Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
The scope flagged a box on the other side of a small storeroom as a mimic. So I thought I'd stick a recycler charge to the wall and see if I could antagonise it with the boltcaster into setting it off.

Turned around and stuck it to a box on the shelving to my left. Which turned out to also be a mimic. Promptly started jumping around the room with a recycler charge attached to it. When it exploded about 5 more items turned into mimics.

Left sharpish and locked the door behind me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Another record (obviously ending spoilers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_f0T4ItPMs

One thing that I'm impressed with is that the intro sequenece actually takes place on the station level and doesn't happen in a separate map or something which lets this speedrun even be possible.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

vaguely related to game thread but was reading through this excellent article today about Arkane's origins, when they were just coming up with Dishonored. One of the rare good pieces that came out of Polygon

https://www.polygon.com/2012/9/28/3425300/the-mirror-men-of-arkane

also: I knew he helped create Deus Ex but I had no idea that he did QA work for System Shock. Makes the complaints about "copying older poo poo" kind of hilarious when both of Arkane's top guys basically had their fingerprints on virtually every inspiration utilized for DH1/2 and Prey.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Palpek posted:

One thing that I'm impressed with is that the intro sequenece actually takes place on the station level and doesn't happen in a separate map or something which lets this speedrun even be possible.
Hahahaha. "Morgan... I don't understand how you got the launch key to that escape pod."

:allears:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Arkane is such an amazing company. They kind of do only one kind of game but they do it so EXTREMELY well.
Literally everything that has come out from them so far has been amazing.

Khym
Jun 11, 2002
This looks neat. But, I usually hate Bethesda-developed games and worry that a Bethesda-published game will have the same general turd-worthiness.

Please advise.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my advice is "that doesn't make a whole lot of sense"

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

People are talking about the earliest q-beam, but all the stuff they've mentioned is actually further on in the game than I've gotten and I have the Q-beam.

You can get one as soon as you get into hardware as long as you have repair 2. When you do your first EVA in hardware to get that keycard you can fix the electrical conduit to reactivate the airlock thingy. Then when you go back inside you can get into a corridor that goes to the beams and waves lab, where theres a q-beam you can pick up.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Khym posted:

This looks neat. But, I usually hate Bethesda-developed games and worry that a Bethesda-published game will have the same general turd-worthiness.

Please advise.

You're right this game is actually bad and we're all bad as well.

Khym
Jun 11, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

my advice is "that doesn't make a whole lot of sense"

Prey looks cool. Fallout 4 wasn't my jam, though. I'm asking whether Prey is a similar experience to that (and other Bethesda games).

edit: because I'm considering buying it tonight.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Khym posted:

Please advise.

Bethesda has published all three stealth/action games developed by Arkane (this and both Dishonored games) and they're all really good. The game has absolutely nothing to do with Bethesda.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Khym posted:

Prey looks cool. Fallout 4 wasn't my jam, though. I'm asking whether Prey is a similar experience to that (and other Bethesda games).

it was made by arkane, not bethesda. it is a similar experience to other arkane games. you're basically asking "i hate mcdonald's cheeseburgers, will i enjoy this gastropub gourmet kobe beef burger that happens to be near a mcdonald's logo?"

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Khym posted:

The only thing that is even close to 'Bethesda' is the logo stamped on the cover. It has nothing to do with Bethesda the development house and instead everything to do with games like 'Deus Ex' and 'System Shock II' and 'Dishonored' and people that worked on those games have worked on Prey.

Khym
Jun 11, 2002
Thanks! That answers my question. Strongly considering buying.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

KakerMix posted:

The only thing that is even close to 'Bethesda' is the logo stamped on the cover. It has nothing to do with Bethesda the development house and instead everything to do with games like 'Deus Ex' and 'System Shock II' and 'Dishonored' and people that worked on those games have worked on Prey.

This a thousand times.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Khym posted:

Do it. This is only a Bethesda game in the same sense that DOOM is a Bethesda game.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

juggalo baby coffin posted:

People are talking about the earliest q-beam, but all the stuff they've mentioned is actually further on in the game than I've gotten and I have the Q-beam.

