Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Doc Morbid posted:

I saw someone on Twitter mention they had to leave the room because of Futaba saying "kek" out loud. Did... did they miss the whole rest of that scene, which consists entirely of Futaba dunking on Mishima for being the kind of dweeb who goes around saying poo poo like "kek" to people? :psyduck:

Futuba has a lot of game/anime refs in her speech during her SL/events which reinforce her weirdo personality. I think she gets better later on but if this bothers other people you might want to skip her SL but she is my sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think the twitter person may have been making what some like to call "a joke"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm pretty sure i'd never even seen the word kek before that scene.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Noob.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

See, that one I know.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SyntheticPolygon posted:

turn in your anime avatar, you're done.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's from World of Warcraft. The game uses a two-faction system, and to encourage hostility prevents them from communicating in-game. It uses a letter replacement filter to garble what they say. So from an Alliance player's perspective, whenever a Horde player says "lol" it becomes "kek", so eventually kek itself became slang for lol.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 16, 2017

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

it got ran into the ground over the years and is now associated with the alt right much like our fallen friend pepe the frog

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Motto posted:

I think the twitter person may have been making what some like to call "a joke"
It's possible. The conversation was about Futaba being the worst because she uses gaming terms in her speech, so who knows.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

turn in your anime avatar, you're done.

Someone gave me this avatar, I know I don't deserve it.

Clarste posted:

It's from World of Warcraft. The game uses a two-faction system, and to encourage hostility prevents them from communicating in-game. It uses a letter replacement filter to garble what they say. So from an Alliance player's perspective, whenever a Horde player says "lol" it become "kek", so eventually kek itself became slang for lol.

Oh. That's not anime at all.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the best part is that mishima just drops kek when he meets a nerdy girl for the first time. like "oh man, let me drop my -chan speak on this girl i think even i can impress" and then futaba just lays him flat

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Mika is bad because she glamorizes and embraces an inherently exploitive and dehumanizing industry. The idea that the problem with the modeling world is the models not taking their job seriously enough rather than them being held to inhuman standards is laughable at best and dangerous at worst. Rather than realizing this and fighting back against her oppressors Mika instead internalizes the misogyny that surrounds her and lashes out at and manipulates her female coworkers while starving herself in a futile attempt to maintain a beauty standard that, in the long run, is unsustainable.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: I want a forty year old Mika to be the tower social link in Persona 6 and for you to help her move on and stop clinging to her lost youth. I have seen her future and, without help, it is not a pretty one.
i mean, like, yeah? but also maybe people should take the hatred of mika and put it towards the industry she's warped by rather than tearing down a fictional woman working her hardest to get ahead in a world where she's already at a disadvantage and in workplace where if she slows down, she's dead. tutting your fingers at her and saying oh, she's going to have a terrible life doesn't do much and at that point you're just attacking another woman

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
What version of the game is this where all the text is in English, but it uses the Japanese abbreviations for the elements instead of the icons?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Futaba tear down is weird as it's not like she is much better.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Futaba tear down is weird as it's not like she is much better.

Her first time meeting someone with similar hobbies as her she doesn't immediately flirt with them by dropping some sick chat speak, so she is way way better.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Futaba's teardown of Mishima is that he's completely forgettable and uninteresting.

They have similar interests, but Futaba has character, a personality, and a will of her own where she won't do things she doesn't want to do.

also she's smart and has things she's good at and interested in

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

it got ran into the ground over the years and is now associated with the alt right much like our fallen friend pepe the frog

What hasn't been ruined by the internet yet?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Futaba's teardown of Mishima is that he's completely forgettable and uninteresting.

They have similar interests, but Futaba has character, a personality, and a will of her own where she won't do things she doesn't want to do.

also she's smart and has things she's good at and interested in

In a game full of good and cool characters how did Mishima end up like he did?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Her first time meeting someone with similar hobbies as her she doesn't immediately flirt with them by dropping some sick chat speak, so she is way way better.

We can't assume that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

We can't assume that.

