Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I haven't read very much Green Arrow before but I like the first trade and I think it's been fairly well received.

Keep in mind I'm talking about the 2001 series after Oliver is resurrected by Hal Jordan, not the current Rebirth series. That series is my second favorite Rebirth book after Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

X-O posted:

Keep in mind I'm talking about the 2001 series after Oliver is resurrected by Hal Jordan, not the current Rebirth series. That series is my second favorite Rebirth book after Superman.

Apologies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kevin Smith's first GA arc is a wonderful, fun romp through Ollie's life. But he clearly didn't originally plan to stay on the book past that arc as the second one is a mess. Brad Metlzer comes on for his only good comics ever and turns in a great buddy road trip with Roy and Ollie that has an incredibly touching addition to his history. And Ollie beats Solomon Grundy in a fight.

Winnick's run starts out very messy and it's helped by lackluster artists through the bulk of it. It isn't until the One Year Later arc where he gets a competent artist in Scott McDaniel and they take Queen in an entirely new direction (which the tv series draws massive inspiration from). Everything beyond Winnick's tenure up until the Lemire run is quite bad.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

When I was in high school I thought the Onomatopoeia arc was the poo poo, but it doesn't hold up well. I'll nth loving Archer's Quest, though.

I liked GA One Year Later when he was mayor and fighting Deathstroke. Before that for some reason I remember Ollie having a romantic interest that turned out to be Grundy's granddaughter and then later she became a Grundy or something like that.

Green Arrow is probably my favorite characters, so it's so rewarding to have his comics be good again.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's a few issues missing from the collections, issues 22-25, looking it up it seems it's a standalone Count Vertigo story and then a crossover story with Green Lantern about some drug dealing aliens? Uh, anyone know if they're any good because it doesn't really sound like it? I don't really like Green Lantern stuff at all so unless there's some vital Green Arrow stuff in those issues I think I'll just stick to going right in to the next collection.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Skip the GL crossover. It kinda took place during the nadir of Kyle's solo career where he was off in space being written by Ben Raab, aka the dude who had Jade cheat on Kyle with some other guy in Kyle's apartment.

Not that the GA portion of the story fared much better. Winick basically ignores how Meltzer had Ollie and Kyle bond and become friendly during Archer's Quest, and just has the two being childish and antagonistic at each other again so they can re-relearn the power of teamwork and so forth.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

Skip the GL crossover. It kinda took place during the nadir of Kyle's solo career where he was off in space being written by Ben Raab, aka the dude who had Jade cheat on Kyle with some other guy in Kyle's apartment.

Not that the GA portion of the story fared much better. Winick basically ignores how Meltzer had Ollie and Kyle bond and become friendly during Archer's Quest, and just has the two being childish and antagonistic at each other again so they can re-relearn the power of teamwork and so forth.

I think you have the writers backwards as Raab is credited for the Green Arrow issues and Winick is credited for the Green Lantern issues. That's why I had assumed it wasn't included in the first Winick collection because he doesn't actually start on the series until after it's over.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

X-O posted:

I think you have the writers backwards as Raab is credited for the Green Arrow issues and Winick is credited for the Green Lantern issues. That's why I had assumed it wasn't included in the first Winick collection because he doesn't actually start on the series until after it's over.

The Black Ring quest was very much the crux of Raab's run on Kyle. I once did an issue breakdown of Volume 3.

http://www.cbr.com/green-arrowlantern-shuffle-dc-exclusive-winick-to-write-green-arrow-raab-on-green-lantern/

In fact here's an old rear end interview about it.

I will not mince words, I hate Raab's run on Green Lantern. I hate it so much. I legitimately consider it to be "Worst Runs" levels of bad on a book. It utterly killed the book, it featured such lovely standouts as Kyle Rayner deciding that he couldn't free a slave ship of underage slaves that would be sold as prostitutes, because you see that might reveal that he is in fact a Green Lantern. Next issue he drops a green construct orbital bombardment on a planet.

Like the sliding scale of Kyle stories is literally the scale of his writers in order. Marz was the best, and every time he returned to the character he nailed him. Winnick was the mid-ground, able to write some nice plots for the guy, but also... well... kinda ignored most of what went before. I still maintain Ion is a good case study of "So I'm a god now, what do I do with these God-like powers?" And Nero is an interesting mirror villain (Even if I much prefer Effigy). And Raab is just... blah.

I really pity Marz, because he got saddled with the final 6 issues and it's like "Okay, so Jade's cheating on Kyle, John's girlfriend is leaving him, also you're single handedly tasked with severing all ties this character has to Earth so he'll never want to come back." And then "No wait, we might want to bring him back, don't kill his mother." Then his mother died anyway during Sinestro Corp War.

Still, featured Kyle drugged out of his mind battling Fatality and then creating a construct Calvin to throw a Jetplane at her... always hated that sweater costume though. God is it ugly.

EDIT: Just looked at my old issues. XO is correct, They swapped just after this. Didn't stop it being dumb as balls.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 13, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh that's really weird. So Ben Raab wrote Green Arrow for a few issues during the crossover, while Winick finished out his Green Lantern run, and then they swapped places so Winick started on Green Arrow on issue #26 while Raab switched to Green Lantern on #165.

I bet someone at DC thought they were real clever for doing that. :sweatdrop: Too bad the crossover still sucked.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Man. Future Quest ended so beautifully, I almost cried at the "For Darwyn" on the last page.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Man. Future Quest ended so beautifully, I almost cried at the "For Darwyn" on the last page.

