Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

TheMcD posted:

#hottake incoming: If Ukita was replaced with Miyoko on Team Terrorists, they'd have managed to pull the plan off without a hitch.

Oh, definitely. Ukita has made a surprise last-minute entry into Salyu's hyper-exclusive "people who aren't complete gently caress-ups" club but he's still kind of a local oaf. Miyoko makes terrible decisions with great precision and efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah. That's exactly what I expected. Honestly it's so goddamn rote that I can't even get upset over it. My one piece of advice is that if you feel like this tugs at your heartstrings, then go back to the previous chapters and reread how Miyako treated Natsuhiko.
That's the ptoblem with this trope in Japanese media, it only works in one direction. It hopes that by the time you get to the twist, that the wise older generation had a method to their madness (and it is a twist), you would have fogotten exactly what was said and done. You just remembered how much you disliked the character. So when this twist happens, oh poo poo you were just as wrong as the mistreated character don't you feel silly I think there's a lesson to be learned in that you know...
If you go back and reread what the character did though, you usually lose the sympathy you have for them, because shocker, they were still an rear end in a top hat.

Exactly what do you expect her to have done?

Abandon Yuuri and Salyu to actual cells devoid of even the few comforts/company they had, as well as basically locking in Natsuhiko's death at maximum 30 years of age (likely less, given B Aptitude is 33 years on average), knowing she possibly could have done something about it the whole time? Because guess who's the one who was providing those comforts (and probably N's few ones as well) - spoilers: it wasn't Eriguchi or Kashiwagi.
Try and break them out and die in the process, meaning Natsuhiko gets an instant cell as well? Because they're totally not going to be watching for anything like that after Senior Fellow S trying to break N out and her threatening to expose them to Ena's bosses.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

I mean, the actual answer is take a few iphone videos, publicly whistleblow, and then continue your research for a company that doesn't kidnap world leaders or own child slaves. "They control the police" isn't a good excuse.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Explosions posted:

I mean, the actual answer is take a few iphone videos, publicly whistleblow, and then continue your research for a company that doesn't kidnap world leaders or own child slaves. "They control the police" isn't a good excuse.

Given the power they hold, I wouldn't be suprised if they had assassins who would kill Miyoko if she deserted or defected or... really, did anything they didn't like.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Explosions posted:

How does she publicly whistleblow in a city where the group that is running this joint controls not only the police, but everybody wanting to enter and leave town, every communication happening within the city (including telephones, internet, mail, etc.) and every vehicle as well. Somehow sneak out of the city in secret?

Like, I'm not particularly looking to get involved here, but I think people are underestimating the stranglehold the LABO/Rokumei City group has over the city.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Explosions posted:

This doesn't work as well as you'd think in practice. I mean sure you're an ace BC researcher but you whistleblew for those dudes over at LABO so that means you'd probably do the same here at OLAB because, really, those LABO dudes had the right idea and we're totally stealing those methods.

Whistleblowing is a sort of last resort because it has a track record of tanking your 'hire-ability.' That's not conductive to doing more work to solve problems what need solved (the lifespan limit.)

Edit: Oh yeah, there's also the whole thing that Rokumei city is practically a police state :v:

However, that struggle of 'do I do what I believe is the right thing now and deal with the consequences or do I suck it up to accomplish my goal and then ream these bastards for all the stuff they had me pull' is more interesting than the trope we got. I wasn't surprised at all by any of that Miyoko segment. It's all properly foreshadowed and all of the pieces are there and SSNeoman's prediction is certainly possible. I'm currently 50-50 on Miyoko dying as a martyr vs. WATASEMANIA, SLAYU and TEACH being stone cold badasses and saving everyone while LABO explodes behind them all cool like.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Maybe it's a Japan thing, but what Miyoko should've done was spend any time with her son. Like at all. Working yourself to the bone is a terrible way to get any actual work done, and seeing the person you're working so hard to save is good and cool.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

SSNeoman posted:

In fact gently caress it. My prediction for the ending: Miyako eats it from one of the people with guns, Natsuhiko uses SSS to read her memories and we'll see that SHE REALLY DID THINK ABOUT HIM ALL THE TIME when she did her reasearch, and that just before the fire broke out she was on the cusp of discovery. She then dies and Ukita takes up the torch, perfecting the cure and letting Natsuhiko have a life. Natsuhiko will then reflect about how he never really understood his mom and that this might be why we need BC to really be able to commu-you get the loving point.
And thus the guilt trip aimed at the audience will be complete.
Let's be real, this is a Japanese game. The moral isn't going to be that humanity needs BC. It's going to be that humanity doesn't really need powers to understand each other, they just need to try harder and Do Their Best and the world will be a better place, because humanity can do anything if it collectively sets its mind to it. Bonus points if the character espousing this moral spends some time talking about how humanity sucks most of the time but they still believe in its power.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Ah, I'm too easily swayed. Every post I read I'm like "yeah! I agree!" and then I get to a dissenting opinion and go "you know what they're right too." :confused:

But I think I resonate the most with Llab's post just now. I can't speak to what Miyoko should or should not have done, but I do believe that she could have had a better work/life balance. Her inability to safely whistleblow LABO doesn't mean she can't see her son.

