Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

icantfindaname posted:

It's split into 3 parties, plus all the reasons the center-left is weak everywhere in the first world right now, decline of unions, etc etc. Plus the CDU is a pragmatic ruling party that to a large extent is willing to just occupy the center-left if the SPD moves further to the left. Similar to Japan in a lot of ways actually, except people don't jump to racist/orientalist "well that's how Asian peoples' brains work" to explain it
Yeah, both the Germans and the Japanese are a hive culture.

e: GC is a good example of this, constantly identifying with authoritarian-collectivist ants.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, both the Germans and the Japanese are a hive culture.

Fair enough, as long as our Teutonic friends are equally implicated

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You should just get it online, it'll save you time. That said I do recollect once just flashing my student card to get in w/out any ticket, but I think I'm wrong about that. I don't know if an online ticket is tough for you but I doubt you'll have to print it, having it on your phone should be good enough.

thanks, my phone is kinda poo poo but i'll improvise

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

unpacked robinhood posted:

Have your machetes in separate transparent ziploc bags for easier inspection tia

it's not this kind of date

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So anybody know why rent control has been successful in Germany? Or is it really not?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

punk rebel ecks posted:

So anybody know why rent control has been successful in Germany? Or is it really not?
The TL,DR seems to be that Germany has a fairly well-organised planning system that does a better job than most of ensuring that new house building proceeds at a rate that broadly matches increasing demand due to population growth and demographic change. Because supply keeps up with demand, you don't have the kinds of pressures that create black markets and secondary tenancies in the (rent controlled) Swedish housing market, or upward-spiralling rents and house prices in the (much more liberal) UK market.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

The TL,DR seems to be that Germany has a fairly well-organised planning system that does a better job than most of ensuring that new house building proceeds at a rate that broadly matches increasing demand due to population growth and demographic change. Because supply keeps up with demand, you don't have the kinds of pressures that create black markets and secondary tenancies in the (rent controlled) Swedish housing market, or upward-spiralling rents and house prices in the (much more liberal) UK market.

So rent control work as long as housing keeps getting built?

Personally I always wanted to have the government focus on building as much housing as much as required in order to keep costs down.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

LemonDrizzle posted:

also germany has a shrinking population so it doesn't actually need to build any new housing

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Various studies say germany has need for 1.5 million Apartments in the next years to 2020. Profiteurs of housing shortages
Most of the new appartmennts ar built against the need so they build much 1 room appartment and need is for more 3 and more room Appartements for familys.In rural areas, Villages is the need not so high as in citys. Problems are too, to get a Apartmen if you have kids, low income or not german. 2019 the Bund no longer supports the countries to build sozial living space. That will have an big impact for manny familys specialy young and with low income, are victims of this politic.
An intrresting text to read is this and this (sorry both in german)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The government should tie housing unit building to YoY population growth.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

The government should tie housing unit building to YoY population growth.

That would require the state taking an active responsibility for basic human necessities which is not how the market fundamentalists of most of Europe's centre-left parties want to do things. It's the market or nothing.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The only problem with regards to housing in Germany is that there are certain physical limitations to how many houses can be built upon a set amount of land, especially if you have limitations on building height. This leads to the situation where certain, rather small, areas have a very competitive housing situation, which the market obviously would solve by giving housing to the people who can afford it the most. For some reason the left is very unhappy with this situation, because they believe that the luxury of having living in such a neighborhood is a basic need and not a luxury and therefore they invented the very idiotic "Mietpreisbremse".

Maybe next they can invent a "Autopreisbremse" for the people that really would like to drive a classic Porsche 911 but can't afford it.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/Wahlrecht_de/status/864351577280200704

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

GaussianCopula posted:

The only problem with regards to housing in Germany is that there are certain physical limitations to how many houses can be built upon a set amount of land, especially if you have limitations on building height. This leads to the situation where certain, rather small, areas have a very competitive housing situation, which the market obviously would solve by giving housing to the people who can afford it the most. For some reason the left is very unhappy with this situation, because they believe that the luxury of having living in such a neighborhood is a basic need and not a luxury and therefore they invented the very idiotic "Mietpreisbremse".

Maybe next they can invent a "Autopreisbremse" for the people that really would like to drive a classic Porsche 911 but can't afford it.

Would you argue that Germany needs to expand in order to guarantee living space to its citizens?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Would you argue that Germany needs to expand in order to guarantee living space to its citizens?

No - It would probably be more beneficial to reduce the size of Germany by a factor of 5-10

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Also, if you're interested in a comparison of the British and German housing markets, here's one from the IPPR, a centre-left British think tank. The executive summary is:

quote:

Germany has higher rates of housebuilding, a much less volatile housing market, and a larger private rented sector than the UK. This paper, the first of three, explores the reasons for these differences, looking at both supply- and demand-side dimensions.

