Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Thoughtless posted:

So uh, is it just me or is this game extremely drat hard?

Like, it takes me like two clips of pistol ammo to kill the slightly tougher aliens. I can't kill the big floating blobs even with the Q-Beam. Sneaking past most of the enemies doesn't seem to be an option either.

I feel like I hosed myself by not buying all the combat neuromods, which this game is clearly balanced around unless I'm missing something.

There are nades that help a lot, plus you can save your ammo a lot with Gloo Gun + Wrench. Don't forget you can also use all the turrets that are lying around, also if there are gas cannisters you can lay a trap. Do you have the Nerf dart bow? That thing carried me in the early game when it came to "sneaking".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Okay, use more environmental objects, got it.

I haven't found a shotgun yet.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Serf posted:

The fact that the PC port of Dishonored 2 is still bad is disappointing. I was gonna play that today now that I'm done with Prey.

You should play it. It's real good and has some of the best level designs in a video game, so if you are least a sucker for oozing atmosphere, theme and hyper detailed levels then hell yeah play that poo poo man. Story was kind of so-so serviceable compared to dh1

I played it at launch with a few tweaks and it ran pretty drat good on my 970. It helps that it's not a twitch shooter for sure, but there was only one level that was just a tad noticeably slow

This is of course a ymmv thing, remember some people had no problem with Arkhangelsk Knight but others did (I had problem s with that). So at least give the demo a shot but I suspect you will have no real problem

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Thoughtless posted:

Then you're not far into upgrading weapons either. Damage upgrades are a must. Where you're at your best bet is probably still glooing things and wrenching them to death. Also pick up gas canisters and throw them at enemies - they explode on impact.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Khym posted:

This looks neat. But, I usually hate Bethesda-developed games and worry that a Bethesda-published game will have the same general turd-worthiness.

Please advise.

Bethesda-published games seem to be very very good for whatever reason. Bethesda-developed games are garbage but Bethesda as a publisher has both Dishonored games, NewWolf, Doom 2016, Prey, and even The Evil Within

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Thoughtless posted:

Earliest shotgun in the game you can get is in the lobby, spoilers follow:

Go to the third floor in the lobby and get to the Sales office, which is roughly above the Neuromod lab (the first level). Grab the nerf crossbow, which should be in one of the cubicles. Go to the entrance to the shuttle bay, and shoot a dart through the gap in the security window at the door unlock button (I crouched against the opposite wall and arced it just above the button). This should open the security office, which has a shotgun and ammo

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Earliest shotgun in the game you can get is in the lobby, spoilers follow:

Go to the third floor in the lobby and get to the Sales office, which is roughly above the Neuromod lab (the first level). Grab the nerf crossbow, which should be in one of the cubicles. Go to the entrance to the shuttle bay, and shoot a dart through the gap in the security window at the door unlock button (I crouched against the opposite wall and arced it just above the button). This should open the security office, which has a shotgun and ammo

That's the slightly longer way. You can just clamber up the pipes outside of the office to a vent that leads in there.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Thoughtless posted:

So uh, is it just me or is this game extremely drat hard?

Like, it takes me like two clips of pistol ammo to kill the slightly tougher aliens. I can't kill the big floating blobs even with the Q-Beam. Sneaking past most of the enemies doesn't seem to be an option either.

I feel like I hosed myself by not buying all the combat neuromods, which this game is clearly balanced around unless I'm missing something.

It can be really hard at the beginning, but the difficulty drops off significantly once you upgrade a handful of important skills. Even on nightmare, the latter half of the game is a cakewalk if you know what you're doing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Are there any items that you can't get without Hacking 4?

OrganicAnkleSocks
Dec 5, 2005
I just had rolls of toilet paper thrown at me in this game. I think that is a first for a game. Poltergeist

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did the PS4 version improve yet?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I beat it on the PS4 and didn't have any issues. I didn't play the demo though so I can't compare

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

(endingchat) I wonder why they used Morgan's cell lines. I mean, if i was holding auditions for the role of 'person with empathy' Morgan isn't exactly who I'd choose.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Alex thought his stuntin' would convince me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl5i8UshP0k

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Did the PS4 version improve yet?

It's a lot better than the demo but there's still some lag. It's about on par with Dishonored 2 at this point, so if you could deal with that you can probably deal with this.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ostentatious posted:

We're gonna make history, Morgan.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
So what's this about the so-called Semi Sacred Geometry "female version"? Is there some version you hear it in-game other than the one played by Danielle Sho? Or is it just because it wasn't featured on the soundtrack?

e: Also, someone mentioned you die instantly if you scan the Apex. But I managed to do it, it got me down to 1 health and 0 psi + gave me Fear, but nothing as scary as January hinted at or as dumb as dying instantly.

Jan fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 16, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Don't spoil the ending if it's relevant, but what's up with Alex's nametag on his Steam trading card?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Don't spoil the ending if it's relevant, but what's up with Alex's nametag on his Steam trading card?

