Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

tofes posted:

I colonized a gaia world and it turned out to be a holy world (oops)

Now a fallen empire is coming to kill me, is there anything I can do?
Give in to their war demands.

I think most of us have made that mistake once. I know I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Xarn posted:

Seriously, what was the last time you went "yes, now I have lvl 4 shields instead of lvl 3 shields"? Never? Me neither.

I do this with every single tech, on every playthrough. honestly if you're not sperging because you've made your numbers a tiny bit bigger what are you doing playing a 4x?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

tofes posted:

I colonized a gaia world and it turned out to be a holy world (oops)

Now a fallen empire is coming to kill me, is there anything I can do?

Give up and accept humiliation and that planet lost. Or fight them and take all of their poo poo. It's up to you.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I don't suppose there's any scope like planet unique and empire unique but for the entire galaxy? So you can have Civ-style wonders? I'd presume not or we'd have seen such mods already. I have a couple of notions about how to implement it without that but it'd probably involve a good deal more use of scopes and conditionals that could get annoying to mod.

Might take a poke at it tomorrow though. First wonder on the table: The Pyramids. Doing the same as in Civ, serving as grain silos and increasing the planet's food. :drcarson:

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Did they mention what their general focus is on now after Adams?

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
LP starts this friday. For real this time.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/864403301860814848

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Does the fleet designer thing mean I will no longer have to click 10 times just to schedule new batch of cruisers, instead being able to tell 3 spaceports "make me 10 cruisers, schedule it yourself"? Because if so, I need it yesterday :v:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I'm not sure about this new border system. It sounds annoying if we keep the current number of stars and we have to manually claim all of them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It sounds great to me. The current system is super arcane. What am I going to lose if I disband this frontier outpost? gently caress if anyone knows lmao

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

There's also a new beta, codename "Bradbury", for MP only. You get a bonus portrait for participating:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

canepazzo posted:

There's also a new beta, codename "Bradbury", for MP only. You get a bonus portrait for participating:

Looks like a bucktoothed crustacean

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Sloober posted:

Looks like a bucktoothed crustacean

Gotta introduce a new "dweeb" trait for races.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

That's really cool. It's a mantis shrimp.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What are good civic/ethos starts nowadays? Is Democracy still overwhelmingly the best option? I feel like Mining Guilds + Functional Architecture for fast development is not nearly as good as I want it to be but this is the part of games I am easily the worst at.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

quick question: did they ever fix the mod achievement notification?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So did they fix the hot fix to actually fix ethos poo poo?

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Baronjutter posted:

So did they fix the hot fix to actually fix ethos poo poo?

Nope. It's just the 1.6.1 beta with the acknowledgement in the patch notes that AI still does some really stupid building stuff, just *less* of it.

Either way, this is the kind of patch I'll happily take, because it is legitimately a step forward.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

That's really cool. It's a mantis shrimp.

Fanatical Murder Shrimps going round the galaxy punching planets into oblivion, yes please.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

The Shortest Path posted:

What are good civic/ethos starts nowadays? Is Democracy still overwhelmingly the best option? I feel like Mining Guilds + Functional Architecture for fast development is not nearly as good as I want it to be but this is the part of games I am easily the worst at.
Yeah democracy is best, getting a boatload of free influence is way better than anything the other governments have to offer. Traits seem less important, agrarian idyll is probably the strongest one to start out with, but mining guilds is the best unrestricted one. I like meritocracy a lot but half the fun of the early game is in anomalies so I just like that it speeds up how early you can research them. I usually go with mining guilds, and then pick the second one to be thematic with whatever species I'm playing that game.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

misguided rage posted:

Traits seem less important, agrarian idyll is probably the strongest one to start out with, but mining guilds is the best unrestricted one.

Agrarian Idyll is amazing, because among other things it means sectors will build unity buildings.

In 1.6.0 (haven't checked 1.6.1 yet), you could start as pacifist with agrarian idyll, shift out of pacifist and still keep the civic, which was great.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

Cease to Hope posted:

as for ethos, the Default Good Build is some mix of egalitarian/militarist/spiritualist/materialist. that plays like most 4X games: expand, conquer your first neighbor or two, vassalize everyone else, win. always give other aliens full citizenship and social welfare, and you won't have any trouble with revolts from conquering people. militarist is all good if you get in fights, egalitarian is more minerals and minerals are the Do Things resource, spiritualist helps with stability, materialist helps you get robots soon enough that you can use them to jumpstart your early growth.

xenophile isn't bad but it doesn't really do anything. xenophobe gives you control of more space, which is good, but at the cost of not being able to give conquered aliens full citizenship (and thus irritating the egalitarian faction), which means you will occasionally have revolt problems. pacifist is super stable and gets a boost on seeing ascension perks if you want to consume all of the new content, but it means you need to expand by declaring liberation wars then immediately diplovassalizing the liberated subnation - you'll be familiar with strats like this if you play EU4, but it is slower and a bit harder than just conquering people. authoritarian is just plain bad. slaves give you lots of minerals, but they mean your civ is relatively unstable even on a good day. assimilating aliens is rough.

