Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Jethz
Sep 17, 2004
I was kinda hoping she would figure it out from David actually stapling his injuries while Walter just self healed when he got stabbed by David. but I guess that was too easy.

Sometimes I feel like some scripts could do with some serious reviews before they actualy start filming. But what else is new right?

I have to admit I sat on the edge of my seat when David was facing off with the white proto alien. Nice bit of tension there.

Still liked it, but if you start overthinking it, it kinda falls apart and you just have to accept the flaws and enjoy the cools bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So other than the major trailers I pretty much went into this blind.

Those trailers represent the film... In no way.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jethz posted:

I was kinda hoping she would figure it out from David actually stapling his injuries while Walter just self healed when he got stabbed by David. but I guess that was too easy.

Sometimes I feel like some scripts could do with some serious reviews before they actualy start filming. But what else is new right?

I have to admit I sat on the edge of my seat when David was facing off with the white proto alien. Nice bit of tension there.

Still liked it, but if you start overthinking it, it kinda falls apart and you just have to accept the flaws and enjoy the cools bits.

He could tell she was suspicious, which is why he then said 'It was my -->DUTY<--' and the camera lingered on his severed hand to emphasise he was the good boy friendly android

White Rabbit posted:

She mentions the lake cabin she wanted to build upon arrival and he doesnt know what the gently caress. Yes they've spent several hours - maybe days actually - together after they got back to the ship, and she figures it out only after trapping herself in a stasis chamber because of a bullshit talking point.

No character in covenant feels real enough that I even thought they were dumb, I was always thinking about the script and how uninspired and lazy it was. Characters are just motivated by the next plot beat.

Of course that's not Covenant's biggest offense, which in my mind is the whole sellout thing. Alien is a scifi movie about blue-collar space truckers that get killed by a monstruous organic entity, with disturbing body horror/birth/rape themes sold by amazing creature design perfectly. Covenant... is not that. It's talking points about deism and creation might not be SO lazy, but the ways it ties in to Alien certainly are. (spoilers about themes in Covenant, no plot points) Here creation goes hand in hand with death, which is cool, and it's represented by... black goo. Like ink you know, as in, a writer uses ink on paper. To create. Create a story about death. Aliens sure like to kill people. Ink creates Aliens on paper, but also in the movie. Also black ink can turn into giant gently caress-you-plague-clouds that wipe out all engineers so that's that. So ink can kill even gods, on paper as I create my story. But also in the movie. That's deep.

Except it's not deep, it's lazy as poo poo, and thematically has nothing to do Alien. In a scifi series about gods, creation and death, the Xenomorphs are tacked in just to cash in on the franchise. Consider how Scott prefers to talk about engineers in Prometheus, or his droids Walter and David in Covenant. Prometheus and Covenant explore themes that could have done without the Xenomorphs entirely, except Scott would have had to have an actual scifi movie script to back that poo poo up.

Franchise fans couldn't stop QQing that Prometheus only indirectly linked back to Alien though, I'm fairly sure having the mainline Xenomorphs turn up and mirk some dudes in Xenomorph ways was a studio stipulation for the film being made. I agree the film would have been much better as a direct Prometheus sequel though, it's pretty clear the filmmakers were way more interested in cycles of life and David being a weirdo than they were rehashing Alien for the n-th time

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Nroo posted:

This is the kind of info I was looking for, thanks.

Don't listen to that dweeb about AvP()R, the theatrical cut is a garbage fire.
The uncut version of the film is great, but has the predator as the main character, all about it's quest, the humans are just in the background.
The theatrical cut took a bunch of the predator's story out, tried to make the humans the focus and that the predator hunting them down for no reason.
Like, I saw the theatrical after seeing uncut first, and it's obscene how butchered the film is.

Steve2911 posted:

So other than the major trailers I pretty much went into this blind.

Those trailers represent the film... In no way.

Ah and just last week everyone was posting how it seems they had seen the entire film due to the trailers.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

wyoming posted:

Ah and just last week everyone was posting how it seems they had seen the entire film due to the trailers.

That's fair. It's a shame Ridley couldn't have just made Prometheus 2 though. This would've been a stronger film if they didn't need to get a load of slasher film Xeno footage to fill the trailers with.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

wyoming posted:

The uncut version of the film is great, but has the predator as the main character, all about it's quest, the humans are just in the background.
The theatrical cut took a bunch of the predator's story out, tried to make the humans the focus and that the predator hunting them down for no reason.
Like, I saw the theatrical after seeing uncut first, and it's obscene how butchered the film is.

Where did you find the uncut version? That sounds really interesting but all I'm seeing with a lite google search is a unrated version of the movie.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

BexGu posted:

Where did you find the uncut version? That sounds really interesting but all I'm seeing with a lite google search is a unrated version of the movie.

