Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

These guys never fail to crack me up.

Tonight, on I dream of SC:

The background economy is so detailed that you could blockade a station, and as the siege becomes prolonged the procedural generator will actually begin to change what meals are available in the cafeteria, as rationing takes ahold. This also gives more profit opportunities for smugglers and black marketeers who can supply the beseiged station with the supplies it needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
What the hell is a golden ticket holder?

I like one comment that writes

quote:

This is what happens when you become more emotionally invested in the whole ship buying meta than the actual game itself

And ideally they'd be right. Except CIG's sole focus was and arguably still is the marketing (with ship sales and concept ships) and milking of backers without any serious thought (or progress) about the final game.

There is no game, and being "emotionally invested in SC" at this point means being delirious, dreaming up features that you (must) know won't ever appear in the game.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

no_recall posted:

Sure.

e: by Ryan Archer.

Not a Hot Dog

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

no_recall posted:

Sure.

e: by Ryan Archer.

That's not procedurally generated you silly goon cuntifas!

Sometimes there is also very sad stuff in that subreddit:

And now that :pgabz: is not posting videos anymore they have nobody to give them some views. Think of these poor people your :argh: cat.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This won't quite be ready for 3.0, though, but hopefully we'll see it in 3.1

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Mu77ley posted:

You can also tell he's a complete amateur because he takes his hands off the keyboard and uses the mouse to select something...

Oh, you are one of those people... :getout:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

thatguy posted:

Really though, how do you gently caress up playing audio files?

Let Chris code his own rather than use existing drop-in code.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Hello janssendalt I know you're reading this

I'm happy to hear you came to your senses and that your final drop fell before the bank run

o7

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

CIG has $150 million, maybe they should hire someone to direct their marketing so they wouldn't be dependent on advice from their customers on how run their business.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
BTW, did everyone forget about the scanning mechanics? We've never heard anything about it again other than "of course the final implementation won't be a golfswing, that would be stupid" and then crickets and tumbleweeds. What was it? A year ago? Surely it's finished and will be included in 3.0. It's still coming next month, right?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I had this question around last year's GamesCom, but maybe it was too early for a proper answer.

Has any third party played the early secret 3.0 demo, or had a hands-on with the other one with the glitchy sandworm, even if it had been with someone from CIG present in the same room controlling and explaining what the player can and can't do?

Isn't it typical for playable demos (even if they don't represent the final state) to, you know, be actually played by others ("gaming press" people usually) rather than only by the thumb-person that clearly faked playing them on stage?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

AbstractNapper posted:

I had this question around last year's GamesCom, but maybe it was too early for a proper answer.

Has any third party played the early secret 3.0 demo, or had a hands-on with the other one with the glitchy sandworm, even if it had been with someone from CIG present in the same room controlling and explaining what the player can and can't do?

Isn't it typical for playable demos (even if they don't represent the final state) to, you know, be actually played by others ("gaming press" people usually) rather than only by the thumb-person that clearly faked playing them on stage?

Ben Lesnick, Developer, has played the game start to finish and unlocked all the sex scenes.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I literally cried when I play tested SQ42. I know a lot of it has changed since then, but it is still an experience that I will have with me for the rest of my life.

3.0 made me poo poo my pants. In a good way.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I bet Croberts still has a soundblaster 16 card

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE
It would be interesting if someone with more patience and time on their hands took the standard "long game development time graph" and mapped out the first point the gaming press were shown or played the game, to compare to this travesty of a AAAA game we haven't even seen a trailer for.

Or even when the first vertical slice was shown of a few of the long running ones.

Although vertical slice to me is a kind of cake, now I'm hungry.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

phosdex posted:

Not a Hot Dog

oobie
tar itize

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

mrchinchin25 posted:

It would be interesting if someone with more patience and time on their hands took the standard "long game development time graph" and mapped out the first point the gaming press were shown or played the game, to compare to this travesty of a AAAA game we haven't even seen a trailer for.

Or even when the first vertical slice was shown of a few of the long running ones.

Although vertical slice to me is a kind of cake, now I'm hungry.

I'll get right on that, oh and then I'll get on reddit to hear which fallacy Mothman's wikipedia'd and wishes to accuse me of, and why I might just read every issue of Jump Point after that, just to make sure I don't drown in that 'will to live' thing

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jonny Nox posted:

Game was supposed to support ASIO drivers at one point for

Reasons.

Lag.

