Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Why would an all-star d man go to an expansion team

$

e: also Vegas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I'd love for the leafs to pick up a guy like shattenkirk

:cripes:

Because vegas needs to get to the floor and are going to overpay basically everyone they get

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Jeff Finger money

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
The only reason I would be okay with taking Shattenkirk is if he replaced one Hunwick or Polak. If that's not happening then hell no.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Stretch Marx posted:

The only reason I would be okay with taking Shattenkirk is if he replaced one Hunwick or Polak. If that's not happening then hell no.

I would assume a guy of his talent would at minimum push them down the order

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I thought Shattenkirk was actually pretty good for Washington. Anyone is going to look worse alongside Brooks Orpik and when he was with Schmidt surprise he looked pretty good again.

Not going to be a stud #1 anywhere but as a #2 or #3 you could do a whole lot worse.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

DJExile posted:

Because vegas needs to get to the floor and are going to overpay basically everyone they get

they only need like 6 million to get to the cap when you add the expansion draft minimum cap floor and the russian they signed. they can sign him during the expansion draft free agent period but then they don't get to pry a rfa/under contract guy from washington

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Oh man Anderson under loving siege.whoops not the GDT

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Mind_Taker posted:

I thought Shattenkirk was actually pretty good for Washington. Anyone is going to look worse alongside Brooks Orpik and when he was with Schmidt surprise he looked pretty good again.

Not going to be a stud #1 anywhere but as a #2 or #3 you could do a whole lot worse.

This is true. Still, with the way he shat the bed up during the play offs, I'm not holding my breath.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Glambags posted:

All of these guys suck

This is true, but they could make a decent bottom pairing if they picked two of them who are not Clendening, who sucks.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't know where the Shattenkirk being interested in Vegas stuff is coming from. That's not how I read his comments at all. He sounded much more inclined to go to a team where he knew what to expect as far as role and everything else.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

this is what the end of oliver ekman larsson's stick looks like. you can watch the video here but it's in swedish

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

hifi posted:

they only need like 6 million to get to the cap when you add the expansion draft minimum cap floor and the russian they signed. they can sign him during the expansion draft free agent period but then they don't get to pry a rfa/under contract guy from washington

Yeah this really is A Thing I think. Last year as soon as the Penguins got rid of Rob Scuderi's desiccated corpse, within a couple weeks people were writing "Wow, Kris Letang is playing amazing hockey!" articles. Then after the Kings inexplicably picked him up, they spiraled toward a quick first round exit while people started writing "hey, what's wrong with Drew Doughty?" articles.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Shattenkirk is not the type of D-Man Toronto needs, they need somebody who does the defensive part of their job well like Justin Braun or Chris Tanev.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

hifi posted:

this is what the end of oliver ekman larsson's stick looks like. you can watch the video here but it's in swedish

that seems like it'd be really annoying

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Shattenkirk is not the type of D-Man Toronto needs, they need somebody who does the defensive part of their job well like Justin Braun or Chris Tanev.

On the other hand, having someone who could add even more to toronto's offensive capability would be ok with me, because offence is more fun than defence.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

On the other hand, having someone who could add even more to toronto's offensive capability would be ok with me, because offence is more fun than defence.

Yeah, but if you wanna have offense, first you have to get the puck.

Having your amazing scorers stand there and watch the other team take shots at the goalie isn't going to get em any cups.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but if you wanna have offense, first you have to get the puck.

Having your amazing scorers stand there and watch the other team take shots at the goalie isn't going to get em any cups.

This. We have Reilly and Gardiner as primary puck moving defensemen already. We need someone who is great at defense to take over the 3rd string so Reilly, Gardiner, and Zaitsev aren't playing 30+ minutes. If that person can score then all the better. But I think we should should focus on the defense for the last grouping. Someone who can give Hyman and Komarov help during penalty kills instead of merely being there.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Stretch Marx posted:

This. We have Reilly and Gardiner as primary puck moving defensemen already. We need someone who is great at defense to take over the 3rd string so Reilly, Gardiner, and Zaitsev aren't playing 30+ minutes. If that person can score then all the better. But I think we should should focus on the defense for the last grouping. Someone who can give Hyman and Komarov help during penalty kills instead of merely being there.

Zaitsev and Carrick are also better playing that style than they are in their own zone. While there's something to be said for getting the best talent and figuring what to do with them, you probably want some sort of diversification in skill set so that your top-5 all aren't similar guys at different skill levels.