...and honestly, Natsuhiko suddenly forgiving his absentee and emotionally distant mother just because she's been 'working hard to save him' is the least believable part of this whole game for me. gently caress that noise.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

asymmetrical posted:

...and honestly, Natsuhiko suddenly forgiving his absentee and emotionally distant mother just because she's been 'working hard to save him' is the least believable part of this whole game for me. gently caress that noise.

FWIW, I don't think Natsuhiko has really "forgiven" his mother as much as he has realized that she still cares about him and that he can trust her to help him in his current situation, which isn't as much of a jump from "man, gently caress her".

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

asymmetrical posted:

But I think I resonate the most with Llab's post just now. I can't speak to what Miyoko should or should not have done, but I do believe that she could have had a better work/life balance. Her inability to safely whistleblow LABO doesn't mean she can't see her son.

Yep, that's something Yuuri brings up.

"The professor said it wasn't your fault. She admitted it was true that she left her son all alone."

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Cyouni posted:

Exactly what do you expect her to have done?

I expected her to be a goddamn parent. As do a lot of other people in this thread. I also expected her not to do that BC ghost nonesense but we've beaten that horse enough.

You're missing my broader point though. Miyako could have done everything in her power and I would still dislike her because of how the story presents her actions. Mashiro and Yuuri both team up to excuse her despite Natsuhiko's condition and history. Any time we see her talking to Natsuhiko, it's always in a super detached way. Why are we supposed to have sympathy for her given that we never see her being a mother to Natsuhiko after the LABO incident? There are plenty of ways they could have made her seem detached but sympathetic. Instead they choose to load all the reasons why we should like her into the end, expecting us to just swallow this. But all this feels like is a post-hoc justification for Miyako to be a terrible person.

Cyouni posted:

Yep, that's something Yuuri brings up.

"The professor said it wasn't your fault. She admitted it was true that she left her son all alone."

"So you see Natsuhiko, it can't be helped..."

Llab posted:

Maybe it's a Japan thing

It very much is, and it's a source of a lot of inter-family friction in the country. Which is why I have no patience for this trope. This is society being a piece of poo poo, and the media tries to frame this as "oh those selfish youngsters...if only they understood how the world worked..."
It's incredibly lovely and anyone who says this deserves a whack to the back of the head. Unfortunately a lot of parents believe this, and then they wonder "oh poo poo why are my kids so distant/non-communicative?"

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Let's be real, this is a Japanese game. The moral isn't going to be that humanity needs BC. It's going to be that humanity doesn't really need powers to understand each other, they just need to try harder and Do Their Best and the world will be a better place, because humanity can do anything if it collectively sets its mind to it. Bonus points if the character espousing this moral spends some time talking about how humanity sucks most of the time but they still believe in its power.

I actually though about posting something like this but I decided that was a bridge too far. If the game does actually do this it will be the most hilariously tone-deaf ending to a story I've seen in recent memory. That would drive the game strictly into parody territory.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
But yeah, the obvious thing to do is actually spend time with your kid and not work yourself to death, as others have said.

Its lose/lose, if you work yourself to death and fail, it'll have been for nothing, if you succeed, you still lose the kid because you were never there. Cats in the cradle and all that.

Not an excuse to be a terrible parent.

As for the whole hire-ability thing, she is a world leading scientist. Pretty sure she'd find something. Even though that should be beside the point.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
uh yeah, aside from the ethical issue, I can't even with Miyoko abdicating her responsibility as a parent.

at least she knows she absolutely should be in prison for what she's done. As should most of LABO, pretty much.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Lunatique: 09/16/2030, 17:19

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

Gaagh... agh...!

--The rope wrapped around his neck was digging into his throat. Kazami put all her strength into her grip as she strangled Watase from behind. She had apparently taken the rescue rope Watase had left in Area 6's inner ring and brought it with her. All for the sake of killing Watase.

It hurts, doesn't it...? Then I'll put you to rest soon...!

Kazami's voice sounded pained. Though Watase was barely conscious, he was still able to make that out.

(... Why...? What does Kazami think I did to her...!?)

Kazami then spoke right after Watase had that thought. It was almost like she read his mind.

You don't understand...? I'm doing this all for you.

