Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
What is this opposite day? Those things quoted from Mearls actually sound like they would be relatively good things to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Huh interesting some stuff that Mearls himself does not like about 5e.
that's quite a list of things he could have done and chose not to

mastershakeman posted:

ask him directly about all the poo poo he's helped encourage.
nah

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

ask him directly about all the poo poo he's helped encourage.

Why the gently caress would I ever talk to Mike Mearls?

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
One interesting note I found in there is that there's currently 10 people working on design/development/creative for 5e. I know there's been a lot of speculation on team size, so it's cool to see an actual answer

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Arivia posted:

Why the gently caress would I ever talk to Mike Mearls?

I would imagine so we could watch everything blow up or watch the meltdown here when you were ignored?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wait are there druids out there that actually use spells instead of shapeshifting 100% of the time as soon as their animal attacks turn magical?

Garl_Grimm
Apr 13, 2005
The party Rogue just found a pair of Eyes of Minute Seeing, and I just realized I have no idea how long it takes to search a room with Perception or Investigate. 3.x had Search take (something like) 1 round per five feet searched or some kind of nonsense, but does 5e have a rule beyond the ability checks being an Action?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The pacing rules define three speeds: fast (-5 passive perception and no stealthing), normal (normal pp but no stealth), and slow (normal pp and can stealth too). Use that and passives for crawling around the dungeon instead of constant checks every 5 feet. Describe what they sense with their passive perception in mind. Since perception doesn't have a defined range like 'one room' or '5 foot blocks', give them whatever is in the limits of their senses. They might spot a ship on the horizon or a voice in the wind.

Eyes of Minute Seeing wont help there, they only go out to 1 foot and only on investigation checks.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why would he implement all those things if he doesn't like them??? Or is this a case of the thing hes bothered about it will actually make it worse in every way, exhibit a) the Wizard who was religious was a better cleric than a cleric.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

Why would he implement all those things if he doesn't like them??? Or is this a case of the thing hes bothered about it will actually make it worse in every way, exhibit a) the Wizard who was religious was a better cleric than a cleric.

Presumably its a case of a not realizing he did not like that stuff until after it was implemented. And or the others on the D&D team disagreeing with him. Those are the two most likely scenarios.

The DMG adventure was probably just a page space thing however.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Mike Mearls posted:

Fighter subclasses - so bland!

No poo poo, Mike!

Remember when people were complaining about each revision of the fighter being blander than the last one, and you kept claiming that this was a good thing because it felt more like D&D?

MonsterEnvy posted:

The DMG adventure was probably just a page space thing however.

Maybe using nearly a third of the pages on magic items wasn't the best idea, huh?

Or maybe the sample adventure could have been placed in the PHB instead, so that everyone can see what the game's supposed to be like? But what could you cut out to make room for it? Certainly not the 8 pages that duplicate monster manual entries. Coincidentally, that's the exact same number of pages that Mentzer Basic spends on the starter adventure + advice on how to run it.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 16, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

No poo poo, Mike!

Remember when people were complaining about each revision of the fighter being blander than the last one, and you kept claiming that this was a good thing because it felt more like D&D?

He can't hear you maybe you should have brought that to AMA instead.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

He demonstrably doesn't listen when these exact issues are pointed out, so why bother?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

We did lol, repeatedly. Like loving Krag Hack, the running joke and/or mascot of the D&D NEXT playtest on SA existed because I love playing fighters and martials but playing a cleric was the correct way to play one that wasn't bland and boring.

EDIT: People even filled in detailed reports about it, despite the fields being garbage poo poo like 'How does the spell Acid Arrow make you feel?'

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 16, 2017

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

Mearls posted:

I'm pretty bad at it. I am the anti-handy man. If you want something broken ask me to fix it.

Heh

Noxin of Shame fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 16, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Conjure animals is frustrating. I can't really think of a way to make that spell fun and not make my player give me big sad eyes. Not looking forward to conjure woodland beings.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Conjure animals is frustrating. I can't really think of a way to make that spell fun and not make my player give me big sad eyes. Not looking forward to conjure woodland beings.

OK, so this isn't edition specific and does nothing to address the issues with summon spells in 5th ed, but...