Also adding a great PP QB adds less marginal value to a team like the Leafs that already has a real good PP, especially if they keep running a 4-forward system, than he would to a team where he can really turn a unit around.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Someone is going to overpay for Shattenkirk to be a number one defenseman and then be very disappointed when they find that isn't his ideal role.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Schremp Howard posted:

Someone is going to overpay for Shattenkirk to be a number one defenseman and then be very disappointed when they find that isn't his ideal role.

Are they?

Seems pretty good to me. He's probably worth a good chunk of change just because of his abilities as a #1 pp qb if nothing else.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Are they?

Seems pretty good to me. He's probably worth a good chunk of change just because of his abilities as a #1 pp qb if nothing else.

for blues with >450 minutes TOI he's first in o zone start % and last in d zone start %. context

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

for blues with >450 minutes TOI he's first in o zone start % and last in d zone start %. context

Because he produces a ridiculous amount of points when you deploy him that way. Still real valuable.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Shattenkirk is going to get paid a lot of money to be really good next to McDonagh or Skjei.

gently caress I spelled "Girardi" wrong again

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Because he produces a ridiculous amount of points when you deploy him that way. Still real valuable.

Sure but nobody calls yandle or schultz a #1 defensemen

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

Sure but nobody calls yandle or schultz a #1 defensemen

Letang gets almost as many o-zone starts as Schultz. And even Karlsson who plays like half the game gets more o-zone starts than anyone on Ottawa except for Wideman/Claesson.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

I'd like the Leafs to avoid making any big free agent signings until Matthews, Marner & Nylander are locked up long term. With that said if there's somebody out there that can replace Hunwick and Polak for a reasonable price I'm all for it

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Yeah I get that Shattenkirk will put up a bunch of points and that is good value. He's going to be the premier free agent defenseman available, so some team will get into a bidding war and sign him for like 6.5 or so. Karlsson got 6.5 (granted a few years ago) as an RFA. Letang 7.25 when he could haven been a UFA. Obviously it's difficult to compare contracts signed years apart, but we can agree that Karlsson and Letang (when healthy) are in another tier above Shattenkirk. Even Doughty "only" got 7.

Basically I think Shattenkirk is a soft option for a #1 D. He's really better off going somewhere where he can continue to take the load offensively as a #2 and not worry about the tough assignments. But hes cashing in at the right time and is going to get paid and someone's going to be pissed about it at the end of the day.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
i've always liked shattenkirk and thought he'd look great paired with vlasic

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

tofes posted:

i've always liked shattenkirk and thought he'd look great paired with vlasic

Shattenklasic
Vlattenkirk

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Schremp Howard posted:

Basically I think Shattenkirk is a soft option for a #1 D. He's really better off going somewhere where he can continue to take the load offensively as a #2 and not worry about the tough assignments. But hes cashing in at the right time and is going to get paid and someone's going to be pissed about it at the end of the day.

i mean that's what he'd be on the Rangers. i would imagine he'd get a lot of ozone time as the second pair guy with skjei. mcdonagh and whatever corpse they strap onto him would get the hard stuff

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think he's best off making 9m a year with the Devils

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
A team that tries to use Shattenkirk against the other teams' best forwards every night is going to be very disappointed.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

T-Bone posted:

I think he's best off making 9m a year with the Devils

Yeah I've always thought the Devils make the most sense for Shattenkirk. They can afford to overpay him and they pretty badly need help on the blue line.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

bewbies posted:

A team that tries to use Shattenkirk against the other teams' best forwards every night is going to be very disappointed.

we cannot possibly be more disappointed than we already are

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Shatty is a great Phil Housley for a team that can afford that luxury.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Phil Housley was a decent Devil for all of his 22 games with the team

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm flying out to Calgary on business this Friday and connecting through Montreal. How much fun am I gonna have at customs in MTL if I wear a nordiques hat and owen nolan jersey? :v:

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

DJExile posted:

I'm flying out to Calgary on business this Friday and connecting through Montreal. How much fun am I gonna have at customs in MTL if I wear a nordiques hat and owen nolan jersey? :v:

I mean if you're going that route you might as well step up and go with the Roy Avalanche jersey. Don't forget to carry a knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Stretch Marx posted:

I mean if you're going that route you might as well step up and go with the Roy Avalanche jersey. Don't forget to carry a knife.

lol duly noted

• Locked thread