Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I now start every new game by going to the larger realms and making a bunch of people different religious cultists. It's pretty great tbh

Though it is kinda funny just how better the AI is at it than the player. Like, the optimal move as the head yourself is to just induct your kids, spam a few core lands with your secret religion and then die asap, because the AI will rollercoaster the cult so much better than you. It also doesn't help that the mechanics feel a bit opaque and there still isn't a good guide/wiki page for any of the societies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Motherfuckers are leaving Korans and Hindu scripture in my palace basically every week like I'm so impressionable that I'd convert just from reading a book.

I wish that if you had certain traits or high intrigue and or diplomacy you could use it to possibly get the exposed apostates to reveal a bunch of their fellow cultists. Burning them one at a time isn't very effective.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 15, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Honestly, prior to this, I thought that was how it was gonna work; with everyone captured giving up some of the others depending on their rank

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tibet confirmed

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Tibet confirmed

Neat!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Honestly, prior to this, I thought that was how it was gonna work; with everyone captured giving up some of the others depending on their rank

At the very least, there should be a decision that fires for secret religion cultists when someone they know is caught that gives them the option to abandon their secret religion out of fear of the inquisition. So a court priest running a very active inquisition will generally convert people to the "true" religion over time without needing to actually burn every single secret cultist at the stake to do it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Ooh, sweet. Wonder if we'll get Tibetan portraits too.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

SkySteak posted:

Could you elaborate?
And everyone else has given you your answer.

But yes, everyone in the world is a secret X shenanigans.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm making baby steps into this game, but it seems like my vassals, wife, and court/kingdom helpers are all intent on acting like gossiping 7th graders. My wife is pissed at me because she doesn't like one *very* competent administrator I have; I told her to piss off because we're going to have to make some concessions if we wanna get to be emperor. Then my court dudes are having little piss fights, and then take things very personally when they force me into making a choice.

I know I'm still learning to be ruler of my one little backwater county/province of Ireland, and maybe these dudes are indeed trying to help, but holy crap I have the desire to sack/imprison/execute the next person (wife included) who makes their playground bullies my problem.

am i playing this right

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm just a new to this game as you are, and yeah, that sounds about right. I'm enjoying it though.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

buglord posted:

I know I'm still learning to be ruler of my one little backwater county/province of Ireland, and maybe these dudes are indeed trying to help, but holy crap I have the desire to sack/imprison/execute the next person (wife included) who makes their playground bullies my problem.

Nope. They're just being dicks.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
That must be the high intrigue backstabbing things the YouTube tutorials warned me about then.

or maybe they just like being dicks too.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

buglord posted:

am i playing this right

If you haven't scooped out their eyes, scraped off their faces and then tossed them in the oubliette, then no

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FreudianSlippers posted:

Tibet confirmed
I think it'd be awesome if they kept expanding into China, Korea and Japan. SE Asia, etc.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I hope they keep going earlier. I want to play CK2 as the Scythians and Assyrians and poo poo.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

buglord posted:

I'm making baby steps into this game, but it seems like my vassals, wife, and court/kingdom helpers are all intent on acting like gossiping 7th graders. My wife is pissed at me because she doesn't like one *very* competent administrator I have; I told her to piss off because we're going to have to make some concessions if we wanna get to be emperor. Then my court dudes are having little piss fights, and then take things very personally when they force me into making a choice.

am i playing this right

Serious Advice: If their unlanded and not your wife, you can tell them afterwards to get the gently caress out of your court.

Real Advice:

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

If you haven't scooped out their eyes, scraped off their faces and then tossed them in the oubliette, then no

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

buglord posted:

am i playing this right

This is basically how the game is. The other nobles and courtiers will constantly engage in drama and shittery to get their way, whether it's because of petty personal disputes or because they want to increase their own power, and your interests as the ruler are only vaguely respected at best.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Could that big 'URMA' in the bottom right of the screenshots be Burma? Oh god are we actually getting a China/SEA expansion.

e: never mind, didn't notice the map border :downs:

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I am yet to see a post of yours that wasn't made that much more beautiful since you got your Mola Ram avatar.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Mehhhh I guess this is cool but [classic CK2 DLC criticism] I'd really like to see the game get deeper rather than wider. I guess a new Pagan religion to paint the map with will be cool, but I don't really gently caress with anything east of Persia anyway so...[/classic CK2 DLC criticism].

