Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Marvel is in Standard for another year and a half.

But Ulamog is leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rinkles posted:

But Ulamog is leaving.

If the upcoming Nicol Bolas planeswalker is as powerful as Ugin was, they're going to end up needing to ban Marvel at some point.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rinkles posted:

But Ulamog is leaving.

Marvel would probably not be playable without Ulamog... Or at least Fringy if the best thing you can get off it is like a Worldbreaker or a Chandra 6.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Marvel would probably not be playable without Ulamog... Or at least Fringy if the best thing you can get off it is like a Worldbreaker or a Chandra 6.

good thing they're not going to print any other game-winning 7+ mana spells for the next 15 months then.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Marvel would be fun janky poo poo without the OP Eldrazi. Would love to hit a T4 Nissa's Renewal or the Vanilla 10/10 Eldrazi that shits out a 10/10 token beside it. Also like the dude said a post up Approach from the 2nd Sun.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The thing that I like more in the Eldrazi, in Aetherwork Marvel and so on is that they are dumb timmy cards that really piss off people that want to feel "smart" playing control decks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

80s James Hetfield posted:

Marvel would be fun janky poo poo without the OP Eldrazi. Would love to hit a T4 Nissa's Renewal or the Vanilla 10/10 Eldrazi that shits out a 10/10 token beside it. Also like the dude said a post up Approach from the 2nd Sun.

Sandworm Convergence.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

mcmagic posted:

Sandworm Convergence.

I think I would cough up blood laughing if this became a thing.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

YggdrasilTM posted:

The thing that I like more in the Eldrazi, in Aetherwork Marvel and so on is that they are dumb timmy cards that really piss off people that want to feel "smart" playing control decks.

Eldrazi cards themselves don't make control unplayable, the dumb, durdling, value vomit that comes from Marvel decks does.

e:

Also what part of "lol I love how this bad gameplay makes people that I dislike not have fun" is supposed to come off as not incredibly douchey?

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 15, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

I think I would cough up blood laughing if this became a thing.
Well it's not Legendary so you can just pile them in there, and nobody runs enchantment hate anyway...

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

ThePeavstenator posted:

Eldrazi cards themselves don't make control unplayable, the dumb, durdling, value vomit that comes from Marvel decks does.

e:

Also what part of "lol I love how this bad gameplay makes people that I dislike not have fun" is supposed to come off as not incredibly douchey?

no, it's more "I love when people lose to things they dismiss as bad gameplay". It's more or less the reason I play only janky, improbable decks in modern.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

YggdrasilTM posted:

no, is more "I love when people lose to things they dismiss as bad gameplay".

Unless you have a gambling addiction what about pulling a slot machine is supposed to be fun?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

ThePeavstenator posted:

Unless you have a gambling addiction what about pulling a slot machine is supposed to be fun?

I like the feeling when you are extremely behind on board and you try to solve the situation with 6 unknown cards. It's like a new puzzle everytime.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Some people are so bad at the game the only way they can succeed is by coinflip.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

YggdrasilTM posted:

I like the feeling when you are extremely behind on board and you try to solve the situation with 6 unknown cards. It's like a new puzzle everytime.

The answer to the puzzle is "The card I need and/or Ulamog is in the top 6" or "The card I need and/or Ulamog is not in the top 6". A real headscratcher.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

Some people are so bad at the game the only way they can succeed is by coinflip.

I actually built a coinflip deck once. It was great.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My favorite puzzle game is pack wars.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Chill la Chill posted:

My favorite puzzle game is pack wars.

Flip it or Rip it.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

ThePeavstenator posted:

The answer to the puzzle is "The card I need and/or Ulamog is in the top 6" or "The card I need and/or Ulamog is not in the top 6". A real headscratcher.