Way back in either 1st or 2nd ed, I changed those kinds of spells so that they didn't summon up local real animals or whatever, but instead called "spirit" animals briefly into material forms. I decided that they were intelligent, communicative, and importantly were always the same animal. Didn't fix the various poo poo summoning's nearly always caused because it didn't change any of the mechanics, but it made it more fun for the group interacting with the same animal dude again and again. For example: the wolf (human name "Brian", nobody knows why he chose it) would constantly bitch about being interrupted from his super important spirit wolf business by assholes who wanted him to maul goblins. Later, Brian shows up again as the constant companion of a kindly shaman NPC, and everyone realises that they really have been interrupting Important Wolf Stuff every time they summon him. They also find out that shamans etc take spirit animal names ("Runs By Moonlight" etc), and that's why Brian thought he needed to take a human name.

Like I said, doesn't fix poo poo, but it was more entertaining than playing it straight from the book.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Make a specific and customized list of summonable animals that you can both live with.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Make a specific and customized list of summonable animals that you can both live with.

I already divided the amounts in half - I don't want 8 of anything. I considered having him roll from a table. He really likes the giant octopus which is funny and thematic and stuff but also really strong. (He also turns in to a giant octopus himself.)

Making it the same animals is cool as hell. Really wish I could convince him to just summon one thing at a time and pick strong things- cutting the quantity in half already incentivizes that.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Make the caster need a part of the animal they wish to summon. A tooth, a tuft of hair, etc. If they want cool and crazy creatures, they are going to need to seek them out (dinosaur adventures ahoy!)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Two Headed Calf posted:

Make the caster need a part of the animal they wish to summon. A tooth, a tuft of hair, etc. If they want cool and crazy creatures, they are going to need to seek them out (dinosaur adventures ahoy!)
Lol I make him tell the story of the time he saw the animal in question each time but like, I was mostly just asking for a cool improvised story than a mechanical limitation. I guess when he tells the group where the dinosaurs are they might have to go there.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't mean anything about the amount of animals, all I'm saying is that you should try to strictly define what the spell is capable of, so that when the player casts the spell he knows what he's getting (which informs when he'll cast it and how he'll use it), and so that you can't ever be caught off-guard by him summoning a bunch of poo poo that you don't know how to deal with or integrate well.

It's like, when you cast a Fireball, you know it's going to deal roughly this amount of damage, at this exact range, in this exact area, so you know precisely how to use it. Summoning spells should be just as intuitive.

The by-the-book interpretation sucks because the DM gets to gently caress-over the player if they want, and a rolled result might suck because it's unpredictable on both ends of the table.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

gradenko_2000 posted:

An attack roll followed by an opposed Strength check?

The problem with this comes around when you actually think about "hmmm so does this attack roll add your proficiency bonus? Is it a weapon attack?" etc. :can:

Having grapple be an Athletics check means it plainly adds your proficiency bonus if you have proficiency in Athletics, boom, done. Reverse engineering it into an attack roll against either AC or an opposed check causes it to lose all of its succinctness in favour of the uniformity of "every type of attack is an attack roll" which IMHO is of no benefit to anyone.

Or if you're saying that it should be STR+prof vs. STR+prof, then that's actually what the status quo is, more or less. If you're saying it should be STR vs. STR (no prof on either) then that's slightly different, but like... why? Then it's not really working the same as an attack, so it's still existing outside of the established mechanics.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 16, 2017

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
obviously it should be a maneuver that prompts a reflex or strength save dc: whatever the gently caress

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I already divided the amounts in half - I don't want 8 of anything. I considered having him roll from a table. He really likes the giant octopus which is funny and thematic and stuff but also really strong. (He also turns in to a giant octopus himself.)

Making it the same animals is cool as hell. Really wish I could convince him to just summon one thing at a time and pick strong things- cutting the quantity in half already incentivizes that.

Yeah the summoning of 8 Giant Owls is kind of annoying to deal with. But I don't feel right saying he can't.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Narratively/it's loving awesome-wise? Sure. I never want to say no.

But going, "Todd, the rules are clearly loving clownshoes here, no you don't get 800% more turns than everyone else god why did they make that an option. " is just being able to read and think basic thoughts.

That is so loving dumb.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

Narratively/it's loving awesome-wise? Sure. I never want to say no.

Right.

Xiahou Dun posted:

no you don't get 800% more turns than everyone else god why did they make that an option.

Also right.

What are some ways we could make summoning spells just as cool as pulling multiple giant octopodes out of nowhere without being dumb as gently caress? I'm kinda lost here because every D&D game I've played in the last however long that feels like forever has had everyone tacitly or explicitly agreeing not to summon anything because it fucks the game up. The problem's existed since way back, has anyone ever had a crack at solving it?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I hate to be That Guy but 4e did make you spend your actions to make summons do things unless I'm forgetting.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

What are some ways we could make summoning spells just as cool as pulling multiple giant octopodes out of nowhere without being dumb as gently caress? I'm kinda lost here because every D&D game I've played in the last however long that feels like forever has had everyone tacitly or explicitly agreeing not to summon anything because it fucks the game up. The problem's existed since way back, has anyone ever had a crack at solving it?

