Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Derek Jeter was a "below average" hitter for literally 3 seasons. His first, his last, and 2010.

In 2012 he had an OBP of .368 and was the third highest on the team. He was 38.

I didn't say "below average hitter", I said "below average player".

Derek Jeter's WAA:

2010: -0.7
2011: -0.9
2012: -0.3
2013: -0.9
2014: -1.9

Any more questions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
yeah, that shortstop sure was garbage for his 36-40 age seasons

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Poque posted:

yeah, that shortstop sure was garbage for his 36-40 age seasons

That's exactly my point. Other teams would have cut/benched/at the very least moved down the order a SS that age with that little production, but the Yankees didn't because they wanted him to get 3000 hits to boost his HoF credentials.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

Derek Jeter's WAA:

Any more questions?

You specifically mentioned batting "him at/near the top of the lineup" which super seems to imply that you were talking about hitting but yea, He was pretty bad at fielding in those later years.

Julio Cruz posted:

That's exactly my point. Other teams would have cut/benched/at the very least moved down the order a SS that age with that little production, but the Yankees didn't because they wanted him to get 3000 hits to boost his HoF credentials.

What on earth does his defense have to do with him batting at the top of the order? He was legit the Yankees best option as a #2 dude, at least until Jacoby got there.

"Derek we know you have an OBP of .360 but your defense is really bad so you're going to bat 8th"

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 15, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Julio Cruz posted:

Derek Jeter's WAA:

Any more questions?

Yet he still put up a 30.4 career WAA. That's higher than Ernie Banks and only 7 below Robin Yount. He's also got a 57.0 JAWS, for whatever that's worth.

Also Honus Wagner had a career WAA of 92.0. :stare:

Julio Cruz posted:

What does this have to do with anything?

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 15, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

What does this have to do with anything?

Naw man the yankees should have started *checks roster*

Eduardo Nunez!

But seriously, taking defense into consideration when putting together a batting order may be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen posted here.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Aside from the obvious stuff they pointed out Jeter was in very, very little danger of not getting 3000 hits by 2010 no matter where he was in the lineup, as long as he was getting playing time.

Jesus Christ your argument is bad when I feel compelled to defend Derek Jeter.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

Naw man the yankees should have started *checks roster*

Eduardo Nunez!

But seriously, taking defense into consideration when putting together a batting order may be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen posted here.

I mean, he's right that Jeter probably shouldn't have been hitting in the 2-spot those years but I still fail to see how that reflects poorly on him, he wasn't a player-manager.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

You specifically mentioned batting "him at/near the top of the lineup" which super seems to imply that you were talking about hitting but yea, He was pretty bad at fielding in those later years.

How many other 94 OPS+ players are locked into a top 2 batting spot for 5 seasons?

Paul Zuvella posted:

What on earth does his defense have to do with him batting at the top of the order? He was legit the Yankees best option as a #2 dude, at least until Jacoby got there.

Yankees with a higher OPS+ than Jeter, 2010-2014:

2010 Mark Teixeira, 124
2010 Robinson Cano, 141
2010 Alex Rodriguez, 123
2010 Brett Gardner, 105
2010 Curtis Granderson, 108
2010 Nick Swisher, 129
2010 Jorge Posada, 115
2011 Mark Teixeira, 121
2011 Robinson Cano, 133
2011 Alex Rodriguez, 119
2011 Curtis Granderson, 142
2011 Nick Swisher, 120
2012 Mark Teixeira, 115
2012 Robinson Cano, 148
2012 Curtis Granderson, 115
2012 Nick Swisher, 125
2014 Brian McCann, 94
2014 Mark Teixeira, 101
2014 Brian Roberts, 87
2014 Brett Gardner, 111
2014 Jacoby Ellsbury, 111
2014 Ichiro Suzuki, 89
2014 Carlos Beltran, 98

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Imagine how much better those Yankees would have been with Major League Leadoff Hitter Alcides Escobar at SS.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Julio Cruz posted:

How many other 94 OPS+ players are locked into a top 2 batting spot for 5 seasons?