On the supply side: Germany has a more diverse mix of housebuilders, both small and large, who build a wide variety of homes; a broader mix of investors, including build-to-rent; and a planning system that facilitates the release of land and the translation of permissions into completions.
On the demand side: Germany has a more conservative mortgage market with greater restrictions on loan-to-value ratios; a tax system that favours long-term property ownership while discouraging speculation; and a combination of longer tenancies and more rent control, which together make private renting an attractive alternative to home ownership.
Despite the many strong features of Germany’s housing market and wider policy framework, there remain areas in which policymakers in the UK can learn from Germany’s missteps.

While Germany has managed to deliver more affordable homes in the last three decades, its model for delivering them, through the equivalent 20–30-year covenants, has led to a sharp drop in the availability of affordable rented homes.
In addition, the private rented sector in Germany can be difficult to access, with lengthy property-search and application procedures, making entry difficult for prospective tenants and impacting on labour market flexibility. While the UK rental market may be too flexible, to the disadvantage of tenants, a full shift towards a German model could be problematic.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

No - It would probably be more beneficial to reduce the size of Germany by a factor of 5-10

Finally, a GC post everyone can agree with!

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39930986

quote:

Negotiations to form the next Dutch government have collapsed as the four parties involved were unable to decide what to do about migration.
Prime Minister Mark Rutte's centre-right VVD party had sought to strike a deal with the liberal D66, the Christian Democrats and the Green-Left.
The talks had been ongoing for 61 days since an election in March.
The Green-Left support open borders, while the other three want stricter controls.
The minister who had been tasked with forming the new government will submit a report to parliament before the members discuss how to proceed.
Geert Wilders, the leader of the anti-EU, anti-Islam Freedom Party, welcomed the news, saying he was ready to talk.
His party came second in the polls.
In 2012 it took 54 days for two parties to form a government in the Netherlands, the sixth-biggest economy in the EU.
So what happens if no agreement can be struck? Does the VVD/D66/CDA hydra draw in the battered remnants of PvdA to secure a narrow majority?

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39930986

So what happens if no agreement can be struck? Does the VVD/D66/CDA hydra draw in the battered remnants of PvdA to secure a narrow majority?

The most likely option is that they will first try to negotiate with the Christian Union party, which is a soft left party in terms of economics, good on climate and refugees, but socially conservative. It would however be difficult to reconcile their positions in the social field with D66. They might seem a plausible fit for the CDA too, as the CDA used to be a Christian party too (at least theoretically ) but it has reinvented themselves to become more rightwing than the VVD so it wouldn't be a great combination. Also, a coalition with the CU would have a majority of only a single seat in parliament so it would be unstable.

Working together with the PvdA is not really likely since the PvdA would likely have to go along with more rightwing policies, and that didn't work out well for them last time.

Final option would be the formation of a minority cabinet seeking majority support on a case-by-case basis, but I can't imagine that lasting too long since it requires too much trust between the parties.

However, it is still possible that VVD/CDA/D66 try other options first but then come back to Green-Left anyway; it would not be the first time something like that happened.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
kind of funny to see all the right wing politicians doing damage control about the new prime minister being from their party

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
https://twitter.com/YanniKouts/status/864396645076787200

And people are talking about a Eurozone budget ...

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Pluskut Tukker posted:

The most likely option is that they will first try to negotiate with the Christian Union party, which is a soft left party in terms of economics, good on climate and refugees, but socially conservative. It would however be difficult to reconcile their positions in the social field with D66. They might seem a plausible fit for the CDA too, as the CDA used to be a Christian party too (at least theoretically ) but it has reinvented themselves to become more rightwing than the VVD so it wouldn't be a great combination. Also, a coalition with the CU would have a majority of only a single seat in parliament so it would be unstable.

Working together with the PvdA is not really likely since the PvdA would likely have to go along with more rightwing policies, and that didn't work out well for them last time.

Final option would be the formation of a minority cabinet seeking majority support on a case-by-case basis, but I can't imagine that lasting too long since it requires too much trust between the parties.

However, it is still possible that VVD/CDA/D66 try other options first but then come back to Green-Left anyway; it would not be the first time something like that happened.
Limburgs Dagblad listed CDA+D66+GL+PvdA+SP+CU as an 80 seat option. That would be a sight to behold.

