Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Crabtree posted:

Guys, I'm feeling kind of weird and out of it so I gotta ask - if the planets aligned to make it perfect, like legitimately good, how the hell would you go about making a live action Berserk movie?

... wait, if it's already going to be perfect, then why should it matter how it's made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

You start by casting Dave Bautista as Guts

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Zero Mostel as the count.

I'd think Griffin would be annoying to cast. Hunter Parrish? Mitch Hewer nearly looks 14. Of course Hayden Christensen was so whiny as Anakin, so that could work too.

As Casca: Sarah Palin. Okay, okay, Winona Ryder. How boring.

Now then, who makes the best Puck?

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 16, 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Martin Freeman.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Rock as Guts. At the climax of the movie he punches out Femto, blasts through the eclipsed moon on a motorbike, and spontaneously breaks into a rendition of "Tell Me Why".

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

SatansBestBuddy posted:

... wait, if it's already going to be perfect, then why should it matter how it's made?

Because this has been a nightmare of mine for a long rear end time and I've never known if you should start like how the manga did and have a movie showing off Black Swordsman Guts killing Prostitute Apostle, Snake Baron and The Count to get people interested or save time and start from the Golden Age, I guess split it into three films and go from there.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Zero Mostel as the count.

I'd think Griffin would be annoying to cast. Hunter Parrish? Mitch Hewer nearly looks 14. Of course Hayden Christensen was so whiny as Anakin, so that could work too.

Now then, who makes the best Puck?

Aw come on, we could at least make sure Casca is done right. The two big men of the movie are pale as poo poo!

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

skasion posted:

The Rock as Guts. At the climax of the movie he punches out Femto, blasts through the eclipsed moon on a motorbike, and spontaneously breaks into a rendition of "Tell Me Why".

Ain't gonna lie, this good idea is good.

otaku means house. when they leave their house they are outside their zone and thus all bets are off. i was insinuating they might have eft traces of ectoplasm in the vicinty. I prefer using a lamp and maybe a pocket geiger counter to find the spots which might could use a spritz or two of lysol after an encounter.

Metal Pink Babble fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 16, 2017

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The answer is "very carefully" you would do a live action Berserk very carefully.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Rock would actually need to slim down a little depending on what periods you cover.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Caution is overrated. If you were just making a single movie I don't think faithfulness to the series should even be much of a priority.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Just make it Fast and the Furious 9 but at the end Vin Diesel pulls out The Egg of the King. Ludacris is the Rickert, Rock is still Guts and Michelle Rodriguez is Casca

Jason Statham is Zodd

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fumaofthelake posted:

Jason Statham is Zodd

I place my seal of approval on the dotted line. Please rush this to production!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If anything, Rock and/or Bautista could be Zodd.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If we're going more by "feel" and less on exact physical match, I'd cast Dan Stevens as Griffith. He has that charm, but can also play unhinged and threatening.

Then Tom Hardy as Guts. And maybe Nathalie Emmanuel as Caska?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'd give Casca to the Kravitz girl.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Metal Pink Babble posted:

otaku means house. when they leave their house they are outside their zone and thus all bets are off. i was insinuating they might have eft traces of ectoplasm in the vicinty. I prefer using a lamp and maybe a pocket geiger counter to find the spots which might could use a spritz or two of lysol after an encounter.

Are you on mescaline or something?

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Would she have black face or something? Surely there's at least someone of a less transparent hue out there.

(I adore Winona Ryder but cmon)

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
Scar Jo plays every roll A La Martin Lawrence in big momma's house

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Ccs posted:

If we're going more by "feel" and less on exact physical match, I'd cast Dan Stevens as Griffith. He has that charm, but can also play unhinged and threatening.

Then Tom Hardy as Guts. And maybe Nathalie Emmanuel as Caska?

I dig

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Nuebot posted:

So I've reached the Conviction Arc on my latest read through and every time I go through this dumb series I dislike the Golden Age more and more and like Conviction more each time. The arc with the Count is still my favorite for no particular reason, however.