The Trailblazer third-party supplement for 3e tried to do it by breaking down summoned monsters into building-blocks of stats and abilities that you could pick-and-choose from, and then left the narrative look of the creature up to the player:

It both solved the issue of the player dumpster-diving for a monster that would blindside the GM, and the issue of the player needing a copy of the Monster Manual just to be able to summon creatures.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Xiahou Dun posted:

I never want to say no.

Just say no, goons. Learn to say no.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I think the summoning rules are my least favorite part of the 5e ruleset. Its like it was hand-crafted by artisans to be simultaneously utterly game breaking and completely worthless at the same time. I wonder if the guy who came up with the idea of letting the dm pick the creature summoned got a raise.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Yeah if you want the player to be able to summon eight owls maybe make up a single statblock for those eight owls I know I'd be pumped to cast 'Summon Owl Swarm' and you'll be pumped to not have to deal with one more initiative instead of eight

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

One of my players, during a one shot, used that magical horn that summons barbarians. He was all set to track their stats and roll everything, a person that already took too long on turns. I just had him roll whatever size dice was closest to the amount of barbarians he had. That many hit, and each did a d8 of damage, all on his turn.

If you have a lot of thing, abstract and combine as much as possible.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

I hate to be That Guy but 4e did make you spend your actions to make summons do things unless I'm forgetting.

yeah but then they had to add instinctive actions to make summons not terrible.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Outside of being pedantic I can only think of the fact that Druids were the best 4e Summoners because the Instinctive Action thing meant that your beasts would just keep wholloping on things while you turned into a swarm of bees.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AlphaDog posted:

Right.

Also right.

Cap player controlled mobs at 1. Multi-mob summons are swarms or terrain, additional castings are either disallowed, boost the existing mob (more pixies = bigger, better pixie swarm), or you can only direct one per round (the other(s) are treated as traps or passive battlefield effects or are player-friendly gm-controlled NPCs). This still gives one player two turns, but I'm ok with that, it's the 4/10/20 turns where it gets dumb.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So one of the things Mearls talked about in his AMA was that he felt that initiative as 5e (and 4e, and 3e) has done it is too cyclical.

He tweeted a summarized version of his own houserule for initiative:

quote:

Roll each round. D4 = ranged, d8 = melee, d12 = spell, d6 = anything else, +d8 to swap gear, +d8 for bonus action, low goes 1st #wotcstaff

quote:

Oh, and +d6 to move and do something #wotcstaff

quote:

what's the general philosophy behind this?

quote:

CHAOS!

More seriously - adds tension, speeds up resolution. So far in play has been faster and makes fights more intense. #wotcstaff

This probably isn't faster than RAW initiative because you have to keep doing it every round, AND you'd need to pre-declare your intended action so that you know what to roll.

This looks similar to the "Speed Factor" initiative variant in the DMG, where you roll a d20 + mods, but you roll every round and have a modifier to the roll depending on intended action - heavy melee weapon attack is a -2, light/finesse melee weapon attach is a +2, spellcasting is +spellLevel, and so on.

But this one by Mearls is probably faster than that, since you're using different die depending on action, rather than trying to remember to apply a modifier according to a table.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

So one of the things Mearls talked about in his AMA was that he felt that initiative as 5e (and 4e, and 3e) has done it is too cyclical.

He tweeted a summarized version of his own houserule for initiative:

Yeah, OK, but... why? What does "too cyclical" mean here? What's that houserule trying to solve? And how does it speed up play to be rolling initiative every round?

Also I don't get how it "adds tenstion". Is it because you're not sure what the order's going to be each round?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah, OK, but... why? What does "too cyclical" mean here? What's that houserule trying to solve? And how does it speed up play to be rolling initiative every round?

Also I don't get how it "adds tenstion". Is it because you're not sure what the order's going to be each round?

I'm obviously not him, but for the sake of discussion:

* he probably means "too predictable", or perhaps "too rote"
* as I said, it's probably not faster than RAW initiative
* yes, because you would presumably declare your action, then find out when it goes off

I suppose this also adds some level of additional depth as far as your initiative being influenced by your action, specifically with spells being slower than attacks, which was a thing that was arguably lost from AD&D (assuming you ever tried to play initiative in those games as intended)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I kind of like that idea actually. Rolling every round seems a bit much but I want to give this a try now.