Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Weatherman posted:

You take that back, you filthy bastard! :argh:

Thought about flying ants and died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
100 years ago, serious cooks using teflon would make a point to having a macaw around to serve as an early warning system for toxic gas.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

100 years ago, serious cooks using teflon would make a point to having a macaw around to serve as an early warning system for toxic gas.

In those days, were macaws expensive enough to make this BWM?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ignoranus posted:

In those days, were macaws expensive enough to make this BWM?
The expression, "the macaw in the macaroni" is still used idiomatically in some parts of northern Italy to refer to any sort of early warning system.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I can't tell if you're just loving with us or not

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

No Butt Stuff posted:

I can't tell if you're just loving with us or not

Teflon isn't even 100 years old and that's clearly just the canary in a coal mine thing but with cookware

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I think talking about relatives isn't banworthy. I just found out my grandmother managed to turn $1m in 1994 dollars into $500k of today dollars. She went all in on tech stocks, lost a bunch when the tech bubble popped because she got scared and sold at the very bottom. Did the same with the housing bubble in 2009. Also, bonus points, she has someone who invests for her so she has no idea what she's holding other than it's mostly individual stocks, has no idea how much she is paying this guy, and really seems obsessed with dividends. She gets a whole $170 in dividends per month from her $500k investment!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Tell her she can make $420/month with zero fees tomorrow if she just fires fuckstick von shithead and moves all that money to a FDIC banking account like gsbank. That should be her bare minimum return, like if she's super paranoid, just to put into perspective how much she's getting robbed.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Pryor on Fire posted:

Tell her she can make $420/month with zero fees tomorrow if she just fires fuckstick von shithead and moves all that money to a FDIC banking account like gsbank. That should be her bare minimum return, like if she's super paranoid, just to put into perspective how much she's getting robbed.

Will they actually insure over $250k? I realize a bank run/bankruptcy is extremely unlikely but [Great Recession]

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The expression, "the macaw in the macaroni" is still used idiomatically in some parts of northern Italy to refer to any sort of early warning system.

One particularly successful bird vendor grew rich and became known in those parts as "the Teflon Don" which an expression still in use today.

ranbo das posted:

I just found out my grandmother managed to turn $1m in 1994 dollars into $500k of today dollars.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that your grandmother did not generate the initial million.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

Will they actually insure over $250k? I realize a bank run/bankruptcy is extremely unlikely but [Great Recession]

Thankfully it's per-depositor per-institution per-category. Basically the easiest way to do this is to open accounts at different banks, but if you just call up your bank and ask how to spread the money so it is all insured they will do it for you.

https://www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/faq.html

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Pretty sure a good chunk of it was inheritance. She also actively hates technology so it'll be interesting trying to get her to ditch whoever the gently caress runs her money now and get into vanguard or fidelity. GS bank is probably out because they only exist online.

I'm gonna try to get her to drop it all in index funds and forget about it. She has enough money between pension + SS to live comfortably. She just wants to see the numbers grow and use it as a way to keep power over her relatives afaik.

ranbo das fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 15, 2017

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

ranbo das posted:

use it as a way to keep power over her relatives afaik.

Grandma planning some family hunger games? GWM.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Focusing on what the FDIC deposit limit when someone just got robbed to the tune of 2 mil+ over 20 years sure is bizarre. I can just see grandma saying "oh well its such a hassle if I have to open two accounts to get guarantees" and irrelevant trivia like this just distracts and confuses people and makes it easier to rob them.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 15, 2017

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

ranbo das posted:

I think talking about relatives isn't banworthy. I just found out my grandmother managed to turn $1m in 1994 dollars into $500k of today dollars. She went all in on tech stocks, lost a bunch when the tech bubble popped because she got scared and sold at the very bottom. Did the same with the housing bubble in 2009. Also, bonus points, she has someone who invests for her so she has no idea what she's holding other than it's mostly individual stocks, has no idea how much she is paying this guy, and really seems obsessed with dividends. She gets a whole $170 in dividends per month from her $500k investment!

Holy God this makes my head hurt. Throw that in vtsax and forget about it, from a risk standpoint it's far less than she's exposed to right now and if she doesn't actually need income withdrawals - and at $170/m right now I am guessing she does not - she can bank that for a few years at least and let it grow. poo poo even at a 4% withdrawal she'd make $1,600/m on that without having to touch the principal at current returns.