He could never understand. Kazami's deranged thoughts were beyond Watase's comprehension. When he realized he was about to die without understanding a thing-- Watase heard a voice in the corner of his mind.

(... An auditory hallucination...!?)

No, that wasn't it.

It was telepathy from Natsuhiko. His voice was faint due to all the white noise filtering it out, but Watase could just barely make out his concerned shouts.

(Na... Natsuhiko...!)
{... chibana!? Ms. Tachibana is trying to kill...--...!?}
(Y... yeah...)
{Hang in... -... Prof. Tsubakiyama and Jun...--... be there soon!}

Watase tried to hold out for them, but it didn't look like they'd make it in time.

(I'm... sorry...)

Watase mentally apologized to him.

(It looks like... this is the end of the line... for me...!)
{Wha...! What're you apologizing for!? Are you giving up!?}

(Everything's... going black...)
{--onsense! Are you...--planning on letting it end after a--...}
(I don't want to either... but I just can't...)

But when Watase thought that, he heard another voice.

C-Captain!
!!

--This was no mental voice. It was actually coming from a person's throat. Kazami's strength loosened at that moment.

Stop it, Ms. Tachibana!

Ena took out her gun and pointed it at Kazami.

Oh, a gun, huh...? So you're in league with Watase too!?
It doesn't matter if I am or not! Just let go of Captain Kasasagi already! Or else I'll shoot!
Then please go on ahead. I'll put an end to Watase's life before you do.
Wha...!?
So long as you don't shoot me in the head, I'll have cut off his breathing before I die.
Wh-what're you talking about, Sis!?
What, you ask? Isn't it obvious? I'm saying I'm going to kill Watase.
Wha... That can't be! Why!?
In order to protect his good name.

Kazami answered Jun's question.

You see, Jun, this man is a terrorist.
Huh...?

He was supposed to be a hero, and yet he...
(S... so that's it...!)

Watase finally understood what Kazami had been talking about. He managed to wring his voice out of his nearly crushed throat.

Ka... Kazami... You... realized that I was a terrorist... So you're trying to kill me before my crimes can come to light!?
Yes. Didn't I say from the start that there were no terrorists? That's the way it should be. You will die not as a terrorist, but as a rescue worker. 'Watase Kasasagi, Captain of Sirius' Team A, passed away in the line of duty in an accident at LABO'-- That is the 'truth' that will be revealed to the world once the lockdown ends. So in order to prevent your sins from being revealed... you must die here.

A faint thought entered Watase's head when he heard Kazami finish rambling to herself.

That way, at least he wouldn't sully the good name of Sirius. That way, the truth about Dojima and Hiyama would most likely be lost to the world. Then the following story would be printed on tomorrow's paper:

People would then accept those distorted facts as the truth. Just like how they were all lied to about the truth behind the fire 16 years ago. Then there would be no problems for anyone aside from those directly involved.

(... Maybe it's the perfect way for me to atone for my sins. If that's what Kazami wants too, then...)

But at that moment,

(-----!!)

Those words spurred Watase back into action.

!?

Kazami's hands trembled the moment Watase shouted. This caused her to slightly loosen her grip on the rope, allowing Watase to pull on it with all his might. Jun dashed forward at the same time. She took her army knife out, and cut the rope.

Watase coughed violently, feeling all of the pressure on his throat suddenly relent.

Yes!!

Jun shouted in victory. But Kazami let go of the rope at the exact same time--

Don't interfere!!

--and pushed Jun away with all her strength.

Agh!

Jun's small body was sent flying hard into the wall.

She then slowly collapsed to the floor. A crack then sharply echoed through the air.

!!

Ena had apparently fired a bullet towards Kazami's feet.

That's your last warning shot!
...!!

Hesitation rose to Kazami's face for a second-- She then picked up Subject N's body and ran off.

Hold it!

Ena moved to pursue Kazami, but Watase immediately called for her to stop.

Teach, don't!
Huh!?
Y-you don't have to follow her... It's too dangerous to chase her all alone...
But Captain Kasasagi--!
That's enough. We should be more worried about Moribe now.

Watase looked over at Jun. She was lying out limply on the floor. She had apparently hit her head.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

...Let's just take Moribe with us and regroup with the others. It'll be better for us to stay in a group.

Ena fell silent at the same time they heard Kazami running for Area 1. After a short silence, Watase heard Natsuhiko's telepathy echo in his head.

(Yeah, somehow...)
{...--I've also--... --firmed the situati...--}
(I see. Kazami's been completely consumed by the malice... How're things on your end?)
{We met up with Salyu--...-- e wasn't infected with...-- --... egroup in the control room and figure out what to do n--....}
(The control room? Got it. I'll be heading over there with Teach and Moribe.)

