Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I think we should get super realism, given that, the size of the submersibles are too large. This is particularly true for ones that go deep. There is no way that the designs, particularly the open window designs, would withstand the pressure.

So the game should really have:

1. Realistic diving times. It should take literal hours to descend and ascend from great depth.
2. Lots of "oops, you dove too deep, you implode." And, of course "that weld wasn't quite right, you thought you were good, but you imploded."
3. Deep diving subs should have no more than a six foot crew sphere with tiny six inch windows--no more than about three of them.
4. Realistic health model. Being bitten by a shark, at any point, has a non-random chance to take off a limb.
5. Related to 4, we need more "whoops, you bled to death before you could swim back," and infections.
6. If we really want to be realistic, we shouldn't assume that the biochemistry of the sea life on this planet is compatible with ours. Food taken from the ocean should either provide no nutrition or kill you.

I can go on and on.

PS unless those animal teeth are moving a good percentage of c there is nothing realistic about them biting into titanium. Even then, there would be a lot of toothless sharks after they got that tasty bite of metal.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Why does this game do this weird head tilting thing if you are strafing indoors? Is there an option or mod to turn that off?

I typically notice this when I enter a base.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Or just have a loving toggle in options that says 'destructible craft on/off'. There, done, no more complaining by either side.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

also, that dumb fish got hosed lol

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
If they want it realistic, put some loving guns in there.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

and then the pilot went outside the sub and welded it all together to continue his adventures. :downs:

You guys keep trying to argue realism when you should be arguing the most important thing of all. It's not fun.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Wait, I'm not having fun? Why didn't anyone tell me!?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Nothing wrong with being a masochist. It's when you start arguing everyone else should be too that I take exception.

I get that they actually want to make a game out of it but adding tedium for the sake of tedium because a loud minority craves it is the wrong way to go. It's doing more harm to the overall interest overall and I just wish they didn't waste developer time on it instead of other areas of the game that are lacking.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 15, 2017

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Cyclops is poo poo to explore in anyway, give me a better option for going deep. Mod the little submersible so it can go as deep as the cyclops but slows it down a good bit?

I just hate navigating with cameras.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I want to be able to build mini-bases on reefbacks! :argh:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
This is the most retarded (subnautica) forums-related bullshit I've ever seen. I'm trying to edit my post since I mispelled something, goddammit.

How the hell do I disable oxygen warnings when playing on normal? I tried switching to hardcore since it said no oxygen warnings.. nope, still the 10s one.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 16, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ambaire posted:

This is the most retarded (subnautica) forums-related bullshit I've ever seen. I'm trying to edit my post since I mispelled something, goddammit.

How the hell do I disable oxygen warnings when playing on normal? I tried switching to hardcore since it said no oxygen warnings.. nope, still the 10s one.

I don't think you can as far as I am aware. Hopefully somebody else can prove that wrong.

While it will not get rid of warnings, it will at least lessen them quite a bit to carry more than one high capacity tank on you. The slightly heavier weight is super worth the extra air time compared to normal/plasteel tanks. One on your equipment doll and one in you main inventory is still plenty of air, and it won't slow you down too hard.

Three total tanks brings your swim speed to uncomfortable level, but it's still pretty good with Ultra Fins. I'm a crazy person who likes them more than charge fins when I'm not doing stuff that spams the physics guns, cuts down on seaglide usage like hell.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 16, 2017

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
I think its the suit itself giving a warning, so you'd have to disable sound. Alternatively, you can disable oxygen with the cheat, but then there's no worrying about oxygen at all.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Finally got the prawn suit and got the grapple and mining upgrades. It became quickly apparent that I needed a gravsphere for mining, so I deployed one, and ... it's a fish magnet too. This is hilarious.

e. and slightly annoying since the fish end up dragging the gravsphere off.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 16, 2017

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Ambaire posted:

Or just have a loving toggle in options that says 'destructible craft on/off'. There, done, no more complaining by either side.

Or this. This makes far too much sense for ultra-survivalists to advocate for.