You can get one as soon as you get into hardware as long as you have repair 2. When you do your first EVA in hardware to get that keycard you can fix the electrical conduit to reactivate the airlock thingy. Then when you go back inside you can get into a corridor that goes to the beams and waves lab, where theres a q-beam you can pick up.

There is one where you don't need to have repair 2 to access. It's outside too though. So I'd say that one is even earlier since there are many skills much more important than repair 2 at that point (like your suit upgrades). It is literally just floating in space, but guarded by a technopath that can be easily killed with a stun gun.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Khym posted:

Most things under the "Bethesda" umbrella like Dishonored, Prey, DOOM, and Wolfenstein have been good. it's really only the "Bethesda Softworks" stuff by Todd Howard and Co (Fallout, Elder Scrolls) that's janky. Generally, if something was made by id, Machinegames, or Arkane, it's likely quality.

Jack Trades posted:

Arkane is such an amazing company. They kind of do only one kind of game but they do it so EXTREMELY well.

I hope the next game they make is the Techno-Dinosaur thing Harvey Smith never got to finish or even the insane "Crossing" game Colantonio had to abandon. That, or Zenimax buys the Deus Ex license back and gives it to Arkane.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

DLC Inc posted:

Most things under the "Bethesda" umbrella like Dishonored, Prey, DOOM, and Wolfenstein have been good. it's really only the "Bethesda Softworks" stuff by Todd Howard and Co (Fallout, Elder Scrolls) that's janky. Generally, if something was made by id, Machinegames, or Arkane, it's likely quality.

It's worth noting that the bad reputation Arkane got from their broken PC port of Dishonored 2 doesn't apply here. That was using their own VOID engine which, to be fair, is kind of lovely and still doesn't run well. Prey is using Cryengine which has been around for ages and gives solid performance.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Palpek posted:

It also amazes me because I thought of using some sort of noclip mod to go out and explore San Francisco and marvel at the cheap throwaway detail.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It's worth noting that the bad reputation Arkane got from their broken PC port of Dishonored 2 doesn't apply here. That was using their own VOID engine which, to be fair, is kind of lovely and still doesn't run well. Prey is using Cryengine which has been around for ages and gives solid performance.

I feel bad that Dishonored 2 got hosed for months due to a skanky engine, because it's still a fantastic game yet needs ridiculous specs to run well. I don't think it will ever run at a smooth 60fps on a PC these days. It's a miracle that it runs adequately on PS4.

Prey seems like it is constantly a rock solid 30fps and looks great, I really wish DH2 had used the same poo poo. I imagine whatever Arkane does in the future will probably not utilize anything like VOID going forward.

Serf
May 5, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The fact that the PC port of Dishonored 2 is still bad is disappointing. I was gonna play that today now that I'm done with Prey.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Serf posted:

The fact that the PC port of Dishonored 2 is still bad is disappointing. I was gonna play that today now that I'm done with Prey.

What's your PC spec? I'd buy DH2 and if it doesn't run well, steam refund it within 2 hours.
It runs brilliantly here, and is an excellent game. I have a 1080.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Khym posted:

You should buy this game, it utterly kicks rear end. I was on the fence about it and took the plunge and it's absolutely one of the best games I've played in the last 5 years. I'm a guy who thinks that they "don't make 'em like they used to" and holds Thief and System Shock in ludicrously high regard..this game is a worthy successor.

Serf
May 5, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

What's your PC spec? I'd buy DH2 and if it doesn't run well, steam refund it within 2 hours.
It runs brilliantly here, and is an excellent game. I have a 1080.

