Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Maneki Neko posted:

Also that achievement seems buggy, it popped for me before I found everyone. Same with the audio log one.
They aren't buggy, the description's just misleading, they pop at I think 95% completion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Patch just came out for PS4 that fixes the input lag, along with all the bugfixes and stuff that was in the PC patch. Game feels so much better now(hacking isn't very hard anymore!).

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
This game is so fuckin good holy poo poo

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Just don't go to the Cargo Bay through the GUTS, find another way in if you have access to one. There's an antechamber in the microgravity area that is closed from the GUTS side so you can't get in that way until much later in the game.

Huh? I got in through the GUTS just fine. Just go through the door labeled cargo bay from the GUTS, take the small path to that leads to the maintenance hatch that lets you into the small chamber with micro gravity then right under that is a transition window into the cargo bay itself. From there you can go to life support and the power plant before you ever reach the arbaritum.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Anyway, the entire game is a metaphor for Steam, right? Gabe "Alex" Newell plays with fire and gets his "space station" infected with awful games?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I find myself wishing I could use my leverage III to tear apart bulkheads for more scrap to feed into the recycler to churn out more ammo.

Not that I'm currently short on bullets (I sure was a while back though). I probably have more ammo than what I used to carry in Far Cry 2.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I found that if you're not having trouble healing in combat, the processed food gives you lots of material in the long run and just keep the food that only gives organic stuff for healing.

Prey encouraging a healthy lifestyle by not eating junk food and turning it into ammo

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Derek Yu and his brother Gabe Newell

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You also get a lot of resources melting down all those EMP grenades, nullifiers and psi kits you don't really need.

Because those are perfectly good bullets just sitting there :clint:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Just lol if you are making bullets instead of making MORE NEUROMODS.

Why shoot the alien when you can leap 12 feet into the air and smack them do death with a wrench or a mindbullet or whatever.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Lakbay posted:

Prey encouraging a healthy lifestyle by not eating junk food and turning it into ammo

Why make bullets out of food, when you can put it in a refrigerator and toss it at enemies?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Do spare parts recycle into synthetic material? If so then theoretically Dismantle would be a pretty great skill for ammo/neuromod fabrication. Especially during the endgame with all those operators flying around

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Yes, I think they only recycle into synthetic material iirc

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Jack Trades posted:

Just lol if you are making bullets instead of making MORE NEUROMODS.

Why shoot the alien when you can leap 12 feet into the air and smack them do death with a wrench or a mindbullet or whatever.
I'm doing a no-Typhon powers run now (does the bullet time power count as psychic?). There are many times I was awfully tempted to make some bullets instead of a neuromod because I had no psi powers to fall back on. Psi points are easy to come by, especially after you get the scope chipset that lets you draw power from coral from Dr Ingwe. Bullets are harder to come by, and you have to scrap a lot of useful things to get the metal to make your own bullets.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Why does Dr Ingwe think we need Dahl to get off the station when they can just use the escape pods? They're not broken, just disabled. Alex's pod works.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kurzon posted:

I'm doing a no-Typhon powers run now (does the bullet time power count as psychic?). There are many times I was awfully tempted to make some bullets instead of a neuromod because I had no psi powers to fall back on. Psi points are easy to come by, especially after you get the scope chipset that lets you draw power from coral from Dr Ingwe. Bullets are harder to come by, and you have to scrap a lot of useful things to get the metal to make your own bullets.

The key to conserving bullets on a Human-only run is the Sneak Attack Modifier + Combat Focus.
One surprise point-blank shot with a shotgun plus one smack with a wrench will kill any phantom (on Hard at least) before they even realize what's happening.

Also Leverage skill.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Lakbay posted:

Yes, I think they only recycle into synthetic material iirc

No, they recycle into mineral and synthetic. Spare parts was one of my main sources of mineral probably.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Palpek posted:

Do spare parts recycle into synthetic material? If so then theoretically Dismantle would be a pretty great skill for ammo/neuromod fabrication. Especially during the endgame with all those operators flying around

When I had dismantle on (assuming it unlocks the extra loot for robots) it gave me a ton spare repair kits to the point I was recycling my stacks in half for extra materials.

