Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
No cable when you move in?

Look man, you accomplished a lot here. It was a great thread. But nobody will judge you if you just abandon the place, file bankruptcy, and go find a nice cable-ready apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

what's wrong with di-- :suicide:

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I do work exclusively from home, so no internet is a big problem. I guess there's a coworking place nearby I could check out worse-case. I'm still confident we'll get it resolved in time!

Home inspection for the current place tomorrow. Been running around fixing little things.

Up stairs lights are all in now. There's only a couple things left on the electrician's list, and they all require someone else doing something first. (hot water heaters, range fan, etc).

I think we have A/C now, there were tags saying they were charged up with refrigerant, but I didn't dare try it.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Forgot pictures in my last post!

Should I be disappointed that we essentially filled the panel? Barely any room for easy expansion later.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I thought many places required a few open ports for panels. Don't know where I came up with that

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Gounads posted:

Should I be disappointed that we essentially filled the panel? Barely any room for easy expansion later.

It's not too hard to replace two adjacent breakers with a tandem breaker, to free up a slot or two for a subpanel.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Tile started yesterday, but I forgot my key when I went over so couldn't get a good photo.

Somehow, our countertops didn't get ordered and they're backorder till mid June. We're heading down today to look at a bunch of slabs they have to see if we like any of them. Two theories:

Builder waited to order until he got this most recent check because he can't plan ahead.
Kitchen dude hosed up (he's been unreliable)

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Popped in yesterday and hardwoods were going in.

Home inspection on current house went pretty good. About the number of things I was expecting.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Hardwoods almost done yesterday.
Cable company still has no info for me and can't tell me who I need to talk with to find out.

And on the selling side...

Buyer's contractor coming to current house on Sunday to give estimate on sistering some joists to get around some old termite/ant damage.

My opinion: I can't shove a screwdriver into the wood any significant amount, so they're solid. It's been like this for over 20 years and doesn't need to be fixed. So gently caress you if you want money off for it.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

Gounads posted:

Somehow, our countertops didn't get ordered and they're backorder till mid June. We're heading down today to look at a bunch of slabs they have to see if we like any of them. Two theories:

Builder waited to order until he got this most recent check because he can't plan ahead.
Kitchen dude hosed up (he's been unreliable)

We just did a new kitchen, and even though we had picked out the granite and they had the drawings for weeks (maybe months) beforehand, they still waited until the cabinets were fully installed to come measure everything. And in our case, it was about 2 weeks after cabinet install before they could measure and another 2-3 weeks between measuring and installation.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PleasusChrist posted:

We just did a new kitchen, and even though we had picked out the granite and they had the drawings for weeks (maybe months) beforehand, they still waited until the cabinets were fully installed to come measure everything. And in our case, it was about 2 weeks after cabinet install before they could measure and another 2-3 weeks between measuring and installation.

Honestly, that's probably for the best to measure after the cabinets are installed rather than hoping everything matches the numbers in the plan. Of course a month from cabinet installation to countertop installation is crazy.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It's nothing for a cabinet to be off a quarter inch. It's everything if the granite countertop is off a sixteenth. I don't blame them.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I see no good reason you couldn't order the slab ahead of time.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Oh cable company...

Been calling every day, never any new info that they know about.

I look online, nothing.
I get in their webchat

me > Looking for an update on my install.
cable > blah blah blah. I have the appointment for tomorrow 8-9am
me > What? I wasn't told about that.

I look online, it's listed now.

me > I'm trying to understand what happened. Did you just set up that appointment or was it existing?
cable > Just set this up

So this guy just made a new installation appointment without understanding what was going on. gently caress it. I'm going to show up and try to get answers from the guy that shows up. Maybe I can at least get a phone number to the local dispatch office.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm sure you have a wealth of competitors doing business in your area :suicide:

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Potato Salad posted:

I'm sure you have a wealth of competitors doing business in your area :suicide:

YES! 1-2 bars, depending on where you stand, of 4g coverage!

I get a call from cable company asking to confirm appointment for "Tomorrow, Tuesday, January 19th at 8 am". I press "1" for confirm and the reply is "AN ERROR HAS OCCURED" with a swift hangup.

So I call them up, talk to a person. They did confirm the appointment and confirmed there was a paper based work-order for the new tap that she couldn't look up (for obvious reason). She did say there would be a lock on the account if it hadn't happened yet and they wouldn't be able to make an install appointment. I was there Sat morning, no new tap. Maybe I got lucky with a weekend install. More likely their systems are just hosed and I'll waste an hour tomorrow morning.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gounads posted:

It is an absolute certainty their systems are perpetually on fire and I'll waste an hour tomorrow morning and three hours later next week.

Fixed the post, if your provider is TWC or Comcast residential.

Godspeed.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
If they send a contractor and you're not there, they'll mark it as done and leave. If you are there, you'll have to watch to make sure they tap the right line and run it to the right place. Otherwise it'll end up worse (Yes, they'll find a way to make it worse tab not hooked up).

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
My install wasn't too bad all things considered. Just pulled it into the basement, asked for ~20 feet of cable. He gave me..10? Then forgot to put the order in to bury the cable. And then Charter bought TWC and I got 300/20 service. So not that bad.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I think I have working cable/internet. Signal tests all passed, even without the new tap. Cautiously optimistic.

Talked with builder again, should be done within 3 weeks. Assuming current house sale goes fine, that's a 3.5 week buffer.

Countertops should be in this week.

Talking to last landscaper today.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Just in time for summmmmmmerrrrr!!

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Supposedly we're going to be done in two weeks.

I just made the list of outstanding items. It doesn't look good.

