Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Fartbox posted:

yeah what the hell are they thinking

introducing new characters??? Fleshing characters out? What a bunch of clowns

No, dummy. While I disagree with him that this arc is boring (though the agonizing wait time between chapters is not helping), he's saying that the literal definition of filler is a story inserted between the pre-existing story that can't have any lasting impact on the plot because it wasn't part of original story. This tournament arc is whatever you think it is in terms of quality, but it is inherently filler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Who decided this will have no lasting impact? This is clearly an extension of the story not a random isolated piece of fluff

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Fartbox posted:

Who decided this will have no lasting impact? This is clearly an extension of the story not a random isolated piece of fluff

The fact that Suiryu is not in the webcomic version by ONE, nor has any of this tournament stuff come up in any capacity. The Murata version, and by extension the anime, are all beholden to the webcomic version which is at least two arcs ahead of this.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bisse posted:

I think a valid complaint is "this arc is boring". Regardless of if it's filler or written by ONE or whatever.

It also makes sense to call this filler. "Filler" doesn't mean not written by the original author, not canon, etc. Some OP fillers have had Oda involvement or based on cover arcs and other things. The main thing characterizing a filler is that it's inserted between already existing story sections. This means it has no room to incur real change on characters or events that come later, beyond fleshing out existing characters. And this arc suffers pretty obviously from that problem. See: Introducing a new character (Shiryu) with no connection to any existing cast members, just so it can have a vehicle for character growth.

It's not filler when it's fully authored by the original author to help explain the upcoming arc and its events.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
That's kinda dumb tho, filler's always been used to describe stuff like the endless padding in DBZ/OP, and without going into details, everything besides the tournament (and only the tournament, not even the parts afterwards) that's gone down is relevant to some degree regarding what goes down next so I don't know how it's padding.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Yeah, isn't filler usually used to describe arcs made up for anime adaptations that have run through the preexisting material? It's not like there's nothing for him to draw from, and as far as I know, One has a hand in writing it still.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, like, as much as I love ONE's version it very much seems to be a literal rough draft for the Murata version.

It's also worth noting that, as minor of a character she is, Lily first showed up in the redraw and was later introduced in the ONE version. So if anything there's evidence to the contrary of the tournament arc not mattering.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised to see Suiryu show up in a cameo in the webcomic down the line.

What would be more surprising would be to see a page of the OPM webcomic go up while MP100 approaches its 100th chapter.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

While I haven't read the ONE version, it seems like the arc kind of lost its focus during the initial attack by the monster association. Reminds me a bit of the plot of Spider-Man 3. Individually, the premises of each arc make sense. It's just when they'e combined that they turn into a cluttered, unexciting mess.

Similarly, a tournament arc could be cool, Garou could be cool, and monsters organising themselves and attacking the city while Saitama is gone could be cool. Instead, Garou's arc gets interrupted because of the monsters and the tournament, the tournament gets disrupted by the monsters, and the monsters are really boring.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The definition of filler is: "I don't like this episode/arc and I want to sound objective and smart when i say i think it's doodoo and wanna see main character win the thing"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

it's worse when manga readers, myself included, can drop in and say "the next part is really fuckin good guys" when it's been due to begin for a good couple of years by this point and no closer.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
filler is a word that referred to when they would air test patterns or pottery videos between TV broadcasts. it doesn't mean anything anymore and I'll dropkick it out of everyone's mouth

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I guess filler means different things to different people. I hope we get a new sliver of a chapter soon so we can get a respite from filler chat, however brief.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

And More posted:

While I haven't read the ONE version, it seems like the arc kind of lost its focus during the initial attack by the monster association. Reminds me a bit of the plot of Spider-Man 3. Individually, the premises of each arc make sense. It's just when they'e combined that they turn into a cluttered, unexciting mess.

Similarly, a tournament arc could be cool, Garou could be cool, and monsters organising themselves and attacking the city while Saitama is gone could be cool. Instead, Garou's arc gets interrupted because of the monsters and the tournament, the tournament gets disrupted by the monsters, and the monsters are really boring.

Yeah this is about how I would feel. This would work better if there wasn't three stories kind of overlapping themselves at the same time. It doesn't feel like an A-plot and two B-plots, it feels like three A-plots fighting each other for panel space and the least interesting one keeps winning.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No, filler has a strict definition.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I could have sworn it was universally understood to mean "new content that was not I the original work being adapted" but the lines are blurred a bit when the same author is there writing it.

I'm not concerned about whether or not it's filler, I'm just bored of it :shrug:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The most damning fact about the tournament arc is that it's thematically quite similar to the Sea King arc, only the pacing is worse and there's less at stake.

