Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Funzo posted:

Also, this poo poo. Still good too.

I have a bunch of old Ral Partha paints that are pushing 30 years old that I still use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Funzo posted:

I decided to pull out my paints after they've been in a box for years. Ended up throwing out roughly $100 worth of GW paints. These ancient pots were still good though.

Yeah those hex pots (and the round ones before them that P3 and Cote d'Arms still use) are pretty much the pinnacle of non-dropper bottles and will usually last forever.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zark the Damned posted:

Yeah those hex pots (and the round ones before them that P3 and Cote d'Arms still use) are pretty much the pinnacle of non-dropper bottles and will usually last forever.

I have a pot of boltgun metal from 1992 that's still great.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Chill la Chill posted:

But, good news! Privateer press' P3 line has those exact pains with those jars!

Zark the Damned posted:

Good news everyone!

Just a few years of storage, these were from close to when PP first released them. I've since rebottled everything into dropper bottles.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Zark the Damned posted:

I had one of the Coat d'Arms one split down the middle! :O

Seriously, how does one stop the paint from getting stuck inside the rim of the cap? Or is the answer always 'rebottle' ?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

You pretty much can't stop paint getting inside the rim without rebottling, but you can clean it out every now and then with a needle or similar.

Haven't heard of the pot splitting down the middle before, maybe a defective batch with a weak seam?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Southern Heel posted:

I got given some Space Hulk Terminators, and I want to paint them like Deathwing (since when I started collecting in 2nd Edition, Dark Angels were so cool!). I also want to include my chapter colours. The old marines I've got from 2nd/3rd are here:

Which of these look better?

I'm leaning towards shoulderpads-only...

Oh man, those old models are neat. I'd stick to just the shoulderpads, although the pads being different colors like that reminds me of the lights on a police car.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Out of curiosity has anyone here actually tried the Rust-Oleum paint and primer cans?

As someone else mentioned, they go on pretty thick. I'd stick to Krylon.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is there a difference between the Krylon and Rust-Oleum sandable primers?

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

bonds0097 posted:

Thanks guys! I painted the other 2 marines in the painting set box, albeit with vallejo paints. Edge highlights were pretty messy but good practice.

Then decided to practice black on a guardian. Highlights came out a lot better imo. Planning on doing a saim hann and biel tan too in order to see what I like. Currently also working a 5-pack of cadians and the vedros set. Just trying to get a lot of practice in before I dive into a real army that I care about (which I'm currently planning on doing as crimson fist marines and possibly an eldar army if I enjoy the color schemes).

Nice! I can def see you're improving from the first one. Does the painting guide in that set say to use the edge highlights in the recesses? I generally put the shade in there, and put the edge highlights on the edges. It also looks like you might need to thin a bit more, if you look at the paint in the wrists. Keep on truckin' man!

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Just the shoulders makes for the best Nintendo switch cosplay marines

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Tried out the paint + primer Rust-Oleum spray, along with a model painted with some flat gray primer (also Rust-Oleum). It might be a bit thicker, but it also might be a side effect of how glossy the paint is. I will put on a layer of Dullcote and put up some comparison pics.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is there a difference between the Krylon and Rust-Oleum sandable primers?

I use Rustoleum Grey Automotive Primer for everything. Always goes on real thin with great coverage. Works great on plastic or resin, though I have never tried metal it should be perfect for that.

Foolproof.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Is that the sandable primer or another version? I'm in the market for a good black primer, I've got a good grey one I use for almost everything, but the black I've got sucks. It's a bitch to get spray primer because it can't be sold in Chicago so I can't experiment with different types like I wish I could

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

rantmo posted:

Is that the sandable primer or another version? I'm in the market for a good black primer, I've got a good grey one I use for almost everything, but the black I've got sucks. It's a bitch to get spray primer because it can't be sold in Chicago so I can't experiment with different types like I wish I could

Yeah. The black is supposed to be very good, but I don't use it personally.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

Finally, I've finished my first KoW unit (minus a few tiny finishing touches to the base) after having been out of miniature wargaming for some 20 years. Can't wait to throw this horde of earth elementals into the fray. Minis are Reaper Bones.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Are you ready for some football?