I am guessing this is a lost cause though.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Thankfully it's per-depositor per-institution per-category. Basically the easiest way to do this is to open accounts at different banks, but if you just call up your bank and ask how to spread the money so it is all insured they will do it for you.

https://www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/faq.html

Fidelity, for example, will do it by splitting your deposits over something like 5 different institutions:

"If you have more than $245,000 in uninvested cash in your account, the Program maximizes your eligibility for FDIC insurance by systematically allocating this uninvested cash across multiple program banks. At a minimum, there are generally five banks available to accept customer deposits, making customers eligible for nearly $1,250,000 of FDIC insurance."

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

To avoid turning this into an E/N post and hopefully not get banned, I'll just say that she hates computers for taking her job at a bank in the early 90s and so doesn't have internet or a cell phone. However the realization that she is gonna die alone in a hospital bed with no one giving two shits about her if she kept her poo poo up is doing wonders for her attitude. I'm lets say cautiously optimistic on her actually getting her money straightened out. Say a 20% chance.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Just so you know I'm pretty sure this falls under "BWM story in which you only play a bit part" which is explicitly allowed by the new rules, and also this is a pretty good BWM story anyway :v:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah it's not wedding horse chat, so I think it's acceptable anyway.

Wait, debating the rules is a derail...I've become what I've always hated. BIRD ME!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Wait, debating the rules is a derail...I've become what I've always hated. BIRD ME!

I would but I made some stir fry and now the derail bird is dead.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 15, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
We had an "Employee Appreciation Day" last week. It is for employees at a government agency, so all funds have to be raised from the employees themselves; no public money or office money for anything.

To "make up" for the fact that the employees have to pay for their own appreciation event, the Managers give out awards to hourly employees and give the winner in each section a free day of PTO.

One of our Managers gave an award to one employee for "staying until 7 pm almost every single day to make sure that we never fall behind."

There is currently a budget directive that bans anyone from authorizing overtime. The head of our agency pulled the manager aside and asked her why she had been approving overtime. She told him to not worry because she hadn't, she just never paid him for all the time he worked.

That is super illegal and they withdrew the award from that guy, gave him the day of PTO anyway, and paid him for 2 months of overtime.

They took the money from the general expense and office supply fund for that department and now the manager is telling everyone that they aren't getting new computers because "they had to pay out Jose."

BWM: Working for free.
Even more BWM: Giving an award for wage theft when the head of the Department of Labor and OMB is in attendance.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

And of course everyone is going to blame Jose.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
Am I reading that story right that the manager committing wage theft didn't get fired?

Because of course they didn't.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tomie knows me posted:

Am I reading that story right that the manager committing wage theft didn't get fired?

She said that she never explicitly told him to stay. She just said that it needed to get done and Jose volunteered for it once and then kept doing it voluntarily.

Jose defended her too.

She would have gotten fired if she didn't say it was accidental and Jose didn't support her.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tomie knows me posted:

If it were the private sector he would be the one getting the award instead, I'll take what I can get in trump's america :sigh:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She said that she never explicitly told him to stay. She just said that it needed to get done and Jose volunteered for it once and then kept doing it voluntarily.

Jose defended her too.

She would have gotten fired if she didn't say it was accidental and Jose didn't support her.

~~false consciousness~~

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This might not be actual BWM content, but our open enrollment period for healthcare recently ended. Someone was up in our HR office today asking if their deductible would affect their withholding or if they just apply it all at once during tax season.

Apparently, they thought that the "deductible" on their health insurance plan was the amount that you were allowed to deduct from your taxes and that picking a higher deductible meant you got more back on your taxes.

They ended up accidentally picking the plan that was best for them anyway, but that could have gone pretty wrong.

Having your office right next to the HR/Benefits office is a terrifying insight into how bad with money people can be.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

BWM on grandparents' part? Pretty cool though.

quote:

Grandparents gifted me & S/O 100g of 99.99% gold to start a college fund, since we are expecting a baby. How do I convert this literal bar of gold into a more fungible/secure investment?

Photo of the gold bar. I have no idea if the serial number or seal I covered up are secure, so my apologies if this is a terrible photo

I looked around for any advice about selling gold and APMEX, local coin collectors, and /r/pmsforsale were all recommended. "Cash for gold" stores were universally panned.