Seriously. They were worried that the normal API was going to add tens of milliseconds of lag to Star Marine and this wouldn't make it viable for esports.

Reminder that the 'physics' model has a top speed.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

It's still coming next month, right?

Next month-ish, Commando.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
jassen is one of the original spergs. It will be exciting to see how his refund goes.

In One Ear
Apr 25, 2017

thatguy posted:

jassen is one of the original spergs. It will be exciting to see how his refund goes.

CIG seem to just be pushing them through as usual, based on recent convos I've had with friends who exited.

Wasn't much of a hassle, but they weren't as deep as Jassen

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
:master:

Reminds me of this beauty.

quote:

It's a lot of fun to read these forums and see people crack. For some it's almost instantaneous, some people takes weeks or months, and some people can hang on for years. However, there comes a time when they simply run out of patience. The voices in their head start telling them, "You've waiting long enough...It's past the time when you should have gotten what you're entitled to."

For what seems like a long time they've ignored them. They'd pushed back saying, "No, it's Alpha. No, the are working on the back-end processes. No, games take a very long time to build. No, CiG is innovating and bringing something completely new to the table." However, these self-reassurances lose their potency, and the negative voices start becoming stronger and stronger.

Finally it's too much. The click the "New Discussion" they post the words the voices are telling them. While they are typing they think they have figured it out. They think, "Now that I'm no longer blinded by hope, I've got to tell the rest of the forum to abandon theirs." They think they finally have the timing and the message that the forum has been ignoring for all this time.

And then this is what we get. A pathetic cry for help by someone who's patience has finally run out. Someone who has lost their 'vision.' "It's taken too long." they shout, "We have no progress." "I should already be playing the game."

The stoic just watch, sadly, as they see one of their ranks fall. They make some feeble attempts to reclaim their lost brother, but they know it's futile. Soon they turn back to their vigil. They keep their eyes locked on the goal that seems distant, but HAS to be inching ever closer. They trod the daily content with their feet hoping to squeeze out evidence of progress and glimmers of what's to come.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Can't wait to get my refund as an original golden ticket backer...

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The caption for this should surely be something like "As you can see, the hostages are alive and well. How long this remains true depends on how... reasonable you are prepared to be."

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

notoriousman posted:

oobie
tar itize

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

notoriousman posted:

oobie
tar itize

I can't laugh about 0 REMAINING now the Doghouse is gone IRL :cry:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

"after hours"

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Uncle Derek forgives your sins. Refund in peace, citizen

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Yeah I just quad posted pure white noise :whatup:

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&userid=214917

:cawg:

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Also the one that went like:

...and we'll look down and whisper, "no".

e: Catte doxxe

Mr Fronts fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 16, 2017

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

lol

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Berious posted:

Yeah I just quad posted pure white noise :whatup:

Always never not be not posting.

chochmah
Sep 27, 2015

tak posted:

Neither of those use uninitialized variables though. The first one initializes them twice

Winter Stormer posted:

Tell me more.

Edit: If you mean that neither one attempts to read uninitialized variables, then yeah, okay.

For clarification I'm talking about C/C++ not C# etc.

Check: http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/default_initialization

quote:

The effects of default initialization [of an object type T] are:
  • if T is a non-POD (until C++11) class type, the constructors are considered and subjected to overload resolution against the empty argument list. The constructor selected (which is one of the default constructors) is called to provide the initial value for the new object;
  • if T is an array type, every element of the array is default-initialized;
  • otherwise, nothing is done: the objects with automatic storage duration (and their subobjects) are initialized to indeterminate values.
Can also be found in http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2013/n3690.pdf

Edit: I verified that with the debugger and had a look at the assembly so I'm reasonably certain (VC++).

chochmah fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 16, 2017

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

The Titanic posted:

This guy knows how to write a bug report CIG will take care of asap! Expect at least 4 paragraphs about this fix in the next 30gb patch.

Also probably a YouTube video with green screen developers "investigating" this huge bug for like 12 weeks. It's gonna delay 3.0 and bump some expected features, but it's worth it. :homebrew:

Sample rate issues aren't so simple. It took CIG ~21 months to make the launcher stop crashing if your computer was set to 192kHz.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

DerekOSC unshadowbanned: https://www.reddit.com/user/OldSchoolCmdr

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

What a twist!

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

Reading this led to what I think is the funniest post in the SA Star Citizen threads since I've been reading. This led to MONTHS of LOLs:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=67&perpage=40#post451999402

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I recognised the name, but not why I knew it. lmbo