Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Say what you will about Reddit as a whole, their Ask Historians section has a hard rule banning discussion of events within the last 20 years, and it's a good idea to avoid incendiary political shitfests like this.

Or just go ahead and split this thread into pre- and post-WWII so I can just bookmark the pre- one and not have to scroll through all the tank destroyer and neo nazi posts anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
That won't save you, there were pre-WWII tank destroyers as well!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The Children of the Arbat made the mid 1930's USSR pre-purges seem not bad.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I say if doesn't involve muskets, irresponsible drinking and the shooting from windows it shouldn't be discussed!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ensign Expendable posted:

That won't save you, there were pre-WWII tank destroyers as well!

Was the Mauser 1918 T-Gewehr effective at its stated job? The wiki entry says it could pierce 22mm thick armor plate at 100 metres, and the wiki for something like the Mark V tank says there's a maximum 16mm armor thickness at the front, but I don't know how well that translates to the battlefield.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Was the Mauser 1918 T-Gewehr effective at its stated job? The wiki entry says it could pierce 22mm thick armor plate at 100 metres, and the wiki for something like the Mark V tank says there's a maximum 16mm armor thickness at the front, but I don't know how well that translates to the battlefield.

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzDfUKNwfGc

It's not ideal, but it's better than whatever else you might have handy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzDfUKNwfGc

It's not ideal, but it's better than whatever else you might have handy.

"Yes" to a certain extent. As the video also demonstrates, a 45 degree angle is sufficient to make penetration impossible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it's not an unqualified kill in any instance but in terms of "does this gun kill tanks" it certainly does if used correctly.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

chitoryu12 posted:

"Yes" to a certain extent. As the video also demonstrates, a 45 degree angle is sufficient to make penetration impossible.

Mr. Chitoryu, I heard today about a composer, Franz Richter. Late in life he was an alcoholic. He was visited by Mozart, who reported Richter was trying to cut down on drinking - from 40 bottles of wine a day to 20.

That is all

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 15, 2017

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

My grandmother busted out a notebook this afternoon that has her grandfather's account of serving in the Philippine-American War.

Any interest in me transcribing it?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I'd be quite interested as someone of Filipino descent.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

Mr. Chitoryu, I heard today about a composer, Franz Richter. Late in life he was an alcoholic. He was visited by Mozart, who reported Richter was trying to cut down on drinking - from 40 bottles of wine a day to 20.

That is all
for the culture and time period that's some responsible drinking :thumbsup:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RC and Moon Pie posted:

My grandmother busted out a notebook this afternoon that has her grandfather's account of serving in the Philippine-American War.

As a Filipino, I would be very interested!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

That is all

That can't be right

Maybe wine, or bottles, or both were different back then

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Ainsley McTree posted:

That can't be right

I've seen people who can put away five bottles comfortably in 3 hours and those people were not committed alcoholics.

I'm sure it can be done.

Otoh the letter as written can parse as a joke.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

That can't be right

the 17th and 18th centuries were a special time

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

That can't be right

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the per capita consumption of alcohol during the gin craze or in mid/late 19th century America

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Disinterested posted:

I've seen people who can put away five bottles comfortably in 3 hours and those people were not committed alcoholics.

I'm sure it can be done.
assuming a steady intake and 8 hours of sleep, that's only 5/3 x 16 = 26.6 bottles a day. i am sure a dedicated wino could manage even more.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 15, 2017

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Warning: I am reading this for the first time as I'm typing it. There are few pages in the book and it doesn't look like we're going to get really any real details of his service.

Spelling is the best I can transcribe it. He frequently used 'they' for 'the.'

Part I:

quote:

Manila, PI Feb 2nd 1901:
I was sent to Manila to the Hospital Feb 2 with fever. Was in there seven days and returned to duty at Santa Ana on the [date missing] of day of Feb from the Second Reserve Hospital and was in Manila six days awaiting transportation to my company which was at Santa Ana, PI. Prov of Parnfanga PI.

I was back to my co. five days and stood on guard and was taken sick again and on the 21 of Feb was sent to Manila to the first Reserve Hospital and was in there until March 18 and was transferred to the Hospital Ship Relief and taken amid trip[?] around the Southern Islands. Was gone 14 [or 16 or 19] days. Came back on April 3 and April the 4 was sent to duty again and ever since then I have been in the best of health and had a 4 days hike to Mount Arayat But nothing of afevrent [interest?] going on amid while at Mount Arayat. Received orders to come to Manila at once to get ready to come home. We arrived here on the 23 of April. Have been in camp Wallace ever since and expecting to sail for home about May the 12 1901. All in good health for we [???] We are coming home soon.

Enlisted in Athens Ga. Sept 21 1899. Reached Camp Mead Sept 25 99.

