Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm watching the Ponderosa videos and in Hali's couple of days of solitude she discovers a cache of wrecked stuff from a major storm, plunders it, and creates garbage art. Hali is weird and its kind of a shame that only seems to show up every once and awhile on the show.

Also, Hali and Ozzy go grocery shopping and I'm actually vaguely shocked that they're allowed off the reserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I know, Hali is hilariously weird. "I do not consent" is one of the greatest tribal council lines of all time. I'm looking forward to her final tribal council question.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I like this season, but I feel that the pre-merge was stronger (outside of the Varner vote). Sandra pretty much singlehandedly made those first six episodes really entertaining. Post-merge has been fine, especially with the rise of Cirie, but if they don't vote out some of the flak like Troyzan I think it might end up being a disappointing finale. Still, there's three idols and two advantages to be played, so there's potential. I think it's funny that Andrea and Cirie are the only people left that have returned more than once.

As for casting, Hali's weird, Sarah's an odd merge boot, and I still think they have this weird boner for Troyzan (which hopefully disppears after this season). But I could kind of get everyone else, even Sierra. Varner never made the jury, but he was a strong driving force in early Cambodia, fans loved him, and he actually worked hard to play.

Do I want anyone from this season to come back? I'm not sure. I think Cirie and Sandra have had their run. Same goes for Andrea. Malcolm, maybe, it'd be his fourth time but he really got screwed over this time. I don't really like Zeke, but after a few years to reflect he could be someone interesting to bring back.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lone Goat posted:

Ozzy has played the exact same game every time and the only reason he got as far as he did in South Pacific is because he got voted out three times.

Like maybe I'd be interested in seeing him on American Gladiators or something but Survivor is not a game he is good at.

It's too bad CBS and MTV still aren't the same company because they could do like an Ozzy for Wes trade to the Challenge.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Rick posted:

It's too bad CBS and MTV still aren't the same company because they could do like an Ozzy for Wes trade to the Challenge.

I feel like Ozzy is too laid back for the Challenge.

Lost Canyoneer
Nov 1, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I'm watching the Ponderosa videos and in Hali's couple of days of solitude she discovers a cache of wrecked stuff from a major storm, plunders it, and creates garbage art. Hali is weird and its kind of a shame that only seems to show up every once and awhile on the show.

Also, Hali and Ozzy go grocery shopping and I'm actually vaguely shocked that they're allowed off the reserve.

I love Hali because she could easily be a corporate lawyer drone, but she still manages to be the kind of person who wants to create art from junk in her spare time, instead of just hanging out with vacuous morons like Ozzie. Also she's polite to everyone, including crazy-as-poo poo Debbie. She might be my dream girl!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
New Zealand Survivor is already airing? I got 20 minutes into Nick and Phoebe talking about it until I realized they weren't talking about their season of Australian Survivor.

Has anyone been watching?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I totally get why they cast Hali twice. She's a law student/lawyer who clearly is smart but she's also kind of weirdo who makes garbage art and offers to strip naked at Tribal to prove that no one really believes she has an idol. I obviously see what casting saw in her and was hoping would come out on TV. She's definitely the sort of person I think tend to be interesting in life.

Sadly she just seems too introverted and/or well adjusted to let it all hang out and be on display during the game show. Like, I don't think she doesn't want to spend time with "vacuous Ozzie" at all. She seems perfectly at ease with him, Debbie, and everyone else. Which is why she probably doesn't make for a great Survivor character since she isn't going to make herself the center of attention like Debbie or freak out over little poo poo like Michaela.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 15, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I like this season, it just doesn't feel top tier so far.

Zesty posted:

New Zealand Survivor is already airing? I got 20 minutes into Nick and Phoebe talking about it until I realized they weren't talking about their season of Australian Survivor.

I'll watch e1 partly just so I can listen to Nick and Phoebe talk. Then I'll decide after that if I want to keep watching. But no opinions to report yet

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, I don't think its a top whatever season or anything. I'm just enjoying it each week, the hoarding of super powers should keep things interesting even if the more compelling players don't do much, and the worst thing I can say about it is the usual "if the handful of really boring people make the F4 then the finale will be boring" I say most seasons. And considering how most of my favorites went early that's a pretty good review from my perspective.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It's not a great season by all-stars standards but the biggest sin is that it's kind of flat rather than another unwatchable steamrolling of newbies or people on the wrong side of Day 0 cliques.

I wonder about the connection between all the hoarded idols and the new tie-breaker rules.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

STAC Goat posted:

I totally get why they cast Hali twice. She's a law student/lawyer who clearly is smart but she's also kind of weirdo who makes garbage art and offers to strip naked at Tribal to prove that no one really believes she has an idol. I obviously see what casting saw in her and was hoping would come out on TV. She's definitely the sort of person I think tend to be interesting in life.

All that is gravy to casting. They had a bikini babe quota.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They're smart to include some meh people though. There's only so much tv time. A season with all dominant personalities wouldn't work very well.

The only person on this season I would really call a "wasted spot" is troyzan.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'd rather miss some entertainment than get the "I had a REALLY good cheeseburger today" confessional.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I think this season is pretty good, but it definitely doesn't live up to 20 and 31 to me, and I think the casting is a big part why. Losing all of those epic heavyweight players so early and being left with a much more middling returnee cast is inevitably disappointing, and even though the gameplay is generally interesting it's not *quite* interesting enough to make up for it. Again, the way to fix this is cast a returnee season with more uniform star power. Either a big legends season where we could lose people like Tony, Malcolm, and Sandra early and still have big players left to duke it out at the end, OR a season of all lesser-names where we can actually see people like Sarah and Zeke and Andrea with some regularity pre-merge, instead of them just coming out of nowhere to take over the second half of the game. Either of those would produce a stronger season, I think.

