Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Away all Goats posted:

Thanks for the advice! I completely didn't know you could just use raise zombies whenever, I thought units had to die first. I'll try that and the direwolves puppies

It's the strongest spell in the game. Just jam up charges and ranged units with it all day every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Hunt11 posted:

Finally got around to getting the game and I have a few questions. I am starting off as Empire to get a feel for the game and I remember hearing that you could capture artillery pieces from the enemy during Franz's first quest battle. So my question is how do you do it?

it seems to be more-or-less random, it's never a guaranteed thing. I've done battles where I parked a unit on abandoned artillery and not captured them after the battle, and I've had ones where I just fought through it and somehow had a cannon or whatever afterwards. The one thing I am fairly sure of is that you have to choose to incorporate captives into your army after the battle, not ransom or execute, in order to get the artillery.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

it seems to be more-or-less random, it's never a guaranteed thing. I've done battles where I parked a unit on abandoned artillery and not captured them after the battle, and I've had ones where I just fought through it and somehow had a cannon or whatever afterwards. The one thing I am fairly sure of is that you have to choose to incorporate captives into your army after the battle, not ransom or execute, in order to get the artillery.

I seem to recall reading that it's a flat 10% chance.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I know most of you are probably waiting on the new game, but I finally got sick of banners (the items your generals can assign to units, not the cosmetic things) being hot garbage and made a mod to make them (hopefully) more interesting and less poo poo. I also spent an unreasonable amount of time recreating the text treatment from the Total War Warhammer logo for the icon, so it has that going for it. I'm not actually sure if you have to have the DLC to use it, but I guess i'll find out.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
what do the new banners do? you don't have to list all of them, but one or two examples would be cool.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

what do the new banners do? you don't have to list all of them, but one or two examples would be cool.

There are a few, in the screenshots for the mod (Hawk Banner is new, so is Bog Standard). Most of them add existing imbuements (like Sunder Armor on hit or Blind or what have you), though there is one new imbuement effect.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 16, 2017

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Oh those look great, I'll definitely have to try it out later. I tend to not use banners at all except in the early game when I have nothing else to equip, but a lot of those make them a lot more attractive as options.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yeah that's a really nice mod. There are a couple banners in the base game which are actually cool and fun to use so it's nice to bring the other underwhelming ones into line with that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Does anyone know how to speed up the tower production on Siege battles. Like... The "Proper" way to do it is to build your siege equipment and launch an assault, but almost always the enemy will be dead by the time you construct any worthwhile towers. Or I just roll another army in and Auto-Resolve.

Wallet posted:

There are a few, in the screenshots for the mod (Hawk Banner is new, so is Bog Standard). Most of them add existing imbuements (like Sunder Armor on hit or Blind or what have you), though there is one new imbuement effect.

And subscribed

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Did they ever tell us what the old friend was gonna be?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Livestream going, things mentioned so far, aside from the roster itself:

They've added new mechanics for spellcasting to better represent characters like Mazdamundi who are super-great at casting. He is apparently very very good at casting.

Saurus have really high HP, medium armor, as they get wounded are more prone to going semi-berserk/uncontrollable, which is apparently a Lizardmen overall battle mechanic, especially for larger creatures. Apparently an interpretation of Predatory Fighter.

Saurus, Saurus shields, Saurus Spears, Saurus spears with shields, Temple Guard

Skink javelin skirmishers, low ammo but high alpha damage due to sheer unit size. Aquatic is a thing.

Blowpipe Skins are more of a very fast kiting unit.

Chameleon Skinks super stealthy.

Pretty much all Skinks have poison.

All the Lizardmen heroes are in.

Kroxigars are in.

3 types of Cold Ones. Cold Ones, Feral Cold Ones, (Unmounted? They just wanted more dinosaurs in general so lots of unmounted variants for low-tier Dinosaurs with high berserk chance.) and Cold Ones with Spears.

Also Horned Cold Ones as a stronger less controllable version.

Fire Leech bolas confirmed.

In general they're really not being shy about adding new unit variants or stuff mentioned somewhere once in the lore. Makes me much more curious about the other faction rosters.

Bastiladon with aoe healing crystal* as a new unit.

