Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Hey guys let's put this guy who definitely doped and perjured himselfobstructed justice in federal court several times about it into our permanent record of good baseball men so that kids will know the way to get ahead is to cheat the system and be an rear end in a top hat
Hey guys, we hosed up bad by allowing a labor stoppage and people are real mad! Lets encourage players to take steroids a decade by:

1) having absolutely no testing policy whatsoever
2) promoting the gently caress out of the guys who are obviously using and hitting lots of dingers
3) turning a blind eye to it all from top to bottom, from the commissioner to owners to managers to trainers and even fans

But then let's get super self-righteous about it all of a sudden (when Congress gets involved for some reason?) and pillory the guys we used to bring the sport back from the dead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I've been drinking a ton of this HGH milk and I haven't hit a single home run. This is bull poo poo.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Anyone who gets mad about an athlete using PEDs is incredibly naive about how many athletes from high school through to the masters games are doping.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
But what is Bonds opinion about Hot Dog Sandwiches?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Anyone who gets mad about an athlete using PEDs is incredibly naive about how many athletes from high school through to the masters games are doping.

This ridiculous statement can be used to turn a blind eye to every lovely thing in sports including domestic abuse, petty crimes, and worse. Its a dumb argument and you shouldn't abandon an ideal to defend millionaire retired sports personalities.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Your favorite player from the 80s or 90s probably did all kinds of illegal poo poo to play baseball better.

I honestly can't remember whether any of the early 90s Jays got caught doping. Since the new regime only Colabello and two minor leaguers in the Jays org

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The hall is filled with racists, assholes, cheaters, and fuckers who basically tried to kill each other. Barry Bonds is an rear end in a top hat but he was great at baseball and he's no worse than a good portion of the guys in there already.

I mean, gently caress, Juan Marichal beat a fucker over the head with a baseball bat and went cock fighting with Pedro Martinez. Half the guys in there probably think Bonds shouldn't be let in because of the color of his skin. Gaylord Perry walked into the Hall spitting on his hands. That ain't the Hall of Role Models and Fair Players and never was.

Admittedly I'm still weirdly stubborn about Pete Rose but I'm willing to let it go if he admits Ichiro is Baseball's Hits King.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I honestly can't remember whether any of the early 90s Jays got caught doping. Since the new regime only Colabello and two minor leaguers in the Jays org
The point is a fuckton of players were using something during that era because there was no testing and pro atheletes at the highest levels of their sport are insanely competitive and will do anything to gain an advantage. It is virtually guaranteed that at least a few players you loved from that era were taking PEDs of some sort.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Admittedly I'm still weirdly stubborn about Pete Rose but I'm willing to let it go if he admits Ichiro is Baseball's Hits King.

What a weird hangup. I mean I get not liking Pete Rose but he very clearly has the most hits, it's really not debatable. It's the same as not counting minor league hits.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I am a Dodgers fan who spent ages 8 to 22 booing Barry Bonds like he was the second coming of Hitler, and even I think he should have been in on the first ballot.

But Pete Rose should be on the outside looking in for a century at least.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 16, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

They're also getting played like a fiddle because Bud rode the PED-induced dinger wave into saving baseball after the strike, then he threw them all under the bus.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

What a weird hangup. I mean I get not liking Pete Rose but he very clearly has the most hits, it's really not debatable. It's the same as not counting minor league hits.
It's more about Pete Rose having to check his ego than anything else.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

No, what I said was he was a known user who was found guilty of lying to court. What I definitely didn't say was that he was unique in baseball, but everything he ever did has a very public asterisk next to it and he is a lovely hof candidate because of it. That plus his unlikeable personality make him hard to recommend.

I'm well aware of the culture of "supplements" in pro and competitive amateur sports. I was reffing at a junior hockey showcase tourney this past weekend and the lobby of the rink was full of people peddling ground bull testicles or whatever garbage they thought the kids would choke down to be a step faster than the next guy, at a table next to "how to apply for NCAA scholarships" and "Johnny Skatefast Real Good Hockey School For Kids From Rich Families"

Being aware of it and accepting it are different things and if that means dropping hot takes about Barry Bonds then so be it

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

This is a much more legitimate reason.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bawfuls posted:

Pretty much. I fully admit I'm being stubbornly hypocritical about Rose but it's just because he's been such an arrogant prick my entire life and I'm dug in. Intellectually I know I should probably let it go, but I can't get there without seeing him humbled a little.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 16, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I genuinely think what Pete Rose did is much more dangerous to the long term health of MLB than what Bonds et all did. Furthermore, Rose accepted a lifetime ban from the game and placement on the permanent ineligibility list in exchange for MLB dropping it's active investigation into his transgressions.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The best part about Selig using steroids to resurrect baseball was he's the rear end in a top hat that was colluding against players that caused the work stoppage to begin with. And it gets better, once baseball is saved and Bonds is Public Enemy No. 1 what does Ol' Allan Huber Selig do? He colludes against Bonds to get him out of the league.