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 15, 2017

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
This season is better than Second Chances!

Overall, it's not a particularly remarkable Survivor season, but getting Big Personality Sandra in the first half was super satisfying, and I think it's been pretty well balanced with consistent intrigue about how things will play out, game-wise. I can see a potentially predictable end game playing out, which would be disappointing, but overall it'd still be about the baseline of what I would hope for out of a "good" Survivor season

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
An all-winners season can't be too far off and it would be so good

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Second chances would have been great if Spencer was the first boot imo

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I kind of enjoyed Spencer spending the season thinking he was the mastermind and then get distracted trying to become a real boy only to end up thoroughly defeated in the end as yet another reminder that game botting ain't all there is to Survivor.

At least that's how I remember it but its me and I got some kind of hate on for Spencer and gamebots. I also kind of enjoy how Aubry's become neutralized and doesn't really seem to know what to do without the ability to bot.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Fast Luck posted:

This cast is really weird because it puts giants like Sandra, Cirie, Tony, Ozzy, and Malcolm in the same game as total nobodies like Brad, Hali, Sierra, and Caleb.

I think this season is going to teach returning players that those considered 'the biggest threats' need to work together or else they will again be picked off one by one.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Parity warning posted:

An all-winners season can't be too far off and it would be so good

On RHAP is was stated that the producers are having a hard time finding enough former winners who want to retrun.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
New plan! Champs vs. Chumps. One tribe of winners, one tribe of first boots. Francesca can try to go 3/3

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Zesty posted:

I've been watching, and enjoying it! Though it's not like Australian Survivor where it feels polished right off the bat. But I like the casting, and I enjoy having 2 more new episodes of Survivor (and Nick Iadanza's podcast) each week.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
This season might not be as big on game-changing moves like Cambodia or even MvG, but I think a nice thing is that there haven't even been any 'down periods' so to speak. The entire pre-merge was entertaining, if nothing else. Post-merge players weren't as strong, but you can go to facepalming at Zeke's terrible plays to Debbie's terrible plays to Sierra's terrible plays.

So far I think the only miscasts they've made are Caleb and Troyzan, and for a season of 20 that's not too bad.

Binary Logic posted:

On RHAP is was stated that the producers are having a hard time finding enough former winners who want to retrun.

Well, Hatch is out. Amber, Boston Rob, Parvati, Denise and Yul have been known to decline returning for some seasons.

Personally what would be hilarious would be if they actually did the All-Winners season, and Natalie White or Michele Fitzgerald won, silencing their critics once and for all (nah, people would still whine about it).

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 15, 2017

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

jivjov posted:

New plan! Champs vs. Chumps. One tribe of winners, one tribe of first boots. Francesca can try to go 3/3

This, and no merge, ever. Just let them take the other tribe out and then start booting people from within.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

ApplesandOranges posted:

This season might not be as big on game-changing moves like Cambodia or even MvG, but I think a nice thing is that there haven't even been any 'down periods' so to speak. The entire pre-merge was entertaining, if nothing else. Post-merge players weren't as strong, but you can go to facepalming at Zeke's terrible plays to Debbie's terrible plays to Sierra's terrible plays.

So far I think the only miscasts they've made are Caleb and Troyzan, and for a season of 20 that's not too bad.

Well, Hatch is out. Amber, Boston Rob, Parvati, Denise and Yul have been known to decline returning for some seasons.

Personally what would be hilarious would be if they actually did the All-Winners season, and Natalie White or Michele Fitzgerald won, silencing their critics once and for all (nah, people would still whine about it).

I have no doubt in my mind that a Fabio, Danni, Natalie, or Sophie is winning a All-Winners season

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Millenials v. Gen X v. ninety year old Rudy

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Champs vs. chumps vs. chimps, with the latter tribe consisting solely of a highly intelligent breed of chimpanzees.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Bolivar posted:

Champs vs. chumps vs. chimps, with the latter tribe consisting solely of a highly intelligent breed of chimpanzees.
I would kill to see another installment of Man vs. Beast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wbVIgVi66k

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
One thing about this season is that it seems to be harsher for everybody. We're seeing veterans like Cirie break down. Michaelea cried as Zeke got eliminated. Andrea went from being totally cool with being voted out with an idol in her pocket to being really spiteful at Zeke for betraying her. Even Zeke in his exit interview said that the mood felt a lot more different than in MvG.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Getting caught up on Ponderosa.

Debbie:
-Won't vote for someone in her core 6 that flipped on her.
-Won't vote for someone in her core 6 that didn't flip on her.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that was hilarious. And she threw in a "I'm not mad" right before it for kicks. Debbie gonna vote for Michaela or something.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

STAC Goat posted:

Debbie gonna vote for Michaela or something.

That would be the single thing that Debbie could do in her entire life that didn't annoy me.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Previously on....

Survivor!

edit - I like it when someone does that to mark the start of a new episode, so people don't spoil themselves.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 18, 2017

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Anybody but Cirie can go home and I'll be fine.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
double boot episode?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Woah, straight to the immunity challenge?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Anything happen pre-credits other than establishing the double boot ep?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Oh gently caress, this challenge is a beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Poque posted:

double boot episode?

Yeah probably. Is the finale next week or the 31st?

• Locked thread