I will still buy it of course because I am weak.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's just another area/religion for them to ignore like West Africa.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

So I started an ironman merchant Republic game playing as Donald Trump. Don't have much experience with merchant republics so I figured I would have some fun with it. Started in Venice on the earliest start date.

The original Donald had two children, Donald Jr and the attractive genius Ivanka, before dying of old age in his 40s. I decided to try and lock down a more secure future for junior by becoming a Satanist and taking seduction focus to have tons of kids.

Of course, Donald started his seduction career with his sister Ivanka and she was all for it. She and Donald junior had 3 little boys together that were unfortunately all claimed by her duke husband. The Duke didn't seem to be on to the infidelity from Ivanka, but he did rip her eyes out on the assumption that she was a Satanist like Donald, which she was not. She died soon after.

Donald junior moved on and climbed the ranks of the Satanist cult until he became the leader. He ignored the warnings that he was dabbling in to the dark arts a little too often though, because of course he would, and was soon outed as a known demon worshipper. A nice -50 opinion hit to everyone who doesn't worship demons like him.

But at this point I only had one legitimate son despite seducing people for decades. The Trump clan was still not secure in their place and needed more children. Unfortunately, the only women on planet earth who were willing to join Donalds court were also Satanists. They all had quite high opinions of the donald from their home courts as they shared a mutual love of the devil so I invited them to come to my court to have some babies. I figured they would also join me on every assassination attempt I went through on fellow house leaders so that was just a bonus.

But as soon as they joined my court they got the -50 opinion for me being a known demon worshipper as well. This was pretty confusing to me, as they already knew this as fellow demon worshippers and loved me from afar for being the head of the cult. Maybe it could be justified by being hated for bringing suspicion to the cult or something? They were fine with it when I sent the invites out. I don't know. Either way I had now invited 8 completely evil and high intrigue women to my court who hated me.

Donald junior was assassinated two weeks later.

He was succeeded by his 17 year old son, Donald the third, who is leaning toward how to convert to Shia Islam so he can assassinate people better than his father did. At least I put enough cash in the campaign fund before biting it so young donald won his election fair and square :unsmith:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FreudianSlippers posted:

Tibet confirmed

If we don't get Secret Masters I'm going to loot, pillage, burn and rape the entire of Sweden.

(In game of course, doing it in real life would take far too long.)

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost

I've been trying to murder my wife for 13 years and she survived again :shepicide:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Iodised QQ posted:

Of course, Donald started his seduction career with his sister Ivanka and she was all for it. She and Donald junior had 3 little boys together that were unfortunately all claimed by her duke husband.
Well, there's your mistake. If you're going to seduce your sister, make sure she doesn't get married.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Soho Joe posted:

I've been trying to murder my wife for 13 years and she survived again :shepicide:
Well, have you tried buttering up either Satan or the Pope to divorce you wife know that daggers failed?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Soho Joe posted:

At some point you should just throw her in jail and execute her. Or use the Intrigue focus to frame/imprison her.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Soho Joe posted:

Is that a -3400 relationship modifier because of "Attempted Murder"? :haw:

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

buglord posted:

Is that a -3400 relationship modifier because of "Attempted Murder"? :haw:

Seventeen discovered attempts :allears:

It's not paranoia if they are actually out to get you.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

McGavin posted:

It's just another area/religion for them to ignore like West Africa.

Personally I really like that little corner of the map round the Talamakan Desert. Try every so often to do a game of it with the 770 start, so for me expanding that area is cool in my books. Should make India a bit more interesting as well, so it's something.

Small thing I just read from notes, they're taking away Indian holy orders from the get go. Somehow I feel this is going to lead to the Abbasids just steamrolling into there in earlier starts now, also makes starting as a Buddhist round the Talamakan Desert even more difficult.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
CK2 just clicked for me after years of owning the base game, and goddamn am I obsessed with it now.