Stegadon with giant ballista also in. Giant Blowpipes (Machinegun variant) also in.

No mention of Salamanders, melee Pteradons, Trogladons, or the spike salamanders. Most other things appear to be in. No mention of Mazdamundi getting his named stegadon mount, which is really weird.

*I saw someone else make the point that giving Lizardmen non-magical healing access means they can spend their winds on offensive magic instead, which does indeed fit the Slaan and TT army styling better.

madmac fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 16, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

madmac posted:

Livestream going, things mentioned so far, aside from the roster itself:

They've added new mechanics for spellcasting to better represent characters like Mazdamundi who are super-great at casting. He is apparently very very good at casting.

Fingers crossed that this'll retroactively apply to LL casters like Gelt, Morgiana, or Kemmler as well. Those guys could still use some love.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I wish shieldless infantry units would have some kind of advantage over the shielded versions, instead of just being worse in every way.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm at work and can't watch videos, are they actually showing gameplay of this stuff or just models/art?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

peer posted:

I wish shieldless infantry units would have some kind of advantage over the shielded versions, instead of just being worse in every way.

If nothing else they are very important in MP.

quote:

I'm at work and can't watch videos, are they actually showing gameplay of this stuff or just models/art?

They're just talking and have a few models on the table, the only really interesting part is the unit descriptions from the battle designer guy.

Faction Play summary from that guy:

Super-fast skirmish line with skinks and fast dinos, slow moving but very important Saurus core.

Feral Dinosaurs in general aren't something you want to commit early because they'll go wild very quickly.

Any Lizardmen unit can fall back and heal in battle (They're restyling Cold-Blooded as this) but it makes them very vulnerable. In general trying to encourage use of reserves and such for game 2. Pulling back your wounded units so they can regroup or heal before cycling them back into combat, that kind of thing.

madmac fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 16, 2017

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Perestroika posted:

Fingers crossed that this'll retroactively apply to LL casters like Gelt, Morgiana, or Kemmler as well. Those guys could still use some love.

Lore-wise it would make more sense if it didn't - Mazdamundi and Teclis (and Lord Kroak) are on a different tier of absurdly powerful Mage in the fiction and tabletop.

Gameplay-wise please god anything to make them more playable and actually fun to use.

2 SPOOKY fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 16, 2017

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/lizardmen-army-roster/

Actual roster posted, and Stegadon mounts are in, good.

For the inevitable Lord Pack, I'm thinking The Prophet of Sotek+Troglodons, Maybe the Ark of Sotek and/or Salamanders. Or Ripperdactyls, I guess. They're all ridden or tamed by Skinks so it fits the theme.

No new generic Lord types to add, though.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

madmac posted:

Any Lizardmen unit can fall back and heal in battle (They're restyling Cold-Blooded as this) but it makes them very vulnerable. In general trying to encourage use of reserves and such for game 2. Pulling back your wounded units so they can regroup or heal before cycling them back into combat, that kind of thing.

They also mentioned that Cold Blood is the way to clear Rampaging so its a sort of counter to that as well!

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm imagining something like premanipular Rome with dinosaurs--screen of hastati skinks, a line of saurus for melee, and a pair of gigantic t rexes because who needs spears anyhow

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Weird, looks like they're giving Lizarmen a more significant artillery lineup than they have in TT. Sad, but not surprised the Ark isn't in. :sigh: Other than that and Salamanders/Spiky Salamanders, what else is missing from the roster?

E: unpopular opinion, but I'm not a huge fan of giving them a passive area heal though we'll see how it works out.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

The Lizardmen roster seems really good, I wasn't expecting Kroxigors at all.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Mordja posted:

Weird, looks like they're giving Lizarmen a more significant artillery lineup than they have in TT. Sad, but not surprised the Ark isn't in. :sigh: Other than that and Salamanders/Spiky Salamanders, what else is missing from the roster?

Very little. Pretty much just Troglodons (Like Carnasaurs but weaker/spit poison and ridden by a Skink Oracle) and the melee Dactyl variant, unless I'm forgetting something.

quote:

E: unpopular opinion, but I'm not a huge fan of giving them a passive area heal though we'll see how it works out.