Yankees with a higher OPS+ than Jeter, 2010-2014:

2010 Mark Teixeira, 124
2010 Robinson Cano, 141
2010 Alex Rodriguez, 123
2010 Brett Gardner, 105
2010 Curtis Granderson, 108
2010 Nick Swisher, 129
2010 Jorge Posada, 115
2011 Mark Teixeira, 121
2011 Robinson Cano, 133
2011 Alex Rodriguez, 119
2011 Curtis Granderson, 142
2011 Nick Swisher, 120
2012 Mark Teixeira, 115
2012 Robinson Cano, 148
2012 Curtis Granderson, 115
2012 Nick Swisher, 125
2014 Brian McCann, 94
2014 Mark Teixeira, 101
2014 Brian Roberts, 87
2014 Brett Gardner, 111
2014 Jacoby Ellsbury, 111
2014 Ichiro Suzuki, 89
2014 Carlos Beltran, 98

Ok but what does his place in the order have to do with Jeter? This is a criticism of Joe Girardi.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Batting order should be determined by fielding position. Pitcher bats first, right fielder bats ninth. :colbert:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Ok but what does his place in the order have to do with Jeter? This is a criticism of Joe Girardi.

And the Yankees organization in general, yes. My point is that Jeter's HoF case is based on his counting numbers, and the Yankees helped boost those numbers by not benching/cutting him when he was not a very good player any more, and that a non-Yankee Jeter has a much tougher argument for HoF consideration.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

bewbies posted:

Imagine how much better those Yankees would have been with Major League Leadoff Hitter Alcides Escobar at SS.

He's been on fire since the switch! He's in danger of reaching the Mendoza line if he keeps it up!

e: I had to look up what on fire is for Escobar (this is actually a thing people are saying, that he's been much much better as a leadoff hitter). And I guess he is much better. .226/.226/.258.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 15, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Julio Cruz posted:

And the Yankees organization in general, yes. My point is that Jeter's HoF case is based on his counting numbers, and the Yankees helped boost those numbers by not benching/cutting him when he was not a very good player any more, and that a non-Yankee Jeter has a much tougher argument for HoF consideration.

I think you're dead wrong about the last part. His WAR and WAA and JAWS numbers are very, very good for shortstops.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Derek Jeter only had 358 stolen bases for 1082 walks. So personally I think he's poo poo.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Isn't the difference between the worst lineup and the best lineup construction like 1 or 2 wins? None of the years in question would have made any difference if the Yankees had 2 more wins on the year.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, he's right that Jeter shouldn't have been hitting in the 2-spot those years but I still fail to see how that reflects poorly on him, he wasn't a player-manager.

Let's take a look. Most managers use OBP as the key factors as to who bats 1/2.

2009: Highest OBP on the team.
2010: No argument here! He is bad!
2011: 4th Highest OBP on the team, behind Gardy (who typically batted first, A-Rod and Swisher)
2012: 3rd Highst OP on the team behind Cano and Swisher
2013: He barely played so who cares
2013: His retirement party.

Now, why exactly is it such an issue that he was batting 2nd?

Julio Cruz posted:

He is the 10th greatest shortstop in the history of the game by WAR and 14th by JAWS

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

Goddamn dude he'd have been an easy hall of famer if he'd played in San Diego and retired in 2010

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
even if you pull out his last five years he's still good enough for the 12th best SS all time in fWAR, and that's unfairly (imo) pulling out his legit 2012

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I think you're dead wrong about the last part. His WAR and WAA and JAWS numbers are very, very good for shortstops.

On the JAWS leaderboard he's in between Alan Trammell, who was never voted into the HoF, and Barry Larkin, who was 3rd ballot.

e: in no way am I suggesting that he's not a HoFer. I'll quote my original post again here because people seem to have missed it:

quote:

Jeter's a HoFer, but I think it's fair to say he wouldn't be a first-ballot near-unanimous guy if he wasn't a Yankee.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

On the JAWS leaderboard he's in between Alan Trammell, who was never voted into the HoF, and Barry Larkin, who was 3rd ballot.

Oh my god he is between a dude on the hall of fame and another dude who should be in the hall of fame.

Call the loving presses we have a story here!

You have to know your audience here, dude. People either think that a dude in a hall of famer or not, no one really cares if he is "near unanimous" or not except for the dumbass writers who vote on this poo poo.