Watase finished answering him, then turned to Ena.

Let's go, Teach. We'll rendezvous with Natsuhiko and the others in the control room.
...Yes.

Ena finally nodded. Watase then carried Jun on his back and started making his way for Area 4.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
And still no one saw fit to tell Salyu that Watase isn't evil anymore.

Also this is apparently a world where everyone is made of paper mache.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 14, 2017

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

INFORMATION: 09/16/2030, 17:23

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

...I contacted Watase and the others. I told them to regroup in the control room.
The control room?
It seems we can steal Brain Cell's root authority with the hacking software Mom prepared. So once we retrieve that software, we'll gather with everyone in the control room.
Fine by me, but-- Isn't that 'Watase' man our enemy?
...He's an ally now. Salyu, I know you might not be able to forgive him, but... could you promise not to attack him just for now? We need his cooperation to get everyone out of here.
... Understood. I'll do as you say, Natsuhiko.
Thanks, Salyu.

And after saying that, Natsuhiko then used Senses Sympathy on Ukita. --His connection with Ukita was plagued with noise as well. Natsuhiko mustered all his strength to send telepathy to Ukita.

{Mr. Ukita, can you hear me!?}

{With the exception of Ms. Tachibana, everyone's malice has been erased! Let's regroup at the control room for now! The shelter's no longer safe with its door broken, so please take Mashiro with you!}

Mashiro was sleeping in the shelter under Ukita's protection. Ukita responded with a strained voice.

{--ntrol room, --ight!? --...--ger that!}

It appears he managed to get through to him. Natsuhiko returned to his body once more and reported to Yuuri and Salyu.

I told Mr. Ukita to bring Mashiro with him to the control room. We'll head to Mom's office first and bring the hacking software to the control room.
Understood.
Then I'll carry you on my back again. Hurry.
R-right.

There was no time to be embarrassed about appearances, so Natsuhiko did as Salyu said.

Mom said it's on the lower shelf farthest back in the room.

And it was locked, just as she had said.

Natsuhiko, out of the way.
Huh? Oh!

Salyu kicked the cabinet door open. And then a stuffed animal-shaped device tumbled out.

No, it's an ARMS unit that's the same model as Alice. ...Wait, now that you mention it, what happened to Alice?
I didn't want to break her, so I hid her in the girl's restroom in Area 4.
I see... that way Watase couldn't find her, huh.
In that case, I'll take this ARMS unit-- Alice Number 2-- with me, then.
Yeah. Let's hurry to the control room.

But right as Natsuhiko said that and they were about to leave the room--

(Hmm...?)

A note posted on the wall suddenly caught Natsuhiko's attention: ''Informational Field Self-Awareness Development Experiment - 9/16 6:00 AM~''

...Hey, Yuuri. Was Mom trying to run some sort of experiment this morning?
Huh? Ah, yes. I had to take a health exam early this morning because of that experiment.
Is that so? Then what exactly is this 'Informational Field Self-Awareness Development Experiment' about?
Hmm, it's hard to explain, but-- Simply put, it's an experiment to 'create a spirit'.
To create a spirit...?

For some reason, Natsuhiko got horribly caught up on those words. He knew this wasn't exactly the time to talk about it-- but he couldn't help but ask questions.

Create a spirit? What does that mean? What's Mom trying to do here?
Hold on, Natsuhiko. Is that something you need to know right now?
I don't know... but it kind of bothers me. I'm sorry, Yuuri, but could you give a rough explanation for me, please?
O-okay. I'll explain.

Yuuri quickly began to explain.

Well, first of all, this is second-hand information from the professor, but... this world is filled with BC particles. And of course, even the human brain is filled with high-energy BC particles. Intracerebral BC particles affect the brain, and are affected by the brain. They have no substance, but they certainly exist. Doesn't that sound similar to something often talked about in the past?
Consciousness... no... the 'spirit'...?
Yes. The professor thought that if what we called the spirit were to actually exist, it might consist of the BC particles that fill the brain.

That sentiment closely resembled the things that the Subject Ns inside of Watase and Ukita had said.

Then let's say you were able to create a lump of high-energy BC particles outside of the brain. Would that make a spirit?
Would it indeed? That was the purpose of today's experiment.

But WX particles are merely lumps of energy without any sort of information. An 'empty spirit', so to speak. But afterwards, I was to enter Area N and continue using BC for several hours.
BC? On whom?
Nobody. Just untargeted telepathy.
Why do that...?
Basically, this is what the professor wanted to test: If I took all of my intracerebral information energy and emitted it outside my brain with BC-- Would that create a copy of my spirit?
...!?

Something like an electric current ran down Natsuhiko's spine as he heard that question. He felt as if there were some sort of truth he never realized hidden within Yuuri's words...