Yo the arc with the Count owns because you get poo poo like a psychotic Guts annilhating troops and that amazing part where he cuts that big rear end dude in half so hard the sword goes through the loving pillar standing behind the guy and everyone is just :gonk: and peaces the gently caress outta there, the count just isn't paying enough to deal with this poo poo

You also have that part where he's first confronted by the guards and the one dude tries to block one of the strikes and miura draws the dudes eyes in this helmet like :stare: as the dragon slayer just effortlessly begins to pass through his sword like a knife through butter

What I'm saying is you're right to love that chapter, Berserk loving owns

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

If we're doing a live action Berserk, obviously we have to recreate the eclipse For Real, or the audience will be numb to it. It ain't berserk without massive amounts of human suffering after all.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Griffith definitely needs to look a little otherworldly from day one. Dude is destined to become a god, after all.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Caution is overrated. If you were just making a single movie I don't think faithfulness to the series should even be much of a priority.

If you were going to make a single movie, I'm not sure you should even bother. The story doesn't have a lot of good "complete" arcs that would stand fine on it's own. Like, even if you do the golden age arc from it's beginning up through Chuder's defeat in the 100 year war, you'd have to really work the visual majesty angle in order to sell it as anything more than a kinda good-but-not-extraordinary medieval action story.

Alternately you could do any of the stand-alone Black Swordsman arcs and just hint at what happened to make Guts such an rear end in a top hat. The result would be like a cross between a western, a fantasy movie, and a slasher flick. And again, they'd have to sell it 100% on style because there wouldn't be enough room to put in the meat of any really good story poo poo.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
If there had to be one movie, any chapter in the the Black Swordsman arc would be great. Any other arc is too long to be coherent or satisfying.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It would be generic hollywood action film and defeat the purpose of being a Berserk movie.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

temple posted:

It would be generic hollywood action film and defeat the purpose of being a Berserk movie.

No, it wouldn't. The hypothetical explicitly specifies that it's perfect.

I'm just saying that, given you can't fit all of Berserk into 90 minutes, it had better be a perfect single movie about a man killing demons with a very large sword that isn't slavishly devoted to something it isn't going to be either way.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ya the perfect hollywood berserk movie is just the very beginning, from snake guy to the count

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
There's no way for Berserk to happen as a Hollywood action movie. It's too long to be made as anything short of a big money trilogy, and too niche and bloody to become that. So the best you could hope for is a skilled adaptation of a portion of the story. For that Black Swordsman is your best bet, with Conviction maybe working if you cut out the Egg and other stuff that sets up future things.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
What about a TV show like Game of Thrones?
Golden Age arc would be a good fit I imagine.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Paul Blart but he has his right eye closed.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Same except his left eye, making the eye thing the most complained about thing rather than everything else.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The eye alternates between scenes, as does his prosthetic leg.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think the best single arc to adapt would be the misty valley/lost children or whatever it's called. Lots of good fights and you've got the girl as an audience stand in to explain poo poo to.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Berserk is a hard enough sell without focusing on the arc where the villain is a demonic, nude preteen

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Tilda Swinton for Griffith.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Zeruel posted:

Tilda Swinton for Griffith.

Unironically thinking this earlier.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

skasion posted:

Berserk is a hard enough sell without focusing on the arc where the villain is a demonic, nude preteen

You can age her up and tweak the design a bit.

The Count arc would be good too, although the scene with the Godhand at the end makes it way more confusing and messy. I think the key to a self contained Berserk movie would be getting across what an apostle is and how they are ultimately born from human weakness. The Snake apostle wouldn't be as good because he's so 1 dimensional.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

The Count arc would be good too, although the scene with the Godhand at the end makes it way more confusing and messy. I think the key to a self contained Berserk movie would be getting across what an apostle is and how they are ultimately born from human weakness. The Snake apostle wouldn't be as good because he's so 1 dimensional.

The snake guy only needs to be the starting ten minutes. Little starting context.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

7c Nickel posted:

Even with that, there is the fact that the hero murders a truckload of children. Children turned into demons, sure, but still a bit edgy for Hollywood. I guess they could age them all up, but "Valley of Lost 20-somethings" doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Don't get me wrong, I think Valley is a great story and one of my favourite bits of Berserk, but it's also the least likely to get the Hollywood treatment. They'd make Guts's Infinite Boat Adventure before that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Valley of the Millenials

e: The Millenial Falcon Arc

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
[Can we also get Guillermo Del Toro involved in all this wishful thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Schubalts posted:

[Can we also get Guillermo Del Toro involved in all this wishful thinking?

So he can start another project on top of the hundreds he wants to but will never complete?

Sounds like a perfect fit