I have a feeling healing will be more common in the second game just to make Lore of Life/Vampires less supreme in MP and encourage using magic for more fun things than just healing your dudes endlessly.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mordja posted:

The Ripperdactyls which are basically a melee flying unit, like vargheist or what have you. Will definately be in the Lord Pack DLC.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I like having a bunch of feral dinosaurs because that's cool as gently caress.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm imagining an army of nothing but feral dinosaurs and then a bunch of empire guys blast them with guns like in the second jurassic park movie

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I am very disappointed that they have decided to leave out the infinite snake dispenser. :colbert:

Mordja posted:

Eh, I wouldn't really call it artillery heavy. The giant bow stegadon was never meant to be held back to shoot and the giant blowpipes had really short range. The only real artillery is probably the solar engine. It's too bad there are no salamanders/razordons though.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
One thing worth noting with the Lizardmen is that the Cold Ones will be AP, but regular Saurus will not be except for the Temple Guard. Likewise I don't think any of the skinks are AP.

It's basically an army that's almost entirely reliant on dinosaurs for AP damage, which I can get behind.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dinoreliance is something we can ALL get behind.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Safety Factor posted:

I am very disappointed that they have decided to leave out the infinite snake dispenser. :colbert:

Eh, I wouldn't really call it artillery heavy. The giant bow stegadon was never meant to be held back to shoot and the giant blowpipes had really short range. The only real artillery is probably the solar engine. It's too bad there are no salamanders/razordons though.

Oh, OK, for some reason I thought those units were made up whole cloth for the game.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've gotta say, i really really like the "artillery" that the Lizardmen gets because its like you got both artillery and a decent melee unit all wrapped up into one.

So what if the range isn't as long as other arty units, theese bastards can wade in and fight alongside their melee friends which makes them a ton more versatile! Its like the cygors but they seem to be even better than them at that specific job!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How should I build Mannfred because holy poo poo that's a lot of skills

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The dinosaurs with shooting attacks will probably be a lot more expensive to recruit and upkeep than the equivalent regular artillery, so if you choose to hold them back and just shoot you'll be paying out the rear end for mediocre mobile artillery.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
interesting take on the core lizard traits. cold blooded was a significant factor in TT but mechanically boring as hell; it could have been removed and lizards given a leadership buff and not much would have changed.

the feral thing sounds like it'd be appropriate for the beastmen to have, or at least certain units in the roster.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The dinosaurs with shooting attacks will probably be a lot more expensive to recruit and upkeep than the equivalent regular artillery, so if you choose to hold them back and just shoot you'll be paying out the rear end for mediocre mobile artillery.

Precisely! So send them in with your dudes, then maybe back out and start unloading where its most optimal! Agh i love the idea of theese dudes!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
For anyone worried about stegadons being artillery units, their art typically depicts them stomping the gently caress out of some poor idiots.

:black101:

The bow and blowpipes are really just for show. You want the big lugs charging.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

StashAugustine posted:

How should I build Mannfred because holy poo poo that's a lot of skills

There isn't really a wrong way. I use a 2 skill points per level mod and I usually just make him a disgusting melee monster who can also cast every spell, with some token points thrown into blue. I tend to ignore the red tree with Mannfred where I wouldn't with a regular vampire lord or Vlad.

If you don't use a similar mod, I think you can ignore the lore of vampires. Wind of Death is really good but it's far down the tree and regular necromancer heroes can get it.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Safety Factor posted:

For anyone worried about stegadons being artillery units, their art typically depicts them stomping the gently caress out of some poor idiots.

What would be great is if they could still fire while in melee without penalty. The giant bow has a crew, after all, and they aren't fighting. That way, you're encouraged to both have the giant dinosaur stomping dudes and also having the little dinosaurs shooting dudes

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Kaza42 posted:

What would be great is if they could still fire while in melee without penalty. The giant bow has a crew, after all, and they aren't fighting. That way, you're encouraged to both have the giant dinosaur stomping dudes and also having the little dinosaurs shooting dudes

I expect it will be basically a dinosaur version of an Arachnarok.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I am saddened by the lack of snake dispensers on that roster :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Safety Factor posted:

To be fair, Warhammer art typically shows everyone and everything charging into a giant scrum, if it's a battle scene.

• Locked thread