Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
loving hell that poor kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Apparently the prognosis is pretty good for him, especially as they seem to have caught it fairly early so it's very unlikely to be life threatening.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Probably a good thing him being a professional sportsman, having his body monitored all the time helps pick up abnormalities early. loving awful news.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Spedman posted:

Probably a good thing him being a professional sportsman, having his body monitored all the time helps pick up abnormalities early. loving awful news.

It also is nice that he's made some good money and I think bought a house in Perth so hopefully he doesn't feel the need to do anything from a financial perspective.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The club is already saying he will return to football in the short term so the prognosis must be really positive for that type of talk this early.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

My heart goes out to Jesse.

A mate of mine had testicular cancer, and had to have one of his balls removed. He, (my mate), recovered fully, and even fathered a child post surgery, so there is a good chance that Jesse Hogan will be OK.

But cancer sucks, and it is not a thing to be taken lightly.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
jeez what a month :(

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
And we're off! First player movement happens on day two of trade period. Clubs are all at AFL House this morning.

https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/864290513582780416

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/864295078495268865

https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/864295209978310656

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Sounds like they caught it pretty early and it hasn't spread yet. Hopefully he'll recover because christ he's had a rough run at it lately.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Testekill posted:

Sounds like they caught it pretty early and it hasn't spread yet. Hopefully he'll recover because christ he's had a rough run at it lately.

The club is publicly saying he will be playing footy again this year so it seems really positive

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Good to see Nick Stevens back at carlton

Don't even know what to say re hogan. What is he? 22?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Check your nuts.
Don't avoid doctors.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

Check your nuts.
Don't avoid doctors.

Dees Nuts

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1742328549127202&substory_index=0&id=518970694796333

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Kellie Gibson requested a trade back to WA, aka Fremantle, so that's the marquee spot opened up for Phillips at least

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hogan should be fine, if he doesn't have to go under chemo he'll get to play this year. Sam Rowe (incidentally who Hogan punched a few weeks back and missed a game for) had to miss a full year due to chemo and has made a full recovery. Has already phoned Hogan and talked to offer support.

hiddenmovement posted:

Good to see Nick Stevens back at carlton
Well, this one came from team prison stripes...
gently caress me.
Also, Darcy Vescio continues to be the best footballer off the football oval:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUIwX4dDooU/

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Hopefully this means Melbourne are more likely to get Tayla Harris (indirectly, I guess, seeing as they can't trade draft picks to Brisbane anyway)

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 16, 2017

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Poor Hogan, but good to hear the prognosis is good.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/864395905922777089

:swoon:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The key with testicular cancer is finding it early. I'm sure in his case they did, which is a positive thing. He could definitely come back 100%.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Along with Nicola Stevens in the navy blue today, Carlton picked up two rookies from Netball and Basketball.
https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/864375504249405440

And the Dees also picked up a basketballer rookie: (she's a blues fan so expect her at Carlton in 2019 if shes anygood :v )
https://twitter.com/melbournefc/status/864384166418300929

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Solemn Sloth posted:

Hopefully this means Melbourne are more likely to get Tayla Harris (indirectly, I guess, seeing as they can't trade draft picks to Brisbane anyway)

Only problem is that the Bulldogs would be well into the hunt and hold the first draft pick of any of the Victorian clubs. Basically you might have to get a player to move up to Queensland for her

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Testekill posted:

Only problem is that the Bulldogs would be well into the hunt and hold the first draft pick of any of the Victorian clubs. Basically you might have to get a player to move up to Queensland for her

It's going to be player movements regardless, because Brisbane aren't in the same draft as the Vic clubs. (Unless they've gone a national draft for year 2? I haven't paid enough attention post season)

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just lol at our injury list

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

realbez posted:

Yeah, it's kinda loving ridiculous. Just when you guys looked like you might put a decent stretch together, too.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I had some guy @ me on my ratings account wondering why I had Collingwood as a better chance to make the finals than Hawthorn (though neither will). He had some dumb theory about Collingwood not being as good in the wet even though the Hawks are basically shot for the year.

I mean, we could win this weekend, but it'd only be some fluke where the Pies just decide to bottle it. Which is possible...

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Solemn Sloth posted:

It's going to be player movements regardless, because Brisbane aren't in the same draft as the Vic clubs. (Unless they've gone a national draft for year 2? I haven't paid enough attention post season)

Yeah this. Brisbane won't care about draft picks at all. Their 4th round pick is worth as much as their 1st round pick really. In-fact they're better off to trade their first few picks to Victorian clubs who would want them.

Harris will come to Victoria if she wants to, Brisbane cannot stop her from leaving. She is uncontracted (like all AFLW players are currently until they are re-signed this and next week) and can go freely essentially, although Brisbane will want to get something out of it, but then that requires a Victorian club with a player who wants to go to Queensland because a club cannot force a player interstate.

It'll come down to three things: Which clubs will have the cash in their $40,000 ambassadors fund to spare ($10,000 per player is the maximum), who has the best facilities as Harris wants to be a boxer as well and training will be a big thing for her (Carlton by all reports) and who can offer her employment at the club year round.

Also where does she want to go, she gets a say in it too.

Until multiyear contracts are allowed and the draft becomes a national draft with a cost of living allowance introduced for players who would be moving to another city the decision is upto the players who in a way have more control than the clubs, such as Nicola Stevens who wanted to move and no doubt the deal was being worked out a couple of weeks ago given it went through at 11am on the second day of trades.

Edit: And if she walks from the Lions and there is no trade, the AFL will compensate the lions for that, in whatever way the compensation is.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Huh, turns out Dyson Heppel is a Richmond supporter

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

realbez posted:

Yeah, that came out of nowhere. At least we can trial more newbies now I guess.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Huh, turns out Dyson Heppel is a Richmond supporter

Are you trying to say his microwave mishap was no accident?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Nutsngum posted:

Are you trying to say his microwave mishap was no accident?

The timing is pretty drat suspicious

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
Reddit saying that Hogan's surgery went "extremely well"

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

ZombieJesus posted:

Reddit saying that Hogan's surgery went "extremely well"

The best. You wouldn't believe the surgery he has.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Solemn Sloth posted:

The best. You wouldn't believe the surgery he has.

Twitter is saying hes going to be handling balls in no time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

For the goons who picked up AFL Evolution - how's it holding up? Any further thoughts after putting more time in? "Flawed first effort" is what I can gather from most impressions.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

harperdc posted:

For the goons who picked up AFL Evolution - how's it holding up? Any further thoughts after putting more time in? "Flawed first effort" is what I can gather from most impressions.

It's ok once you get the hang of the infuriating marking mechanic. Lots of bugs that should be fixed up in updates (like the computer kicking Josh Bruce points from the goal square multiple times per game)

Richo's commentary is dire

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
A couple weeks ago my local newspaper's tipping competition had 60 people get all 9 correct.

People that don't send in tips automatically select the lower ranked team.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
The Crows have bought an Australian League of Legends team.
http://www.afc.com.au/news/2017-05-17/crows-strike-esports-agreement

Waiting to see if any other clubs dip the toe into the same field.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

That's good, I guess?

I mean, half the NBA just started up an eSports league with owned teams, so there must be something to it.

Really reaching here

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

LOL

• Locked thread