It was streaming on HBO earlier this year. Some of the blurays seem to have both versions of the film though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

We interrupt talking about the new Alien movie for this update on the other franchise.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Paragon8 posted:

If the next Alien isn't set in a creepy hive-ified Covenant centred around Daniels and Tennessee waking up or having some salvage team discover it they'll be missing a major trick but that'd draw heavily from Cameron's vision

Probably a safe bet to assume that none of those people on the Covenant are waking up again, ever. If they're lucky they'll die in their sleep. I am loathe to think of what sort of twisted poo poo David can get up to with 1000 human embryos, a bunch of Black goo, and nothing but time on his hands.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Steve2911 posted:

That's fair. It's a shame Ridley couldn't have just made Prometheus 2 though. This would've been a stronger film if they didn't need to get a load of slasher film Xeno footage to fill the trailers with.

Slippery slope. Next movie will be overly Prometheus.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The MSJ posted:

It was inspired by Ezra Miller in Fantastic Beasts.

He is such a doofy-looking dude. It's like Adam Driver and DJ Qualls got blended in David Brundle's Telepod.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Shaocaholica posted:

Slippery slope. Next movie will be overly Prometheus.

If that's the film he wants to make that's fine. I didn't get the impression that the film we got this time around was what he wanted to do.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Steve2911 posted:

If that's the film he wants to make that's fine. I didn't get the impression that the film we got this time around was what he wanted to do.

These movies have been weird for him. He initially wanted to have the xeno in Prometheus but Fox wanted him to completely remove it. He re-worked everything around the premise of the xeno not being in there and wanted to tell a different, more interesting story. Then after Prom came out everyone was saying "where the gently caress is the xeno?".

quote:

"What changed was the reaction to Prometheus, which was a pretty good ground zero reaction. It went straight up there, and we discovered from it that [the fans] were really frustrated.

"They wanted to see more of the original [monster] and I thought he was definitely cooked, with an orange in his mouth. So I thought, 'Wow, OK, I'm wrong'."

Alien Covenant is the end result of Fox meddling in poo poo and then having to backpeddle to please fans.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Sigh. They should have somehow let Blomkamp or whoever make an Aliens sequel so Ridley could focus on Prometheus.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

wyoming posted:

Don't listen to this guy regardless, all cuts of AvP-R is a garbage fire for idiots.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.

Timby posted:

He is such a doofy-looking dude. It's like Adam Driver and DJ Qualls got blended in David Brundle's Telepod.

Seth Brundle. More importantly though, that is hilariously accurate.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The fact that anyone is talking about the nuances of AvP in a Covenant discussion is dumb, no matter the initial ask.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Movie isn't out in America yet. I have the buy the time somehow.

Which did include watching AvP-R last night and it's really bad and ugly and every creature effect looks horrific. The Aliens stumble around. It's really embarrassing. It's like that fan film S.E.E.D that came out years ago.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
On a similar note(in the US) loving YouTube channels talking about Cov spoilers right in the title. So even if I skip the video contents I still have to read the spoiler title. Guh.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Plavski posted:

These movies have been weird for him. He initially wanted to have the xeno in Prometheus but Fox wanted him to completely remove it. He re-worked everything around the premise of the xeno not being in there and wanted to tell a different, more interesting story. Then after Prom came out everyone was saying "where the gently caress is the xeno?".

Alien Covenant is the end result of Fox meddling in poo poo and then having to backpeddle to please fans.

I don't know that premise is accurate. Every interview with Scott after Prometheus indicated it was more or less the story he wanted to tell and if anything the Xeno being shoehorned in at the end was a Fox thing, not the opposite.

He wanted to tell the story of the Engineers, wrapped in a larger context. In one interview he mentioned an idea they had but dropped where the Engineers were bent on punishing humanity because they killed one of their representatives - meaning, Jesus was an Engineer. I am totally not making this up, that's what he said: http://www.fandango.com/movie-news/interview-sir-ridley-scott-explains-prometheus-explores-our-past-and-teases-future-alien-stories-716238

Apparently made it as far as an early script.

It's too simple to say "Covenant is Scott's Attack of the Clones - a bad attempt at fan service after the first one". For one I don't think he takes fan reactions that personally.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So the alien only kills people if they pose a threat. Otherwise it will try to capture them? Or kill and eat? What does the extended universe say? Alien3 alien seemed to like to nibble on people but also killed quite a few unarmed english men.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Ixian posted:

I don't know that premise is accurate. Every interview with Scott after Prometheus indicated it was more or less the story he wanted to tell and if anything the Xeno being shoehorned in at the end was a Fox thing, not the opposite.

He wanted to tell the story of the Engineers, wrapped in a larger context. In one interview he mentioned an idea they had but dropped where the Engineers were bent on punishing humanity because they killed one of their representatives - meaning, Jesus was an Engineer. I am totally not making this up, that's what he said: http://www.fandango.com/movie-news/interview-sir-ridley-scott-explains-prometheus-explores-our-past-and-teases-future-alien-stories-716238

Apparently made it as far as an early script.

It's too simple to say "Covenant is Scott's Attack of the Clones - a bad attempt at fan service after the first one". For one I don't think he takes fan reactions that personally.

