Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I was half of an offsetting 2 minor penalty last night. Other guy started skating around calling me and the rest of our team a bunch of faggots repeatedly. When I asked the ref if he was going to call anything for yelling homophobic slurs, especially with kids around, he told me to "get the gently caress in the box."

Some people :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Just air your stuff out outside dudes

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

Tried it, doesn't work in high humidity. It just stews longer and gets worse.

Or in the winter it freezes solid.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Ginette Reno posted:

I, too, enjoy actual mold of many shapes, colors and varieties in my gear.

(I live in seattle dude - I literally couldn't do this til July 5th or later)

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I was half of an offsetting 2 minor penalty last night. Other guy started skating around calling me and the rest of our team a bunch of faggots repeatedly. When I asked the ref if he was going to call anything for yelling homophobic slurs, especially with kids around, he told me to "get the gently caress in the box."

What a bunch of classy fellows. This is part of the reason why I'm planning on joining a Chicago Gay Hockey Association league once I get enough Rat Hockey experience under my belt. :sigh:

Ginette Reno posted:

I live on the third floor and our deck sometimes gets windy enough to blow our big potted plants over, so there's no way I'm letting my gear flap in the breeze. I air my gear out in the spare bathroom immediately after every practice and I just got a Glade Plug-In to cover up the hockey stink.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I mean weather dependent of course but it works well enough for me in Tennessee. I wash my stuff now and then but usually an afternoon on my deck gets rid of both the stink and the sweat.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pegboard in the garage works here in CA for 10 months of the year. When it's rainy, I just point a box fan at it to help it dry out.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

What a bunch of classy fellows. This is part of the reason why I'm planning on joining a Chicago Gay Hockey Association league once I get enough Rat Hockey experience under my belt. :sigh:

The gays were actually the worst team to play against here. Once they knew us it got better but the league got instantly chippier with them.

It doesn't make it right but you're the one guy the official doesn't want to hear from. Let your team fight that battle. You go to the box.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I just hang my gear up in the basement as soon as I get home and wash the bottom layer every few games. The key is getting it all out and hung up as soon as you get home.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I hang all protective gear ASAP from getting home and I wash jersey/socks/jock/baselayer stuff as soon as I'm done with that.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't have space in my flat, so I just air my poo poo out as best I can and wash it every few weeks in the bath when I notice the smell.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
I just played 2 games bookending a bout of what was probably food poisining, tue-wed-thurs.
On wednesday I thought I wanted to die, having to make the choice between the technicolor yawn or making GBS threads water multiple times.

totals: 6G 4A. Ive never been so on.

I don't know if I should never eat at the same place again or always eat at the same place again? I'm very confused right now.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Finally broke down and got ordered my first non-wood stick, a Bauer S170. Got the text yesterday that it had arrived and was excited to get home and mess with it. It was almost like an early Christmas.

Got home, son had it opened, unwrapped, and was stick handling on the shooting pad. :nyd: Dude, my old hockey sticks are more than twice your age and only slightly less important!

EvilTwig posted:

I don't know if I should never eat at the same place again or always eat at the same place again? I'm very confused right now.

Hmmm... Maybe time it before important games? Get a nurse friend to hook you up with an IV and fluids after?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I've been playing better hockey recently, both in net and skating out.

I've also been getting a fuckton more bruises and bumps, the best of which was a 10 foot upper league clapper to the top of my knee between my slipping thigh guard and pants. Gave me dead leg for the rest of the game.

There must be a ratio of ability to bruising.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Bootcha posted:

I've been playing better hockey recently, both in net and skating out.

I've also been getting a fuckton more bruises and bumps, the best of which was a 10 foot upper league clapper to the top of my knee between my slipping thigh guard and pants. Gave me dead leg for the rest of the game.

There must be a ratio of ability to bruising.

Get really big bruises checked to make sure you don't develop blood clots, a guy I know almost died after a slap shot off his calf that led to a clot in his lung

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What's the best way to tip a shot up that's coming in ice level? I'm guessing I just need to get my blade angle a bit more shallow. Had about two good tips last night but none went in. First went way above the net and the other one ricocheted to the corner with no elevation.

I'm terrible at passing and shooting but I can screen and forecheck so I guess that's my job skating out.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

On the ice open your blade to tip it up, high up bat it down.

Deflections are all timing so the only way you're getting better is with practice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you don't do drop ins, you can usually get a few attempts in during warms up before the game. When you goalie is loving off in the corner just stand to one side of the net and try to deflect teammate shots.

This assumes your teammates don't wind up for a weber-class clapper into the glass every single attempt.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

xzzy posted:

This assumes your teammates don't wind up for a weber-class clapper into the glass every single attempt.