However, since I'm interested in eventually throwing this money into an index fund (maybe even a gold ETF) I was wondering if there's an easier way to liquidate this directly with a bank.

Any help is really appreciated since I've never held more than a single silver dollar in my hand before. Thanks!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

~$3950 for anyone wondering. He's going to lose a nice cut straight away to convert it to cash.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I see I wasn't the only one that was immediately curious what 100g of gold is worth.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

If you buy and sell gold coins from a place like APMEX, you probably only lose like 4-5% between their bid/ask and your shipping fees, so he'll probably only lose a couple hundred dollars if his grandfather just bought the gold recently. I don't know if bars have the same tight market though.

Most likely, the grandfather has already owned it for decades.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Wow serious BWM converting yuan -> physical gold -> dollars.

For such a small bar he could probably sell it for its full value to someone who wants a bar but he might also just get robbed.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I saw that thread and someone mentioned there's at least a decent chance that it's counterfeit because fakes are common in China so possibly very BWM.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This might not be actual BWM content, but our open enrollment period for healthcare recently ended. Someone was up in our HR office today asking if their deductible would affect their withholding or if they just apply it all at once during tax season.

Apparently, they thought that the "deductible" on their health insurance plan was the amount that you were allowed to deduct from your taxes and that picking a higher deductible meant you got more back on your taxes.

They ended up accidentally picking the plan that was best for them anyway, but that could have gone pretty wrong.

Having your office right next to the HR/Benefits office is a terrifying insight into how bad with money people can be.

I used to sit next to HR and the number of people playing stupid games with potentially huge sums of money is staggering. People running up after open enrollment because they couldn't be bothered to carve out 15 minutes from two weeks of their life to do things like enroll their children in healthcare or ensure they have a FSA/DCA account is insane. Yes, your failure to click a few buttons means your whole family is now on the cheapest plan and you have no tax advantaged money for childcare and prescriptions.

One GWM / Funny story (Sorry for off topic) was one guy asking why he didn't get paid on Jan 15. Turned out he had forgotten to undo his 100% 401k withholding from the end of the year which use used to top off his account, but then the year rolled over and he simply didn't get a paycheck. Whoops! He was asking them to undo it but they couldn't (wouldn't?). I guess he had hit the limit so his paychecks were coming in as usual by christmas.

Jazz Police
Nov 6, 2009

It's your fault, man.
It's nice to know that you don't need to be a full member of the military to be terrible with money. Terrible decision-making affects people in the reserves too!

I have access to a large, low interest loan. I think I found a good way to invest it, would like some advice on it first. posted:

I recently learned I have access to something from USAA called the career starter loan, for individuals about to receive a military commission (I'm going into the reserves). here are the basic terms: up to $25,000 available, 60 month loan, 2.99% APR, no payments due until 12 months after commissioning. I heard about this before, but I didn't think I could find a suitably low risk investment with a return that would be reliably over the interest rate to make this worthwhile. Since then, I've looked into alternatives to index funds, stocks, and bonds and found lending club, which although having a variable return has a relatively tight distribution around 7% (I would invest in all C grade notes).
My source of concern is that this may make me significantly over-leveraged. I have about $4000 in cash/savings, no debts aside from a credit card I pay off every month, and $9000 in stocks/index funds. I will graduate after this summer and according to my budget for the rest of my time in college will finish with about $900 in cash left and without touching my current investment. I don't have a job lined up, but I'm pretty confident I will find a good one that I can go into shortly after graduation. The sources of risk I see are either that my return on a $25000 investment dips below 3%, or that there is risk from the lending club platform itself (never used it before, but I believe if Lending Club itself goes belly up I don't have a way to recover my capital).

after doing a few simulations on excel, it looks like if everything goes well my expected profit would be between $3000 and $4500 after the loan is paid off.
My questions are: 1. Is lending club, all C grade notes from different lenders, a good investment idea? Should I invest elsewhere or attempt some diversification? 2. Is taking this loan on for an investment worthwhile? Is the risk too high, or am I missing some other source of risk? 3. other thoughts?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Area ROTC gets 7% returns! Banks hate him!
<click for article>

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

That man is officer material and I mean that in the worst possible way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Shocking stupidity. Incredible, short sighted greed. No wonder so many people get caught up in MLMs and Craigslist scams, people will to overlook absolutely anything when they think they can profit.