Left there Nov. 18 for New York. Reached there Nov 99.

And went aboard the U.S.A.T. Logan the same day

And left New York Nov 20. And reached Gibraltar Dec. 2. Left the same day for Malta reached there Dec 6

And left Dec 7 for Fort Said and reached there Dec. 10. Left there the same day for Suez City. Reached there Dec. 11 and left the same day for Aden and reached Aden Dec. 16 and left the 17 for Singapore and reached there the 29 and left there Dec 30 for Manila and reached there Jan 4. 1900.

And after 15 months hard soldiering in the Philippines left Manila May the 18 or 19 for the United States and reached Nagasaki May 23 and left May 29. Reached Honolulu June 14 and left the 17 and reached San Francisco June 26 and came ashore June 27 1901.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

In addition, the Soviets took a cold, hard look at their production techniques, and streamlined their production as much as physically possible in order to bring down costs. This lecture by Jonathan Parshall gets somewhat into the details, but in short the Soviet Union was utterly ruthless about maximizing production from their factories, and were cautious to only make changes to production lines only when the increased benefit outweighed the loss in raw production numbers. As a result, the Soviets were able to build one of the best tanks of the war, the T-34, quicker and cheaper than the Germans (or indeed, anyone else) could build their own tanks. Thus, even when faced with the massive losses at the beginning of the War, the Soviets were continually able to rebuild and reequip their forces. Again, this was in stark contrast to their German foes, where losses were increasingly unable to be replaced throughout the war, and stacked the odds against the Germans even further in the closing stages of the war.

Can you recommend some books about this

also the american engineers and business men that went over?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Waroduce posted:

I forget if it was this thread or its predecessor, but someone did a massive series of effort posts about just that. I'd link exactly where but I'm phoneposting and search doesn't like me.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Ainsley McTree posted:

That can't be right

Probably just the bottles; I remember reading WRT one English PM's boozing that most winebottles of the day were only about 350mL, not the modern 750.
E: It was Pitt the Younger, from the previous thread.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 15, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Basically this one guy - Albert Kahn? - is responsible for a huge factory redesign, and 4000 engineers get trained for American engineering techniques... and eventually end up sharing the same mass grave when Stalin turns paranoid.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RC and Moon Pie posted:

YES.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

This may not be the right thread for this question, but I feel like I trust you guys and it's related to what you're currently talking about so I'll ask it here and now--can anyone recommend any reading or resources for a good picture of what life was like in the Soviet Union?

American public schools have given me a picture of bread lines and gulags, and in my grown-up research and limited travels, I feel fairly confident in my conclusion that life in soviet-occupied territory was pretty awful but I feel like I don't have a picture of what life was like for the average jerk in the USSR itself.

It's a vague question, and I'm curious about all time periods and all social strata; is there a reliable source I can turn to for an accurate portrait?

Ivan's War by Catherine Merridale has some bits of how people in the Soviet Union lived during WWII. And learning about the life of the Red Army soldiers, while horrifying, is also quite interesting.

If you want Soviet people's lives in general and non-military, I have this odd book called Into the Cosmos - Space Exploration and Soviet Culture. I bought it to learn more stuff about the Soviet space program, then never finished it because it's actually 90% about Soviet culture. The space program is just used as a backdrop for about a dozen papers about Soviet life compiled in the book. It's been edited by James T. Andrews and Asif A. Siddiqi. Those two guys are also the authors of some of the papers.

If you want to learn more about life in the Soviet Union, the second book is probably your best shot.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Waroduce posted:

Can you recommend some books about this

I did a group of posts on part of this topic which i have linked below.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785167&userid=185704&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post465842294
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785167&userid=185704&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post465878134
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785167&userid=185704&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post465906859

Post 1 is about Soviet industrial structure, doesnt go into the actual nitty gritty of production and how exactly design worked but you might be interested.
Post 2 and 3 are about the US involvement and the construction of the factories that produced the soviets material advantage. Both mainly focus on tanks.

I cant reccomend the books i worked from for the second two because i mainly used academic papers that arent neccesarily publcally avaiable.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Phanatic posted:

The MOD told the contractor, BAE, to design the ship in such a way that during construction it could be switched to conventional CATOBAR in the event the MOD decided that the F-35B was too much of a shitshow and wanted to bail. BAE said "Sure thing!" Then the MOD decided to pull that particular trigger and tell BAE "Okay, go ahead and install the catapults," and BAE said "Oh, yeah, actually we never designed in that capability, if you want it it'll be more expensive than just building all new carriers."

So either the MOD was criminally incompetent when it drew up the contract, or BAE committed fraud, and you will never find out because defense contracts are state secrets there.

Because people for some reason still thought that concurrent development is a thing that actually makes sense.