It's a Monday Sunday night party!

This friend seems almost too rowdy...

I went with a classic Gouged Eye color scheme for Varag because he's their team captain. With SRM's help, I found the old, old color scheme for the Chaos All-Stars, and painted Morg'n'Thorg in that dark green and red scheme, because I believe that was the team that made him famous. My team is currently killing it in my BB league, so I don't know if I'll ever actually use these guys, but they were a blast to paint.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

Are you ready for some football?

It's a Monday Sunday night party!

This friend seems almost too rowdy...

I went with a classic Gouged Eye color scheme for Varag because he's their team captain. With SRM's help, I found the old, old color scheme for the Chaos All-Stars, and painted Morg'n'Thorg in that dark green and red scheme, because I believe that was the team that made him famous. My team is currently killing it in my BB league, so I don't know if I'll ever actually use these guys, but they were a blast to paint.

These guys are looking great dude, I love the checks and dags you put on the Orc team.

Warboot
Dec 13, 2012

Snuff films...Ya know, for kids!
Crosspost from the 40k thread

Warboot posted:

My SW:A Killteam, I've got some bases in the works to rebase the marines on.

lorddazron
Mar 31, 2011
These guys aren't quite finished yet. Fruits of the past few nights labours...

There's also these two Khorne guys (I had oathed to complete all 5 from the starter set, but 3 are currently soaking in Dettol due to a dodgy batch of wash). They just need the bases finishing off.

I've only been painting again for a few weeks, and the difference between now and what I did originally is like night and day. I wish I could find some pics of my older models to compare. The tips I've picked up just from lurking in this thread and improved my standard so much. Next on the list is a decent light box!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Still haven't made my lightbox and I'm in a bit of a rush to post these before work, but this guy is done. I may go back to redo a few highlights and fix the lens on the gun sight.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cross posting from the AoS thread.

Zuul the Cat posted:

I picked up a box of the 3 Liberators from GW this weekend to test out paint schemes. I'm going with them for my AoS army.

One of the models ended up with a fuzzy coat of white primer, so he got chucked. But the other two i'm pretty happy with.

The first one I was going for the Celestial Vindicators, but I ended up making his armor too much Temple Guard Blue instead of mostly Sotek Green. I am really happy with how the shield and the gold turned out on him though.

I'm not at all happy with the white, though. I can't paint white to save my life.

The second one I ended up going for a theme of my own design. I really like the Howling Griffins Space Marines and I've always loved the Yellow/Red tincture.

What do you guys think?

Any tips on painting white? I kinda like the blue, but having to do that much white will kill me.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Use a very light grey like Citadel Ulthuan Grey and just build a ton of thin coats until you get the correct opacity. Highlight with actual white.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

mango sentinel posted:

Use a very light grey like Citadel Ulthuan Grey and just build a ton of thin coats until you get the correct opacity. Highlight with actual white.
This, plus shading with thinned down washes and paints is the way to go.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Also, put some color into it. Don't just use greys for shadows. If it's facing the sky, add in a little blue to the shadows. If it's towards the ground, use browns.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So it looks like I might be okay with the Rust-Oleum paint+primer stuff. Check out the image below:

On the left is the Paint + Primer with 3-4 light coats, and on the right is model with 3 layers of Rust-Oleum sandable gray primer I had lying around. In person they look pretty similar, and with my zenithal highlighting approach I could probably reduce the number of coats on the model even more by avoiding any top-down angles until the white coat is applied.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zuul the Cat posted:

Cross posting from the AoS thread.

Any tips on painting white? I kinda like the blue, but having to do that much white will kill me.