"We want the 'totally realistic' shark vulnerable titanium submarines for everyone! Cry babies." :suicide:

Edit

In the name of realism can we add ultra-realistic dive computers, gas mixtures, and decompression times? I really want to tediously monitor my gas usage, compression effects, and dives.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 16, 2017

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Heres an idea: and upgrade for the sub you can make that acts as fish repellant. One bite and ZAP, would be way better than just a shield.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tombot posted:

Heres an idea: and upgrade for the sub you can make that acts as fish repellant. One bite and ZAP, would be way better than just a shield.

Yes but is it ~~~realistic~~~

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sounds like that would make you something other than a shivering, helpless diverman who must devour upwards of 20 watermelons to be satiated for the next several minutes. Pass.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Digirat posted:

Sounds like that would make you something other than a shivering, helpless diverman who must devour upwards of 20 watermelons to be satiated for the next several minutes. Pass.

No, but its realistic. You must be a cry baby if you do not want to have nitrogen narcosis, helium high pressure syndrome, and "whoops you have the bends and die because you didn't get decompression protocol just right" in the game.

fake edit

Okay, I've had my share of being a sarcastic rear end in a top hat in this thread. I've made my point. I will shut the gently caress up about the "realism" issue now.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 16, 2017

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Digirat posted:

Did they buff melons? I noticed they give 22 food and 15 water now. They also last for a relative eternity in the bio-reactor.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ambaire posted:

Did they buff melons? I noticed they give 22 food and 15 water now. They also last for a relative eternity in the bio-reactor.

Melons have always remained pretty okay overall if still nowhere near as efficient as fish/fabrication based snacks you can bring with you on travel. Because they involve more UI buttons. Lanternfruit got and gets so much hate (even 6 food or whatever they are now = "OP" still) because they just regrew on the tree. But Melons you have to screw around wrestling with the UI to stab melons with a knife to get seeds to replant more melons.

People have honestly screamed that raw creepvine is OP in this game's lifespan because of similar reasons. See all my previous :spergin: about how it's actually convenience that sets off these people rather than actual balance or effectiveness.

Though they do seem to have some blindspots in the other direction too. "I'm so smart because I use fruit to power by bioreactor, fruit is so OP :smug:" *Has to reload their bioreactor several times as often as just tossing a couple peepers in due to poo poo power values and 2x2 grid space*

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 16, 2017

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I'm honestly surprised they haven't nerfed the poo poo out of thermal generators. Like, why worry about feeding reactors with fish/plutonium when you can drop 1-2 thermal reactors and forget them.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Tombot posted:

I tooled around in the cyclops yesterday testing stuff and it already seem to work this way. Bonesharks take damage trying to bite a moving cyclops. This makes them flee for long enough that they shouldn't catch up.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Thor-Stryker posted:

I'm honestly surprised they haven't nerfed the poo poo out of thermal generators. Like, why worry about feeding reactors with fish/plutonium when you can drop 1-2 thermal reactors and forget them.
In part because nerfing their effectiveness won't actually be a nerf of any impact. Same way nerfing solar power effectiveness won't accomplish anything. You just slap on more to get the same infinite no upkeep power you had last time. Infinite power will always be infinite, and tweaking power concerns is more involved for the devs than tweaking food numbers.

Which is why when I've looked at such subjects it's mostly people wishing they broke due to unseen predators or random malfunctions rather than any actual balance tweaks. They would rather you just randomly lose all power and have to swim out and replace things from scratch at regular intervals, regardless of how effective the power source is. Back to inconvenience = difficulty logic.

On a lighter note, honestly the devs have been pretty good at keeping the sustainable base power options themselves practical. Most of the nerfs and annoyance are instead ramping up the power drain on rooms and devices (which... just means more thermals etc), or loving with portable battery lifespans. But bases themselves overall involve just shoving whatever power source you have laying around in and not having to worry unless you want to use QoL options, like the water purifier or having the nerve to dock your seamoth in the moonpool. (I would not be surprised if they kill self sustaining cyclops for launch, as that is battery based)

On the subject, at this point it's probably a pipe dream but I really hope they polish up the quality of power drain priorities. While it takes quite a while to drain nuke batteries when this occurs, it's still pretty annoying on principle that you have 1k+ power before nukes, but quirks make it skim off the top of your nuclear power over time because oh no your solar panels and thermals are only at 99% power.