for your government, you'll almost always want a diplomacy. it gives you a ton of extra influence - influence can be hard to come by otherwise - and it spawns the egalitarian faction, which is easy to satisfy because you already want to give them everything they want.

mining guilds are really good. architecture is okay. other good ones are the militarist civic that gives more border range, +1 monthly influence civic, the +1 leader skill civic (Meritocratic Promotion or something like that), the +2 core planets civic, the reduced consumer good cost civic (probably stronger than architecture in the long run, but doesn't help you bootstrap early game), and the ship firing speed civic. extremely adaptable/mechanist is good for a strategy that involves fast early colonization.

there are some good civics tied to being pacifist or authoritarian or not a democracy, like Agrarian Idyll, Inward Perfection, Aristocratic Elite, and Philosopher King (this is a unity civic in disguise), but pacifism requires an odd playstyle and authoritarian is really bad right now.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 16, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

misguided rage posted:

Yeah democracy is best, getting a boatload of free influence is way better than anything the other governments have to offer. Traits seem less important, agrarian idyll is probably the strongest one to start out with, but mining guilds is the best unrestricted one. I like meritocracy a lot but half the fun of the early game is in anomalies so I just like that it speeds up how early you can research them. I usually go with mining guilds, and then pick the second one to be thematic with whatever species I'm playing that game.

Although it should be stated that at some point, Mining Guilds becomes way worse than the -20% Consumer Goods one. Once you start pushing into the late game, it's absolutely worth it to swap them out.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Although it should be stated that at some point, Mining Guilds becomes way worse than the -20% Consumer Goods one. Once you start pushing into the late game, it's absolutely worth it to swap them out.

I have constantly watched for a practical inflection point on this and it never happens. It always murders my mineral income, whether I'm playing tall or going for galaxy conquest.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

misguided rage posted:

Yeah democracy is best, getting a boatload of free influence is way better than anything the other governments have to offer.

Yes and no. Some of the leader agendas are really, really good, and would be worth trading off the influence income if you could choose to always have them. The problem is that sometimes you get +10% minerals or unity and sometimes you get +10% Xenophile Ethics Attraction or -10% military station build cost.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The missions are kind of silly past the early game though. Like you get a guy with mining mandate with zero places to put mines in your territory and it's just WELP.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PittTheElder posted:

Mining Guilds is +10% minerals. Environmentalist is -20% consumer goods. For Environmentalist to pull ahead your consumer goods needs would have to be 50% of your mineral usage. I've never come close to that.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Welp, just wanted to engage 500k fleet power doomstack of an AE with my own 500k fleet power doom stack and found out that the ship AI completely shits itself once your fleet is sufficiently large. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The missions are kind of silly past the early game though. Like you get a guy with mining mandate with zero places to put mines in your territory and it's just WELP.

If they haven't changed this, you can always tear down your own mines and replace them. Last time this happened to me, it still counted towards the mandate. :v:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Xarn posted:

Welp, just wanted to engage 500k fleet power doomstack of an AE with my own 500k fleet power doom stack and found out that the ship AI completely shits itself once your fleet is sufficiently large. :v:
I don't think I was ever close to such a huge fleet power :aaaaa:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I like the idea behind the habitable asteroids mod, but holy poo poo 17 space asteroids? Bigger than my starting planet? I don't think so. Would it be trivial to edit this mod so that the largest asteroid is 9 spaces?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Surely you'd be better off getting a bigger homeworlds mod, such that your home isn't outclassed? Those exist too, you know.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodly posted:

Surely you'd be better off getting a bigger homeworlds mod, such that your home isn't outclassed? Those exist too, you know.

nooooooo thank you, I think I fixed it though and it seems as simple as changing two numbers in the mod zip file

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Take both! I often end up taking the consumer goods civic as my third option, once I get the research that opens it up.

I like the +2 core world civic a lot right now, and I am somebody who dislikes micromanaging planets. At the start, going from 3 to 5 core systems is pretty big. It lets you grab more territory during the part of the game that really matters. I usually don't sectorize until after mastery of nature, letting me fill the buildings how I want before handing it off. I'll definitely reform out that civic later though, once those extra core worlds aren't necessary.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

So not being able to build frontier hospitals on gaia worlds, is that a bug/holdover from when they increased habitability or some intentional choice I don't understand?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Does anyone have any tips for dealing with an Awakened Empire, particularly in the context of the Improved Space Battles mod? I may have to deal with one that looks to take my territory yet, their fleet power is overwhelming compared to mind. Is there anything I can do or should I just cave to their demands? I wondered if you could become a satellite and build up a fleet but I don't know if it is that easy.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
Is their any plan for a text editor or something for species bio? I can only type like two paragraphs before I have to just guess what I'm typing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zig-Zag posted:

Is their any plan for a text editor or something for species bio? I can only type like two paragraphs before I have to just guess what I'm typing.

You do know you can just type into everything you want and copy your text over? I stopped typing into the game windows ages ago, instead I write my species bio in Word and just copy it over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Mondian posted:

So not being able to build frontier hospitals on gaia worlds, is that a bug/holdover from when they increased habitability or some intentional choice I don't understand?
It's gotta be a holdover, as yeah, it makes no sense now.

• Locked thread