Catching up and referencing carrier chat from a few pages ago.

I heard a Radio 4 investigative documentary about this a few years ago.

One of the participants on the Goverment side more or less admitted that BAE could afford much better contract lawyers than the MOD could and they pretty much hosed them on the 'install catapults later' option in a way that left them with no legal comebacks.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Fitted for but not with a decent contract lawyer sounds like peak UK defense right there.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Philippine-American War Diary, Part II

For some reason he has the same story about how he got to the Philippines, just with a few different words.

This is the end of the transcription. There are no details about what he did, so I'm afraid this is probably useless.

quote:

Enlisted in Athens, Ga. Sept 21 1899 and left for Camp Meade Sept 24 same month and reached Camp Meade the 24.

And was there until Nov 18 and reached New York Sunday morning 19 and went aboard the USA Transport Logan and sailed Nov 20 for Gibraltar. Reached there Dec 2 and left the same day for Malta.

Reached Malta Dec 6 99 and taken on coal there and left the 7 for Port Said.

Reached there Dec 10 99 and left the same day for Suez City. Reached there Dec 11.

Left Suez City the same day and reached Aden the Dec 16.

Left Aden Dec 17 for Singapore and reached there the 29 [or 27] of Dec.

Left there Dec 31 for Manila and reached Manila Jan 4 1900

And was in the P.I. 16 months and 15 days and saw a very hard time during the time.

Was ordered to Manila to embark for home April 23 on the Luneta [or Lumeta] until May the 15 and went aboard the USAT Buford and May 18 sailed for home.

And reached Nagasaki Japan May 23 and was there until the 26 and sailed for San Francisco Cala.

But run into a storm and was blown 10 days off of our route and had to go to Honolulu for coal and Reached there June the 16 and taken on 1,000 ton of coal and June 17 sailed for San Francisco and reached there June 26 and on the 27 we all went ashore. And went in camp in Precido Cala and was there until July 3. When our regiment was called to fall in for Muster out and it was a sad Party from all of the Boys.

After a five day bid by rail reached home, the place I had longed for on July 10. And a happy day it was [for] us all and I will ever go again I don't think.

The writer of this slight recap was born in 1879 in rural Clarke or Oglethorpe County, Georgia. The illnesses he referred to in Part I apparently stuck with him as he had several spells in hospitals in the 1920s. He died in 1935 in Lake City, Fla., and my grandmother's only memory of him is seeing the body arrive home on the train.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Disinterested posted:

I'm sure it can be done.

Otoh the letter as written can parse as a joke.

Idk about your definition of alcoholic but that is some pretty advanced tolerance, which you generally don't just sorta happen to have.

e: are you sure you don't mean three bottles in five hours? What you describe is like two lethal doses.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 15, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I just wanted to make you picture Heidegger having sex.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

Idk about your definition of alcoholic but that is some pretty advanced tolerance, which you generally don't just sorta happen to have.

e: are you sure you don't mean three bottles in five hours? What you describe is like two lethal doses.

Oh I'm pretty sure and lol no it isn't.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do wonder how people functioned being apparently completely shitfaced 24/7 for years at a time.

It's worrying that presumably quite a lot of important decisions were made by people in that state.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Disinterested posted:

Oh I'm pretty sure and lol no it isn't.

750ml bottle of wine is 7.7 standard drinks, five bottles is 38 standard drinks, 38 standard drinks in three hours clocks you in at a cool 0.817 BAC.

http://www.alcohol.gov.au/internet/alcohol/publishing.nsf/Content/drinksguide-cnt#wine
http://bloodalcoholcalculator.us/#Blood-Alcohol-Calculator
http://www.brad21.org/effects_at_specific_bac.html

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

aphid_licker posted:

750ml bottle of wine is 7.7 standard drinks, five bottles is 38 standard drinks, 38 standard drinks in three hours clocks you in at a cool 0.817 BAC.

http://www.alcohol.gov.au/internet/alcohol/publishing.nsf/Content/drinksguide-cnt#wine

I got dis - some guy in Bulgaria

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

aphid_licker posted:

1) do we know that the bottles are the same size as modern ones?

2) do we know that the wine is as strong as modern wine?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

These are just not correct or I'd have died 50 times, let alone people who drink a lot more than I did as a student.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 15, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

aphid_licker posted:

I read somewhere that most people only use 10% of their blood so this is fine

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

1) do we know that the bottles are the same size as modern ones?

2) do we know that the wine is as strong as modern wine?

We weren't on that topic, but AFAIK the bottles in c. 1800 were in general much smaller, but the wine was of a similar strength to the present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
i'm going to start a gofundme for a drinking experiment and i expect you all to contribute. thanks in advance.