Sometimes it's not so easy. Do I cast this attune to find a land and MAYBE cast Ulamog from my hand in the next 2 turns? Do I cast Chandra and use her as a removal, even if she will surely die next turn? Do I cast a puzzleknot for just 3 life and spin again next turn?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Speaking of puzzle games is anyone playing the mtg puzzle quest? Could not find a thread for it or any current chatter in the android/ios games threads

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Maybe the real Marvel was the friends we made along the way.

Nah just kidding the real marvel is that the card was clearly designed and developed with casting Eldrazi in mind, since they all have casting triggers and like every other card like this just puts it on the battlefield, yet apparently no one bothered to ask hey wait what happens if you cast eldrazi real early using this card almost explicitly made for doing just that.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Bugsy posted:

Speaking of puzzle games is anyone playing the mtg puzzle quest? Could not find a thread for it or any current chatter in the android/ios games threads

I played it for a little while but it's probably one of the most textbook examples of "pay to win" in regards to free to play games, on top of the fact that the prices are loving outrageous. It would be a way more respectable game if there wasn't such an insane discrepancy between the power in terms of card rarity and the planeswalkers that cost real money.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

suicidesteve posted:

Flip it or Rip it.

Here is a small sample of the cards the people at my local store have ripped or flipped.

OgreNoah fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 15, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Maybe giving the eldrazi cast triggers that make counterspells kinda poo poo against them wasn't the greatest design decision, either.

I want a brainstorm reprint in HoD, because crafting your hand and top of deck is exactly what marvel decks need to ruin standard once and for all

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Aetherworks Marvel: Literally Six Times Worse Than Miracles

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

OgreNoah posted:

Here is a small sample of the cards the idiots at my local store have ripped or flipped.

Don't stop now... I'm so close...

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Ironically, all the cards for my New Perspectives deck arrived today. Except the New Perspectives.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Ironically, all the cards for my New Perspectives deck arrived today. Except the New Perspectives.

Just play the deck without them and complain about how unlucky you are to never find a New Perspectives even after cycling through 20+ cards.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

mcmagic posted:

Sandworm Convergence.

I kinda want to run this in my lovely Modern Enchantress deck even though it's way worse than any other wincon I'm packing right now.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GeneX posted:

Maybe giving the eldrazi cast triggers that make counterspells kinda poo poo against them wasn't the greatest design decision, either.

That part's fine on its own, since they tend to have huge mana costs. Problems arise when those mana costs are circumvented but they're still cast.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PJOmega posted:

I have three if you want to trade for'em. :/

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

OgreNoah posted:

Here is a small sample of the cards the people at my local store have ripped or flipped.

Your store is literally Hitler.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Maybe the real Marvel was the friends we made along the way.

Nah just kidding the real marvel is that the card was clearly designed and developed with casting Eldrazi in mind, since they all have casting triggers and like every other card like this just puts it on the battlefield, yet apparently no one bothered to ask hey wait what happens if you cast eldrazi real early using this card almost explicitly made for doing just that.

Weren't they not supposed to be in the same standard? Or if they were only for a few months? Nobody would be complaining if Ulamog had already rotated. What would the best card be to hit then, Sandwurm Convergence?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

suicidesteve posted:

Your store is literally Hitler.

Weren't they not supposed to be in the same standard? Or if they were only for a few months? Nobody would be complaining if Ulamog had already rotated. What would the best card be to hit then, Sandwurm Convergence?

Marvel and Ulamog were legal last season too. It's that half of that season you just cast Emrakul off it and it was the best deck in the format. Then it wasn't even a real player because if you were playing a broken combo deck you'd play Infinite Cats.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

OgreNoah posted:

Where's the fun in rip it or flip it? Is it just for a dumb thrill like Russian Roulette?

Edit: Or is it to give the gift of Schadenfreude to others in your immediate vicinity? That guy in the background of the first photo looks like he's having a great time.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 16, 2017

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Where's the fun in rip it or flip it? Is it just for a dumb thrill like Russian Roulette?

Edit: Or is it to give the gift of Schadenfreude to others in your immediate vicinity? That guy in the background of the first photo looks like he's having a great time.

