pretty up front about being a democrat?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Yeah Jimmy Dore is pretty cool. So is David Rubin. Both are former members of the Young Turks who jumped ship when they realized that Cenk is an angry idiot and Anna is a psycho bitch.

It looks like the tide is finally turning on all the insane SJW poo poo. I used to be one until I finally realized I was being a huge rear end in a top hat, and a stupid one at that. I was hoping that I had just gotten into it early and others would eventually get sick of it and see the light and that finally seems to be happening. We have people like Laci Green and Ian Miles Cheong having a change of heart. If I can change, and they can change, more people can too. This is a huge sigh of relief for me.

Everydayfeminism is going bankrupt. Gawker went kaput. People see college kids rioting on campus and have begun to realize just how insane and awful it is. We're starting to even have some famous people like Bill Maher call them out on their bullshit. Hillary Clinton bombed spectacularly.

I'm not a fighter by nature and I've grown weary of this state of "war." I'm tired of all this fighting and animosity between people. I just want peace and for people to get along. It's finally looking like an end is on the horizon. I just want a return to normalcy after all this madness.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm not a fighter by nature and I've grown weary of this state of "war." I'm tired of all this fighting and animosity between people. I just want peace and for people to get along. It's finally looking like an end is on the horizon. I just want a return to normalcy after all this madness.

I was actually at a thing the other day and the speaker asked the group if any of them had any republican friends (like 3 people out of 30 raised their hands). She then told everyone that they should make an effort to actually make some friends outside of their comfort zones and that actually drew some groans and "yeah rights" from the crowd (because 50% of the country are literal evil monsters you see).

I voted republican in this last election and kept my mouth shut. I didn't want to die that day. :colbert:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah Jimmy Dore is pretty cool. So is David Rubin. Both are former members of the Young Turks who jumped ship when they realized that Cenk is an angry idiot and Anna is a psycho bitch.

It looks like the tide is finally turning on all the insane SJW poo poo. I used to be one until I finally realized I was being a huge rear end in a top hat, and a stupid one at that. I was hoping that I had just gotten into it early and others would eventually get sick of it and see the light and that finally seems to be happening. We have people like Laci Green and Ian Miles Cheong having a change of heart. If I can change, and they can change, more people can too. This is a huge sigh of relief for me.

Jimmy Dore is great but please don't mention him in the same breath as twitter/youtube mongoloids like laci green and that loving loser cheong, both of whom I put in the same boat as that prisonplanet dipshit

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
lol Pewdiepie and JonTron had a bigger effect on the culture war than Hillary Clinton

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The more internet politics seeps in to real life politics the more hosed up things are gonna be.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Well buckle up then cause people are further and further not being able to separate the internet from real life.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
we either live in a simulated universe or we're going to eventually upload our consciousness into one so what's it matter really

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

I was actually at a thing the other day and the speaker asked the group if any of them had any republican friends (like 3 people out of 30 raised their hands). She then told everyone that they should make an effort to actually make some friends outside of their comfort zones and that actually drew some groans and "yeah rights" from the crowd (because 50% of the country are literal evil monsters you see).

I voted republican in this last election and kept my mouth shut. I didn't want to die that day. :colbert:

I think a big thing that changed me was I made an effort to actually be friendly with people who I don't agree with. Yes, even Republicans.

A huge number of people at my work are Republicans, because I live in the South after all. I realized "you know, these people aren't evil. They're good people." I reconciled with my parents. They're good people, too. I'll work with people in Order Entry who are mainly older women. I'll work with people in the factory who are working class and not college educated. Probably half are rednecks and the other half are black. And you know what? They're decent, normal people.

Sometimes you just gotta get out there and meet people. Get off the computer and meet real people. Leave the college campus and meet some people. Once you actually go out there and meet people, you'll find out that they're not so bad.

VikingSkull posted:

lol Pewdiepie and JonTron had a bigger effect on the culture war than Hillary Clinton

No joke, the media lashing out at people like Pewdiepie and James Rolfe are what made me lose faith in the media

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 15, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

it's not even hard to have friends with wildly oppositional politics. I don't know how or why so many people forgot that it used to be pretty commonplace. The internet really loving sucks for how it's really let people curate the ideology of what you see and what you hear, and it's really breaking some retards brains by living in self-made echo chambers

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

basic hitler posted:

it's not even hard to have friends with wildly oppositional politics. I don't know how or why so many people forgot that it used to be pretty commonplace. The internet really loving sucks for how it's really let people curate the ideology of what you see and what you hear, and it's really breaking some retards brains by living in self-made echo chambers

For real.

The thing with Internet echo chambers though is it's getting to the point where radicals online and cannibalizing themselves to such an extreme that they can't be friends with anyone, because they can't handle any contrary opinions and you can't find someone who agrees with you 100% on everything.

I think that's why this poo poo is on the decline. You keep weeding out people who aren't ideologically pure and eventually you have no one left.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think a big thing that changed me was I made an effort to actually be friendly with people who I don't agree with. Yes, even Republicans.