S... so, were you able to make a spirit then?
Hmm... I don't think so. This incident happened before the experiment could start, so--

Before Yuuri could finish, a voice abruptly echoed inside Natsuhiko's head.

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

Natsuhiko gasped.

S-stop!?
Wha-!?

Yuuri and Salyu both opened their eyes and looked at Natsuhiko.

Hikorin, did you use telepathy just now...?
N-no! I didn't!

That's right-- Natsuhiko didn't use telepathy at all. And yet all three of them heard that voice. A voice that clearly sounded like Natsuhiko's telepathy.

(No, that's not all that's strange! Why would I hear my own telepathy!?)

The moment that thought crossed his mind, the voice echoed once more.

Ghh!!
Kyaaahhh!
Ggh, ggh...!

It was telepathy intense enough to shake their very minds.

Wh-what is this!? What's going on!?

As he screamed, Natsuhiko suddenly remembered-- --He had fired out that telepathy before.

Natsuhiko had fired intense telepathy in order to freeze Watase in his tracks.

Ghh!?

For a moment, he had no idea what was going on-- But then he remembered one of Ena's lectures.

So in other words, with or without a target, extraordinarily strong BC can remain in place for a while...

Huh? Was that voice telepathy you used before?
Yeah. I don't know why, but it looks like it's come back.
May be the information energy stayed around? It's a rare occurrence, but it does--

Before Yuuri could finish--

Th-there's another me!?
Wha-wha-wha...

It was a somewhat blurry, surreal visage.

(A phantom!?)

With Natsuhiko at a loss for words, the phantom Yuuri spoke.

{... But I'm sure you'll be okay without me now. You've noticed it these past few days, haven't you? You're not alone, Hikorin.}

Those words jogged Natsuhiko's memory.

Th-this... is from the time Yuuri's phantom disappeared...!
Ah... Now my telepathy's come back?

That was the telepathy Yuuri had used a few hours ago to separate Natsuhiko from the phantom. It was high-grade telepathy that worked not only to cause an auditory hallucination, but a visual one as well. --And as soon as they had realized what happened, the phantom disappeared.

...Why did that happen over and over?
H-hmm, I wonder why... Perhaps it's because we've used BC repeatedly in a WX particle-rich environment? Such an environment would indeed make it easier for information energy to linger...
I see... Hopefully that's all it was.
As long as you know the cause, it doesn't really matter. There are more important issues at hand. We should finish the idle chatter and continue moving forward.
Y-you're right.

Indeed. They couldn't just stand there forever. The three kids took Alice Number 2 with them as they headed towards the control room.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 14, 2017

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
:10bux: says this is foreshadowing for some re-malice-ing.

Note: Too poor to make a real bet.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

TheMcD posted:

For some reason, Natsuhiko got horribly caught up on those words. For some reason, Natsuhiko got horribly caught up on those words.
Is there an echo in here? Echo in here?

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

TheMcD posted:

For some reason, Natsuhiko got horribly caught up on those words. For some reason, Natsuhiko got horribly caught up on those words.

Evidently.

Also, wow. They learn about the possibility of 'BC spirits' lingering after use of BC, and at this point, when BC levels are lowering, the telepathy starts recurring? Talk about narrative convenience...

Speaking of which, while Subject N is/was certainly the most powerful (or at least prolific) BC user here, it's Nat that was stuck there for hours in Area N with nothing better to do than mess around with Watase's head.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Haifisch posted:

Is there an echo in here? Echo in here?

Sometimes, the OCR hasn't finished putting the next line into my clipboard yet, so I paste the same thing twice. This was one of those times.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Oh no, the backup systems restarted the ghost reactor! It's ghost-o'clock now!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah the means Nagisa is coming back.

What's OCR btw?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I have a strong feeling we're going to be seeing some time fuckery by the time we're done here.

SSNeoman posted:

What's OCR btw?
IIRC it's a screen-to-text transcriber, so that McD doesn't have to manually type out the whole script of this LP.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SSNeoman posted:

What's OCR btw?

Optical Character Recognition. It's a type of program that looks at the text box and parses the picture data into text data I can paste into my update text files. Basically, it's the thing that saves me from having to type all this poo poo by hand.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Holy poo poo. I need that in my life.

That poo poo is reason number 1 I didn't make a new LP.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SSNeoman posted:

Holy poo poo. I need that in my life.

That poo poo is reason number 1 I didn't make a new LP.

There's a lot of OCR options out there - Capture2Text is what I use. I'm not sure how well it fares with a bit more adversity - I made the text boxes non-transparent in the options to make sure it doesn't get confused - but it's been a lifesaver so far.

