Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Zas posted:

I'm on like the 6th palace and everything's been great but I don't think there's been a narrative thread as good as that first Kamoshida one, that was pretty amazing

I agree with the exception of Futaba's palace/storyline/boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
the first one has so much built up around it it's hard to beat

to me the fifth was by far the weakest at both the dungeon and story, but that kinda narratively makes sense I guess.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The Milkman posted:

the first one has so much built up around it it's hard to beat

to me the fifth was by far the weakest at both the dungeon and story, but that kinda narratively makes sense I guess.

Which one was that again? I can't keep track of them by number anymore lol

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Which one was that again? I can't keep track of them by number anymore lol

okamura, the factory

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I liked that one because they really sold that poo poo was getting out of control.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

In Training posted:

I liked that one because they really sold that poo poo was getting out of control.

Yeah, the Phan stuff around it was good

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Oh yeah, that was kind of a dud.

I think this game desperately needed other things going on aside from "Adults Are SCUM Us Kids Know Better!!" Which is great for a time, but after the 15th request to change some parents heart I kinda just X'ed through most of them because they were all the same. A little variety in mementos requests woulda gone far imo. Later in the game it gets really cheesy with the Teen Knowledge stuff too.

It also feels unfair to compare this to P4, which was the first game I ever played in this series so obviously it blew me away in every possible aspect.. but I still think a teen murder mystery is more interesting then most things going on in P5. I almost wish they went with the fun angle of being an endearing rogue stealing and breaking into buildings w/your friends. That's kinda what I got out of the initial trailer but the final game is nothing like that. That's more my fault for reading into things wrong tho.

Still GOTY.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I liked the overall story in Persona 5 at least as much as Persona 4's because I loved how huge and out of control everything got. Everything you do in Persona 4 is necessarily secretive, it's something almost nobody else knows you're doing, and everything stays really small-scale. I really like that, to be clear. It's really unique and cool. I think the grandness of Persona 5's story is just such a contrast with both 3 and 4 that I really loved it, and its focus on real-life problems instead of Persona 3's impending end of the world and Persona 4's supernatural murder mystery was really compelling.

Story-wise I'd honestly have a hard time picking between them. I do wish that the exposition hadn't been so drat clunky towards the end though.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Adults are extremely lame it's true

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Persona 4's story felt very unfocused at times in the midgame. The characters were always reacting to events and never making much real progress. The true ending requirements and callback are really dumb too. It soured me on the whole plot.

Persona 3 had strong thematic consistency, but the pacing was poo poo. Persona 5's storyline manages to take the best parts of 3 and 4 and combine them. It has strong thematic consistency, decent pacing, and active protagonists.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

3 really made you feel like Persona was loving you up bad. Using those fusion spells was rad.

Big P5 spoiler Now summoning Megazord Superdevil is no big deal. I miss that part.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I did like how the Persona awakening scenes in P5 were all really dramatic and looked really painful and difficult. Way cooler than your Shadow gently turning into a Persona in P4 imo

Re: that spoiler: It'd probably be a bigger deal if you didn't have the Power of Belief behind you and all that.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
When you finish off a boss with a repel

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
doing the futaba dungeon on my second playthrough. I think I might be able to plat this without a guide, but idk when I can try the secret ng+ boss and have a chance

persona opinions : p5 is a very strong contender in every category, and while it does not have the best characterization in certain arcs, the overall writing is good and the game has improved on almost every aspect of P4 / P3 that I liked and added new good stuff on top of it. it's very hard for me to not call this my fav persona, although there's plenty to pick out of it

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The Milkman posted:

When you finish off a boss with a repel

This is how I beat Futaba's boss w/Despaired MC and no way of healing it :madmax:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I like persona 5 because the theme is "society is poo poo and hosed up stuff happens" which strongly resonates with me

Like it's good that every Confidant is a little lovely in some ways

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yeah in style and substance i think its for sure the best one but i mean, its hard to compete w/that first time you play persona 4 or whatever, there's not a lot like that in games

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
persona 3 fes and smt nocturne: lucifer's call (featuring dante from the devil may cry series) were a revelation from the heavens to my young gaming self

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Persona 3 came out in the US on my 21st birthday :v:

I played the hell out of it for the next month. I was super hyped for it even though I didn't ever finish Persona 1 or 2 (Eternal Punishment) even though I had them both for PS1 for a long time

Persona 4 came out during winter break in my last year of university when I was sad about having to leave my friends so it really struck a chord with me and that's probably why it's always gonna be a sentimental favorite