She interacts with Joker, Yusuke and Ryuji all normally while Mishima does not get a single scene after the intro where he is not just the most pathetic individual in regards to the opposite sex.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Futaba is only attracted to Yusuke and she negs him hard.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Moltrey posted:

futaba also had people magically playing around in her head and a dedicated support group of friends literally show up at her doorstep to uplift her from her issues, while mishima had a lifelong string of bullying and literal abuse thrown his way and the most he got was joker talking to his shadow for a couple minutes before proceeding to act like a huge rear end in a top hat to him in every dialogue choice

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

darealkooky posted:

futaba also had people magically playing around in her head and a dedicated support group of friends literally show up at her doorstep to uplift her from her issues, while mishima had a lifelong string of bullying and literal abuse thrown his way and the most he got was joker talking to his shadow for a couple minutes before proceeding to act like a huge rear end in a top hat to him in every dialogue choice

This is all true but it still leads to the same conclusion that Mishima is a really poorly written character.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
like it's a lot easier for futaba to avoid doing things she doesn't want to do when she never leaves her house or has any sort of responsibilities or ties to other humans besides sojiro, the guy who just sort of leaves food at her door every now and then

comparing that with mishima, someone who is a step above futaba so to speak and thus would be able to be pressured into doing lovely stuff he doesn't care for because he wants school friends or for kamoshida to not ruin his life, is rly unfair

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

This is all true but it still leads to the same conclusion that Mishima is a really poorly written character.

I actually like Mishima as he has flaws and has to overcome them, which most of the cast don't.

They have bad situations but not any real flaws as people.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

I actually like Mishima as he has flaws and has to overcome them, which most of the cast don't.

Akechi has flaws but is ignored by devs after his final battle.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Alder posted:

Akechi has flaws but is ignored by devs after his final battle.

Well I mean Akechi only gets one plot dump for most of his actual character so he isn't the most fleshed out character anyway.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Moltrey posted:

i mean, like, yeah? but also maybe people should take the hatred of mika and put it towards the industry she's warped by rather than tearing down a fictional woman working her hardest to get ahead in a world where she's already at a disadvantage and in workplace where if she slows down, she's dead. tutting your fingers at her and saying oh, she's going to have a terrible life doesn't do much and at that point you're just attacking another woman

I think I might have worded that wrong: I meant to say is "I feel bad for Mika, I wish she was a social link because she seems like she could be an interesting character to develop." Her having a terrible life if she continues doing what she's doing isn't a just punishment, it's tragic.

Edit: like, her as an individual isn't the problem the problem is that the industry she's working so hard in is inherently flawed in serious ways and it bothers me that that isn't addressed in game? Basically I have the same problem with Ann's social link in Persona 5 that I had with Rise's in Persona 4: there's both about encouraging young girls to get involved with exploitive industries.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 16, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Mishima's has a real rough time, but also the gang tries to get Futaba to the beach at first and she's just "Oh absolutely not, I am not doing that" until she can work up to it. And she's willing to try to get there too.

I like how his S. Link wraps up, but Mishima doesn't talk about a single thing to you other than the Phantom Thieves and I do not want to spend time with him, because I find him deathly uninteresting

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
mishima, what was the last book you read? what kind of music do you like? where would you like to live when you grow up? what do you look for in a friend? does death scare you? do you like hummus? do you like boxers or briefs? would you ever get a piercing? what's your relationship with your father like? ever had any pets? please mishima, talk about anything at all other than the phantom thieves i beg of you

i know that's the point of his character, that he looks to others for fulfillment, and ties himself to the Phantom Thieves for his own validation, but man it's boring!!!

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Moltrey posted:

mishima, what was the last book you read? what kind of music do you like? where would you like to live when you grow up? what do you look for in a friend? does death scare you? do you like hummus? do you like boxers or briefs? would you ever get a piercing? what's your relationship with your father like? ever had any pets? please mishima, talk about anything at all other than the phantom thieves i beg of you

Mishima is a product of horrific abuse, both at school and home, and had most of that literally beaten out of him.

Remember, his parents knew he was bad at volleyball and that he was getting beaten to poo poo on the team and told him he had to keep doing it because they're awful people.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Mishima's flaws are interesting but the interesting aspects of them only show up like rank 7 of his confidant and he gets a fair amount of screentime in main plot where he is just the most pathetic and sycophantic dude. As a character he's designed to be sorta pathetic so you can dunk on him without remorse but because of this the writer's don't actually have him be likeable or interesting in the vast majority of his scenes. Mishima the guy who has convinced himself he is an essential member of the Thieves and is using their reputation to feel better about himself and gain self-worth from it is legitimately cool and interesting, too bad he only exists for 3 ranks of a confidant that is just really lame for most of it and is completely ignored in plot.