I believe today marks a year since he passed. It still sucks.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/863767121649700864
:v:

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/863940804091363329

so, it's happening

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

drat, why'd it have to be Gary Frank?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Huh? Gary Frank completely rules at Superman. This is great news.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Huh? Gary Frank completely rules at Superman. This is great news.

I strongly disagree, but I know other people like him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh neat!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

X-O posted:

drat, why'd it have to be Gary Frank?

I'm going to fight you so hard, X-O!! :argh:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Well, at least it sounds like this Watchmen crossover poo poo will be safely contained to one book. For now, anyway.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pubic works project posted:

I'm going to fight you so hard, X-O!! :argh:

I mean if the alternative was Jim Lee or something then bring on Gary Frank. I'm not really a big fan of his but his stuff is tolerable. I'd have just personally rather had someone else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Everything I've done in comics had lead up to making GBS threads on Alan Moore and blaming him for my own flaws as a writer" does actually sound pretty accurate.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Moore is probably into that. Geoff might be a bit too old though.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

quote:

"When Rebirth kicked off, and I wrote the special and worked with all the teams, and all the books did their own thing, I talked to Gary, and said there is a really interesting story with Doctor Manhattan, and his point of view, and the intersection into what is the DC Universe. We debated whether we would ever want to do it, because it is a big job. We talked for six months, and the truth is, it wasn’t until the election, and post-election, that I called Gary and said, 'I’ve got the complete story.'"

Am I missing something, or is Johns outright admitting that he wrote Rebirth without an actual plan for the Watchmen storyline?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

FoneBone posted:

Am I missing something, or is Johns outright admitting that he wrote Rebirth without an actual plan for the Watchmen storyline?

Well he's definitely saying he didn't have a complete story yes. Also all this talk about Superman and Manhattan being the extreme opposite forces opposing each other just really doesn't ring true to me. I never ever saw Manhattan as the extreme end or opposite of what Superman stood for.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Utilizing the Watchmen has always been more of a Dan Didio thing. From the day he took power he's been suggesting they use the Watchmen at every turn.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

Well, at least it sounds like this Watchmen crossover poo poo will be safely contained to one book. For now, anyway.

You're dreaming. It's not contained to one book right now.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

FoneBone posted:

hmm

Vulture posted:

The overarching plot about the rejiggering of the universe has played a shockingly small role, meaning you can read any one series without having to pick up any others for context. That said, DC Universe Rebirth did drop one bombshell tease: Dr. Manhattan, a lead from the epochal 1980s graphic novel Watchmen, may or may not be responsible for the ways the world went wrong during the New 52. But subsequently, the powers that be haven’t placed much emphasis on that development. Indeed, DiDio more or less admits the move emerged largely from a desire to get headlines: “In today’s world, with so much media, so much property, so much out there, you’ve got to do things that capture people’s attention,” he said.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

quote:

"We didn’t want to see Doctor Manhattan facing off against Superman in Action Comics, with all due respect."
Uhhhhh whaaaat? loving scam is what this is

Well, fine, but I'm gonna judge this story on the sole criterion of how much it pisses off Watchmen fans.

November seems real far away. What's gonna happen between now and then? I can only presume that they're not just gonna leave this plot alone for six months, but I doubt we're getting Countdown to Doomsday Clock either.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is a fascinating article that I'd never read before.

quote:

Some decisions were top-down, such as replacing the youthful New 52 version of Superman with the older one from the previous continuity, and resurrecting Wally West. In all cases, the plan was to not waste too much narrative space on in-universe justifications. As their logic went, an improvement is an improvement, and it doesn’t matter much if you lay out in detail why the improvement happened. Flash writer Joshua Williamson told me he was getting into the weeds about why an idea might not work due to New 52 continuity, but “Geoff was like, ‘Just forget everything. Forget everything, none of that matters. None of it matters. What are you trying to say about this character?’”

More of the bold stuff please. Doing the exact opposite of that is what soured me on the big Superman crossover.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I doubt we're getting Countdown to Doomsday Clock either.

But with that name it has to happen :)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FoneBone posted:

To me it sounds like they hadn't thought about the story from Manhattan's perspective, not that there was no plan at all.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It would be ultra cool for Doc Shaner to get the job or something, but Johns and Frank have a pretty neat Superman history together to (maybe?) round off and make a nice little collected omnibus out of.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If it weren't for Secret Empire, I'd probably be more annoyed with this thing, but now this just feels so tame in comparison to me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

It would be ultra cool for Doc Shaner

I don't disagree but they probably want someone who can drawn a whole issue at a time.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He just did his first whole issue of Future Quest*, thank you very much!

A very limited series with a gently caress load of lead time is exactly what he should be use for, but Geoff/Garry/Superman is a thing.

*the final one

edit:\/ a cowardly seven panels.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 15, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/1moreGaryFrank/status/863995995608281088

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Geoff Johns says that the Doomsday Clock series will be more than six issues but less than 13. With him talking in the interview how it mostly focuses on Superman and Manhattan that seems a bit overkill. I wonder if they're going to make it weekly, they almost have to if it's going to be in range of 10 issues or so.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm gonna go with announced as 8 issues, biweekly, gets expanded to 9, but delayed a month.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I'm gonna go with announced as 8 issues, biweekly, gets expanded to 9, but delayed a month.

That's Marvel, not DC. And also a 6 month delay is to be expected. DC has only shipped one late book so far under Rebirth and that's this week's Flash issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

That's Marvel, not DC. And also a 6 month delay is to be expected. DC has only shipped one late book so far under Rebirth and that's this week's Flash issue.

Oh so that's why it's shipping this week with Batman #23.