Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

We are in an era of such extreme polarization that no one is ever going to receive the benefit of the doubt ever again.

I think polarization is justified when one of the sides is Donald Trump, his administration, and his supporters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Murgos posted:

The Washington Post article I read was pretty explicit that the source was a forgeign shared intel and not to be distributed.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

They may have the authority to disclose whatever they want, but foreign intel agencies also have the authority to tell us to eat a bag of dicks the next time we want to work with them.

Yes - if that is in fact what happened. The people in the room deny it. I had said we'll probably never know, but on second thought they'll probably get dragged in front of a congressional select committee closed session to testify. I doubt it will amount to much.

The possibility that sort of reconciles both the accusations and denials would be that the information was technically derived from something compartmented, but it was "sanitized" on the fly by Trump. (E.g. the difference between "Our mole in the Elbonian cabinet told us they're working on a new plane" vs."The Elbonians are working on a new plane"). This is super against the rules for non-OCAs (regular peons with access to the compartment can do the same thing, but not on the fly - they have to submit requests and get the release reviewed and so forth). But OCAs can do it. In any case I have zero actual knowledge of the information involved and this is purely uninformed speculation.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Just FYI the subtitle on CSPAM's Trumpchat thread is RED DON

Also Powers Boothe is dead, what a eerie coincidence

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I try to keep an even keel and remember all the dumb poo poo Republicans said about Obama and remember the Dems aren't above the same. but Trump's presentation of information and the general vortex of dumb poo poo and questionable actions with foreign powers makes a conspiratorial deep end look real inviting.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

chitoryu12 posted:

I think polarization is justified when one of the sides is Donald Trump, his administration, and his supporters.

I'm not saying it is or isn't, but given the kind of constant barking from the opposition we've seen over the past 16 years, how can anyone say that there is anything resembling good faith political opposition in the United States any more? Or have we forgotten that Dubya was Literally Hitler?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I was watching some 80s comedy and everything they're saying about Reagan is what's being said about Trump. I saw a tweet about Trump being the first US president with worse English than the French one, but this is what I did for Dubya, only with more detail (I used to teach English to adult forriners, if there was ever a "fun" or goof-off lesson, students would love it when I gave them one of his speeches and asked them to correct the English. Yes, not every speech was applicable. No, there wasn't just one. I had a page with paragraphs out of like 3 different speeches)

In short, comedy is lazy, politicians will catch flak from someone always, taking people down a peg often gets a laugh, sky blue, water wet, fire hot, more at 11

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just hope it didn't result in some local contacts in Syria being rounded up and having their nuts attached to car batteries. :smith:

Although there's probably a good chance of that happening in that area regardless.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

A.o.D. posted:

Or have we forgotten that Dubya was Literally Hitler?

Have you seen his paintings?

More to the point, Dubya did get you and some of us involved into two decade+ wars, one of which was entirely pointless and so mismanaged it gave us ISIS. Obama was a weak president who kinda normalized drone warfare for dems and didn't manage to do poo poo, but as far as republican screeching, it was all Muslim this, Kenyan that and other frivolous bullshit.

Meanwhile, Trump is basically truth is stranger than fiction character.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

simplefish posted:

I was watching some 80s comedy and everything they're saying about Reagan is what's being said about Trump. I saw a tweet about Trump being the first US president with worse English than the French one, but this is what I did for Dubya, only with more detail (I used to teach English to adult forriners, if there was ever a "fun" or goof-off lesson, students would love it when I gave them one of his speeches and asked them to correct the English. Yes, not every speech was applicable. No, there wasn't just one. I had a page with paragraphs out of like 3 different speeches)

In short, comedy is lazy, politicians will catch flak from someone always, taking people down a peg often gets a laugh, sky blue, water wet, fire hot, more at 11

I wouldn't get all soothed just because the same things people are saying about the current terrible president were also said about the worst president of the post war era.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I'm not saying anyone worthy of criticism is somehow above reproach just because they belong to a group that's an easy or common target. But maybe filter our reactions a little and realise this isn't the first person in a similar position to face this type of criticism. For me, the sky isn't falling, but it's not all sunshine and rainbows either

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010
Because every product out of MacAir/Boeing STL gets an official The Arch Shot:

click to en-hugify

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

wkarma posted:

Because every product out of MacAir/Boeing STL gets an official The Arch Shot:

click to en-hugify

"you thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?"

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

priznat posted:

"you thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?"

Suddenly hits me, the next ace combat game ought to have a mission in St. Louis.