Alas, I'll have to go back to murdering my hands for Vampires Dawn 2.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

TheMcD posted:

There's a lot of OCR options out there - Capture2Text is what I use. I'm not sure how well it fares with a bit more adversity - I made the text boxes non-transparent in the options to make sure it doesn't get confused - but it's been a lifesaver so far.

Alas, I'll have to go back to murdering my hands for Vampires Dawn 2.

As many Pokemon characters have said, the power of science is indeed staggering.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
For PC games another option is text hooking software, which catches the text as the game sends it to the display functions and dumps it to another window or the clipboard. I've only ever seen people use it as helper software when playing games in foreign languages, but in principle there's no reason why it shouldn't be useful for LPs too.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Junpei posted:

As many Pokemon characters have said, the power of science is indeed staggering.

It's rad as hell. It lets me do this:

NRVNQSR posted:

For PC games another option is text hooking software, which catches the text as the game sends it to the display functions and dumps it to another window or the clipboard. I've only ever seen people use it as helper software when playing games in foreign languages, but in principle there's no reason why it shouldn't be useful for LPs too.

Yeah, I've occasionally used one of those to use with Japanese games, but since I record footage and then make the updates based on that footage, OCR works better for my case. If you're somebody who makes updates live, then text hooking software is better since it can perfectly grab text as opposed to the approximation that is OCR. The thread has been good with noticing the occasional typos that sneak in.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
uh, Miyoko was trying to create a "spirit" with BC particles? what the gently caress? that's the sort of poo poo that in any sane reality you would need to get very, very high up government approval to do, and you probably wouldn't get it. Which is just as well, because it's an experiment that is either stupid (if it can't work) or monstrous (if it can), and at any rate should not be conducted.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Spatula City posted:

uh, Miyoko was trying to create a "spirit" with BC particles? what the gently caress? that's the sort of poo poo that in any sane reality you would need to get very, very high up government approval to do, and you probably wouldn't get it. Which is just as well, because it's an experiment that is either stupid (if it can't work) or monstrous (if it can), and at any rate should not be conducted.

To be fair there have been stupider experiments with even less proof of it potentially working.

Men who stare at goats, etc, etc.

It's like that, only years later they found out it could work.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Heart and pain: 09/16/2030, 17:25

Watase carried Jun as he headed for the control room with Ena.

...You sure she isn't heavy, Captain Kasasagi?
Yeah, no problems...

Though if he were to be honest, his body was so exhausted that it was taking genuine effort to carry her. His leg was also still in pain from being kicked by Salyu, but he did his best to endure it.

(I deserve at least this much pain, anyway...)

Just when Watase thought that, he heard Jun groaning behind him.

...Mmm...

The sound of Watase's and Ena's voices seemed to have woken her.

...You awake?
C-Captain...? ...Wait, you're carrying me?
Yeah. Had to after you lost consciousness back there.
I... see.
We're meeting up with the others in the control room now. We'll be there soon, so I'll keep on carrying you the rest of the way.
... ...Okay, sure.

Jun hesitated for a moment, but decided to go along with what he said. --The three of them continued traveling for a while in silence. Jun eventually broke the ice.

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

...I just had a dream.
You dreamt? You mean when you were passed out?
Well, I dunno, really... Maybe it was a little earlier than that.

Jun said that uncertainly. Watase was still curious, but he decided to ask a different question.

...What was the dream about?
It was from when I was a kid...

Watase gasped when he heard that.

Wait, you mean...
Hey, Captain... now I finally figured it out.

Don't you remember? You carried me out of that room and got me to safety...

Watase silently nodded in response to Jun's whispers.

...Why didn't you say anything?
How could I? I'm no longer the hero you think I am.
...That's not true.

Jun then spoke to Watase as if to break herself free of her sorrow.

You worked your hardest to save everyone's lives, didn't you? You're still the hero I admired even now.

Watase couldn't nod to that declaration.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

(A hero...? -Me-...?)

Jun had no idea of what was to come. That Watase planned on going back to Q with Yuuri in tow once they got out of there.

(If I don't, I...!)

Watase didn't speak any further. Nor did Jun or Ena. In the end, the silence between them all remained unbroken-- And they made their way out of the connecting passageway.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

PURPOSE OF POWER: 09/16/2030, 17:27

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

Mashiro!!

Salyu rushed up to Mashiro as soon as she saw her.

Mashiro! Ahh, how could this happen...

Salyu looked at Mashiro tearfully. Apparently her blood transfusion was over since the kit had been disconnected, but Mashiro was still unconscious. Salyu's calls were left unanswered.

Who did this to Mashiro!?
Well...!

As Natsuhiko stumbled with his words, Watase, Ena, and Jun arrived. Watase let Jun down and spoke.