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
shin megami tensei 3 (called lucifer's call in europe) was edited by ubisoft in europe and to my knowledge it is the only smt game to receive a FIGS translation, i played it in french after reading about how cool it was in a rpg magazine

then it took forever for smt games to came out in europe because they dont sell lol

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the one classic heist scenario that wasn't made into a dungeon, a prison break, could have worked to break up the monotony (which wasn't really that bad i thought)

though you get a bit of that in the velvet room, mementos and in the aftermath of palace six

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

the one classic heist scenario that wasn't made into a dungeon, a prison break, could have worked to break up the monotony (which wasn't really that bad i thought)

though you get a bit of that in the velvet room, mementos and in the aftermath of palace six

Actually would've been cool if there was an actual jailbreak in the Velvet Room before Fake Igor reveals himself, then just have everyone present for Caroline and Justine turning into Lavenza and Yaldabaoth's reveal but the ending was cool even without something like that

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I like persona 5 because the theme is "society is poo poo and hosed up stuff happens" which strongly resonates with me

Like it's good that every Confidant is a little lovely in some ways

Yeah, I get what you're saying, but for me it felt like they went back to the well a few too many times. More people cheating at videogames and less people torturing cats/children for instance. At some point things that normally would gut punch you end up feeling numb and meaningless because it's all you've been exposed to for 100 hours. But regardless, I know I'm being nitpicky and this is still the Persona game people should play if they're brand new to the series. Mechanically it's the best by far, which is arguably more important then any story qualms I might have

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

p3 will probably always be my favorite and I feel like so much of what made it interesting got ironed out of p4 and p5. I hope that if they make a p6 it's something radically different.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Just got P5 for PS3. It's my first Persona (except for the guilty gear-style persona 4 fighting game that I played a little).

It's time to game

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

Actually would've been cool if there was an actual jailbreak in the Velvet Room before Fake Igor reveals himself, then just have everyone present for Caroline and Justine turning into Lavenza and Yaldabaoth's reveal but the ending was cool even without something like that

The entire ending felt a bit weird in a way.

I had a whole thing written out about it but it would be too cruel if someone accidentally got spoilered so I'll just say that I think the ending could have been better, but it was still good.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I like when ryuji turns to the camera and explains friendship and aesthetics

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Foxhound posted:

The entire ending felt a bit weird in a way.

I had a whole thing written out about it but it would be too cruel if someone accidentally got spoilered so I'll just say that I think the ending could have been better, but it was still good.

I still thought it stuck the landing pretty well, like I loved everything about summoning Satanael with the power of belief, and then Joker still having to deal with real-world bullshit immediately after because even if you shoot God in the face the real world doesn't stop being complicated and often lovely. Then everyone banding together to get him out and the road trip at the end, all of it was A+

A lot of stuff before then kind of stumbled but the finale was spot-on I thought

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Everything post 7th dungeon and pre-finale just feels a little gratuitous and unearned. Stuff before that had good grounding and made sense in the setting.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

Everything post 7th dungeon and pre-finale just feels a little gratuitous and unearned. Stuff before that had good grounding and made sense in the setting.

Persona games like to go for thematic final conclusions, more so than plot-driven ones. At least, Persona 4 and 5 both did. The final bosses of each are essentially just personifications of the ideas you've been fighting against for the whole game. To be fair, part of me wishes that Persona 5 would've let the human-scale societal evils be the main enemy the whole way through, but then we wouldn't get Satanael shooting God in the face and all the "it's like SMT but more Gnostic" stuff in the finale, so it's a hard call.

From my perspective, there's only one real place the game totally fell on its face, writing-wise, and it's the exposition dumps after Akechi is revealed to be evil. They're unnecessary--we find out almost all that stuff in more natural ways later--on top of being terribly written, and they sap all the momentum out of a really cool plot development.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

so people helped me out in the derpy klurf thread that i don't have to worry about social links: what about social stats? sometimes I'm told I don't have enough GUTS to mouth off to someone. I'm only on 4/18, but so far I think I've only raised knowledge (from a plato question in class) and proficiency (made some lockpicks). Is it easy to miss opportunities to raise these?

i dont want to look up any spoilers but i also don't want to miss out on cool stuff :shobon:

also IGOR needs to learn about pokemon storage because no one told me i had a limit of 6 personas until i recruited my 7th and had to kill one off :mad:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Social stats and confidant links are equally important with one major difference: Social stats carry over to NG+ while confidant links do not. Just keep that in mind while you move forward. Since I knew by the end of the game I wasn't going to max everyones link I opted to max my social stats since I already had NG+ in mind.