Getting the sense that this plane is "Boeing" mostly in name, and primarily made by Saab.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

And it's this reasoning that makes everything a loving farce

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

Mortabis posted:

Getting the sense that this plane is "Boeing" mostly in name, and primarily made by Saab.

You'd be wrong. They haven't said what the exact work share is, but have announced that final assembly will be in St Louis.

quote:

A spokeswoman for Boeing confirmed that Saab is in charge of development and production of the aft fuselage, but that a "fair amount" of production work would be done by Boeing and its suppliers.

For the sake of comparison, Northrop builds the aft and center fuselage sections of the Super Hornet for roughly ~40% of the workshare.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Captain von Trapp posted:

The possibility that sort of reconciles both the accusations and denials would be that the information was technically derived from something compartmented, but it was "sanitized" on the fly by Trump. (E.g. the difference between "Our mole in the Elbonian cabinet told us they're working on a new plane" vs."The Elbonians are working on a new plane"). This is super against the rules for non-OCAs (regular peons with access to the compartment can do the same thing, but not on the fly - they have to submit requests and get the release reviewed and so forth). But OCAs can do it. In any case I have zero actual knowledge of the information involved and this is purely uninformed speculation.
Does anything about Donald Trump give you the impression that he can successfully and consciously sanitize an intelligence summary on the fly in such a way that it protects sources and methods? The man barely reads, for Christ's sake. I am 100% convinced he spouted off some new fact he learned because he wanted to sound important and successful, and in the process, almost certainly compromised foreign intelligence sources. Because even knowing what we know ("the Elbonians are working on a new plane") can tell you shockingly granular things about our sources when combined with other intel.

Double posting, but this is a good lesson for drone enthusiasts. This weapon is pretty literally a single-use suicide drone, and while fact it works very well, it shows that the concept is really not a new one. Where drones make the real difference is the ISR that spots the tank in the first place.
*autistic screeching*

Nebakenezzer posted:

I always figured Trump would *accidentally* let something important slip, kinda like Lyndon Johnson and the SR-71
Nah, he's going to be more like Andrew J. May (in more ways than one.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

"I'm a unicorn!"

Speaking of weird-nosed airplanes:

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Yes - if that is in fact what happened. The people in the room deny it. I had said we'll probably never know, but on second thought they'll probably get dragged in front of a congressional select committee closed session to testify. I doubt it will amount to much.

The people in the room may not have leaked, but the explanation going around is that the very moment the Russians left the Oval Office, the security types all ran to their offices and called their equivalents in the CIA to give them a heads up on what had just been divulged and to execute any contingency plans they may have.

So there are people not in the room who know exactly what was said and may be fed up with that level of bullshit enough to leak.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cat Mattress posted:

"I'm a unicorn!"

Speaking of weird-nosed airplanes:

Breguet Atlantique?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nebakenezzer posted:

Breguet Atlantique?

Atlantique 2, yes. A pretty good plane all-around, normally meant for ASW but it's also decent at ISR and it doubles as a light bomber in a pinch. But it surprised me the first time I saw that the nose cone was a window and there was some sort of "lower cockpit" behind it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

TTerrible posted:

I'm hearing rumours it was something to do with the UK so the likelihood of us telling the US to eat a bag of dicks is vanishingly small.

More crumbs from the table master. :britain:

I was also curious enought to go looking.

Couldn't find a specific, but the concensus seems to be that it was from 'a valued Middle Eastern ally'. Which would make sense as a source.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hey dickheads:

If you want to talk post-Cold War domestic US politics there's another dumpster fire thread for that here in TFR. Yes, this thread is still in the gun forum last I checked.

I tend to use a fairly light hand on the derails in this thread as far as poo poo like what kind of crazy the DPRK is doing today and modern military procurement goes, but let's keep the questions of who the worst US president is out of it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Worst president was Pierce or Buchanan, but both predate the cold war and the civil war.

On a less snarky note, the latest Trump episode reminds me of Kennedy's missile gap claims. Ike knew the info behind the claims was wrong but kept mum until after Kennedy was elected. Are there other episodes that'd illustrate Eisenhower as a class act?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hey dickheads:

If you want to talk post-Cold War domestic US politics there's another dumpster fire thread for that here in TFR. Yes, this thread is still in the gun forum last I checked.

I tend to use a fairly light hand on the derails in this thread as far as poo poo like what kind of crazy the DPRK is doing today and modern military procurement goes, but let's keep the questions of who the worst US president is out of it.

