Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Tree growth is thematic of ruin and age in dark souls. The bed of chaos and aldia are inferior flames and become a mound of twisted roots. The humanity bled corpses in the settlement turn into trees. Gundyr's (?) Sarcophagus has a tree growing over it preventing it from properly opening.
It can be related back to the arch trees because they are the base which everything will decay back into. Nature reasserts itself over the corpse of civilization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Internet Kraken posted:

There are really only two DS2 NPCs I hate. The stupid map guy is insanely boring and might as well not be in the game.

Worst character in any of these games imo.

:geno:: I'm sure I had a reason for being in this game, but I can't quite remember. What was it...?

:geno:: *mumbles nonsense for a while*

:geno:: *gets killed for his stupid hat*

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mad respect to Cale for pushing that boulder that kills a few hollow dudes

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What's annoying about Navlaan is that he has perfect bare-handed casting, but sadly he doesn't seem to use a normal human NPC model. That means he doesn't do it by using a special weapon I could purloin.

My bare-handed casting is sadly just almost as good.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 16, 2017

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

swamp waste posted:

I really like the guy who's just a head. All the stuff he says is just super melancholy and emotionally charged to me.

Real talk, Vengarl is the poo poo.

Mainly because he's the single most Planescape thing that the Souls series has ever done.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So what's the DS3 equivalent of the Rusted Iron Ring? I'm in a swamp and wading around up to my knees while permapoisoned is getting old fast. It's like Blighttown but without all of the ladders, which is a small improvement.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

And Tyler Too! posted:

So what's the DS3 equivalent of the Rusted Iron Ring? I'm in a swamp and wading around up to my knees while permapoisoned is getting old fast. It's like Blighttown but without all of the ladders, which is a small improvement.

Quickstep. Pick up a dagger, two-hand it, and get steppin.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

And Tyler Too! posted:

Grab a regular dagger, 2 hand it, and use the L2/LT attack for quickstepping around.

e: aarrgh

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
So this just happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQyyXWOBZw4

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Working as intended.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
That IS a clever nickname.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm the guy using a soldering iron.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Uncle w Benefits posted:

That IS a clever nickname.

You can really feel my creativity bursting through it.

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm the guy using a soldering iron.

He seemed to not have it upgraded, because he was doing 20-50 damage on anything he hit with it. Gimmick builds like that are annoying in co-op.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I wonder if anyone has tried the priest arm with the handmaiden dagger offhand

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Humans are slowly turning into trees and dragons. Eventually the fire fades and the age of ancients returns again.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
So I've been trying to avoid using meme weapons like the Paired Greatsword or Gaels but I keep running into Frayed Blade user after another. That goddamned combo comes out soo quick I have almost no chance when it does.

So I finally broke down and started using the Splitleaf against Frayed Blade users. Now I haven't lost against a Frayed Blade user since. :getin:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

"Velka" in Finnish means "debt". Conclude what you will.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Just started playing this. The knights in the first area kick my rear end all the time. Any tips? I'm playing as a light armor dex guy with a katana. Should I be trying to roll around them or parry them? I'm really poo poo at parrying.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Just started playing this. The knights in the first area kick my rear end all the time. Any tips? I'm playing as a light armor dex guy with a katana. Should I be trying to roll around them or parry them? I'm really poo poo at parrying.

Lothric Knights are legit nasty enemies so don't feel too bad getting your arsed kicked by them. You can either parry (which will be good practice for other enemies later on) or guard break them. Both types have moves for punishing rolls so you're probably gonna have a rough time trying that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Guard break the ones that don't have giant fuckoff shields. Backstab the ones that do. I find that parries in this game are rarely worth trying for because the window is just too tight.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

multijoe posted:

Lothric Knights are legit nasty enemies so don't feel too bad getting your arsed kicked by them. You can either parry (which will be good practice for other enemies later on) or guard break them. Both types have moves for punishing rolls so you're probably gonna have a rough time trying that.
you can also just gently caress off and run away from them

Nuebot posted:

Guard break the ones that don't have giant fuckoff shields. Backstab the ones that do. I find that parries in this game are rarely worth trying for because the window is just too tight.
In this game? You have more parry frames in ds3 than dark souls 1 if you are actually using what's good at it(small shields/fist weapons), and roughly the same as ds2(except less startup).

In actuality parries are stylish but not really worth doing compared to backstabs or normal attacks in PvE in any souls game imo, with a couple of bosses as standouts.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 16, 2017

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SKULL.GIF posted:

"Velka" in Finnish means "debt". Conclude what you will.

So Dark Souls is a political cartoon?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I have 200+ hours in this game and have beaten every boss solo on NG+ and still die to that Lothric Knight on the High Wall sometimes.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

your face looks uh

interesting

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Two hand your weapon at just go nuts on them while keeping an eye on your stamina. If they have a shield up in a few hits they'll be guard broken and you can do a critical on them. If not they'll just take a bunch of damage.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

2-hand your weapon and bait their attacks. When you see their weapon hand coming towards you, dodge into the attack and hit them while they're open, abuse your iframes. The spear guys are a little trickier but leave themselves open to backstabs.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

your face looks uh

interesting

Can't help the way I was born :(

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

hanales posted:

Can't help the way I was born :(

U wot face best face

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

swamp waste posted:

I like that the cat talks, but it seems like they went out of their way to make her sound vague and pretentious, like, even relative to other souls people.

That's because she's a cat and loving with you. :v:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

HaB posted:

U wot face best face

My mom and HaB love me

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
How is vordts hammer now that fostbite got buffed? It's too bad you can't infuse with fostbite because I love the look of the great mace.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Uncle w Benefits posted:

How is vordts hammer now that fostbite got buffed? It's too bad you can't infuse with fostbite because I love the look of the great mace.

It's frost rating is 110!!! Anything that is susceptible to frost it procs in 2 hits basically. Also highly effective in PvP if you are good with slower weapons.

The only annoying part is some camera angles get blocked by the hammer and the particle effects.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I miss the tiny soapstone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

I miss the tiny soapstone.

I never really understood the difference between it and the regular. I've been Co-Opping 2 with a friend and so far we've been able to do everything using the White soapstone, what difference does the tiny one make?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I never really understood the difference between it and the regular. I've been Co-Opping 2 with a friend and so far we've been able to do everything using the White soapstone, what difference does the tiny one make?

Small soapstone has a larger summoning range, gives you a different reward but has a short time limit. Can also be used even if the boss is dead IIRC.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The small white soapstone exists to give people an incentive to actually help you through the level, rather than putting their sign near the boss fog to just fight the boss. Since you get your reward and your humanity just from running out the short time limit it's a fast and easy way to unhollow and help someone out in the process.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
IIRC you also get all your spellcasts replenished after a successful bout of phantoming, so I remember using the small soapstone quite frequently on my pure caster builds.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

hanales posted:

My mom and HaB love me

A Pthumerian? Bloodborne crossover?!

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

There are, in fact, still motherfuckers who gotta ice skate up hill

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

A Pthumerian? Bloodborne crossover?!

The frown isn't deep enough to pull it off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hanales posted:

Can also be used even if the boss is dead IIRC.

I think the full stone still does this in 2. I helped my friend best Dragonrider, then I summoned him for the same boss.