Also, don't drink the canned beverages. (The cans get a small amount of mineral material for bullets)

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Malek posted:

Also, don't drink the canned beverages. (The cans get a small amount of mineral material for bullets)
Where do the empty cans go?
Does Morgan eat them?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Just about to download this, should I just turn off the pre-order items right away?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Not really, they don't make much of a difference except that the shotgun looks cooler than the default one (and you can get the default one eariler in the same area if you poke around).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
You do get 3? free neuromods too though, which isn't that big of a deal in the whole game but quite the boost at the beginning.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The pre-order shotgun goes well with the golden pistol :whatup:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The preorder stuff helps with the early difficulty hump but it's not worth a lot.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

KakerMix posted:

You do get 3? free neuromods too though, which isn't that big of a deal in the whole game but quite the boost at the beginning.
Yeah, you get some extra stuff but it doesn't break the game or something to the point of deleting the DLC asap. I felt it was actually a welcome little bonus at that point in the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just saw a "medkit" take an elevator all by itself. That was pretty funny.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

My favorite one was the little pond under the waterfall in Arboretum - all 3 floating lilies were mimics and the pond itself was a screen with a room under it.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

Not really, they don't make much of a difference except that the shotgun looks cooler than the default one (and you can get the default one eariler in the same area if you poke around).

Thanks!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Man, you guys weren't kidding about Reactor being insanely laggy.
I had rock solid 60fps throughout the whole game, not a single framedrop. The Reactor drops it to 25 fps.

They must've forgot LOD models on a whole lot of objects that are used there or something because that's really strange.

Palpek posted:

My favorite one was the little pond under the waterfall in Arboretum - all 3 floating lilies were mimics and the pond itself was a screen with a room under it.

That's was the part where I discovered that Mimic Detection Chip Gen 1 doesn't detect Greater Mimics.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 16, 2017

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
^^^ "Rector" being insanely laggy? Don't doxx me please. Thanks.

SinineSiil posted:

Where do the empty cans go?
Does Morgan eat them?

You don't eat your cans after your done?

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
Should I get alien augments or not?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

pippy posted:

Should I get alien augments or not?

Yes.

Unless you're deep into achievement hunting, then I guess it's best to first do one playthrough with only human neuromods, then one with only alien neuromods.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Trip report on my "kill everyone including January" run, first time through the game. Full game spoilers:

I killed January after it killed December, all other NPCs were killed immediately upon meeting them except Mikhaila. I got her meds and revealed to her that I had killed her father before I shot her in the face. I was just doing it for achievements, but it made the run a little extra special psycho. I really enjoyed wandering around mostly directionless and scouring the station clean. I did find and kill everyone but didn't get the achievement for killing everyone, apparently I have to personally murder them? Some died to the fake chef in crew quarters so I guess that screwed me over. Unless there's a way to kill Danielle, she was the only person whose death I did not 100% confirm. I thought about going outside and trying to find the cafeteria window, maybe see if she was around and killable, but that's a pain in the rear end.

Anyway it was an interesting way to go through the game for the first time. It was a whole different experience from what I am reading about from others. I missed literally everything to do with the survivors in cargo bay and Igwe and all that. Spaced Igwe out of his container before I ever met him and shotgunned all the cargo bay dudes. The little quest from Dahl to pick off the last few survivors was funny and the IT supply closet is chock full of scrap but nothing else fancy if anyone was wondering. The ending was lackluster since psychos just get "welp, this one's not empathic at all, let's try again". Was kinda hoping for more than that. A recounting of all my horrific accomplishments, maybe. Overall it was a good time and I'm glad I did it, so now I can go through and have a whole different game for the next run. Empathy time!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Got this game and I wish I had the time sit and play videogames all day like I used too. It's hard to not want to go exploring everything.

Palpek posted:

I accidentally smashed the water trying to get the jump on those mimics and I thought "Oh of course the water is fake!"

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Mymla posted:

Yes.

Unless you're deep into achievement hunting, then I guess it's best to first do one playthrough with only human neuromods, then one with only alien neuromods.

Can't you just do a no mod run, save before end, beat the game, reload, take a human mod, beat the game, reload, take a typhon mod, beat the game if you care about dumb poo poo?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's not really about cheevos for me personally.
I felt like doing a Human-only/Typhoon-only run is a pretty good challenge. Makes you somewhat less OP.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Does a no-neuromod run offer a different ending?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Palpek posted:

Anyway, the entire game is a metaphor for Steam, right? Gabe "Alex" Newell plays with fire and gets his "space station" infected with awful games?

Oh my god

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The metaphor works pretty well, including the part where the company extracts value from "Volunteers" with experimental programs for greater profit while half the budget is spent in the Hardware Labs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
Does the ending change if you do only human neuromods? Is there even extra dialogue, or just an achievo?