The image appears to be mirrored for some reason. I don't know what the nametag itself actually says, the concept art Transtar suit doesn't match the ones ingame.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 16, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ostentatious posted:

Glad to see Alex is finally taking his exercise seriously.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Jan posted:

So what's this about the so-called Semi Sacred Geometry "female version"? Is there some version you hear it in-game other than the one played by Danielle Sho? Or is it just because it wasn't featured on the soundtrack?

e: Also, someone mentioned you die instantly if you scan the Apex. But I managed to do it, it got me down to 1 health and 0 psi + gave me Fear, but nothing as scary as January hinted at or as dumb as dying instantly.

The female vocal version is during the credits sequence

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Bolow posted:

The female vocal version is during the credits sequence

And, erm, that bit I mentioned in my post? Unless you missed it in-game: One of the ways you can get Danielle Sho voice clippings is by playing back the song she played on stage with some other musician neuromodded crew members. You have to turn on the power to the stage in the Yellow Tulip, and then you can start it from the sound terminal.

What I'm asking is where/when/if the male version even plays.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Jan posted:

And, erm, that bit I mentioned in my post? Unless you missed it in-game: One of the ways you can get Danielle Sho voice clippings is by playing back the song she played on stage with some other musician neuromodded crew members. You have to turn on the power to the stage in the Yellow Tulip, and then you can start it from the sound terminal.

What I'm asking is where/when/if the male version even plays.

It doesn't

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Anyone know of a good environmental source of synthetic material that I can throw a recycler charge at? It's starting to become my bottleneck for fabricating neuromods after exotic material.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

moot the hopple posted:

Anyone know of a good environmental source of synthetic material that I can throw a recycler charge at? It's starting to become my bottleneck for fabricating neuromods after exotic material.

Whenever I ran low on synthetics for ammo, I just recycled a stack of the armor repair kits I inevitably ended up hoarding.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'm playing on Normal and I know I quicksave and quickload a lot if I feel like things could've gone a little better, and I only just got through the GUTS to the Arboretum but I feel like the midgame is waaay easier than the early game which can be kind of offputting.

Early when you're still wrenching things Mimics do just enough damage to make you consider a healthkit but not quite enough to feel terrifying so it feels more like a battle of attrition, especially if you're bad at hitting them.
But now I have a surprising excess of ammo and healthkits and most enemies can be taken down either by hucking a couch at them followed by a solid wrenching, or hitting the Combat Focus and hammering on the shotgun.

I should really use recycler charges more, I have like 12 of them. Exotic Material isn't even an issue, I need more minerals.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

bewilderment posted:

I'm playing on Normal and I know I quicksave and quickload a lot if I feel like things could've gone a little better, and I only just got through the GUTS to the Arboretum but I feel like the midgame is waaay easier than the early game which can be kind of offputting.
Play on Hard, you can still change it in settings. And really don't abuse quicksave. I really do think QS/QL takes a significant portio nof tension out of game especially if you QS every room and if you get blahrblahg attacked out of nowhere you just hit QL. And you will absolutely ruin your fun in games like Dishonored if you use it a lot instead of just salvaging the situation when poo poo goes tits up. Same thing in Prey, you probably have way more resources from knowing to optimize your fight again and not needing to use meds/repair as much, less ammo, etc.

But yes, it does get easier. It's like Dead Space and such in that regard as well, you can get pretty loving strong and it becomes more of a straight up action game. Combat Focus probably shouldn't have been included either since it sucks the tension right out mashing it right away, but I guess its on the players choice to use it or not.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
I just got to the Arboretum after clearing out GUTS. I managed to also open up Shuttle Bay/Cargo Bay, should I clear those out before going into Deep storage? or will the main quest take me there after?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can go poke around, even though I don't think you can go very far into either, but yes, the main plot will send you there soon.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

CJacobs posted:

You can go poke around, even though I don't think you can go very far into either, but yes, the main plot will send you there soon.

Alright sweet thanks. That makes sense. I just heard some interesting voice clips referencing those areas right before arboretum. I'm 23 hours in and insanely meticulous

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just don't go to the Cargo Bay through the GUTS, find another way in if you have access to one. There's an antechamber in the microgravity area that is closed from the GUTS side so you can't get in that way until much later in the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Xaris posted:

Play on Hard, you can still change it in settings. And really don't abuse quicksave. I really do think QS/QL takes a significant portio nof tension out of game especially if you QS every room and if you get blahrblahg attacked out of nowhere you just hit QL. And you will absolutely ruin your fun in games like Dishonored if you use it a lot instead of just salvaging the situation when poo poo goes tits up. Same thing in Prey, you probably have way more resources from knowing to optimize your fight again and not needing to use meds/repair as much, less ammo, etc.

It's the super power games forget about. I'm better at self regulating it with Prey because death is the only failstate, unlike Dishonored where an early triggered alarm can feel like the whole level is spoiled. But I still can't help myself not to save after most encounters.

The player isn't expected to enforce any of the game rules or balance themselves, so why are save states any different? (I realize this is a very difficult problem with no obvious, problemless solutions. I wonder if they experimented with SS2 type revival. There's no nanite analogue, though. )

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I'm planning on getting a new PC soon so I'm holding off on playing this until then. Instead, I went back and played through System Shock 2 for the first time.