This is what Scott said about fans:

quote:

The fans, in a funny kind of way – they’re not the final word – but they are the reflection of your doubts about something, and then you realise ‘I was wrong’ or ‘I was right’. I think that’s where it comes in. I think you’re not sensible if you don’t actually take [the fans’ reaction] into account.
https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/alien-covenant-ridley-scott-admits-got-prometheus-wrong-teases-two-alien-sequels-exclusive-144721534.html

And re: Fox removing the xeno:

quote:

I did have facehuggers in my original draft... The creature did change in some pretty dramatic ways from draft to draft. But the most dramatic change was the removal of the xenomorph from the film. That was a shift that happened at the same time as I stepped off the film. A lot of that push came from the studio very high up; they were interested in doing something original and not one more franchise film. That really came to a head at the studio - the major push to focus on the new mythology of 'Prometheus' and dial the Aliens as far back as we could came down from the studio.

http://screencrush.com/prometheus-behind-the-scenes-facehuggers/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

So the alien only kills people if they pose a threat. Otherwise it will try to capture them? Or kill and eat? What does the extended universe say? Alien3 alien seemed to like to nibble on people but also killed quite a few unarmed english men.

It's not really clear. In the original Alien it kidnaps Brett and Dallas but then it pretty blatantly murders Parker and does whatever the gently caress it does to Lambert. The Aliens in Aliens kidnap everyone they can and the only person they kill onscreen intentionally is the airship pilot. (Which can be written off as trying to prevent the escape of the others.)

So basically they do whatever the gently caress they want, they aliens man.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

It's not really clear. In the original Alien it kidnaps Brett and Dallas but then it pretty blatantly murders Parker and does whatever the gently caress it does to Lambert. The Aliens in Aliens kidnap everyone they can and the only person they kill onscreen intentionally is the airship pilot. (Which can be written off as trying to prevent the escape of the others.)

We get the double-jaw funtimes with Burk and Gorman.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

That second quote is Jon Spaihts, by the way.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

That second quote is Jon Spaihts, by the way.

Indeed it is.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

ImpAtom posted:

"Don't kill me bro!"

*alien carries victim to be implanted*

*victim whips out concealed taser*

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Plavski posted:

We get the double-jaw funtimes with Burk and Gorman.

Burke gets carried off though even with the double-jaw. (At least if you go by the deleted scene.) Apparently that poo poo ain't inherently lethal.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you want head canon (heh) explanation, I think of it as a little headbutt that knocks you out. But it can also shoot through your brain if it wants you dead.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Burke gets carried off though even with the double-jaw. (At least if you go by the deleted scene.) Apparently that poo poo ain't inherently lethal.

Aliens is a weirdly bloodless movie, like Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The amount of real blood in both is pretty limited for their reputations. In Aliens, as you say, most everyone just gets carted off and gobbed on. In Chainsaw, it's just a few bits here and there for spice.

vv If you watch it again, he gets double jawed just before the explosion, but as Imp says, that wasn't enough to kill Burke, so maybe he was just gonna give 'em the old stone cold stunner.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 15, 2017

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Gorman didn't get double-jawed. He got blowed up.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Gorman didn't get double-jawed. He got blowed up.

Could be both.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Plavski posted:

Aliens is a weirdly bloodless movie, like Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The amount of real blood in both is pretty limited for their reputations. In Aliens, as you say, most everyone just gets carted off and gobbed on. In Chainsaw, it's just a few bits here and there for spice.

Yeah, the only real moments of blood are the splatter from the double-jaw, the chestburster and (technically) Bishop being ripped in half. Everyone else either dies a fairly bloodless death except maybe Drake who gets a pretty nasty one but more of a gross makeup effect than gore.

Also worth noting is that the Aliens don't actually kill anyone during the big slaughter in the hive. Everyone who dies onscreen is the side effect of friendly fire. The others are just dragged away.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol if they had 1000 disposable troops they could have rescued them all and surgically fixed the ones that were impregnated. Everyone gets a shotgun and a tracker. They can't grab them all!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol if they had 1000 disposable troops they could have rescued them all and surgically fixed the ones that were impregnated. Everyone gets a shotgun and a tracker. They can't grab them all!

A 'troop surge', if you will

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Would love to see this just to see hordes of xenomorphs resorting to the facehugger pie to the face technique seen at the one minute mark of this AvP: Evolution trailer to keep up the pace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POBuDhrIKyY

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Huh I didn't realise AC wasn't out in the US yet. That explains the relative lack of chatter.

After mulling it over I'm not sure whether I despise the film for what it was or respect what it clearly wanted to be.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I guess nobody ever made a good AvP game where you can play horde as marines against aliens with auto turrets and more than 3? marines?

e: yes I will talk about anything right now to deflect any spoilers from Cov chat.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Shaocaholica posted:

I guess nobody ever made a good AvP game where you can play horde as marines against aliens with auto turrets and more than 3? marines?

Natural Selection 2, its got auto turrets and marines in spades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Neo Rasa posted:

Would love to see this just to see hordes of xenomorphs resorting to the facehugger pie to the face technique seen at the one minute mark of this AvP: Evolution trailer to keep up the pace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POBuDhrIKyY

Yeah that facehugger dunk was awesome