Also I love how people rip into Bonds's stats as being inflated from PEDs when I'd wager half of the pitchers he hit home runs off of were taking steroids.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Hey guys let's put this guy who definitely doped and perjured himselfobstructed justice in federal court several times about it into our permanent record of good baseball men so that kids will know the way to get ahead is to cheat the system and be an rear end in a top hat

Yeah Rafael Palmeiro probably should be in the hall.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The Hall of Fame makes fans stupid.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I remember when Barry Bonds invented drugs, cheating in sports and Not Being A Role Model

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Luckily in 2002 david eckstein played the right way and saved us from barry's mandatory-steroid mlb

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I brought him up jokingly but since I believe Barry and Clemens will eventually make it will Palmiero be the biggest steroids snub left out of the hall? 3000 hits and 500 home runs.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

But really, who the gently caress puts ketchup on their hot dog sandwich?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Spoeank posted:

Luckily in 2002 david eckstein played the right way and saved us from barry's mandatory-steroid mlb

all players should have tubes in their skull and a button they can press to get super buff, like Bane.

imo

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Ha ha

https://streamable.com/rqmce

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I have in my hand a letter from Paul Lo Duca that says thanks for the steroids

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Goodpancakes posted:

This ridiculous statement can be used to turn a blind eye to every lovely thing in sports including domestic abuse, petty crimes, and worse. Its a dumb argument and you shouldn't abandon an ideal to defend millionaire retired sports personalities.

Wow this is dumb. If you cant see the huge moral differences between domestic violence and doping you might be the biggest autist ever. Saying doping is like beating your wife, is like saying stealing signs is the same as throwing at a guys head.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Bonds was a doping cheater (and continued to be one after they started actually enforcing it, idiot) and should never get in

Barry Bonds was a hall of famer before he even starting doping.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Gosh I hope I'm not intruding on roidchat but yesterday ALTUVE HIT THE loving DINGER MACHINE.

The internets is fine and all but I wish there was some kind of universe where I woke up in the morning to retrieve the morning paper newspaper, opened it up, and that was the headlines.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Senf posted:

But really, who the gently caress puts ketchup on their hot dog sandwich?

Bud Selig.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I don't put ketchup on hot dog sandwiches but I do put ketchup on hot dogs because if you use actual good ingredients you're wasting them on a freaking hot dog.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Goodpancakes posted:

Yes my argument is the dumb one says the guy who compares injecting testosterone into ones butt with terrorizing a loved one...

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Guess what.

Barry Bonds never tested positive, unlike members of The core 4 that helped Jeter win a bunch of titles...

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm pretty sure the Bonds conviction was overturned on appeal

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Doping is rad and all players should do it and not getting caught is the game within the game.

And if Jeter is so great, how come he never won an MVP? Checkmate Yankees :smug:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Guess what.

Barry Bonds never tested positive, unlike members of The core 4 that helped Jeter win a bunch of titles...

Speaking of steroids, Braun is on the DL.

I hope we can unload him this year for some decent pitching prospects, but I doubt it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I wanted the Jays to trade for Ryan Braun in the offseason but instead they signed Steve Pearce and every pitching prospect has turned into a pumpkin.

I miss AA

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/MLBastian/status/864212995760586753

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

I wanted the Jays to trade for Ryan Braun in the offseason but instead they signed Steve Pearce and every pitching prospect has turned into a pumpkin.

I miss AA

Okay but now that the pitching prospects are pumpkinized the Jays will have a lot of very cost-effective pumpkins. This is how you build a winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Guess what.

I'm not advocating for Jeter, I was just pointing out that he had more hits than Bonds. BB admitted to using the stuff, so testing positive is kind of irrelevant.

• Locked thread