It's basically so you can post "lol u mad?" whenever someone points out how dumb it is.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

80s James Hetfield posted:

I don't like his updates (especially Bounty of the Luxa and I always HATED Prophetic Prism) but YMMV.

You can take this deck a bunch of different ways and mostly I change it up weekly because the 3 store meta in my 25 mile radius are very aggro based or control based.

I run 23 lands which gives us 37 cards left over & after 12 fogs we're at 25. I've been toying with running all 16 fogs (Commencement, Haze, Fissure, Repel) which leaves us with 21 cards so I'll report back how that does after Friday. I took Tower out of my build last week and ended up going 2-2 and I think I definitely want it back in.

Next you decide what you want your win-cons to be. Naturally the hierarchy goes Visions/Tower/Fateful Showdown/Man Land beats but now that we have Approach you can change the hierarchy of how you want it to work for you and base your deck around it.

It's really fun to play, you'll tilt the hell out of people running aggro decks and if you can slam a visions on T3 it's really hard to lose. If you find your meta is control throw some maindeck counters in there and if you can slam a T3 vision while they're tapped out or a t4 visions with dispel backup then it's favorable too. Only hard decision I regularly have to make is my t3 play if I have both visions and tower in hand. You'll have some trouble against XB decks that'll SB Pick the Brain, Lost Legacy, and Trangress so make sure you pack some counters in your SB

This is a fun goofy deck to play at FNM and Standard Showdown because it's a deck literally nobody thinks they'll play or even prepares for. I've basically 4-0 split or 3-1 FNM's for the last 3 months so if you play casual and just want to have fun this is the deck for you and it can definitely hang with the T1 matchups.

So I've been playing around with your list a little and the one thing I'm still sort of confused on is what a nut draw looks like for the deck and what your trip wires for mulligans and keeper hands looks like.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Marvel won't need a ban, it is as successful as it has ever been and it still isn't dominating and people have already adjusted. Today's 5-0 decks have 1 Marvel, 2 Mardu, 2 UR control and 4 zombie decks.

There still isn't even a consensus on the best Marvel or Zombie build, but the deck isn't exactly going to get strengthened by new sets since the core mechanic is limited to Kaladesh.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

Sandworm Convergence.

I didn't even think of this but I loving like it. I might build jank rear end marvel

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

ManMythLegend posted:

So I've been playing around with your list a little and the one thing I'm still sort of confused on is what a nut draw looks like for the deck and what your trip wires for mulligans and keeper hands looks like.

Lands that allow a T3 Visions/Tower. If I have 2 of the 3 pieces needed and I have an Anticipate I'll usually keep it.

I'll mull if I can't do anything the first 3 turns. Granted, I'm not a PT or GP or Open player but my FNM has like 20+ people a week with all kinds of brews, aggro, control and a few T1 poo poo so I'm not looking for an intense nut draw every game.

edit: do you play on MTGO? (lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Marketing New Brain posted:

the deck isn't exactly going to get strengthened by new sets since the core mechanic is limited to Kaladesh.

If Ugin was still in the format, giving the Marvel deck eight hits that are hard to answer, get you back in from behind, and end the game if unanswered, then it'd be the outright best deck. It's going to be hard for a Nicol Bolas, God-Pharoah to be both impressively powerful and also worth casting without being around as powerful as Ugin was, depending on if Hour of Devastation's development came late enough that they aren't deliberately pushing their story cards beyond a reasonable power level anymore. The Marvel deck builds up energy reasonably well, and can run Whir of Invention if getting Marvel were a guaranteed victory, so it's not like it needs any boosts to stuff dependent on Kaladesh mechanics.

Also even if Nicol Bolas isn't good enough, there needs to not be any super powerful expensive cards in the next four sets. Marvel is going to stick around a long rear end time, and maybe WotC is competent enough to recognize that and not print anything like the Eldrazi Titans, but I'm not particularly confident in them.