I'm in love with your howling griffons design. That red/yellow split gives them the most old school WHFB look I think I've seen, and the silver looks nice and clean. Awesome work!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Booyah- posted:

I'm in love with your howling griffons design. That red/yellow split gives them the most old school WHFB look I think I've seen, and the silver looks nice and clean. Awesome work!

Thanks! I think this is the scheme I'm going to go with, although for the Liberators, I think I'm going to change up the shapes on the shields just to give them each a little personality. I'm also thinking of changing the icons to black and the hammers to black.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I got some more Scale 75 paint and wanted to see if I could demonstrate the extra-matte effect

The green colors from left to right
Vallejo Heavy Black Green
Citadel Kabalite Green
Scale 75 Boreal Tree Green

You can see the effect a bit better here:

The dirt is Scale 75, the leaves and stones are done with a mix of Citadel and Vallejo. They look like stickers they are so much more glossy

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
That is a reall cool demo, OP worthy.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Holy hell, Perfect example!

I should do the same with the Fantasy and Games Scale range.

They're between normal Scale75 and Citadel. The tiniest of sheen, but still very matte.

I love Scale :love:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Did the ivory highlight and of course I immediately dropped the metal miniature on the concrete floor. Oh well. I was planning on stripping him later anyway when I did a round of Devastators, but dammit now his eye piece is all dented. drat metal figs.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I'm painting a Sisters of Battle kill team and I want to do an Immolator/Rhino for them. My colour scheme for the Infantry is gold armour with light grey robes and red weapons/Inquisition symbols.

When I saw the GW custodes vehicles all blinged out with gold, I thought they looked dreadful.

Anyone got any suggestions on translating my colour scheme to a Rhino-chassis vehicle without resorting to too much gold on the tank?

Work in progress on one of the Sisters - enough for a first impression even if there's loads of work to do yet:

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 17, 2017

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ineptmule posted:

I'm painting a Sisters of Battle kill team and I want to do an Immolator/Rhino for them. My colour scheme for the Infantry is gold armour with light grey robes and red weapons/Inquisition symbols.

When I saw the GW custodes vehicles all blinged out with gold, I thought they looked dreadful.

Anyone got any suggestions on translating my colour scheme to a Rhino-chassis vehicle without resorting to too much gold on the tank?

Invert your scheme. Light grey chassis with gold trim and red/white detailing.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I'd go with something along the lines of the following:

Basically, the idea is that you want to break up the big amounts of gold. I'd actually think about making either gray or red your main color on the tank, with gold as a trim or accent. But either way, you want to make sure it isn't just a solid blob of gold.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How do goons go about painting forest bases? I'm looking to do some old style European forests, so the trees are fairly dark I think but I do want some colour and richness to come through. I'm just a bit lost on how to approach painting the soil and trees. I've got some flowers/flock/leaves and stuff to add to the bases once painted. I'm just a bit lost on how to start.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Invert your scheme. Light grey chassis with gold trim and red/white detailing.

JackMann posted:

I'd go with something along the lines of the following:

Basically, the idea is that you want to break up the big amounts of gold. I'd actually think about making either gray or red your main color on the tank, with gold as a trim or accent. But either way, you want to make sure it isn't just a solid blob of gold.

Cheers folks. That's exactly the sort of advice I needed!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Out of the biostrip pot and ready to serve again.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

TTerrible posted:

Out of the biostrip pot and ready to serve again.

Old school!

I converted mine to turn them into mountaineering troops (i.e. Veterans) :

The hardest part was carving off the wires for their hot-shot lasguns.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ilor posted:

Old school!

I converted mine to turn them into mountaineering troops (i.e. Veterans) :

The hardest part was carving off the wires for their hot-shot lasguns.

Haha those backpacks are perfect! The sculpting on these is peak melty. Details just flow into each other. I can't imagine trying to carge those cables off :psyduck:

I've got that same Sgt, not sure who at GW thought a laspistol and bolt pistol was a good setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Dumb question: when zenithal highlighting do you use grey and white primer or regular paint or does it matter?