Ryuji's a better example of a character with "a flaw" that exists and is important to their character, so the writer's can definitely make a character like that and have them work but they really didn't bring their A game with Mishima.

darealkooky posted:

like it's a lot easier for futaba to avoid doing things she doesn't want to do when she never leaves her house or has any sort of responsibilities or ties to other humans besides sojiro, the guy who just sort of leaves food at her door every now and then

comparing that with mishima, someone who is a step above futaba so to speak and thus would be able to be pressured into doing lovely stuff he doesn't care for because he wants school friends or for kamoshida to not ruin his life, is rly unfair

I don't mean that he's poorly written because he's pathetic and does creepy or sorta lovely stuff, it's that the things about that which are actually interesting only come up in late scenes of his confidant. And the vast majority of his scenes are him just being absurdly pathetic and not-likeable so the player will be cool with dunking on him and that doesn't make for a good character.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I mean Akechi only gets one plot dump for most of his actual character so he isn't the most fleshed out character anyway.

I'm disappointed how they handled his characterization and I have hope the remake fixes it. They could've hammered in a alternate universe Joker parallel instead he then went crazy using his berserk then saved your friends.

Mishima could have a dull outside life except PT and his site. He doesn't seem to have HS friends and hangouts in the seedy parts of town at night. Also, when did he suffer abuse at his home life? We don't know anything about his family.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
A neat thing I found while looking into our friend Yuuki Mishima, is that some believe he's a reference to author Yukio Mishima, who wrote a famous book, Confessions of a Mask. A book about an awkward, weak boy struggling to fit into Japanese society while discovering he's gay. I bring this up because the author almost has the exact same name as Mishima, the story is quite similar to Mishima's and the book has the word Mask in the title

Zore posted:

Mishima is a product of horrific abuse, both at school and home, and had most of that literally beaten out of him.

Remember, his parents knew he was bad at volleyball and that he was getting beaten to poo poo on the team and told him he had to keep doing it because they're awful people.
i truly do not remember that his parents did this and that's rough buddy

this got me tho

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, Mishima basically doesn't try to commit suicide at the beginning of the game because Shiho beats him to the punch. And also he wasn't sexually assaulted by Kamoshida, just beaten, blackmailed and emotionally abused.

Not that he's a great or fun person to hang around with, but there are some pretty good reasons he's as hosed up as he is.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I wish Mishima was allowed to be portrayed as messed up and troubled in more of his scenes rather than as just the biggest loser imaginable.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I think the avenue of "I knew this girl was getting abused, I was the one telling her to go to her abuser and yet I neither did or said anything, I feel absolutely monstrous because of it" would be an interesting look at that character, but that's perhaps too dark, and I dunno how'd you'd resolve it in 10 small scenes, because oofa doofa that's loaded.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I think I might have worded that wrong: I meant to say is "I feel bad for Mika, I wish she was a social link because she seems like she could be an interesting character to develop." Her having a terrible life if she continues doing what she's doing isn't a just punishment, it's tragic.

Edit: like, her as an individual isn't the problem the problem is that the industry she's working so hard in is inherently flawed in serious ways and it bothers me that that isn't addressed in game? Basically I have the same problem with Ann's social link in Persona 5 that I had with Rise's in Persona 4: there's both about encouraging young girls to get involved with exploitive industries.
Yeah I get this. I feel P5 doesn't try to lean into Modeling Is Good angle as much as P4 did for the idol industry so overall I'm kind of okay with the end result with Ann deciding to take things seriously in her life and try and feed off Mika's passion rather than Rise going back to being an idol because little kids look up to her

and then right after Dancing All Night starts with an idol killing herself

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I wish Mishima was allowed to be portrayed as messed up and troubled in more of his scenes rather than as just the biggest loser imaginable.

His diner scene and a lot of the trips make him out as disturbing in more ways than no t. I wanted a choice to tell him to seek medical attention about his self-destructiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Every goon is obligated to make this

e: though now that I think about it, One Shot Kill, which Mara starts with, is more appropriate than God Hand imo

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 16, 2017

• Locked thread