Finish Plumbing
Final Electrical (+ meter)
Yard clearing / grass seeding
Water heaters
Finish Guard rail
Finish Heating / AC
Propane Tank
Shower
Backsplash
Finish coat on stairs - I think they're getting a clear coat still?
Exterior window crown details
Decorative windows/vents/something at two front peaks
Driveway Paving
Inspections
Garage door openers
Porch skirt
Sheathing over bulkhead trimmed off
Under the bulkhead has settled and needs to be filled
Trim tar paper under deck
Broken basement window
2x Door knobs (these are ordered)
Broken front hall light
Microwave outlet
Closet shelving

Good news: countertops:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Did the kid come as part of construction, or do you already have squatters?

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
I think you'll make that deadline. Construction is always like that. Nothing seems to be coming together and then a day or two out it all clicks together and you wind up with a small punch list that takes 3 guys an afternoon to correct.

I'm impressed you haven't had any major issues or stumbling blocks. It seems like you had a lot of very steady progress.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

th vwls hv scpd posted:

I think you'll make that deadline. Construction is always like that. Nothing seems to be coming together and then a day or two out it all clicks together and you wind up with a small punch list that takes 3 guys an afternoon to correct.

Yeah, you'll have all the trades in there knocking stuff out. Plus you can move in without a yard, final driveway (heck we moved in 9 months ago and our driveway went in last week because of winter, lawn going in a few weeks). So they'll just focus on the things you need. And it's summer, you could even go without the propane tank (unless of course you have a gas water heater).

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

MrEnigma posted:

Yeah, you'll have all the trades in there knocking stuff out. Plus you can move in without a yard, final driveway (heck we moved in 9 months ago and our driveway went in last week because of winter, lawn going in a few weeks). So they'll just focus on the things you need. And it's summer, you could even go without the propane tank (unless of course you have a gas water heater).

Building inspector won't issue occupancy permit without yard seeded or driveway paved. But I'm not that worried about those, weather could gently caress us but they both take like a day and can happen while other stuff happens.

Propane is water, stove, and heat, but I bet we could hook up a little temporary tank in an pinch.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I went over yesterday to clear out some Japanese Knotweed. Cut it down, spray, and then start throwing it over the edge of my hill. Neighbor starts yelling saying it's private property and I can't dump there. Me & him had a good laugh once he realized it was me. It's nice to know the neighbors are keeping an eye out when I'm not around.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Get that man a good sixpack of something.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Short week with memorial day, only 2 days in and...

Back yard cleared.
Shower tiled (minus grout)
Most plumbing in (including water heaters)
Propane tank in & plumbed
Backsplash installed
Decorative thingies above/below windows

So yeah, things are moving quick now.

e:

First landscaping quote... $18k.. gently caress. Moving some things around there, hoping to knock of $5k+

Gounads fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 1, 2017

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Really liking the tile choice for the bathroom shower. Does your door for the bathroom open inwards towards the shower?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

KKKLIP ART posted:

Really liking the tile choice for the bathroom shower. Does your door for the bathroom open inwards towards the shower?

It does, not ideal, but better than on the other side.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I'd invest in a doorstop.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Budgie posted:

I'd invest in a doorstop.

Yeah, why not have the door open outward or to the other side? Otherwise it needs a hard doorstop in a place where one is always barefoot and asking to step on it (I don't know if I'd trust one of those little spring guys given how frequently they seem to just sorta fall off their mount), or wishful thinking that someone never slams open the door into the glass shower door (or have it blown by wind, etc.).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yeah, why not have the door open outward or to the other side? Otherwise it needs a hard doorstop in a place where one is always barefoot and asking to step on it (I don't know if I'd trust one of those little spring guys given how frequently they seem to just sorta fall off their mount), or wishful thinking that someone never slams open the door into the glass shower door (or have it blown by wind, etc.).

Hinge doorstops are for just this problem. A-la http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Satin-Nickel-Hinge-Pin-Door-Stop-15586/202033981

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yep, I use one in my laundry room where the door leading into the garage opens against a utility closet door. Door hinge keeps the door knob from the heavy door punch through the hollow core closet door.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

I've seen those damage doors and hinges, depending on the construction. Really, a lot of choice depend on whether the OP has kids, i.e., "mobile point sources of chaos and housing woe."

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I've seen those damage doors and hinges, depending on the construction. Really, a lot of choice depend on whether the OP has kids, i.e., "mobile point sources of chaos and housing woe."

Better the door than the glass. Kids gonna break poo poo. Put one on every hinge, spread the force! :science:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

H110Hawk posted:

Better the door than the glass. Kids gonna break poo poo. Put one on every hinge, spread the force! :science:

I'm reminded of a story my dad told me -- when he was about twelve or thirteen, he broke a window playing baseball in the back yard. He rushed down into town, bought a new pane of glass, and fixed the window before my grandfather got home.

Three days later, my grandfather offhandedly said, "By the way, you didn't completely repaint that trim on the window you broke," and left it at that.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Looking over the list from last week...

Finish Plumbing
Final Electrical (+ meter) - I think we're just waiting for inspections + meter now
Yard clearing / grass seeding
Water heaters
Finish Guard rail
Finish Heating / AC - This might be done, more work was completed.
Propane Tank
Shower - All tiled, needs door
Backsplash
Finish coat on stairs
Exterior window crown details
Decorative windows/vents/something at two front peaks
Driveway Paving
Inspections
Garage door openers
Porch skirt
Sheathing over bulkhead trimmed off
Under the bulkhead has settled and needs to be filled
Trim tar paper under deck
Broken basement window
2x Door knobs (these are ordered)
Broken front hall light
Microwave outlet
Closet shelving

Ticked off a bunch of big things there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
there is a disturbing level of structural integrity under that bathtub friend, might want to look at that.

• Locked thread