But since we live in the Bad Timeline, I wouldn't be surprised to have Rutte renege on his promise to keep Wilders out and end up with a hell coalition of VVD+PVV+CDA+some lovely fundamentalist or fascist minor party.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

Limburgs Dagblad listed CDA+D66+GL+PvdA+SP+CU as an 80 seat option. That would be a sight to behold.

But since we live in the Bad Timeline, I wouldn't be surprised to have Rutte renege on his promise to keep Wilders out and end up with a hell coalition of VVD+PVV+CDA+some lovely fundamentalist or fascist minor party.

A nightmare coalition of those parties with the SGP and FvD is possible, covering both the lovely, the fundamentalist, and the fascist part. This thought is now ruining my day. Build your own coalition here (click "maak je eigen coalitie" for those who aren't Dutch)).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pluskut Tukker posted:

A nightmare coalition of those parties with the SGP and FvD is possible, covering both the lovely, the fundamentalist, and the fascist part. This thought is now ruining my day. Build your own coalition here (click "maak je eigen coalitie" for those who aren't Dutch)).

dutch for women is vrouwen? lol

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

?

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

vrouw, vrouwen, vrouwtje, vrouwtjes. hope this helps you giggle through the day.

E:

Pluskut Tukker posted:

A nightmare coalition of those parties with the SGP and FvD is possible, covering both the lovely, the fundamentalist, and the fascist part. This thought is now ruining my day.
Maybe someone will Pim Fortuyn Thierry Baudet. Volkert van der Graaff is out of jail again isn't he?

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 16, 2017

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

quote not edit

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Sounds like the sound a car makes

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Hambilderberglar posted:

vrouw, vrouwen, vrouwtje, vrouwtjes. hope this helps you giggle through the day.

E:

Maybe someone will Pim Fortuyn Thierry Baudet. Volkert van der Graaff is out of jail again isn't he?

Let's not call for murder in this thread. Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that the self-described 'most important intellectual' in the Netherlands would be entirely too pleased with being thought to be equally dangerous as Fortuyn, so let's not give him the satisfaction either.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

yeah, i am a child

vroom vroom

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

It doesn't, the vowel for a car sound is "oe", as in vroem vroem. The ou sounds completely different. In fact it sounds the same as au or the ou in ouch in English. I hope this explanation has left you confused.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Let's not call for murder in this thread. Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that the self-described 'most important intellectual' in the Netherlands would be entirely too pleased with being thought to be equally dangerous as Fortuyn, so let's not give him the satisfaction either.

If there truly is a desire for Thierry Baudet to die, we should hold a national referendum about it. He'd be totally on board.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Kurtofan posted:

yeah, i am a child

vroom vroom

They are not pronounced even remotely the same :eng99:

'Vr' from 'vroom' yes, but 'ouw' is like 'auw' when you get hurt.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

quote:

They could, theoretically, leave the EU, but the consequences would be so dire that even the most incompetent fool would not dare to do it.

Have you not been paying attention in 2016?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

It doesn't, the vowel for a car sound is "oe", as in vroem vroem. The ou sounds completely different. In fact it sounds the same as au or the ou in ouch in English. I hope this explanation has left you confused.

Vrouw is just a weird misspelling of "Frau", which doesn't sound like vroom vroooooom at all. easy peasy

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Well I'm not calling for it per se, I just also wouldn't be particularly sad about him being run over by a nearly-blind pensioner in a Canta if ole Volkert isn't available to do the needful. Besides, I've so missed all the "de kogel kwam van links!!!!" memes of my teenage years.
I take your point about his smug self-satisfaction however.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Baudet definitely features on the long, long list of "people we'd all be better off if they up and died today". Alas, we can but hope.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Namarrgon posted:

Have you not been paying attention in 2016?

Again, there is a significant difference between the UK, who are not a part of the Eurozone and have a relatively strong economy and a country like Greece or Portugal, whose economy is significantly weaker (they are net recipients of EU money) and who are part of the Euro. There is a reason that Tsipras and his merry band of communists bend the knee in front of the market Gods instead of Grexit.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Hambilderberglar posted:

Well I'm not calling for it per se, I just also wouldn't be particularly sad about him being run over by a nearly-blind pensioner in a Canta if ole Volkert isn't available to do the needful. Besides, I've so missed all the "de kogel kwam van links!!!!" memes of my teenage years.

True that, I suppose we could use some new memes about the Baudet-rocket ending like the Challenger.
For those wondering what this is about by the way, one picture should suffice:

edit: also:

Pluskut Tukker fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Pluskut Tukker posted:

True that, I suppose we could use some new memes about the Baudet-rocket ending like the Challenger.
I had to google baudet raket and ended up on r/de_thierry. I'm done with the internet for today.