I enjoyed it. Still a pretty tense game, even aged as it is. I wouldn't call it scary, but it had me on edge in that first-time-though-blighttown sort of way. Midwives manage to be pretty creepy, although like many enemies they are comically and astonishingly helpless against the almighty wrench/crystal twig. And lmao at the spider who falls on your head in the vents. I'm sure a few people absolutely poo poo themselves over that.

Usually I don't find myself caring much about the audio log stuff in these sorts of games but I was pretty into it in SS2, even with the sometimes subpar 1999 voice acting. The Many and Shodan are cool. Love the voice effects on em. Shodan's gimmick was probably more effective 18 years ago though. Now the whole "rogue AI who calls people meat sacks and wants to dominate mankind" deal feels a little more played out. Hell, last month I went through Mass Effect 3 where EDI spends half of her lines parodying it. Kept expecting Shodan to end a sinister monologue with "That was a joke."

I will say that while System Shock 2 seemingly gets held up as one of these "play however you want" sorts of games, I didn't get that impression while going through it. There aren't many alternate or creative routes to get around and stealth isn't really viable or supported. For the 10-20% of the time where you use guns instead of melee, you get to decide whether to use regular bullets, laser bullets, or magic bullets which doesn't seem particularly varied or compelling, especially since the combat isn't any good in the first place.

Can't decide if I loved the ending or hated the ending. Game gets dumb as hell the instant you defeat The Many and it's kind of hilarious. Every minute past that point is sillier than the last.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Vargs posted:

I'm planning on getting a new PC soon so I'm holding off on playing this until then. Instead, I went back and played through System Shock 2 for the first time.

I enjoyed it. Still a pretty tense game, even aged as it is. I wouldn't call it scary, but it had me on edge in that first-time-though-blighttown sort of way. Midwives manage to be pretty creepy, although like many enemies they are comically and astonishingly helpless against the almighty wrench/crystal twig. And lmao at the spider who falls on your head in the vents. I'm sure a few people absolutely poo poo themselves over that.

Usually I don't find myself caring much about the audio log stuff in these sorts of games but I was pretty into it in SS2, even with the sometimes subpar 1999 voice acting. The Many and Shodan are cool. Love the voice effects on em. Shodan's gimmick was probably more effective 18 years ago though. Now the whole "rogue AI who calls people meat sacks and wants to dominate mankind" deal feels a little more played out. Hell, last month I went through Mass Effect 3 where EDI spends half of her lines parodying it. Kept expecting Shodan to end a sinister monologue with "That was a joke."

I will say that while System Shock 2 seemingly gets held up as one of these "play however you want" sorts of games, I didn't get that impression while going through it. There aren't many alternate or creative routes to get around and stealth isn't really viable or supported. For the 10-20% of the time where you use guns instead of melee, you get to decide whether to use regular bullets, laser bullets, or magic bullets which doesn't seem particularly varied or compelling, especially since the combat isn't any good in the first place.

Can't decide if I loved the ending or hated the ending. Game gets dumb as hell the instant you defeat The Many and it's kind of hilarious. Every minute past that point is sillier than the last.

I used melee maybe 5% of the total game, rest was an awesome combo of Pistol that eventually became the Assault Rifle, Shotgun, Grenade Launcher, each with their respective whatever combo of ammo types. Never got people who play through SS2 and claim the combat was boring and then you realize they stuck to using the dumb wrench for the whole game. I would even go as far to say as the combat in SS2 felt more fun than Prey, in that I used more than one weapon for the majority of the game and wasn't forced into melee range every time I used it (Shotgun)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this has probably come up already but... can you save Danielle Sho? the message I got from her suggested she was gonna die, but is it possible to find her?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I loved system shock 2 (and 1) and thought bioshock 1 was enjoyable but a huge letdown. Is this game buy / not buy at full price?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

redreader posted:

I loved system shock 2 (and 1) and thought bioshock 1 was enjoyable but a huge letdown. Is this game buy / not buy at full price?

Buy buy buy

You can buy for $5 if you buy from DLGamer which I did. They're reputable, takes PayPal but their site takes a few minutes to spit out a key. GMG has been droping the ball the past year or two, sadly. https://isthereanydeal.com/#/page:game/info?plain=prey

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

uber_stoat posted:

this has probably come up already but... can you save Danielle Sho? the message I got from her suggested she was gonna die, but is it possible to find her?
Yes but it's probably different than what you expect, you need to do a side-quest for that though.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

CJacobs posted:

The image appears to be mirrored for some reason. I don't know what the nametag itself actually says, the concept art Transtar suit doesn't match the ones ingame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anti-Hero posted:

I found out about 4 hours after doing the Shuttle Bay quest help the two humans escape. I've read that if you hadn't tagged them previously through the security stations, you'll no longer be able to do that. Welp, there goes my cheevo.

From pages back but this was not the case for me. I was able to tag them again from the security station and cross them off the list by following the indicator it just takes to their launch tube

Also that achievement seems buggy, it popped for me before I found everyone. Same with the audio log one.