It's a purely nitpicking category concern there to be fair. But it's why I mostly only bother with Nukes if it's going to be my primary power source. If it's going to drain the battery no matter what I do, might as well give it a reason.

Further wishlisting. My usual hopes to be able to salvage dark matter tech, or at least the self recharging power cells from other crashed life pods (which will give them more of a reason to exist). The self recharging cells are so weak that you'll never be able to run a proper base off of them. But they would do wonders for low maintenance outposts without just going hog wild and building a full room sized bio reactor to keep the air and lights running.

Of course, "Dark matter isn't realistic!" is the usual response there despite having to take a welder to the Aurora's dark matter reactor :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 16, 2017

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
There goes section Z making long considered posts again. For gently caress's sake. You would swear that he cares about the game or something.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lonos Oboe posted:

There goes section Z making long considered posts again. For gently caress's sake. You would swear that he cares about the game or something.

I'm down to six paragraphs and a run on sentence :pseudo: But also my proper computer is a bit hosed right now, so I cant actually play Subnautica: The search for office desks. Repulsion gun indoors is always funny.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Section Z's posts say nothing meaningful because I disagree with them!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thermal generators that needed to be positioned away from the base for optimum thermal power (good temps for them are bad temps for your player character) and which could attract predators, or things trying to nest in them and jamming them up, could be an interesting mechanic. As it would encourage you to go and fight something.

Would need to be quite carefully handled though and no doubt they'd just make peepers bump into them and cause them to chain explode or something.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

New player here: is there no way to build some of the interior items, like an aquarium, without finding a blueprint for larger rooms? All I've got are the tubes and there's not enough room!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are a number of items which only fit in the big room unfortunately.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

my bony fealty posted:

New player here: is there no way to build some of the interior items, like an aquarium, without finding a blueprint for larger rooms? All I've got are the tubes and there's not enough room!

Yeah the multipurpose room is required for a lot of the QoL options. You need them for Alien containment (The big fish tank that actually respanws fish, the small one is just decorative). As well as bio reactors, nuclear power, water purification machines.

The good news is that none of it is stuff you "Need", but it's all stuff that makes the game more bearable so you do want it asap. Alien containment and bio reactors being the biggest QoL boost. (Bio reactors are sloooow. Think of them more like big batteries for your base to take pressure off your other power)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 16, 2017

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Thanks! Luckily exploring in this game is fun and I'm easily impressed by shiny underwater lights so looks like it's time to grab the Seamoth and go looking for more stuff to scan. The only part of the game I don't really like so far is the hunger mechanic, catching fish by hand or cutting vines is rather tedious, so the big fish tank sounds super handy.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

my bony fealty posted:

Thanks! Luckily exploring in this game is fun and I'm easily impressed by shiny underwater lights so looks like it's time to grab the Seamoth and go looking for more stuff to scan. The only part of the game I don't really like so far is the hunger mechanic, catching fish by hand or cutting vines is rather tedious, so the big fish tank sounds super handy.

Keep an eye out for a fish called "Reginald". That's the wonder fish that gives you +40ish food value, and is also the most efficient fuel source for bio reactors.

Theoretical modding wizards from the future. Let me hook containment tanks directly to bio reactors and flush fish into them while powerhouse plays. TIA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9-7uLg-DZU

EDIT: While I'm at it. Air tanks stack. Whenever you get a hold of the modification station, totally make at least one high capacity tank. Twice the air for slightly higher weight is so worth it.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 16, 2017

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

my bony fealty posted:

I spent a stupid amount of time catching fish by hand. Once you find the propulsion cannon, you can catch them gravity gun style.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Section Z posted:

EDIT: While I'm at it. Air tanks stack. Whenever you get a hold of the modification station, totally make at least one high capacity tank. Twice the air for slightly higher weight is so worth it.

They don't stack anymore.. the only air tank that matters is the one on the equipment grid. I made two high cap ones about 5 minutes into my experimental playthru (where high capacity is craftable with the fabricator) and nope the second one did nothing. A single high cap bumps oxygen to 135 tho, so it's not that big of an issue. And the super synthetic one which needs the mod station is 155 ish.