It's nothing we haven't seen before, and haven't seen done better.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Serious thread series : serious continous shitpost

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I guess one specific thing that's kind of lame is that the monster that's about to get onepunchmanned has existed for one and a half chapter and all he's really done is talk and rip a guy's hair off. Chapter could still be amazing but doesn't feel like much of a payoff.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm going to be laughing if the next arc deviates from the comic material. (I haven't read the comic)

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

I'm going to be laughing if the next arc deviates from the comic material. (I haven't read the comic)

This is kind of what I was expecting after hearing that this arc is 'filler.' I haven't read the comic either but it would be neat to see happen.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah anyone saying the stuff so far is "filler" hasn't really read or understood the next arc in the original series, since there's been some fairly dramatic expansions and changes already. I'd elaborate more but, you know, spoilers. But it's obvious that Murata's version is pretty much a parallel remastered director's cut sort of thing rather than just a direct port of the webcomic.

There's a lot of people here who conflate being impatient over a slow release with the actual media itself being bad, apparently.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Asimo posted:

There's a lot of people here who conflate being impatient over a slow release with the actual media itself being bad, apparently.

That's always been the case for serialized media. The claim of "badly paced" being the most common one after "filler!". There's been countless series where I got into it very late (or after it ended even) and it would be great all the way to the latest chapter, then I'd look at some recent comments and it's invariably "badly paced" according to the self-styled narrative experts.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 16, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ChronoReverse posted:

That's always been the case for serialized media. The claim of "badly paced" being the most common one after "filler!". There's been countless series where I got into it very late (or after it ended even) and it would be great all the way to the latest chapter, then I'd look at some recent comments and it's invariably "badly paced" according to the self-styled narrative experts.

I don't disagree but on the other hand the nature of the medium is to be weekly and it's not unreasonable to want an author to take that into account rather than "ah sure it'll be grand when it's finished, lads".

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Asimo posted:

The tournament arc isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but OPM has been so consistently great that it's still probably the weakest arc that's come out so far.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

ChronoReverse posted:

So, am I not allowed to criticise the awful pacing of the comic because it's also being released at a snail's pace? Surely, one thing doesn't exclude the other.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's a hard road, but I consistently feel affirmed that Never Read/Watch Anything That Isn't Done Or Has A Massive Backlog is a pretty alright way to consume media. Not excusing poor pacing on a writer's part and being part of the current wave can be fun, but I've found a lot of enjoyment in just consuming at my own pace.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

And More posted:

So, am I not allowed to criticise the awful pacing of the comic because it's also being released at a snail's pace? Surely, one thing doesn't exclude the other.

You can. It is just difficult to discern the two when the discussion is for an ongoing arc. Be specific on how the pacing is bad that doesn't just conflate with slow chapter releases.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its just that the stuff over the horizon is really fuckin good.
And the pacing, both of the manga itself (as compared to original) and the release schedule is just glacial.
Weve already seen rehashes of things, namely character moments, that were one and done in the original.

I keep saying 'yeah arc over lets git er dun' and then another arc appears.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's definitely the best way to do it though there is some appeal in week-to-week. Unexpected developments, payoff of mounting tension or mystery, or the impact of tragic events are all dampened when you can read through an entire arc on a Sunday afternoon. I can't speak for others of course but I find it nearly impossible to tell if something's pacing is good or bad until it's finished, the release schedule obfuscates it too much imo.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

And More posted:

Well sure you can, if that's what you really mean.

Complaining that content is trickling out slowly (bad pacing of releases) is a different complaint from "bad pacing of story" except to those who are unable to differentiate.

But too often, the story's pacing is being criticized along with the slow release rate in the same breathe. If you aren't doing that then good for you.

(Also, it's entirely fair to criticize story pacing but my point is that very few of the more vocal people seem to be able to do that objectively).

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 16, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

ChronoReverse posted:

Well sure you can, if that's what you really mean.

Complaining that content is trickling out slowly (bad pacing of releases) is a different complaint from "bad pacing of story" except to those who are unable to differentiate.

But too often, the story's pacing is being criticized along with the slow release rate in the same breathe. If you aren't doing that then good for you.

You be the judge:

And More posted:

Fine, let's not discuss this.
vvvv

It just seems like we could actually discuss what works and what doesn't work in this arc, but instead we're bickering about the definition of "filler".

And More fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 16, 2017

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I don't like the filler arc of this thread and I hope we can get past it soon enough

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

And More posted:

You be the judge

I don't see why I should judge? I wasn't even quoting you when I wrote that as a general comment.

Personally I agree that this arc seems to be a side-story but am keeping in mind that by the nature of a serialized story, I can't see the forest for the trees so I will at some point in the future read through it as a whole.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

AnonSpore posted:

I don't like the filler arc of this thread and I hope we can get past it soon enough

Do what I occasionally do when I'm jonesing for more awesomeness but the awesomeness is slow in coming: go back and re-read everything from the start. It's a nice refresher and can shed light on some things now that you know what's already happened.

Don't do it with the actual thread though. That way lies madness.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

the pacing of this thing has gone to poo poo

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm filler. Sorry everyone

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm filler. Sorry everyone

Hi filler, im dad.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Filler? I don't even know her!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

And More posted:

You be the judge:

I thought we agreed Jotaro would be the judge.