I keep having a weird thing, though. I never understand what "leading troops" actually means. For example, I'm the king and it said I was "leading troops" but if I click on the one singular army I have, the three leaders are definitely not my king.

Is this just something that bugs out commonly?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

-Dethstryk- posted:

CK2 just clicked for me after years of owning the base game, and goddamn am I obsessed with it now.

I keep having a weird thing, though. I never understand what "leading troops" actually means. For example, I'm the king and it said I was "leading troops" but if I click on the one singular army I have, the three leaders are definitely not my king.

If you were leading troops but joined up your troops into one unit, you can still secretly end up leading troops. Try manually reassigning the king to command one of the three slots and then swap him out, that should fix it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

-Dethstryk- posted:

Technically each individual unit within the flanks can also have a leader (I don't know if this actually has any effect; I'm pretty sure only the flank leader actually affects combat stats). You mostly see it if you raise vassal troops levies - if the vassal likes you they will sometimes join their troops as a general, but you probably set the flank leaders yourself so they just assign themselves to some random sub-unit of troops that belongs to them. The same thing will happen with your leader when you raise your own levies, which is why if you don't want them in combat it's important to set the "don't lead troops" button on the character page.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Awesome, thanks. That makes sense now and I'm totally fine with it if that's how it's working.

It was mostly a concern one day because I had a king with the flu thinking he should be leading troops, but the toggle button helped that one out. What an rear end in a top hat.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone summarize the big secret society changes since the dlc came out? Do religious societies get cool stuff now? How badly did satanists get nerfed?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

FreudianSlippers posted:

Motherfuckers are leaving Korans and Hindu scripture in my palace basically every week like I'm so impressionable that I'd convert just from reading a book.

I wish that if you had certain traits or high intrigue and or diplomacy you could use it to possibly get the exposed apostates to reveal a bunch of their fellow cultists. Burning them one at a time isn't very effective.

Yeah, the secret religion societies are way too effective in the AI's hands. In my current game, the HRE turned Germanic (which is extremely annoying), and the ERE went Cathar. I just won a Crusade for Greece, and while looking for lowborn dudes to turn into counts, every single one of them who wasn't zealous had sympathy for Paganism. I switched my chaplain to inquisition mode to see if that would help, and he cannot keep up with all these goddamn apostates.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Swearing fealty to ruin an empire is now amazing and great as all you need to do is be a different religion and with enough piety to falsely confess and form the cult.

No Pants posted:

Yeah, the secret religion societies are way too effective in the AI's hands. In my current game, the HRE turned Germanic (which is extremely annoying), and the ERE went Cathar. I just won a Crusade for Greece, and while looking for lowborn dudes to turn into counts, every single one of them who wasn't zealous had sympathy for Paganism. I switched my chaplain to inquisition mode to see if that would help, and he cannot keep up with all these goddamn apostates.
? Wait, I thought unreformed pagans couldn't make secret societies, did they change that?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Secret pagans would make sense since it was an actual thing.

In Iceland it was even an official part of the conversion process. The althing agreed that everyone should become Christian but that you should still be allowed to do pagan rituals in private as long as you kept it on the down low.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FreudianSlippers posted:

Secret pagans would make sense since it was an actual thing.

In Iceland it was even an official part of the conversion process. The althing agreed that everyone should become Christian but that you should still be allowed to do pagan rituals in private as long as you kept it on the down low.

I kinda feel like there should be some alternate mechanic for secret pagans where they're much less likely to go public and where they only are formed by false conversions instead of false converts spreading the religion. (Maybe they can convert only family-by-marriage, and all their kids are automatically secret pagans) And maybe it's less stressful to be a secret pagan in a secret pagan country like that? Maybe it's just like that in a country that has wholesale falsely converted.

I dunno, the false convert thing is kinda weird in an Iceland situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
I started my first game as a Viking king, and wow this is incredibly different from playing a late era feudal king. I've consolidated as much power as I can, but these dudes don't make money for poo poo. I guess I really do have to constantly raid, since the mechanic pops up if I don't.

Game is still awesome. Also I'm pretty sure when I die this whole thing is going to crumble apart and that is awesome.

• Locked thread