Sorry. With the crossover in posters and subjects with that thread, the AI aviation thread etc I forget which one I'm reading half the time. :v:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

So I started wondering what the current tank force of the DPRK looks like and a few wikipedia entries later ended up reading about William F. Dean.. At the outbreak of Korea Dean was the guy given the unenviable duty of commanding the handful of troops that had to fight the retreating action down the peninsula.

During the battle of Taejon he lost the ability to maintain contact with his forces so said gently caress it and joined the tank hunters who were trying out the new, upgraded bazookas. Oh, and he personally killed a T-34 with a hand grenade. I can't find the details on that (get a grenade in a hatch, or "just" a mobility kill hosed up the tracks kind of situation) but still, you know poo poo's hosed when a major general is personally going tank hunting and getting kills. :stare:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Reportedly, when he was being given the MoH and other accolades he basically responded that it didn't make sense to him, because if a general is running around getting into firefights and blowing up tanks, it means they really hosed up.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

Atlantique 2, yes. A pretty good plane all-around, normally meant for ASW but it's also decent at ISR and it doubles as a light bomber in a pinch. But it surprised me the first time I saw that the nose cone was a window and there was some sort of "lower cockpit" behind it.
Also the brits didn't want it, then spent a billion pounds on the nimrod 4 and got nothing.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cyrano4747 posted:

So I started wondering what the current tank force of the DPRK looks like and a few wikipedia entries later ended up reading about William F. Dean.. At the outbreak of Korea Dean was the guy given the unenviable duty of commanding the handful of troops that had to fight the retreating action down the peninsula.

I've wondered about that too. From what I've read, best Korea has "developed" (more likely, produced locally) its own tanks - one's a copy of the T-62, and they've also developed their own MBT, which sounds like a copy of the T-72/Type 88 (a Chinese take on the T-72.) What condition these tanks are in, and how much practice they get are good questions, but if it follows the trend elsewhere the answer is "pretty bad" and "not much."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

Worst president was Pierce or Buchanan, but both predate the cold war and the civil war.
I'm pretty sure the objectively worst president was Harrison who managed to give himself pneumonia during the inauguration and die less than a month into his term. :v:

For content, I only today learned about the term Finlandization, meaning to bully a smaller country into accepting a larger country's foreign policy. So named because of how much influence the soviet union had over Finnish foreign politics during the cold war. For instance a lot of literature critical of Soviet was made unavailable in Finland under pressure from Soviet diplomats, and newspapers had to self-censor articles that might have angered the bear in the east.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 16, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm pretty sure the objectively worst president was Harrison who managed to give himself pneumonia during the inauguration and die less than a month into his term.

His death did less damage to the nation than some other presidents' lives did.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
no, worst president is a tie between Jackson and FDR. No contest. (Best was Coolidge)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

no, worst president is a tie between Jackson and FDR. No contest. (Best was Coolidge)

FDR is pretty cool, man.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm pretty sure the objectively worst president was Harrison who managed to give himself pneumonia during the inauguration and die less than a month into his term.

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Pneumonia Real Hahahaha Nigga Put On A Coat Like Nigga Just Go Inside Haha

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

mlmp08 posted:

FDR is pretty cool, man.

He put Japanese people in camps. Also he didn't much respect the limits of his own authority.

Truman was cool.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mortabis posted:

what

Also it was Buchanan.

...possibly grant

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

mlmp08 posted:

Reportedly, when he was being given the MoH and other accolades he basically responded that it didn't make sense to him, because if a general is running around getting into firefights and blowing up tanks, it means they really hosed up.

Apparently he was proud of the CIB he got despite being a general.

RandomPauI posted:

Reliable sources inform me that, seeing a chance to move their progenitors up a spot, their families heavily contributed in the last election.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The start of Korea was definitely a giant mess. And I don't think that little blurb came up in Coldest Winter. Don't remember it at least.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

During the battle of Taejon he lost the ability to maintain contact with his forces so said gently caress it and joined the tank hunters who were trying out the new, upgraded bazookas. Oh, and he personally killed a T-34 with a hand grenade. I can't find the details on that (get a grenade in a hatch, or "just" a mobility kill hosed up the tracks kind of situation) but still, you know poo poo's hosed when a major general is personally going tank hunting and getting kills. :stare:

As much as the fall of North Korea would be an absolute humanitarian shitshow for decades, I really want to find out whats going on in there. What have they built and done. :stare:

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Alaan posted:

The start of Korea was definitely a giant mess. And I don't think that little blurb came up in Coldest Winter. Don't remember it at least.

How is Coldest Winter? It was lying around my father's bookshelf last time I was visiting so I borrowed it and figure I'll start it at some point in the next couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Depressing.