A huge number of people at my work are Republicans, because I live in the South after all. I realized "you know, these people aren't evil. They're good people." I reconciled with my parents. They're good people, too. I'll work with people in Order Entry who are mainly older women. I'll work with people in the factory who are working class and not college educated. Probably half are rednecks and the other half are black. And you know what? They're decent, normal people.

Sometimes you just gotta get out there and meet people. Get off the computer and meet real people. Leave the college campus and meet some people. Once you actually go out there and meet people, you'll find out that they're not so bad.

There's actually a lot of ways people on either side of the "aisle" could work together.

Take abortion. Holy cow does it make people mad at other people. But both sides could probably agree that they would love it if the need for abortions was lower. Sex education and access to birth control are a good way to lower abortion rates. Both sides, even though they disagree fundamentally on what abortion is, could work together to lower abortion rates by providing birth control and sex education.

Neither side would get everything they want, but they would absolutely get some of what they want (fewer abortions, access to birth control/sex education).

You could apply this to other stuff too. Nobody wants anyone to suffer due to hunger/homelessness/drug addiction/whatever. It's just a matter of getting people to work together to tackle the issues (and possibly compromise) vs "No way am I working with those MONSTERS!".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gammatron 64 posted:

No joke, the media lashing out at people like Pewdiepie and James Rolfe are what made me lose faith in the media

lol I heard about Pewdiepie and JonTron but what the heck kind of controversy did the AVGN find himself in????

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

There's actually a lot of ways people on either side of the "aisle" could work together.

Take abortion. Holy cow does it make people mad at other people. But both sides could probably agree that they would love it if the need for abortions was lower. Sex education and access to birth control are a good way to lower abortion rates. Both sides, even though they disagree fundamentally on what abortion is, could work together to lower abortion rates by providing birth control and sex education.

Neither side would get everything they want, but they would absolutely get some of what they want (fewer abortions, access to birth control/sex education).

You could apply this to other stuff too. Nobody wants anyone to suffer due to hunger/homelessness/drug addiction/whatever. It's just a matter of getting people to work together to tackle the issues (and possibly compromise) vs "No way am I working with those MONSTERS!".

Yeah.

And recent studies have even shown that you need both liberals and conservatives to even function as a society. Conservatives tend to be harder working but less creative. Liberals will start a business and then conservatives will keep it running.

If you were to gather up everyone who thinks a certain way or has a particular personality type, put them on a train and sent them straight into a concentration camp, society couldn't function. I'm sure there's a lot of liberals who wish they could just make all conservatives go away forever, and visa versa, but this is incredibly foolish thinking.

Chomp8645 posted:

lol I heard about Pewdiepie and JonTron but what the heck kind of controversy did the AVGN find himself in????

He dared to say that he wasn't interested in seeing the Ghostbusters remake because he has a strong attachment to the original and the remake didn't look funny. This somehow made him into a he-man woman hater even though he didn't mention anything about the gender of the new Ghostbusters.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Neat so the Democratic Party straight up admitted that they rigged the nomination against Bernie in court and said that nothing they did was illegal so its okay.

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/2016_0722_dnc_wilding1.pdf

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

It wasn't how they handled the election?

I realized how worthless old media, and most new media was when coverage basically became "Hillary Clinton is God and Inveitable you clueless loving mortal meatbags" and "HOOOOOLY poo poo LOOK AT THIS loving CLOWN!!!!!! WHOA ISN"T THIS IDIOT FUNNY AND NEVER GOING TO BE PRESIDENT???"

It was just such a lazy hackjob and extremely disconnected from what was happening i couldn't take any main stream news seriously anymore and that trust is probably broken permanently. I'm not a genius but i'm not stupid and I just look for the most raw, unfiltered source i can find, and i figure poo poo out for myself now.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

nigga crab pollock posted:

I would just like to go on the record that reverse image searching that picture returns 'hillary clinton memes' and my entire google results page was 'checkout these awesome hillary memes' or 'check out hillary's new haircut! wow' or 'hillary's best social media posts'

they seriously have no clue how much people loving hate her and thats not even considering the election fuckup

i dont know man im starting to come around to her.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Everydayfeminism is going bankrupt. Gawker went kaput. People see college kids rioting on campus and have begun to realize just how insane and awful it is. We're starting to even have some famous people like Bill Maher call them out on their bullshit. Hillary Clinton bombed spectacularly.

I'm tired of all the fighting too. I forgive her.

spacetoaster posted:

i hear hillary clinton has the respect of many a republican legislator. i hope she brings us together in 2024 whether or not she actually runs

Gammatron 64 posted:

basic hitler posted:

It's the thought that counts! ready to vote for the hill dog in 2024?

Lawrence Gilchrist fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'll hate hillary clinton till my last moment alive and as i rise to god to face judgement there's a non-zero chance I will God-drat her at the pearly gates.

But in general you should look across the aisle and see that republican voter for what they are, a human that sees the world a little differently that probably has nearly identical struggles to you in its actual day to day

• Locked thread