You also get more slots as you progress the story

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's one social link that requires each of the stats to be maxed, and a few others have requirements to start them or reach certain points. I'll spoiler out the social links. Rank 5 is maximum for a social stat.
  • Knowledge: Rank 3 required to start Priestess; rank 5 required to max Star.
  • Kindness: Rank 2 required to start Lovers; rank 4 required to start Hermit; rank 5 required to max Heirophant.
  • Guts: Rank 2 required to really start Death; rank 3 required to start Temperance; rank 4 required to start Hanged Man; rank 5 required to max Hanged Man.
  • Charm: Rank 3 required to start Star; rank 5 required to max Priestess.
  • Proficiency: Rank 4 required to max Emperor; rank 5 required to start Empress.
I think that's all of them.

As for ways to increase them, nothing is really missable. Check books out of the library at school and read them (and make sure you always have a book you haven't read because sometimes you get free time to read on the train to school). Other than that, some repeatable things you can do to increase stats are:
  • Knowledge: Studying at the Shibuya diner when it's raining gives you good Knowledge. You'll also get little trickles of Knowledge here and there for answering in-class questions correctly.
  • Kindness: Buy plant nutrients at the flower shop in Shibuya (and, later, Shinjuku) and feed the plant in your room whenever it needs nutrients. Hanging out with the Tower confidant also increases Kindness.
  • Guts: Big Bang Burger Challenge always gives a bunch of Guts, even if you fail. You'll also get a small amount for hanging out with the Death confidant.
  • Charm: Taking a bath at the bathhouse near Leblanc gives a bunch of Charm. You can also get Charm for hanging out with the Devil and Sun confidants.
  • Proficiency: The best repeatable way to increase Proficiency is crafting infiltration tools. You also get some for hanging out with the Hanged Man confidant.

dromal phrenia posted:

also IGOR needs to learn about pokemon storage because no one told me i had a limit of 6 personas until i recruited my 7th and had to kill one off :mad:

You can always buy back any Persona you've had from the Compendium in the Velvet Room.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
So I'm in late november did I miss my chance to rank up Sun? it says "my deal with him is over and I should get out of the way of his speech". i haven't finished 7th palace yet no spoilies if that'll change the circumstances

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Milkman posted:

So I'm in late november did I miss my chance to rank up Sun? it says "my deal with him is over and I should get out of the way of his speech". i haven't finished 7th palace yet no spoilies if that'll change the circumstances

Yes. Once the election begins, he's not available anymore.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

If I beat this palace, I can't ever return to it right? I have a locked chest I want to open, and no lockpicks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Correct.

Have you found the treasure yet? The game doesn't tell you this upfront, but you can't finish the palace until you find the treasure, leave, do something in the real world, and then come back. So if you're near the end of the palace but haven't done that real-world thing, you'll have one more day in that palace guaranteed, and you can craft lockpicks before then. I tell you this because I know some people get right up to where the treasure is and assume they're about to fight the boss, so they leave to heal up and come back the next day, only to be booted right back out again, which can be frustrating.

If you're on the final run of the palace (you'll definitely know it if you are) and you don't have enough lockpicks for a chest don't worry about it. Locked chests contain useful stuff but it's never so good that you should reset or something.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Harrow posted:

Yes. Once the election begins, he's not available anymore.

ok kinda figured. i played based on the assumption that unless i followed a guide like a gatdang tool i'd miss a few maxes and should just mop up in NG+. i have max stats already so i'll just do what i can the rest of the way

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Harrow posted:

Correct.

Have you found the treasure yet? The game doesn't tell you this upfront, but you can't finish the palace until you find the treasure, leave, do something in the real world, and then come back. So if you're near the end of the palace but haven't done that real-world thing, you'll have one more day in that palace guaranteed, and you can craft lockpicks before then. I tell you this because I know some people get right up to where the treasure is and assume they're about to fight the boss, so they leave to heal up and come back the next day, only to be booted right back out again, which can be frustrating.

If you're on the final run of the palace (you'll definitely know it if you are) and you don't have enough lockpicks for a chest don't worry about it. Locked chests contain useful stuff but it's never so good that you should reset or something.
oh yeah i definitely did not know that, i assumed getting the treasure and getting it out entailed a boss fight and ended the palace.

thanks for the details, now i'll see if i can push forward. i just found the second map in the gross awful room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the stuff in chests is randomized i'm pretty sure and usually garbage

• Locked thread