...Natsuhiko.

For some reason, Natsuhiko couldn't say a word. But before things went completely silent, Yuuri spoke up.

So eight of us have been gathered now...
Yes, so Ms. Tachibana's the only--

Salyu interrupted Ena.

Wait.
!?
I honestly don't understand anything that's going on... Someone explain. Anyone. Why is Mashiro so heavily injured? Who exactly are you, Ena? Why did you close your heart to us? Ukita, you were the insider, weren't you? Jun, are you an upstanding rescue worker? Or another terrorist? And you-- 'Watase'.

Salyu glared at him.

You're a terrorist beyond a shadow of a doubt, but...
...!
Were you the one who hurt Mashiro? If so, then I definitely cannot forgive you.

Salyu's stifled voice echoed in the quiet room.

W-whoa, calm down, Salyu.
Calm down? How do you expect me to calm down? Answer me, Watase. What have you done today?
...I...

Watase sunk into silence with a bitter look on his face.

(Crap... I knew this would happen...!)

He understood how Salyu felt. But they couldn't afford to waste time here.

(It'll take way too much time to explain everything from the beginning! But can we get her to understand with just a rough explanation?)

As Natsuhiko hesitated, Watase softly started to speak.

...Salyu, you're exactly right...
!! Watase, don't!

Watase ignored Natsuhiko's warning and continued.

I wounded that girl. Regardless of the circumstances, the truth stands that I shot her. I'm sorry...!

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

--!

For a second, Natsuhiko thought he saw intense killing intent emanating from Salyu's small body.

Unforgivable!

Everyone immediately started trying to hold Salyu back.

Stop it, Ms. Sannomiya! There were circumstances beyond his control!
Th-that's right, Louise!
True, this man may be a terrorist, but on the other hand--

Shut up! To hell with your circumstances! I'll never forgive this man!

Salyu shouted and started hitting Watase.

!!

Salyu's fist sank into Watase's face. Her leg into his stomach. Watase gave no resistance and allowed Salyu to keep hitting him. Ena frantically held Salyu back and Yuuri screamed bitterly.

Please, stop! Captain Kasasagi only shot Mashiron because of BC! He was infected with malice because--
Shut up, shut up, shut up!

Nobody could stop Salyu. Natsuhiko thought desperately.

(Is there nothing we can do to get Salyu to understand!? Some way to get her to see the whole story of what happened today!?)

But most of what happened was beyond describing.

Words alone could not truly convey all their feelings. --But the moment that thought crossed Natsuhiko's mind, he recalled a word Yuuri had just said a moment ago.

(... BC!? That's it. With BC-- we can convey all the feelings that words alone cannot! To everyone here!)

Natsuhiko took that flash of inspiration and concentrated on it. He recalled what he had heard in class. ''BC isn't limited to conveying voices and emotions. Theoretically, it can convey sight and other senses as well. It can even convey a large amount of information instantaneously.''

(That's it! The opposite of Senses Sympathy! I'll do the reverse of reading memories-- I'll convey my memories to everyone else!)

Not even Natsuhiko himself knew if that was the correct thing to do. Perhaps that too was nothing more than him abusing his abilities however he saw fit.

(But it's probably the only way I can put a stop to this fight!)

That determination roused Natsuhiko's memory. His sharpened concentration caused his senses to fade. Every sight he saw and sound he heard up until now came forth from the back of his mind.

♪ BGM: Extra-Sensory Perception

!?

Salyu gasped and turned around. And during that fleeting, ever-so-short moment--

{Salyu, everyone, behold!! These are the routes that brought all eight of us here!}

!!

Natsuhiko put all his strength into using BC.

His brain loaded its information onto BC particles and released them into the world. Without Natsuhiko confirming any Characteristic brain waveforms, the nondirectional BC-- The ''untargeted telepathy'', reached everyone's brains.

The memories depicted in Natsuhiko's brain.

Everyone's minds connected and experienced the same things, through the same perspectives and same senses.

Watase's past. Yuuri's feelings. Mashiro's history and everyone else's.

And everyone's personal experiences of today.

Watase's terrorist plot and its failure. The existence of Subject N and her malice.

The bomb's time limit. Kazami's current status--

All of that information rose up in the span of a split second, and then...

...vanished.

(... Did I get through to everyone?)

Natsuhiko eased off his concentration, and his senses returned. And before his eyes, he saw Salyu and the others standing stock still in shock.

Th-that was...
Ah...
Captain Kasasagi's past...

They muttered with hollow voices.

No, not just his...
Yuuri's memories, and Natsuhiko's memories, and more...!?
(D... did I do it?)

She spoke with a shamed look on her face.

...Not fair.
...Not fair...?
I don't understand the minds of others, and yet... For the first time... I understood people's feelings... Even that man's... Watase's...!