Lonos Oboe posted:

I spent a stupid amount of time catching fish by hand. Once you find the propulsion cannon, you can catch them gravity gun style.

Or just make a gravsphere. See my post above from my prawn experimentation.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Ambaire posted:

I tried checking out the game files to see if you could swap out the audio file for a blank one. But alas, no dice. As far as mods go, I am sure it is easy enough.

Ambaire posted:

Or just make a gravsphere. See my post above from my prawn experimentation.

Oh, I missed that. I keep meaning to mess with those things. It's a shame they took out the pusher-bots/displacers. I really wanted to do like an East Australian current style roller coaster tour of the biomes.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 17, 2017

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Ambaire posted:

They don't stack anymore.. the only air tank that matters is the one on the equipment grid. I made two high cap ones about 5 minutes into my experimental playthru (where high capacity is craftable with the fabricator) and nope the second one did nothing. A single high cap bumps oxygen to 135 tho, so it's not that big of an issue. And the super synthetic one which needs the mod station is 155 ish.

This is a bug, because I have a spare lightweight tank in my inventory and it absolutely adds to my total air.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ambaire posted:

Lonos Oboe posted:

I tried checking out the game files to see if you could swap out the audio file for a blank one. But alas, no dice. As far as mods go, I am sure it is easy enough.

It was just a stupid rant and I should stop doing those. The (normal) 30s/10s warnings saved my rear end at least 20 times during my 14 hour stint yesterday.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Some observations from someone who binged ~15 hours on this recently:

- I got attacked by a dang fish out of nowhere literally as soon as I stepped in the water for the very first time. I'm not talking, oh I started swimming away from the pod and blundered into something, a Stalker blindsided me as soon as I stepped out of the emergency pod. Between that (and he stuck around for a good day/night cycle) and a Sandshark whose home was ~50m from my starting point, I think the first couple hours were a little more stressful than they're meant to be.

- Most of the early-game progression felt really good and pretty natural, in a "puzzling out how to survive an alien world" sort of way. The leap to 'Use Knife on Coral,' 'Coral + Salt = Easier Water' was really unintuitive, I think because I'm so conditioned to think of weapons and tools as distinct categories of things (i.e., weapons only do damage to enemies, tools only affect environmental objects, etc.). Well, that, and the fact that a knife would not be my go-to tool for breaking coral in general.
-- Also salt is really hard to notice if you don't know what you're looking for / that you should be looking for it at all. Combined with the fact that I figured "magnesium" would be something you'd just find, it took a long stressful time to get a repair tool, and get my water situation mostly stabilized. (gently caress bottlefish :mad: )

- The way the PDA talks, the reactor core explosion really sounds like something you're expected to do something about. I half-expected to die because I wasn't at 'minimum safe distance.' Not... sure what I'd change about that, it's a cool moment, but it was disconcerting.

- I <3 my Seamoth. :3:

- Agreement with the general sentiment that the "survival" elements are kind of... a bit much. I wouldn't mind if the rate of hunger/dehydration were, like, halved. As it is, there's a lot of busywork just keeping hydrated and fed, + waiting for the drat fabricator to bleach water and cook fish.
-- For that matter, the enemy density feels awfully high. Like, the occasional Thrasher Stalker would be a bit scary and tense. Fending off a half-dozen of them just to get some dang weeds is tedious.
---- Related: the audio density of creature noises is stupidly high as well. Love the sound design, love the various disconcerting creature sounds, but when you're first plunging in and still sorting out one critter's noises from another's, it's a bit much.

- oh jesus oh gently caress the things I saw coming out of the abyss past the orbital AA emplacement are probably the most genuinely terrified I've been in a while

Question: without spoiling too much, what do I need in order to mine those huge conspicuous mineral deposits? I thought for sure something called a 'laser cutter' would let me, y'know, cut stuff. :sigh:

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Ghost of Starman posted:

Question: without spoiling too much, what do I need in order to mine those huge conspicuous mineral deposits? I thought for sure something called a 'laser cutter' would let me, y'know, cut stuff. :sigh:

If you visit the Aurora after it's exploded and you can enter it you will find the designs for SOMETHING that can mine the deposits if you explore thoroughly.