You know who else should be a near unanimous hall of famer? Curt Schilling, and that dude is a loving rear end in a top hat and I hate him.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 15, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Oh my god he is between a dude on the hall of fame and another dude who should be in the hall of fame.

Call the loving presses we have a story here!

Neither of whom were first-ballot and neither of whom got anywhere loving near the 95%+ that Jeter is most likely going to get.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Probably because the voters don't just sort by WAA and click button. I kind of do think that "intangibles" should matter for voting consideration.,

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

It would seem that the root of your issue is how people vote on the Baseball hall of fame, not Derek Jeter.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
My issue, which I keep having to come back to, is that Jeter's case is better for him having been a Yankee than it would be had he been on another team. This is clearly not his fault and I certainly have never said I blame him for it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
JEEEEEEEEETERRRRRRRR!!!!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

My issue, which I keep having to come back to, is that Jeter's case is better for him having been a Yankee than it would be had he been on another team. This is clearly not his fault and I certainly have never said I blame him for it.

yeah but is the difference between him being an 8th ballot guy or a 1st ballot guy really that big of a deal?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

If you're implying that there might be some sort of bias towards the Yankees when it comes to HOF/broadcasting/media exposure than you truly are insane.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

YEAH JEETS

he was pretty good at baseballing

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Gas this thread

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Amazingly Good Baseballers. Jeets definitely gets in for that despite being a lovely shortstop with a good bat.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
How about nobody gets in until Bonds does because it's a loving travesty.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
All this Jeter talk and WAR made me wonder what Chipper's was, since he also spent his entire career with one team (and I'm a dirty homer). Turns out Chipper is 6th all time among third basemen and the only three guys in the top ten NOT in the HOF are Chipper, Adrian Beltre and Scott Rolen, who weren't/aren't eligible for the HOF yet. Chipper and Rolen are eligible this year.

Chipper is first ballot and anyone who says differently should shove themselves in a locker.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Joey Freshwater posted:

All this Jeter talk and WAR made me wonder what Chipper's was, since he also spent his entire career with one team (and I'm a dirty homer). Turns out Chipper is 6th all time among third basemen and the only three guys in the top ten NOT in the HOF are Chipper, Adrian Beltre and Scott Rolen, who weren't/aren't eligible for the HOF yet. Chipper and Rolen are eligible this year.

Chipper is first ballot and anyone who says differently should shove themselves in a locker.

Scott Rolen maybe had the most boringly great career.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Explosionface posted:

It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Amazingly Good Baseballers. Jeets definitely gets in for that despite being a lovely shortstop with a good bat.
Yeah, Jeter was the most popular baseball player for a decade and was a lock for the Hall after 2000, counting stats meant less to his chances than just about anyone.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

ego symphonic posted:

Hot take: Mike Trout is already a HoF player.

Technically he's not, he needs ten years of Major League service time first. :v:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Spoeank posted:

Pujols unanimous?

Hell no

I mean, when's the last time you have ever seen 11 straight years of absolute dominance that wasn't Barry Bonds. Pujols first 11 years were absolutely insane. Trout is doing it right now but still needs to do it for 6 more years. Seriously, Pujols placed top 5 MVP 10 of the 11 years. Winning it 3 times and placing second 4 times.

Obviously Barry should have been unanimous (and in the HoF already), but roids. Unanimous will never happen though because people are stupid. Pujols should absolutely be unanimous, as well as the other people mentioned so far.

Edit: Like, Pujols is arguably the greatest right handed first baseman ever. If Lou Gherig didn't exist, he would arguably be the greatest first baseman ever. He will also be the third person ever to hit 3,000 and 600 barring some sort of absolute death sentence.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 15, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I think he probably will be, but who knows. He definitely gets in at some point no matter what though. I'm more worried about Rolen because

Paul Zuvella posted:

Scott Rolen maybe had the most boringly great career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I think unanimous voting will happen a lot more now that the votes will be public. When Griffey was inducted there were three voters that didn't vote for him, but no one ever admitted who it was.

e: that's not to say that Chipper will be unanimous, just a general statement. I think he gets the 75% easy though.

• Locked thread