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

Salyu glared at Watase.

I... I understand you now, but just a little bit. How you grieved over Wataru's death, how you harbored rage towards LABO, and why you became a terrorist. And the truth of how after Natsuhiko erased your memories, you exerted all your effort into saving everyone.
...I still don't feel like forgiving you... But just for now, I'll hold off on hitting you.

Natsuhiko clenched his fist firmly at those words.

...Thank you.

Watase spoke with genuine regret. Natsuhiko whispered to Salyu.

Thanks, Salyu.
Mmm...

Salyu nodded ambiguously. Natsuhiko shared the knowledge he had with everybody in the room. Though it was not as if he had conveyed every single thing he had observed. He tried to hide things that some would not want others to know about, and he only intended to convey the parts relevant to each individual's beliefs. And as a result, perhaps everyone's mutual understanding was a little lacking in some regards, but--

(I'm sure it'll be okay... I'm sure everyone here could come to terms with each other at least a little, regardless...)

That was what he had hoped. Even if they couldn't understand each other, they could at least come to terms with each other. Everyone's tense expressions softened ever so slightly.

...Salyu, Captain Kasasagi did indeed shoot Mashiro, but... But you know, it was also Captain Kasasagi that rescued her when she fainted and treated her injuries.
I know...

Salyu switched her gaze to Mashiro.

If it weren't for that, then I really wouldn't be able to forgive--
...!

Natsuhiko looked at Mashiro too, and then-- he noticed something: Her eyes were slowly opening.

M... Mashiro?
...Natsuhiko.
Mashiro! You're awake!?

Mashiro nodded groggily and quietly stood up.

I saw that whole thing just now too. I saw what happened while I was unconscious... and everyone's pasts too.

Mashiro then looked at Yuuri.

And... everything that happened to you these past nine years, Yuuri...!
M... Mashiron...
...!

When Yuuri said her name-- Tears spilled from Mashiro's eyes.

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

Yuuriiiii!!

Mashiro hugged Yuuri.

You're alive! You survived!!
M-Mashiron!
I'm sorry, I didn't know a thing...! I thought I was the only one who had to live with bitter feelings...! But Yuuri, you had to stay down here for nine years... unable to tell anyone anything...
I-it's okay, Mashiron...!

Tears spilled from Yuuri's eyes as well.

Thanks for finding even someone like me worthy of your tears... I'm so glad I met you, Mashiron... I'm so glad that we're friends. I love you, Mashiron...
Me too... me too...!

The two girls hugged each other in tears. Natsuhiko and the others watched them silently. Nobody said a thing. Because without a word, the two girls' feelings were conveyed to everyone else...

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

It's a good thing experiencing other peoples' memories has no side effects.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Well that sure was a convenient way to bring everyone up to speed at the same time.

It definitely won't cause any more weird BC ghosts like the ones we heard of Natsuhiko a few updates ago.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

At this point I'm predicting that the "spirit" LABO was trying to create will absorb everything Natsuhiko just sent out, along with the malice from Subject N. The climactic showdown will be Subject N appearing to each character and telling each of them how much they suck using their own voice and memories, and proclaiming that none of them can understand one another. Then Natsuhiko will counter with the spiel I posted earlier about how humanity doesn't need BC if they just Do Their Best and... well I don't know how they'll actually defeat the spirit but I assume it'll happen somehow.

I'd love to be proven wrong but I don't have high hopes for the resolution of the plot at the moment.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Oh no Natsuhiko, you fed everyone's memories into the Ghost Reactor!

Edit: e;fb :argh:

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

At this point I'm predicting that the "spirit" LABO was trying to create will absorb everything Natsuhiko just sent out, along with the malice from Subject N. The climactic showdown will be Subject N appearing to each character and telling each of them how much they suck using their own voice and memories, and proclaiming that none of them can understand one another. Then Natsuhiko will counter with the spiel I posted earlier about how humanity doesn't need BC if they just Do Their Best and... well I don't know how they'll actually defeat the spirit but I assume it'll happen somehow.

I'd love to be proven wrong but I don't have high hopes for the resolution of the plot at the moment.

I'm going to counter with the fact that the fight was only stopped because of BC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Cyouni posted:

I'm going to counter with the fact that the fight was only stopped because of BC.
I don't really see how that's a counter. Hell, that could be Subject N's argument: people can't understand each other without magic powers that 99.9% of them don't have. You don't get to be a villain of this kind in a Japanese game without a firm belief that mankind deserves to be destroyed for its failings.

Really my only question is whether Subject N wants to kill literally everyone, or infect everyone with malice and create a new world out of the people strong enough to survive. Could go either way.

• Locked thread