Unfortunately this is beerleague.txt for my team.

Actually I got put on the "over 40" team and it's super laid back and fun. They kept asking me where my grey hair was and I think I easily have 20 years on the whole team. That's what happens when they run out of goalie spots but is super chill hockey and everybody is out there to have fun.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You should get a cheap grey wig and show up wearing it sometime.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

xzzy posted:

You should get a cheap grey wig and show up wearing it sometime.

Around Christmas I want to tape a santa hat to my helmet and wear a big fake grey beard.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Funny you say that.

I was out of town for the week of Christmas when my team had a game. It was against a notorious team full of ringers. The worst offender scored something like 5 goals and was wearing a Santa hat over his helmet. On his second hat trick, he was celebrating and skated by one of my teammates who ripped the hat off and tossed it over the glass as he skated by. A fight ensued because why wouldn't it.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Verman posted:

Funny you say that.

I was out of town for the week of Christmas when my team had a game. It was against a notorious team full of ringers. The worst offender scored something like 5 goals and was wearing a Santa hat over his helmet. On his second hat trick, he was celebrating and skated by one of my teammates who ripped the hat off and tossed it over the glass as he skated by. A fight ensued because why wouldn't it.

I'd beat up your team mate too, that's a dick move

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
gently caress anyone who scores six goals in a game and especially gently caress them if they're still celebrating.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Celly Claus gets no respect.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

If you wear a Santa hat to drop-in and celebrate your sixth goal, you are hilarious.

If you wear a Santa hat to a beer league game and celebrate your sixth goal you are an rear end in a top hat.

HTH

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

How would you not get an unsportsmanlike for that kind of poo poo in an officiated game?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
They both got unsportsmanlike penalties. Ours for tossing the hat and the other guy for fighting about it. Part of me wishes I was there to see it.

Its almost right up there with one of my guys on a team years ago getting slashed and hooked from behind. When the stick got caught under his arm the trailer let it go to avoid a penalty. My teammate continued skating behind the net and took said players stick and javelin tossed it up into the netting over the glass. They had to use a ladder after the game to get it down. My teammate got a game misconduct and a 1 game suspension for it but It was worth the laughter at the time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I was getting hooked like that before and just javelined his stick down the ice, but I didn't get a penalty shockingly. Throwing it into the net is loving great though and well worth the vacation.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just realized the reason I'm playing good recently.

I'm on the Phil Kessel diet. Hotdogs.

Will confirm later tonight.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

It's 90 degrees out so that means it's time to break out the Corona's and the shooting pad in the driveway to practice wristers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's 90 degrees out so now my glasses fog whenever I hit the bench and I can't see the game for the first 5 seconds of each shift.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

It has never been 90 degrees out where I live, but the rink guys still can't get the freeze right in the currently 12 degree Celcius weather so it's a crapshoot whether you're going to be on sludge or glass

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

I was getting hooked like that before and just javelined his stick down the ice, but I didn't get a penalty shockingly. Throwing it into the net is loving great though and well worth the vacation.

I had a guy that I had been battling with one game and he decided the best way to settle it was chop my stick as hard as he could the next time we were battling for a puck. He broke my stick clean in half and I decided that wasn't really fair. So I wrestled his stick out of his hands and decided that now it was my stick for the rest of the play. It didn't last long though because the ref blew the whistle and we both got penalties but I did follow that up with a javelin toss that didn't get me a an additional minor penalty on top of everything. I really wanted to break that guys stick too just as sort of an eye for an eye kind of thing since he purposely tried and succeeded to break mine but I held off. I figured I probably would get tossed for that if I wound up and broke it over the net or something after the whistle. I did get two more penalties later for checking that guy. Not dirty, within the course of play, but beer league illegal. I was loving pissed though. Sticks are expensive. Everybody that plays knows that and to intentionally break someone else's is a major dick move.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kessel Diet confirmed. Eat Hotdogs. Play better.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Like how many hot dogs are we talking?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The only time i've had someone else break my stick so far is when i got the stick jammed in the boards and another guy who was right behind me tried to jump it and ended up skating through it. He did a flip, my stick snapped, i picked it up, skated to the bench, threw it down the changing room corridor in anger.

Good times.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

xzzy posted:

It's 90 degrees out so now my glasses fog whenever I hit the bench and I can't see the game for the first 5 seconds of each shift.

Contacts yo.
Switched to them in my first season cause I couldn't stand the glasses-under-cage routine.
Game days are literally the only time I ever wear em.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I lost 6 out of 8 pucks in the underbrush last night. Elevation is great but accuracy has suffered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

calandryll posted:

Like how many hot dogs are we talking?

Not too many, or you'll be Pavel Brendl