I have a 980, and the rest of my specs were great when I built the computer about a year ago. I'll give it a shot and see how it runs. It was a gift from my brother, so I'm not sure how the refunds work in that situation, but I might just deal with it.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I tried playing dishonored 1 after my first playthrough of Prey and the controls feel sluggish with keyboard and mouse. Is there anything I can do? I don't think it is my computer.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Just started playing last night, but are volume levels all over the place for people? Left everything at default and weapons are super quiet, but any dialogue IS BEING SCREAMED AT ME AT ALL TIMES.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

^^^
e: Yeah, the mixing is off. Characters' voices don't actually originate from where they're standing and are too loud, so you can wander around while someone is talking to you and it always sounds like it's coming from inside your head. Not sure if they're planning to fix that specifically, but they've already adjusted the mixing in the recent patch so maybe they'll adjust it again and get it right.

Serf posted:

They made some progress with post-release patches and it's at least playable for me now. With an i7 4770 and GTX 1070 I played through it about a month ago without too much hassle, but there are definite points in the game where something about how the engine works can't handle everything going on. One area stood out in particular, which without spoiling anything was probably utilizing some version of the same effect used for the looking glass in Prey. I think it works by rendering two separate areas at the same time and then using a flat surface as a sort of portal between the two, and the VOID engine was chugging like crazy trying to deal with it. Even then it wasn't unplayable, and the game is probably worth getting since it's great if you can ignore the technical issues. As said before, if it's unplayable you can always do the Steam refund.

Only time I ever had framerate issues in Prey was in the reactor, which I think is just because it's a massive, open space with a ton of assets to render at once.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 15, 2017

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
I'm trying not to kill any humans as I figure this may effect the ending or at least get me an achievement, but I just remotely blew up a ship on its way to Seattle thinking there might be some typhoid's on it.... Did I just ruin my no kill streak? Does this effect the ending/achievements at all?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Zebrasectomy posted:

I'm trying not to kill any humans as I figure this may effect the ending or at least get me an achievement, but I just remotely blew up a ship on its way to Seattle thinking there might be some typhoid's on it.... Did I just ruin my no kill streak? Does this effect the ending/achievements at all?

I did what you did and received both the no kills and max empathy achievements

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

BitterAvatar posted:

Just started playing last night, but are volume levels all over the place for people? Left everything at default and weapons are super quiet, but any dialogue IS BEING SCREAMED AT ME AT ALL TIMES.
Sound mixing is the one thing that really loving sucks in this game. Ok and also hacking but at least hacking isn't broken.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Serf posted:

I have a 980, and the rest of my specs were great when I built the computer about a year ago. I'll give it a shot and see how it runs. It was a gift from my brother, so I'm not sure how the refunds work in that situation, but I might just deal with it.

Bet it runs fine on a 980.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Serf posted:

With a 980 you will have mostly stable 1080p/60fps on High with drops to 50-45 in two certain levels.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Palpek posted:

Sound mixing is the one thing that really loving sucks in this game. Ok and also hacking but at least hacking isn't broken.

Yeh. It's such a shame.
Really the only thing that drags Prey down too.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jack Trades posted:

Speaking of Arkane, has Arx Fatalis aged well? It's the only game by them I haven't played.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

My favourite thing ever are people who use speed runs as a measure for how poo poo a game is. People just associate play time with quality now don't they?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RatHat posted:

Speaking of Arkane, has Arx Fatalis aged well? It's the only game by them I haven't played.

Unfortunately, I don't remember.
Arx Fatalis is the only Arkane game I have played only once.

I somehow remember it being basically Dark Messiah but older.

EDIT: There's a Demo for it on Steam. You might want to try it.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
So uh, is it just me or is this game extremely drat hard?

Like, it takes me like two clips of pistol ammo to kill the slightly tougher aliens. I can't kill the big floating blobs even with the Q-Beam. Sneaking past most of the enemies doesn't seem to be an option either.

I feel like I hosed myself by not buying all the combat neuromods, which this game is clearly balanced around unless I'm missing something.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't buy combat focus or the damage increases and beat the game just fine. Are you upgrading your weapons? The shotgun makes short work of all the enemies with enough damage upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Literally every place with a tough enemy (that isn't a Mimic or a Phantom) has a poo poo ton of explosive canisters.
Just throw them at things and watch things die.

Whole game is about being creative and using non-obvious tools.